May Day Challenge!

Options

Replies

• twt1999brd
    Options
    I made it to the gym last night and boy am I sore this morning. It was my first day back in over two weeks. Between the weather, traveling and the holidays, I got so lazy. But I am back! Tonight I am doing a cardio work out called body attack at Gold's. That class sure does leave you winded after an hour-but a lot of fun. The instructer is really funny and up beat.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    last night I did 20minutes of turbo jam + cardio party 1 for a total of 60 mins!
    Finally - I'm back!
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Yay, Yay, so many ladies are joining or rejoining, that's great. I'm so glad to learn everyone seems to be back on track and has the right attitude for the New Year. We clearly will have bumps along the way but we can and will be successful. My boot camp motto was: I can, I will, I must succeed!

Today's workout is complete. I rocked it out to Jillian Michael's "No More Trouble Zones" dvd and I'm tired. It's amazing how one day you can be all extra energized, ready to take on the world and another you can barely make it through the routine. I did everything that was asked of me (w/a break here or there) but was glad when the 50 minutes was finally done.

Chocolickkyss: 3 workouts completed.....WooHoo, WooHoo

Have a great day
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I did a little too much yesterday so I am taking the day off today for exercise. However I did cheet and weigh myself today and I am down a pound. It is amazing what following through will do!

Have a great day everyone!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I officially re-started my workout plan yesterday! 40 minutes on the treadmill, uphill incline!

Welcome! It's never too late to join!
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    I've been thinking about future challenges since this week's challenge seems to have people motivated and I would love for us to keep the momentum going until we reach our goals. The best way to come up with challenges is to better understand what we all struggle with. Everyone struggles with something when it comes to this weight loss journey or else we wouldn't continually stop and start the journey. Once we have a better idea of what some of the struggles are we can create challenges targeting that particular struggle (for example: if many people struggle w/drinking soda, one week we could have a challenge were we don't have soda for a week).

I have friends that struggle with eating too many sweets or chips, some don't eat breakfast, others are addicted to Starbucks.

My biggest struggle is actually cooking. I am single w/no children and don't really like to cook. While I don't eat out alot I constantly buy Lean Cuisine, Weight Watcher and Healthy Choice meals. While this is not horrible I do realize they are loaded with sodium. I also struggle w/my love for sweets/chocolate at times.

My struggles = lack of cooking and sweets/chocolate.

WHAT WEIGHT LOSS STRUGGLES DO YOU HAVE???????
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Well I have exactly the same struggles - don't like to cook. I don't mind cooking for other ppl, I try anyway, but I have issues and when I have seen anything raw like chicken, fish, beef, etc, I won't eat it!!!

I think a cooking challenge would be awesome. Example we can choose a healthy recipe for everyone to try, or since tastes are different we can aim to cook atleast 2x for a week. And even that's a lot for me. haha.

This will also help me with my other problem which is eating out on the weekends. I know like most people I'm good all week and the weekend comes and I blow it. Maybe by making cooking more this will prevent me from eating out or buying those prepared meals that only get cooked in the microwave.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Well I have exactly the same struggles - don't like to cook. I don't mind cooking for other ppl, I try anyway, but I have issues and when I have seen anything raw like chicken, fish, beef, etc, I won't eat it!!!

I think a cooking challenge would be awesome. Example we can choose a healthy recipe for everyone to try, or since tastes are different we can aim to cook atleast 2x for a week. And even that's a lot for me. haha.

This will also help me with my other problem which is eating out on the weekends. I know like most people I'm good all week and the weekend comes and I blow it. Maybe by making cooking more this will prevent me from eating out or buying those prepared meals that only get cooked in the microwave.

Nolachick, I totally agree that cooking 2x a week would be a huge challenge for me. What I have found out about myself is that I don't mind cooking breakfast but cooking dinner stresses me.

Hopefully others will post their struggles and we can tackle each of them one week at a time. If not, cooking 2x a week could always be our own challenge...LOL
  • lisawest
    Options
    Great idea ladies!! My struggles are sweets and exercise. (When I was pregnant with my son, I frequently craved sugar. Not chocolate or anything like that, just straight sugar:noway: )

I know there are several in your boat with the cooking thing. However, I can also tell you that there are people in this group (Mary msh0530:bigsmile: love you Aunt Mary!) who can give you lots of ideas and suggestions about cooking. She is the QUEEN of cooking ahead. Almost every trick I know, I learned from her.

Also, if you live in a large enough town, you may have businesses that help you create meals. They provide you with a recipe, all the ingredients, and containers to put them in. You come in, put the meals together, take them home and freeze them. Then you take them out, cook as instructed, and enjoy! A friend and I did this when we lived in the same city. We had a great time, chatting, cooking, and having a girls day. It's more expensive than doing it all at home, but it gave us different ideas for meals that I then added to our regular lineup. Something to think about!
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options
    One of my biggest struggles is staying healthy on the weekends. This weekend I'm nervous because we're going to my in-laws for a party and there will be TONS of yummy and unhealthy foods there. I am bringing veggies and dip, but I'm sure that'll be the only "healthy" snack there....
    Another struggle of mine is that I really just equate eating and drinking with FUN! :drinker: I wish I didn't have that mentality but it seems to be embedded in me. Growing up, some of the best times I remember are when we just sat around in the kitchen with my family, eating TONS of treats, laughing and talking and what-not. I'm sure this must be true for a lot of people. I'm sure I could sit there and still partake in conversations and not eat, or munch on a carrot or something, but it doesn't seem to be as much fun!! Of course I just have to remind myself that it's REALLY not fun fitting into any of my clothes.... Sorry to ramble, but that's probably one of my biggest issues. That and WINE- I LOVE my wine!!
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Great idea ladies!! My struggles are sweets and exercise. (When I was pregnant with my son, I frequently craved sugar. Not chocolate or anything like that, just straight sugar:noway: )

I know there are several in your boat with the cooking thing. However, I can also tell you that there are people in this group (Mary msh0530:bigsmile: love you Aunt Mary!) who can give you lots of ideas and suggestions about cooking. She is the QUEEN of cooking ahead. Almost every trick I know, I learned from her.

Also, if you live in a large enough town, you may have businesses that help you create meals. They provide you with a recipe, all the ingredients, and containers to put them in. You come in, put the meals together, take them home and freeze them. Then you take them out, cook as instructed, and enjoy! A friend and I did this when we lived in the same city. We had a great time, chatting, cooking, and having a girls day. It's more expensive than doing it all at home, but it gave us different ideas for meals that I then added to our regular lineup. Something to think about!

Thank for the suggestions Lisa, is your aunt Mary apart of this thread b/c I'm interested what she can offer a novice cooker like myself :smile:

As it stands the struggles are: cooking regularly, eating healthy on the weekends, eating sweets/chocolate and exercising.

ANY OTHER STRUGGLES OUT THERE?
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    One of my biggest struggles is staying healthy on the weekends. This weekend I'm nervous because we're going to my in-laws for a party and there will be TONS of yummy and unhealthy foods there. I am bringing veggies and dip, but I'm sure that'll be the only "healthy" snack there....
    Another struggle of mine is that I really just equate eating and drinking with FUN! :drinker: I wish I didn't have that mentality but it seems to be embedded in me. Growing up, some of the best times I remember are when we just sat around in the kitchen with my family, eating TONS of treats, laughing and talking and what-not. I'm sure this must be true for a lot of people. I'm sure I could sit there and still partake in conversations and not eat, or munch on a carrot or something, but it doesn't seem to be as much fun!! Of course I just have to remind myself that it's REALLY not fun fitting into any of my clothes.... Sorry to ramble, but that's probably one of my biggest issues. That and WINE- I LOVE my wine!!

You are not alone regarding equating fun w/food and drinking. I mean how often do we get together w/friends for dinner or drinks and the bars don't help w/happy hour everyday. My friends don't like me very much sometimes b/c I still go to the events but I don't eat or drink. I'm still able to enjoy myself b/c I remind myself it's about the company and not the food.

Do your in-laws have parties frequently and how often do you drink wine? I ask b/c I feel like you can have these moments as long as you're not doing it every weekend or drinking wine every night. Remember, moderation. If you totally deprive yourself of everything you enjoy all the time you'll be miserable.

Baby steps. Perhaps we can figure out a challenge that will have us all focus on this area.
  • betterhealth2010
    Options
    Exercise done for today! Another 20 mins of weights and 35 on the elliptical. And, btw, it's FREEZING in Virginia too! :grumble:

Hi Rebecca,

What type of weights do you do? I have 1, 3, 5 and 8 pound weights but really don't know what to do with them other than bicep curls. Any ideas will help.

Nora
  • betterhealth2010
    Options

Hi Annerssju,

I can TOTALLY relate. I have five sisters that I hang out with as well as friends and everytime we get together we are eating, laughing and drinking and we do this often. This has been going on for years. We have agreed that this year we will attempt not to do that. We are trying to come up with outdoor activities that do not lead to a restaurant or someone's house grilling, cooking and drinking. I know its not going to be easy to do but I'm sure WE (which includes you) can break this habit. Don't get me wrong, we are not going to give it up totally we are just trying to not do it as much. :wink: Good Luck. I know you can do it.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Exercise done for today! Another 20 mins of weights and 35 on the elliptical. And, btw, it's FREEZING in Virginia too! :grumble:

Hi Rebecca,

What type of weights do you do? I have 1, 3, 5 and 8 pound weights but really don't know what to do with them other than bicep curls. Any ideas will help.

Nora

A lot can be done with your weights but you might fair better buying a dvd that uses them in their routine so you don't have to figure it out by yourself. There are some Biggest Loser and Jillian Michael's dvds that are pretty good. Hope you find something that helps.
  • rebecca413
    Options

Hi Rebecca,

Nora

Hi Nora,
    I was on break from school in December and worked out with a trainer. She introduced me to the actual weight machines and gave me a routine to follow. I do "push muscle" weights on one day and "pull muscle" weights on the next. These include things like leg curls, rower, ab curls, etc. I'm still trying to get used to it. I'm sure the same results could be accomplished with free weights. Hope this helps!

And for today, I did 45 minutes on the treadmill - most of it on a 15% incline - that's tough!!

Rebecca
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

Thank for the suggestions Lisa, is your aunt Mary apart of this thread b/c I'm interested what she can offer a novice cooker like myself :smile:

As it stands the struggles are: cooking regularly, eating healthy on the weekends, eating sweets/chocolate and exercising.

ANY OTHER STRUGGLES OUT THERE?

Yes, Aunt Mary is here. When I was young, I struggled every night with "What do I fix? How do I get the meat thawed?" and other challenges. (Yes, that was pre-microwave days.) I finally forced myself into a habit of making a menu for a month at a time, buying all groceries that would keep, making a small weekly or so list of perishables to go back to the store for. Then I could get up in the morning, look at the menu, set out meat or do whatever needed done ahead, and go on with my day. I also hate to go to the grocery store, so this works well for me. The checkers at the local store know me, and probably hate to see my loaded cart coming, but also know that they aren't likely to see me again for several weeks. I am also addicted to cookbooks and trying new recipes - ask my poor husband who hardly ever gets the same meal twice! Tell me your specific problems/questions, and I will try to help. Got to go mix a batch of my own oatmeal mix (I don't use those nasty packets.)
  • lisawest
    Options
    Day 3 of exercise challenge done!

Weighed in for our Biggest Looser competition at work today. They had us weigh in with shoes and everything. Interesting. When I got home I weighed myself on my scale. Minus the shoes, sweater, etc. I was 7 lbs lighter than I weighed at school. Hmmm. (Although I admit that I had on my hiking shoes.)

I saw a new quote today, that I really liked. If you quit, you'll never achieve your goal.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I would love to join your challenge if i can.

My birthday is April 18th and my anniversary is May 6th. I would like to be down 30 lbs by end of April.
    Start weight: 290 (as of today)
    Jan. 8:
    Jan. 15:
    Jan. 22:
    Jan. 29:
    Feb. 5:
    Feb. 12:
    Feb. 19:
    Feb. 26:
    March 5:
    March 12:
    March 19:
    March 26:
    April 2:
    April 9:
    April 16:
    April 23:
    April 30: 260 lbs (30 lbs loss) in 2010.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome, lildebbie! Glad you are here!