What are you reading?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "Ghost Wars - The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and Bin Laden from the Soviety Invasion to September 10, 2001" - Steve Coll.

Really fascinating, but very dense.
  • primrosehill
    primrosehill Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I loved 'Pure'. Not yet read any Iain Banks but am planning to do so. Latest current fav reads are Ned Beauman's 'The Teleportation Accident' and Cynthia Ozick's 'Foreign Bodies'. Ozick writes beautiful flowing prose which really gets you into the heads of her characters and there are no neat realist trajectories - it's life as we live it in all it's chaotic glory.
    Muscling my way through the (sometimes flowery) complexity of Consider Phlebas, by Iain Banks. Already really loving his ability to world build, authorial jealousy aside.

I really like Iain Banks, so will put this on my wish list! :D

I'm currently reading Pure by Andrew Miller.. not sure how to describe it so here is the Amazon blurb!

A year of bones, of grave-dirt, relentless work. Of mummified corpses and chanting priests.

A year of rape, suicide, sudden death. Of friendship too. Of desire. Of love...

A year unlike any other he has lived.

Deep in the heart of Paris, its oldest cemetery is, by 1785, overflowing, tainting the very breath of those who live nearby. Into their midst comes Jean-Baptiste Baratte, a young, provincial engineer charged by the king with demolishing it.

At first Baratte sees this as a chance to clear the burden of history, a fitting task for a modern man of reason. But before long, he begins to suspect that the destruction of the cemetery might be a prelude to his own.
  • threasarenee
    threasarenee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just finished up reading The Swan Trilogy by Celeste de Blasis which include Wild Swan, Swan's Chance, and A Season of Swans. All 3 are very good books, but my favorite would have to be Wild Swan. They are historical romances that span the life of a central character, Alexanderia and her family from 1813 to 1894 and covers many historical events.
  • threasarenee
    threasarenee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome!
    Just finished reading 'Zombies and *kitten*', by Carlton Mellick. This is classified as a "bizarro" novel. I seem drawn to these types of books as they are completely out of the ordinary. In this book twenty people wake up to find themselves in a boarded-up building in the middle of the zombie wasteland. They soon discover they have been chosen as contestants on a popular reality show called Zombie Survival. Their goal: be the first to make it through the zombie-plagued city to the pick-up zone alive.
  • LeighAnnH75
    LeighAnnH75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A Storm of Swords. Book 3 in the Game of Thrones series =)
  • cblevitron
    Options
    Carl Sagan's Billions & Bllions.

Also, Skinny *****. :embarassed:
  • AddA2UDE
    Options
    My Life & 1,000 Houses: Failing Forward to Financial Freedom by Mitch Stephen

AWESOME book!
  • xXxLxXx
    Options
    The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
  • lmhalsey
    lmhalsey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have all of these on the go right now:

Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell)
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Rachel Joyce)
    Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
    This Side of Paradise (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
    The Life of Charles Lamb (EV Lucas)
  • wluyando
    wluyando Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    50 shades of grey trilogy for the 3rd time =)
  • Sr_Ortega
    Options
    I just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It was the most amazing story!!!! I would recommend it to anyone.