Heavy lifters, do you get offended when...?

Options
Lift_hard_eat_big
Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
Do you get offended when people who don't lift heavy, claim that they are heavy lifters?

According to these standards, I fall in between advanced and elite. I've been back in the gym for about 1.5 years now after a 4 year hiatus. I know some people at the gym that have been lifting for years and are nowhere near these standards for their years of experience, yet they brag to all their friends about how heavy they lift.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Replies

• _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    maybe theyre working their way to heavier weights? but i see what chu mean. im on my way but no where near calling myself a heavy lifter. i lift! but not heavy... yet
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    No because heavy is relative to each individual.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    No because heavy is relative to each individual.

This.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I use to be a heavy lifter. Now I am a thin lifter.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Do you get offended when people who don't lift heavy, claim that they are heavy lifters?

Heavy is relative., yes. But if someone says they lift heavy but they have been lifting the same 15lb dumbbells for 3 years, they are not lifting heavy.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    if the dumbbells aren't 200lbs then it's light weight light weight.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    More like annoyed with people that front. I'm far from lifting heavy right now. Heavy for me is lifting more than I weigh a few times. So I wouldn't brag about lifting heavy to begin with!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

I'm bettIng there are VERY few even on this forum who could even pick 200's up.

I am of course one of them...but still.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Heavy is relative., yes. But if someone says they lift heavy but they have been lifting the same 15lb dumbbells for 3 years, they are not lifting heavy.

Exactly, according to those lift standards, after a year or so, one should be lifting 'heavy'. Yet I see people in the gym with years of experience under their belts lifting like noobs.
  • kiachu
    Options
    25 lb dumbbells are heavy for me. 55 lbs dumbbells are heavy to me. Depends on the muscle group. Maybe people were lifting heavy at one point and maxed out their strength. There is a goal component and a genetic component.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Y u no use barbells?
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere - if you start with too much weight and bad form you hurt yourself. Starting small and working up is the way to progress.

The secret is increase weight as soon as you can do your sets/reps max without struggling to complete, and if it does not hurt the next day or two you have done no good at all. The actual weight you lift is not as important as those two things.

So no by some peoples definition I do not lift heavy I am lifting at 100lb dead lifts but only pressing 50lb - I will get better but it will take time....so do I count or not???

It depends on the person and how much progress they have made...hopefully by the time I can lift my wieght it will have come down enough to not be a world record LOL
  • kiachu
    Options
    And who freakin cares *L*
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I prefer to save being offended for things that really matter.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    That depends. What would you call heavy? My mother thinks I lift too heavy while the fellas at the gym probably think I'd be better off with the pretty pink barbie weights. It's relative. I'll get to lifting heavier and heavier as I go. :D
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    That depends. What would you call heavy? My mother thinks I lift too heavy while the fellas at the gym probably think I'd be better off with the pretty pink barbie weights. It's relative. I'll get to lifting heavier and heavier as I go. :D

Check out the link in my first post. I think it's pretty spot on in terms of how they classify lifters (untrained, novice, intermediate, etc)
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I fall into the same category as you, my interpretation of heavy lifting is working in the lower rep range. Singles, doubles, 3-5 reps. I think if you work in that rep range (the last rep being the last you can physically perform) then you are lifting heavy for your body. And as a result, strength will improve. I dont get offended easily either. That being said, unless you are entering powerlifting competitions, the weight on the bar is not of that much importance.
  • kiachu
    Options
    As long as you look like you can lift heavy it's all good!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative. What is heavy for me may not be heavy for you. What bothers me is people who think they are "lifting heavy" but they have ****y form. Drop 90 lbs. off of that squat and squat deeper.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    i must be doing something right, I get compliments almost every gym visit now from random people. :) I guess it helps being a skinny b#$$2 and strong.