• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    No thankyou.

flu shot = sick with the flu within a week
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Many hospitals are doing that...and so much more..we have one here that is going to start enforcing BMI ratings on all employees not sure what the ratings are yet but that's what I heard.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    here we are being forced and if you dont, then you have to wear a mask at all times, i dont care tho, ive always just got it
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I can understand it at a hospital.

Anywhere else though ...

I personally don't get my flu shot.
    I don't ever get the flu... Now if there was a strep throat shot I would be lined up in seconds, I always seem to catch that one... Dang tonsils.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I thought this was standard practice? If you work in a hospital or nursing home, you have to have your shots. If it were in any other workplace, then I'd be against it. Honestly, I never get the flu and never get the shot, half the people who get the shot get the flu at work! lol
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I never thought I needed the flu shot....

then a few years ago, I got hit hard with the flu I was out for THREE WEEKS.

So either you have the vacation time, or if your work happens to give you three weeks of "paid sicktime" or they can fire you for Job abandoment, which is perfectly legal.

When the swine flu came around that first year, I had gotten the regular flu shot but not the one for the swine flu, But my wife and kids had gotten the shots.....Guess what I had gotten it.... out 2 weeks.....poof see ya vacation time.....It also went through our work and cost thousands of dollars of management time.

The flu vacine is a good thing, take it. Why would you want to be miserable for 2-3 weeks? Throwing up with chills and a fever?
  • rainbowcandy2004
    Options
    I think it should be a personal choice...the one time I got the flu shot I was sick within a week and I had a neverending cold all winter long.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I thought this was standard practice? If you work in a hospital or nursing home, you have to have your shots. If it were in any other workplace, then I'd be against it. Honestly, I never get the flu and never get the shot, half the people who get the shot get the flu at work! lol

doubtful, they probably get a cold or a virus, not the flu. I used to think this way when I was your age, after a couple of kids and getting my butt kicked twice by the flu, I am a solid believer in the shot or spray.

Plus people, it is a mist spray in the nose now, $25 and 2 seconds your done.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options

doubtful, they probably get a cold or a virus, not the flu. I used to think this way when I was your age, after a couple of kids and getting my butt kicked twice by the flu, I am a solid believer in the shot or spray.

Plus people, it is a mist spray in the nose now, $25 and 2 seconds your done.

It depends on where you live and where you get it...........................
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes its should be your choice but the last few yrs i have had the flu shot myself so i see nothing wrong with it! If you don't have it and get the flu you REALLY will wish you did have it belive me! :bigsmile:
    and to be honest what's one small prick in the grand sceame of things?:bigsmile:
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    The hospital, community health, mental health, social services and ambulance services here are now mandatory too. For those who are allergic, there's a couple of alternatives but most of us will just bite the bullet and take the shot. I react about one year in 3.
    It sucks that we're faced with being forced to do it. Even though I would have had the shot this year anyway for my own health reasons, I still hate being told that I have to do it.
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Nope. I very much do not believe in them and would absolutely refuse, I would not use religious reasons, when they fired me, I'd sue their god damn *kitten* off their freaking faces. (obviously, I feel very strongly about ths).

This pretty much sums it up for me too :bigsmile:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    and surely if YOU care anything for the patents you would get it done right??? :noway:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    All of a sudden, it would be against my religion to get a flu shot.

This.

Say you're a Jehovah's Witness. If they push back, ask for their home address so you can visit them regularly in the evenings, around dinnertime, to proselytize.

--P
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    and surely if YOU care anything for the patents you would get it done right??? :noway:

There are these things called surgical masks and gloves that do a pretty good job of protecting the people wearing them, as well as the people around them. In fact, most hospitals I know of force people to wear those if they refuse the flu shot. I can see the benefit of getting a flu shot if you do work in a healthcare setting, but threatening to fire people if they don't is crossing a line. I work in a pharmacy, and it's not mandatory, but they definitely try to pressure you into getting them. I haven't gotten the shot in the four years I've worked there, and I also haven't gotten the flu in the four years I've worked there.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely refuse. Contains thimerosol.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you work around the elderly, infants or immune compromised people get the shot, if you don't want to, quit or get fired. People go to the hospital to get better, not get sicker because someone working there refuses to not spread a potentially lethal virus. Worked in healthcare long? Doesn't seem like it if your unwilling to do everything you can to keep yourself and your patients well.

Agreed. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the shot, other than some "I don't want to because they're forcing me" business. And I would hope anyone in the healthcare industry would know thimerosol is nothing to worry about. Makes your chances of getting sick and inadvertently killing an elderly person much lower.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    If you work around the elderly, infants or immune compromised people get the shot, if you don't want to, quit or get fired. People go to the hospital to get better, not get sicker because someone working there refuses to not spread a potentially lethal virus. Worked in healthcare long? Doesn't seem like it if your unwilling to do everything you can to keep yourself and your patients well.

Agreed. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the shot, other than some "I don't want to because they're forcing me" business. And I would hope anyone in the healthcare industry would know thimerosol is nothing to worry about. Makes your chances of getting sick and inadvertently killing an elderly person much lower.

I don't want the shot because I've had adverse reactions to vaccines in the past, so I don't see the point of getting one when there are plenty of other ways to avoid getting sick and getting other people sick.
  • PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The hospital I work at is now doing the same...get the flu shot OR wear a mask at all times. Guess I'll be wearing a mask. For all that make the comment "if you really care for your patients"...blah, blah, blah, I'm more likely to get all kinds of disgusting organisms FROM the patients that cough and spew in the faces of the people taking care of them. And for the comments like "work in health care long?", as a matter of fact, yes, almost 30 years. I've also worked on a Respiratory care unit for at least the last 10 years and have NEVER gotten the flu shot OR the flu in all those years. An employer should NOT be able to force employees to have any kind of medical treatment, preventative or otherwise. What's next, if you get pregnant you get fired. It's a personal choice and an employer shouldn't be able to make that decision for you. Apparently they realize that they legally can't force you to have the flu shot, so they try to coerce you into getting it by saying that you have to wear a mask at all times if you don't get it. They figure that wearing a mask all the time will be such a pain in the *kitten* that people will just give in. I wonder how long it will be before they decide that they are spending too much money on masks? I already have to wear a mask for most of my shift just to prevent myself from getting sick from my patients, so it's no big deal to wear one the whole time.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I will always come down on the side of the medical profession. But I have regular IV transfusions of a crazy drug cocktail for my arthritis that switch me from cripple to very mobile, so I have a lot of faith and respect.