Heavy lifters, do you get offended when...?

Options

Replies

• kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think it's silly to brag about it. I'm a heavy lifter for a girl and I just don't tell other girls anymore what I lift because they are intimidated. I can't help it if they SEE me lifting heavy, but I just don't say what I lift. Besides my goal is more to look good than the amount, but I can't help that the amount needs to go up as I get stronger. But I think it is different for the guys probably?

I don't care what the amount is. Only that I'm working hard enough. Doing the right amount of weights for the reps being done, or the super set, or pyramid, or circuit, or whatever.

The key is that you do the right amount of weight for YOU.

Exactly. According to the chart I'm at the advance level of everything. But I I stay in the 12-15 rep range. Why? Because I'm training for aesthetics not to be a power-lifter.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    "In my opinion, if you can do 15 reps, that weight isn't heavy enough."

Good to know.
    So the number of reps should be 8-10, with the last few very difficult?

It depends. If you are doing a pyramid 21 reps / 13 reps / 8 reps / 5 reps / 8 reps / 13 reps/ 21 reps
    The weight needs to be according to the set.

Other days are different routines, circuits, super sets, regular sets (10 reps), and all kinds of switching up routines (That is what is great about the Adonis Index Workout and the Venus Index Workout)

You can't lift heavy all the time (well you can)
    But if you change it up, well, it changed my body to what it is today. Been doing this workout a year now and out of over 30 years of lifting this is the best I've ever looked and the strongest I've ever been!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Good to know.

It depends. If you are doing a pyramid 21 reps / 13 reps / 8 reps / 5 reps / 8 reps / 13 reps/ 21 reps

Other days are different routines, circuits, super sets, regular sets (10 reps), and all kinds of switching up routines (That is what is great about the Adonis Index Workout and the Venus Index Workout)

But if you change it up, well, it changed my body to what it is today. Been doing this workout a year now and out of over 30 years of lifting this is the best I've ever looked and the strongest I've ever been!

21 reps? wholly moley. I've never done that many.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    I think it's silly to brag about it. I'm a heavy lifter for a girl and I just don't tell other girls anymore what I lift because they are intimidated. I can't help it if they SEE me lifting heavy, but I just don't say what I lift. Besides my goal is more to look good than the amount, but I can't help that the amount needs to go up as I get stronger. But I think it is different for the guys probably?

I don't care what the amount is. Only that I'm working hard enough. Doing the right amount of weights for the reps being done, or the super set, or pyramid, or circuit, or whatever.

Exactly. According to the chart I'm at the advance level of everything. But I I stay in the 12-15 rep range. Why? Because I'm training for aesthetics not to be a power-lifter.

Ahhh you limit yourself. You need to try Venus Index. You are ready for the advanced workouts already. You are already HOT, this advanced stuff I'm doing would be amazing for you. The standard 10 reps, or 12-15, that is old school stuff.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    No because heavy is relative to each individual.

This.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    No because heavy is relative to each individual.

Yep - This. When I lift, I lift to failure, and do between 8-12 reps. And I do between 3-4 sets each. My reps get less with each set. I bump my weight up every 2-4 weeks depending on what I have achieved (i.e. if I can now do 15 reps).

But do I get offended by someone who says he is lifting heavy? No. Why would I care?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I find this thread very interesting. I'm starting to do pure strength training, but I'm not going to be lifting weights. Once I can do one-arm pull ups and one-arm handstand push-ups, would that make me a heavy lifter? If I weighed 200 lbs when I get to that point, it would be equivalent to benching 400 lbs. Does that count?
  • kiachu
    Options

Ahhh you limit yourself. You need to try Venus Index. You are ready for the advanced workouts already. You are already HOT, this advanced stuff I'm doing would be amazing for you. The standard 10 reps, or 12-15, that is old school stuff.

I guess. I just move the weight up when I seem to be able to pump out 15 reps pretty easy. I'm just trying to get bigger. Its been working so far! I'm very old school. *L*
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    What is heavy is different to every individual. U have to start somewhere.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options

Good to know.

21 reps? wholly moley. I've never done that many.

Yep that last set is REAL FUN! LOL But we only do pyramids for a few weeks, and can do some circuit and super set days in between. Then we have some modified pyramids, and other stuff. Always something different, every day, every week, it's AWESOME and never boring. Any type of pyramid like that makes me sore every time.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Do you get offended when people who don't lift heavy, claim that they are heavy lifters?

According to these standards, I fall in between advanced and elite. I've been back in the gym for about 1.5 years now after a 4 year hiatus. I know some people at the gym that have been lifting for years and are nowhere near these standards for their years of experience, yet they brag to all their friends about how heavy they lift.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Maybe it makes them try harder. You need to stop worrying about what others say and do your own thing.

***POST EDITED BY STAFF for violation of guideline number 01***
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Well, you can imagine I am at the most, novice.
    However, I LOVE doing this so far.
    I already feel like superwoman (lol she's in there, somewhere!)

I have been doing the "old school stuff", but that's because I want to gain some strength/fitness and remain injury-free while I get a feel for all of this.

I will soon be ready for more challenge....I have higher weight/lower reps in mind.

I don't know how far on the Heavy-Lifting chart I want to get.

You ladies look beautiful, BTW:)
  • californiagirl2012
    Options

I guess. I just move the weight up when I seem to be able to pump out 15 reps pretty easy. I'm just trying to get bigger. Its been working so far! I'm very old school. *L*

LOL well I was old school for over 30 years. I'm glad I changed it up. If you want to get bigger you should try this. I can give you some sample workouts if you message me. Give it a shot.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    it's annoying as ****--or when someone tries to make my HEAVY lifting appear UNheavy. WTF?!? Seriously!?

According to those standards I am
    advanced/elite for bench
    advanced for squat
    advanced for deadlift

I want to try the power clean and power snatch but no olympic lifts allowed at my gym :( Babe maybe you can help me when I'm back! :)

Babe, you're the strongest female lifter I know! Lift to body weight ratio, you outlift many men I know as well! Of course I'll teach you power cleans and snatch when you're back with me :-)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use to be a heavy lifter. Now I am a thin lifter.

LOL
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am more offended by guys that load to heavy and do 1/4 squats. *kitten* to the grass is the only way.
  • kiachu
    Options

LOL well I was old school for over 30 years. I'm glad I changed it up. If you want to get bigger you should try this. I can give you some sample workouts if you message me. Give it a shot.

Holy Bajolies your 51??? Cheers to you! :drinker:
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    Why would I care? I'm competing against gravity, not them.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Do you get offended when people who don't lift heavy, claim that they are heavy lifters?

According to these standards, I fall in between advanced and elite. I've been back in the gym for about 1.5 years now after a 4 year hiatus. I know some people at the gym that have been lifting for years and are nowhere near these standards for their years of experience, yet they brag to all their friends about how heavy they lift.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm
    Why are you concerned what someone else says and/or does? (I didn't read the other posts... apologies if this is repetitive)
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    anyone who brags about how much they lift better be a damn powerlifter or i couldn't give less of an f
    I can't even tell you what my max bench is