May Day Challenge!

Options

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I was planning to go swimming in an hour, but having a hard time talking myself into going back out into the bitter cold. We'll see which side of me wins, the want to get healthy side or the freezing to death side. Or maybe they can reach a compromise! :)

Thanks you guys! I know, you didn't say a word, but just because I knew that you were all there for me, and I would have to report back to you, after posting this I was able to strike down freezing to death woman, and want to get healthy woman won the day! I worked out on my Wii fit for 30 minutes, and then went and swam 1/3 of a mile in 30 minutes. Woo hoo! Here's to smart choices!

I will say that I didn't get my hair quite dry after my shower, and some of it froze on the way to the car! :wink:
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME!!!!
    I am so proud of you for going!!!!
    I was thinking that today I would not work out and just see if I could stay within my 1200 calories... but then I thought... I wanted to do 60 min. a day/6 days a week... I want to get healthy! So I went ahead and worked out! After the first 3 minutes on the treadmill, I felt so good I was so glad I decided to do it!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that battles with freezing to death woman, or maybe I should take a break woman, or whatever other woman happens to be playing in my head!
    : )
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I know, you didn't say a word, but just because I knew that you were all there for me, and I would have to report back to you, after posting this I was able to strike down freezing to death woman, and want to get healthy woman won the day! I worked out on my Wii fit for 30 minutes, and then went and swam 1/3 of a mile in 30 minutes. Woo hoo! Here's to smart choices!

I will say that I didn't get my hair quite dry after my shower, and some of it froze on the way to the car! :wink:

Yea!:flowerforyou: I had to have a little discussion with sit-on-my-butt woman this afternoon. It was a fairly long drawn out fight, but I won! Of course it helps when Ruth, my 5 year old, asked me, "Mom when are you going to workout? I like the lady who talks to you on your remote." (Since it's too cold to walk, I've been doing the 20 minute free step on Wii Fit, and you can turn the TV back to a show while you do that. Then the "lady in the remote" cheers you on, calls out the time, and clicks.) Gotta love them kiddos!

3 days of exercise done!
  • betterhealth2010
    Options
    Thank you Rebecca

Nora
  • rebecca413
    Options
    I love this! Just the reason why I need to be on a site like this. Good for you, Mary!

Today I did a 5 minute warmup on the elliptical, 20 minutes of weights, and a one hour spin class. Feeling pretty good about that!

Unfortunately, I can't participate in the weekend challenge as I'll be at my parents house celebrating a big event for my mom. I'm really hoping I can keep the eating under control. I feel confident that I'll make it to the gym (I'm committed to not missing a day for the rest of the month), but I have so much trouble at events with lots of different types of foods. Ugh - I wish I didn't love food so much!!

Anyway, I'm definitely in for next week's challenge of no sweets. Good luck, everyone!
  • rebecca413
    Options
    Oh, messed up my post. What I was referring to when I said "I love this" was Mary's post about going swimming. :)
  • msh0530
    Options

Aunty Mary to the rescue, thank you for your willingness to throw some ideas out there. My biggest issue is that I need very easy recipes. Easy to me is very few steps and ingredients. If I have to go to the grocery store to purchase ingredients I've never heard of or wont use consistently b/c its specific to this one recipe I become overwhelmed and am less likely to follow through. Also, I'm a single lady w/no children so I cook for one. The few times I do follow recipes the serving sizes are for larger families and I don't know how to convert to a single or a couple of servings.

I seem to do alright w/making breakfast (oatmeal, omlets, muffins etc) but become a bit nervous when tackling a dinner.

Thank in advance.

Here are a couple of suggestions on cooking for one or two I found that I liked for a start. I'll try for more as I have time.
    ■Cook a batch and freeze single portions. For example, make a casserole or stew and freeze individual-size servings. Then take out only the amount of food you need. Be sure to write the date and contents on packages and move older packages forward as you add food to your freezer.
    ■Prepare one-dish meals. For quick and simple cooking, choose a dish that serves as the whole meal. Look for dishes that include foods from several food groups, such as meats, whole grains, legumes and vegetables. Healthy examples include beef, barley and vegetable stew; chicken, vegetable and rice casserole; turkey and bean casserole (made with turkey breast, white beans and tomatoes); and vegetarian chili with diced vegetables and beans.
    ■Use extras wisely. Plan meals so that you can use the extra food in new dishes. For example, cook rice as a side dish for one meal, then use the remainder in a casserole or rice pudding. Bake chicken for a meal and use the leftovers in sandwiches, soup or toss with greens, dried fruit, and nuts for a tasty salad. Or make a meatloaf mixture and bake some as a meatloaf and freeze the uncooked portion for later use in meatballs or stuffed peppers.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Well, because I may be too busy to post tomorrow morning, I'll go ahead and put in tomorrow's plan. Here it is:

Breakfast:
    2 pieces of Sarah Lee 45 cal. wheat bread
    2 tbsp of Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut butter:love:
    1 serving of canned peaches in peach juice
    Lunch:
    Grilled Chicken salad (1 cup lettuce, 1 cup spinach, 1/4 cup tomato, 4oz grilled chicken)
    2 tbsp Dorothy Lynch salad dressing
    1/4 cup shredded cheese
    1 Hunt's Fat Free Vanilla pudding snack pack
    Dinner:
    Subway 6" Oven Roasted Chicken Sandwich- lettuce, tomato, Red Wine Vinaigrette
    Bag of Baked Lays (flavor depends on what they have)
    Snacks:
    1 serving Quaker Chocolate Mini Rice Cakes
    1 tbsp Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter
    1 serving Great Value Baked Vegetable Crisp Snacks
    1 wedge Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese

That leaves me with 154 calories before exercise. Since I have to do pep band at a basketball game tomorrow night, that usually means lots of extra carrying, and walking, playing trumpet. I may have the second half of my sub (if I'm hungry:happy: ).

Saturday's plan (subject to change depending on where my SIL wants to go out to eat)

Breakfast:
    Special K Berries cereal (1 cup)
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    Lunch:
    Baby carrots
    Madarin Oranges
    Dinner:
    at SIL restaraunt of choice. That leaves me around 1000 calories (unless I exercise more:laugh: ).
    Snacks:
    carrots
    celery (greatest thing I ever did was learn to eat these two plain! I can eat them all day if I let myself:tongue: )

Since all of my in-laws are also working on getting healthier, the restaraunt choice will probably be one that we can easily find nutrition info for (Applebee's, Chili's, etc.). Hopefully I will find out tomorrow afternoon where we are going so that I can check out the menu and make my choices before hand!

Sunday's plan:

Breakfast:
    Breakfast burrito (2 eggs, a little Rotel, fajita sized tortilla)
    2 tbsp Peach Pineapple Chipotle Salsa
    8oz OJ
    Lunch:
    1/2 of Fazoli's Ultimate Sampler
    1 breadstick
    Dinner:
    Creamy Crockpot Chicken (cream of chicken soup, 4oz chicken breast, chicken broth, carrots, celery)
    1/2 cup brown rice
    2/3 cup baby sugar snap peas
    Snacks:
    carrots
    pears

I know the challenge was only for Friday and Saturday, but my weekends really tend to get shot on Sunday. Mostly because we drive 30 min to another town to go to church. While we're there, we usually go grocery shopping. This means that we need to eat out, or pack our lunch. We've been known to do both. Lunch may change depending on whether we decide to pack a lunch or eat at Fazoli's. It is our usually scheduled week to eat out, but if our grocery list is extensive, we may just take pb&j sandwiches, or ham and cheese sandwiches. (Good news, this week we probably won't need a cooler:bigsmile: )
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Well, because I may be too busy to post tomorrow morning, I'll go ahead and put in tomorrow's plan. Here it is:

Breakfast:
    2 pieces of Sarah Lee 45 cal. wheat bread
    2 tbsp of Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut butter:love:
    1 serving of canned peaches in peach juice
    Lunch:
    Grilled Chicken salad (1 cup lettuce, 1 cup spinach, 1/4 cup tomato, 4oz grilled chicken)
    2 tbsp Dorothy Lynch salad dressing
    1/4 cup shredded cheese
    1 Hunt's Fat Free Vanilla pudding snack pack
    Dinner:
    Bag of Baked Lays (flavor depends on what they have)
    Snacks:
    1 serving Quaker Chocolate Mini Rice Cakes
    1 tbsp Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter

That leaves me with 154 calories before exercise. Since I have to do pep band at a basketball game tomorrow night, that usually means lots of extra carrying, and walking, playing trumpet. I may have the second half of my sub (if I'm hungry:happy: ).

Saturday's plan (subject to change depending on where my SIL wants to go out to eat)

Breakfast:
    Special K Berries cereal (1 cup)
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    Lunch:
    Baby carrots
    Madarin Oranges
    Dinner:
    at SIL restaraunt of choice. That leaves me around 1000 calories (unless I exercise more:laugh: ).
    Snacks:
    carrots
    celery (greatest thing I ever did was learn to eat these two plain! I can eat them all day if I let myself:tongue: )

Since all of my in-laws are also working on getting healthier, the restaraunt choice will probably be one that we can easily find nutrition info for (Applebee's, Chili's, etc.). Hopefully I will find out tomorrow afternoon where we are going so that I can check out the menu and make my choices before hand!

Sunday's plan:

Breakfast:
    Breakfast burrito (2 eggs, a little Rotel, fajita sized tortilla)
    2 tbsp Peach Pineapple Chipotle Salsa
    8oz OJ
    Lunch:
    1/2 of Fazoli's Ultimate Sampler
    1 breadstick
    Dinner:
    Creamy Crockpot Chicken (cream of chicken soup, 4oz chicken breast, chicken broth, carrots, celery)
    1/2 cup brown rice
    2/3 cup baby sugar snap peas
    Snacks:
    carrots
    pears

I know the challenge was only for Friday and Saturday, but my weekends really tend to get shot on Sunday. Mostly because we drive 30 min to another town to go to church. While we're there, we usually go grocery shopping. This means that we need to eat out, or pack our lunch. We've been known to do both. Lunch may change depending on whether we decide to pack a lunch or eat at Fazoli's. It is our usually scheduled week to eat out, but if our grocery list is extensive, we may just take pb&j sandwiches, or ham and cheese sandwiches. (Good news, this week we probably won't need a cooler:bigsmile: )

Lisa you are AWESOME! What motivation, I know you generally plan in advance but I just want to stand up and and clap my hands at you. By 11 pm on a Thursday night you knew exactly what your weekend meals were going to be, thats wonderful. Knowing what the plan is beforehand can be so beneficial for staying on track.

Don't forget to report back to us (whenever you have a moment as I see you'll be busy) whether you stayed on track.

Great job again and good luck.
  • msh0530
    Options
    Here's today's plan, don't have time to enter the rest of the weekend until tonight, but I did plan it last night. I never plan every snack, so some will change.
    Taste of Home Diet Comfort Food - Spiced Oatmeal Mix, 1 cup prepared 210

Lunch
    Generic - Weight Watchers Spicy Black Bean Soup, 1 1/2 Cups
    Mama Lupe's - White Corn Tortilla Chips, 10 Chips 150

Dinner
    Vegetable Beef Soup,
    Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 0.12 cup
    Crackers - Saltines (includes oyster, soda, soup), 0.5 cup oyster crackers

Snacks
    Frigo Cheese Heads - Reduced Fat Colby Jack Cheese Stick, 1 stick
    Mary's - Homemade Granola Bars, 0.75 bar

Totals 1,147
    Your Daily Goal 1,450
    Remaining 303

Happy Friday to all!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Weighing in today . . . . . . . slow, but getting there.

Start weight: 144
    Dec. 25: 143
    Jan. 1: 144
    Jan. 8: 142
    Jan. 15:
    Jan. 22:
    Jan. 29:
    Feb. 5:
    Feb. 12:
    Feb. 19:
    Feb. 26:
    March 5:
    March 12:
    March 19:
    March 26:
    April 2:
    April 9:
    April 16:
    April 23:
    April 30: 125
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to All...Very proud ...I am back under my pre christmas weight
    Start weight: 290 (as of today)
    Jan. 8: 286.5
    Jan. 15:
    Jan. 22:
    Jan. 29:
    Feb. 5:
    Feb. 12:
    Feb. 19:
    Feb. 26:
    March 5:
    March 12:
    March 19:
    March 26:
    April 2:
    April 9:
    April 16:
    April 23:
    April 30: 260 lbs (30 lbs loss) in 2010.
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    4 workouts down this week! I had a little motivation issue yesterday, too. My lazy side had just about talked me out of doing my workout last night, and my 6 year old son came into the living room and said, "Mom, it's shredding time for you." Ahhh...out of the mouths of babes. I couldn't let him down!

Start weight: 176
    Dec. 25: 174.6
    Jan. 1: 173.0
    Jan. 8: 171.8
    Jan. 15:
    Jan. 22:
    Jan. 29:
    Feb. 5:
    Feb. 12:
    Feb. 19:
    Feb. 26:
    March 5:
    March 12:
    March 19:
    March 26:
    April 2:
    April 9:
    April 16:
    April 23:
    April 30: 160
  • twt1999brd
    Options
    I did two classes last night even though my legs already feel like they are going to fall off. Once I got going though they warmed up and felt better. This morning though, whoo, my calfs are killing me. I packed my bag to take a spin class today after work. That would be my forth night in a row going to the gym. I hope I see something on the scale tonight.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning ladies, glad to see so those that weighed in have lost a few pounds....Woohoo, Keep up the great work! Keep with this weekend's mini challenge, here is my meals for today. I have to think about tomorrow's a little later.

Friday's meal:

Breakfast: 1 1/2 turkey sausage links, 1 boiled egg, 1 slice of whole wheat toast w/5 sprays of Can't Believe It's Not Butter

A.M. Snack: 1 Tbsp Simply Jiff Peanut butter, 1 slice of whole wheat toast, 14 apple slices

Lunch: 1 cup of red grapes, 1 cup of Campbell's chicken tortilla soup, 3 cups of homemade spinach salad (cucumber, tomato, green/red peppers, sprinkle of fat free shredded cheese) w/2 Tbsp of fat free italian dressing

P.M. Snack: light and fit vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup of natural granola fruit and nut

Dinner: 1 cup of steamed broccoli, 1 cup of brown rice, 6 oz of homemade garlic shrimp (shrimp sauteed in a little of can't believe it's not butter, minced garlic, onion and celery)

103 calories left w/o exercising.

My workout for today is complete. I completed 45 minutes of the Biggest Loser "30 day Jump Start" dvd.

Chocolickkyss: 5 workouts completed, glad to know I met this week's challenge....WooHoo, WooHoo:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Start weight: 131 lbs (12/18/09)
    Dec. 25: 129.5 lbs
    Jan. 1: 130 lbs
    Jan. 8: 127 lbs
    Jan. 15:
    Jan. 22:
    Jan. 29:
    Feb. 5:
    Feb. 12:
    Feb. 19:
    Feb. 26:
    March 5:
    March 12:
    March 19:
    March 26:
    April 2:
    April 9:
    April 16:
    April 23:
    April 30: 123-125 lbs

It has been a good week. I've met this week's challenge by exercising for 5 days for at least 30 minutes. I've logged all my food this week and have been w/in my allotted calories. I've drank on average 11 glasses of water on a daily basis. I will participate in this weekend's mini challenge and next week's no sweet challenge.

Motto: "Equipped to win in 2010"

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!
  • patinpa
    patinpa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Weighed in today at 206.9, which is only a half pound loss. I'm not doing as well as expected. I have an appointment with the doc, maybe I have a thyroid problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Start weight: 177
    Dec 25: 178.9
    Jan. 1: 176.3 (-2.6)
    Jan. 8: 175.6 (-0.7)
    Jan. 15:
    Jan. 22:
    Jan. 29:
    Feb. 5:
    Feb. 12:
    Feb. 19:
    Feb. 26:
    March 5:
    March 12:
    March 19:
    March 26:
    April 2:
    April 9:
    April 16:
    April 23:
    April 30: 145

I thought I was going to do better than that this week, but I have caved into some comfort eating the last two days. I don't even know why--that is going to be my challenge today, to stay on target.
  • 5ktorunbyMay
    Options
    I'd like to join your May Day Challenge and weigh in on Fridays, too.:hajavascript:add_smiley('happy','post_body')ppy:
  • 5ktorunbyMay
    Options
    Jan. 1- 252.6
    Jan. 8- 251.6
    Jan. 15-
    Jan. 29
    Feb. 5
    Feb. 12-
    Feb. 19
    Feb 26-
    Mar. 5
    Mar. 12