At what age/point in your life did you meet your SO?

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    When I was 35, I had taken a year-long break from dating after a bad break-up. I was starting to question my judgment in men at that point. So, I spent the year improving myself, and treating myself right. I shed any reservations about going out alone to restaurants,concerts, movies and vacations. I hiked at least 15 miles every weekend, rain or shine. Life was good!

While I wasn't feeling the least bit lonely or desperate for male company, I decided to submit a personal ad to the magazine 'Vegetarian Times.' This was pre-Match.com. I ended up meeting two really nice guys, but one of them--my now husband--felt like a great match. We even came from the same hometown, and went to rival high schools.

We had two children together, and have been together for almost 23 years. I'm now 57 and he's going to be 69 next month.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 29 with 2 kids ages 2 and 7 at the time. He was my DJ at the strip club where I was a dancer. We were friends for years when we started dating when I was 32 and he was 35. We moved in together 2 weeks after dating.

The weekend before we got married, this is terrible but funny now, I had a bad car wreck, totaled out my truck on Saturday, his engine head blew on Sunday, and on Monday found out we were losing our apartment to foreclosure because the landlord didn't pay the lease.

On Monday, he had to work the dayshift and because I had 4 broke ribs and was on pain meds and recovering from a concussion he took me to work and plopped me into the VIP room and locked it so I could sleep, then when I woke up and went to the bar he called me to the stage. Flipped all the house lights, stage lights, everything on, turned the music down and had a love song playing. He Climbe up on the wall of the DJ Booth and got down on one knee balancing precariously 13 feet above a concrete floor and proposed to me in front of customers, other dancers, everybody. I said yes.

After the disaster my first marriage was, I never thought I'd do that again. So After ward when I went to the DJ booth to kiss him, he asks me New Orleans or Memphis. I wasn't sure what for, but said New Orleans of course.

That Friday with my kids' Godparetnts as chaffuers and witnesses, 6 weeks after dating, we got married in New Orleans. We thought we brought enough cash with us, but we didn't and they would not accept credit cards, so we had to borrow the last $10 to pay the justice of the peace to marry us. When we got home from getting married we were scheduled to work, so off to work we went. I had no wedding band of my own, I wore his mom's on long term loan until this year, when he got me my own. My dad had passed away when I was super young, but I knew he was the right man to wear my dad's wedding band that I had never taken off my thumb since the year my dad died. We can afford him one of his own now, but he prefers my dad's.

My husband is my world. I am no longer a dancer and he is no longer a DJ. He works as a IT tech, and I treat water for a living.

Sometime before the end of this year his adoption of my girls will be official. And September 14th is our 5 year anniversary, so we are returning to the scen of the crime to celebrate.

The best husbands can be found in the strangest of places when you aren't looking. Keep heart. If I can find mine in a strip club you will find yours.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have known my husband since the 3rd grade. We basically grew up together. We have now been married 20 years and have a beautiful son together.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend just over two years ago. At college. I was dating another guy at the time (been dating that guy for three years). Ended up breaking up with that guy. (Realized he was wrong for me after I started hanging out with my now-boyfriend.) Didn't really plan on it going anywhere, was mostly a friends with benefits thing. My boyfriend admits that he just wanted sex out of it. lol. But over two years later and we are living together. So it worked out :p He's 22 and I'm 21 (almost 22). So we would have been 19/20 when we met.
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I also was a single mom of 2 sons. I went on vacation to the Turks and Caicos Islands and met the love of my life!!! I knew it the moment I laid eyes on him..... we married May 26th of this year. We met last year, I was 39 :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    While were not officially anything yet(still getting to know each other, and deal with the stress of both of us starting new jobs), here my story.

I joined this website called meetup.com and a few groups for people my age. I figured the least I would do is make new friends. Well I went on a walk with this one group and some how him and i wound up at the front of the group together, while the others were behind us and we talked the entire walk and pretty much ignored everyone else. The following week at the walk again it happened where we wound up together but when the girl who hosted the event asked if I wanted to date or get married, I totally denied it. Well the host got me alone at another event where he wasn't there and goes so, what to do you think about so and so? you know he's single and looking.. would you go out with him? So I said yes, just to get her off the topic... and then she went and talked to him, he asked me out for drinks, and now we are trying to figure out when to go on our third date.

It's totally crazy how to happens when you aren't even looking. For a girl who wanted nothing to do with men and was planning to live my life single, I now find myself thinking eh, maybe this isn't so bad.
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Was in a horrible marriage for 8 years. After our divorce I vowed to stay completely single for 366 days to work on me. No dates, no men!!! Just learning to love me. My 1 year turned into 2. My relationship was very unexpected started out as good friends. We have been in a relationship for a year now. He is my best friend and has turned my life into all of the LIVE, LAUGH, and LOVE quotes I surrounded myself with in the 8 years of HELL!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Spotted him in our college cafeteria at age 19 (sophomore year) and we've been together ever since. That was in 1991. :bigsmile: Married in 1997 and have two beautiful sons.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Met him at 19, married at 20.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Met him when I was 13.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I met him when I was 14, he was 18. We remained friends and began dating when I was around 16. Nearing 5 years together now! :)
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was 20 when we met
    I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years in march of next year. He is truly amazing, we have been through our fair share of crazy times and bad times but the good always out weighs the bad with him :)
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I was in my 20s, going through a divorce & had a 1 year old daughter when I met my SO.
    We started out as friends, started working together doing security (rent-a-cop) for a company & within a year of our first meeting we were engaged. My ex- broke us up for awhile but we got engaged again. We've known known each other for 22 years & have been married for going on 21 years.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i had just turned 16, and was flippin burgers at Dairy Queen when i meet Tom.
    he was *apparently* immediately in love with me. i joked around to all my friends about how obsessed he was.
    we worked together for a long while, and everyone always joked around about how we should be together. but i didnt really like him, and i was always dating someone else.
    he went off to his first year of college, and that's when i realized i missed him. we had a very weird relationship. like a formal friend ship of sorts, and we would fight like we were dating and text all the time. when ever he came back into town we would meet up, talk, and eat somewhere. two days before my prom my *ex* boyfriend slept with my best friend. i called Tom crying, somehow we made plans to have a hotel after party after the prom. he was 19 at the time, and i was 17. i was his one and only. *corny moment here* but looking into his eyes that night i knew he would never hurt me the same way <3 . now, this is our 2nd year living together. on Tuesday i will be celebrating my 20th birthday with tom by going to a Brewers game! row one baby! i couldn't ask for anything better in my life.

everyone keeps asking when we are going to get engaged. over the last year we have thought about just going down to the court house and tieing the knot, but im in no hurry at all. :]
  • maurbec
    Options
    I was 36, he was 27....I was 1 year out of a relationship - he was going through the beginnings of the end of his relationship. That was 13 years ago....have been married for ten of those of years!
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was 13 and he was 17 when we met. I was a freshman, he - a senior.

My mother had told me I either had to take auto shop or home ec, and I didn't want to take home ec. I walked into the auto shop, smelled the dirt and oil and decided to go get a schedule change. Then the TA walked out, and he had the most gorgeous chocolate brown eyes and the sweetest smile and I changed my mind.

It took me almost 2 months of hard work to get him to notice me, or at least for him to admit to me that he had noticed me. We started dating a coupe of weeks after my 14th birthday, a month before his 18th.

We dated the whole school year, then he graduated. We got married a couple of weeks after he graduated (yes, I was still 14). We have a daughter and 2 sons, a grand daughter and 2 grandsons. We celebrated 26 years married this past June.

In those years we've cried over births, we've cried over deaths. We've held each other close, we've pushed each other away. We've fought, Oh, how we've fought... and we've made up. We grew up, and I hope with all my might that we grow old, together. That man is the absolute love of my life.
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Met my wife in college... A Statistics class. She walked in the classroom, my jaw hit the floor. I asked her out later that week after talking to her on and off a few days. Had a wonderful memorable time...

The next weekend we went to hear a local band .. she asked me to marry her. Two years later we did, now in October we will be together for 37 years, 35 married. :)

I was 18 she was 20 when we first laid eyes upon each other.

awwww this makes me so happy!!!! i love threads like this
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Still haven't met him. I'm the pickiest woman on the planet.

Looks like we're in the same boat love!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    so, I want to see it's possible... tell me your story.

Thanks for making this thread :) I got dumped by a man I loved who told me over and over he was going to marry me. I could use hope that I can take as much time as I need to recover and not rush to find someone new before the good ones get taken!
  • retain_some_hope
    Options
    When i was 20 and he was 22. We were best friends for 8 years, but he proposed to me recently and of course i said yes. I don't know what took us so long!!