Heavy lifters, do you get offended when...?

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do you get offended when people who don't lift heavy, claim that they are heavy lifters?

According to these standards, I fall in between advanced and elite. I've been back in the gym for about 1.5 years now after a 4 year hiatus. I know some people at the gym that have been lifting for years and are nowhere near these standards for their years of experience, yet they brag to all their friends about how heavy they lift.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

You sound like an egomaniac does it really matter? Maybe it makes them try harder. You need to stop worrying about what others say and do your own thing.

So you find bragging about accomplishments you really haven't achieved acceptable? In my mind, that's being a poser.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I am more offended by guys that load to heavy and do 1/4 squats. *kitten* to the grass is the only way.

Seriously, partial squints don't count LOL!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

I guess. I just move the weight up when I seem to be able to pump out 15 reps pretty easy. I'm just trying to get bigger. Its been working so far! I'm very old school. *L*

There's nothing wrong with 'old school' training. It's tried and true and will always be a staple of my training.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I can lift my weight and then some. Chinups, pullups, climbing trees and some damn hard yoga poses that require strength. Hand stand pushups? Got it. Pistol squats? Got it. This isn't a contest. I'm happy with what my body can do even though no "heavy lifting" was needed.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I can lift my weight and then some. Chinups, pullups, climbing trees and some damn hard yoga poses that require strength. Hand stand pushups? Got it. Pistol squats? Got it. This isn't a contest. I'm happy with what my body can do even though no "heavy lifting" was needed.

Chinups, HSPU's, pistol squats are no joke! Those are staples in many forms of martial arts training!
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    okkkayyyyyyyy then. Why did you ask?
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    "In my opinion, if you can do 15 reps, that weight isn't heavy enough."

Good to know.
    So the number of reps should be 8-10, with the last few very difficult?

It depends on your goal (hypertrphy vs. strength):

hypertrophy training utilizes shorter rest periods and more reps (10-12 maybe)

strength training emphasizes low-reps and higher weight with longer rest periods (maybe 4-6 reps)

To be strictly accurate, hypertrophy generally falls into the middle of strength and athletic endurance in terms of rep ranges. To train to get stronger, you lift something that's very hard for you to lift. As stated above, something you can do 3-6 times. If you can do it more times than that in a single set, it's probably not heavy enough to provoke the correct response to help you get stronger.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders aren't strong enough to be power lifters.

Power lifters are too fat to be body builders.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    So, for argument's sake, let's say a guy at your gym calls his exercise "heavy lifting."

And you call your exercise "heavy lifting."

Through course, it's made clear that your weight is heavier than his.

And?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Do you get offended when people who don't lift heavy, claim that they are heavy lifters?

According to these standards, I fall in between advanced and elite. I've been back in the gym for about 1.5 years now after a 4 year hiatus. I know some people at the gym that have been lifting for years and are nowhere near these standards for their years of experience, yet they brag to all their friends about how heavy they lift.

You sound like an egomaniac does it really matter? Maybe it makes them try harder. You need to stop worrying about what others say and do your own thing.

So you find bragging about accomplishments you really haven't achieved acceptable? In my mind, that's being a poser.

And in my mind the fact that you care this much to make a post about it your leaning towards pathetic. Who gives a rats *kitten*. I don't care what other people are doing in the gym I focus on what i need to get done. If your wasting that much time paying attention to others you could be doing more reps just sayin.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm advanced almost elite in every single one of those lifts, but I've only been lifting for 8 months. Is that offensive?

Who cares what people are lifting? It only matters that they ARE lifting.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    Really? I don't know Rae....Brandon and Addison look pretty good. I sort of see what you mean though...
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am more offended by guys that load to heavy and do 1/4 squats. *kitten* to the grass is the only way.

I can't squat ATG because I have hip displasia and chronic patellar subluxation of both knee caps and general tracking problems. Affects my range of motion. Added weight means added pressure. So I go parallel. I'm not going to criticize anyone. Nothing like trying to show off and getting your hip joint caught wrong and locked or slipping out of place. lol
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders aren't strong enough to be power lifters.

Power lifters are too fat to be body builders.

thats a joke right?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    okkkayyyyyyyy then. Why did you ask?

I don't have a problem with people weight training at a weight that is challenging or heavy to them. My problem is when people brag about being a heavy lifter, yet when you see them lift, their lifts are less than stellar. Specially considering how long they've been lifting.

The best example I have would be one who claims they are a yoga master with years of experience, yet can't do a basic pose.
  • LiftHuff
    Options

FWIW, I think this table is skewed to be a bit generous, or else I'm genetically blessed. I don't see myself as stronger than people of comparable size in my gym, but according to these charts I'm at a higher level than ~8 months of intelligent heavy lifting would merit.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Not at all
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

And in my mind the fact that you care this much to make a post about it your leaning towards pathetic. Who gives a rats *kitten*. I don't care what other people are doing in the gym I focus on what i need to get done. If your wasting that much time paying attention to others you could be doing more reps just sayin.

Good for you for not paying attention to what others do at the gym. But I'm a trainer at a gym so unfortunately, I have to pay attention to what people do and say.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not at all

Big a@@ tires...heavy lifting.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I can't squat ATG because I have hip displasia and chronic patellar subluxation of both knee caps and general tracking problems. Affects my range of motion. Added weight means added pressure. So I go parallel. I'm not going to criticize anyone. Nothing like trying to show off and getting your hip joint caught wrong and locked or slipping out of place. lol

I also go parallel. If that doesn't suit people then F-em.