I want to start running minimum/barefoot

Options
123457»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    TY Trim and Dianna for the advice. So excited now!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Any thought on the huraches?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Any thought on the huraches?
    The running huraches?
    I have a deaf friend who swears by them.
    I've taken out the padding in my minimalist runners at times to approximate, or get closer to, the same feel.
    Most of the huraches, though, go between your toes. And, just like the vibrams, eww. I can't imagine running with something between my toes.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    TY Trim and Dianna for the advice. So excited now!

Welcome!

This is an excellent video on learning to run correctly.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2011/11/02/magazine/100000001149415/the-lost-secret-of-running.html
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options

Thanks for posting! Great info.!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I started to do some 40 yard dash's with lately with a lighter shoe. I'm using Nike Free 7.0 V2's. They seem very nice so far after 2 weeks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Hey, you compare the drop in many other "running" shoes, 8mm isn't that bad really, you are on your way there.

And actually, even easier to practice the required method right now. Just land flat footed and turnover close to 90/180.

Here are some comparisons to see that 8mm isn't that bad.

http://www.runblogger.com/2012/09/recommended-zero-drop-barefoot-style.html
    That was helpful. My brooks pure connect are 4mm drop. New Balance minimus are my official ultimate goal
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Thank you all for the great comments! Everyone has been very helpful!

BTW...I'm still a little sore in my calves from running in my new NB minimus shoes. I'm just sticking to short runs till my legs are broken in. :bigsmile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great comments! Everyone has been very helpful!

BTW...I'm still a little sore in my calves from running in my new NB minimus shoes. I'm just sticking to short runs till my legs are broken in. :bigsmile:

Don't forget you can trade off shoes. Just keep same style/method in the old shoes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Today, as an experiment, I ran for 5 minutes (in hospital socks with the little no slide rubber thingies) on the treadmill. It's a very interesting experience as an adult.

And I learned that treadmills are kinda warm after you run 5k on them and then take your shoes off. Not hot, just warm...
  • perpetual98
    Options
    I used to walk on the treadmill barefoot but after a few walks I ended up with mild burns on my heels. Nothing major but slightly uncomfortable.
  • skinnylion
    Options
    I tried VFFs but had to return them after about a month because the insides of my big toes became numb (all the time, and even now almost three months later). I blame the fact that I was using them to walk on pavement. In theory, I think they are great shoes and I would love to have them again but ONLY if they were for outdoor grass/dirt activities.

Sure, it's "natural" to walk barefoot... but only if you do it on the dirt. Stay away from hard pavement.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I tried VFFs but had to return them after about a month because the insides of my big toes became numb (all the time, and even now almost three months later). I blame the fact that I was using them to walk on pavement. In theory, I think they are great shoes and I would love to have them again but ONLY if they were for outdoor grass/dirt activities.

Sure, it's "natural" to walk barefoot... but only if you do it on the dirt. Stay away from hard pavement.

I get that you're talking about walking, specifially, but I keep hearing people say that about running barefoot (or in VFFs)... but it's not really supported by anything. I could just as easily say, "Try to stick to harder surfaces, like pavement, and avoid spongy, squishy surfaces like grass." I prefer running on the sidewalk to running on grass; I feel like I can get a better run in. I may actually be slightly more likely to develop shin splints on grass than I would on pavement - not sure why that is. There's a big myth that running on pavement is too jarring and more likely to injure a runner... but it's a myth.

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/barefoot.html

And if the VFFs left your toe numb, my cure for that was to take the suckers off and walk or run truly barefoot... toe problem: solved. Works like a dream for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Can some of you guys that run like this please explain the advantages? I'm interested, but been running for 20 years in more traditional shoes. Thanks!

I am interested in it because I'm tired of shin splints and achy knees and I want to run all the way into my old age and beyond.

A really thorough explanation can be found in the book Born to Run. Awesome book! But basically a lot of people run with a heel strike which is BAD on the joints and body in general. Also shoes have too much cushion and restriction which prevents your foot from moving naturally when you run on the ball of your foot. The way shoes are made now (a lot, not all) encourages a heel strike and restricts natural movement.
    Back in the 70s running shoes were thin with very little padding and very few running injuries. It wasn't until thick cushion was put in shoes that people started getting all these injuries.

I seem to remember reading an article recently about a study with 'barefoot' or minimal shoes. These researchers put people in the shoes and taught them how to run in the shoes and followed the people for a while. The researchers found there are some people the shoes are good for, and others who are not helped much, if at all.
    Some people naturally will run on their forefoot. These are the people the shoes were good for. Some people could not learn how to do that. They naturally run landing with a flat foot or a heel strike. These people tended to have problems with the barefoot shoes.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Up date on my new, new balance minimus shoes. They are still awesome! The calf soreness is almost gone. My times are getting faster and runs are getting easier. Today I ran 5.5 miles. It felt great!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Up date on my new, new balance minimus shoes. They are still awesome! The calf soreness is almost gone. My times are getting faster and runs are getting easier. Today I ran 5.5 miles. It felt great!!

I was just thinking about this thread and wondering how you were liking your shoes!

I currently have 72 miles on my Minimus but am just about to lace up so I should have 80+ on them in the next couple of hours. I still love mine as well.

Glad you're enjoying them.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember reading an article recently about a study with 'barefoot' or minimal shoes. These researchers put people in the shoes and taught them how to run in the shoes and followed the people for a while. The researchers found there are some people the shoes are good for, and others who are not helped much, if at all.
    Some people naturally will run on their forefoot. These are the people the shoes were good for. Some people could not learn how to do that. They naturally run landing with a flat foot or a heel strike. These people tended to have problems with the barefoot shoes.

Can you happen to remember the outcome for natural heal striker who could teach themselves to run on the forefoot? I fall into this category, I changed styles about a year ago and am thinking about trying the minimal shoes.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Can you happen to remember the outcome for natural heal striker who could teach themselves to run on the forefoot? I fall into this category, I changed styles about a year ago and am thinking about trying the minimal shoes.

While I can not point to the article I can offer a slightly different perspective. I was a heel striker and still am if I run in running shoes. For some reason that is my natural tendency. When I run completely barefoot, I do not heel strike. I do not have to think about it. If I do land on the heel there is immediate negative feedback (pain) which corrects the problem on the next stride. :wink: When I use a minimalist shoe, I have to consciously remember to land properly at first. By the end of the run I am no longer focusing on my landing and do it naturally. It is amazing that 3 mm of rubber can reduce the proprioception that much.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Saucony Mirages are my favorites and have a little more support.. I also wear Saucony Kinvaras these are more minimalistic I prefer them for shorter faster runs