Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'd just gotten to work. Everybody was in the break room watching TV. And at the time the second plane hadn't crashed yet. So we thought it was some bizarre accident.

Then the second plane.

And my heart fell. I'll never ever forget the horror of that day.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was unemployed at that time and working out at home. My girlfriend called me and told me to turn on the tv. I thought I was watching a movie and she said that's what actually happening. When I turned on the tv that's when I saw the second plane hit the tower. I was stunned and just started to cry.

A friend of mine was suppose to be on the one that hit the Pentagon. However the business in DC where he was interviewing called him the day before and told him they had to reschedule his interview for the following week.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    I was in 10th grade in math class, we were on a break and one of the students came running back into the room saying that a plane had hit the Pentagon, we argued with him saying that that was restricted air space and you can't just fly over it. A few minutes later we were all in another classroom watching the TV showing the footage of not only the pentagon but the Twin Towers. We did have normal classes that day and no one got sent home, I remember the feeling of shock and confusion that all of us walked around with that day.
    I'll never forget.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was blissfully unaware doing my rounds to see my patients. I finished up and went to my childminder to collect my son - she opened the door in floods of tears and showed me what was on the telly.

I live in the UK but it was still surreal, shocking and heartbreaking. In remembrance :heart:
  • grumpster72
    grumpster72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was at work and I couldn't believe what was happening. I work in IT at an Ivy League University and didn't know what to do or if we were next. When everything was occurring, it was so hard to believe what was going on that it felt like a dream (really a nightmare). It wasn't until later in the day that everything sort of sank in.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I was at work, and someone had said that a plane had hit one of the towers, but made it sound like it was just a small plane...an accident. I was glued to the web for any information I could find. My hubby's sister worked at the WTC. Panic ensued mostly until we were able to find out she was okay. It was a time when I was dumbstruck and full of pain and grief.

It was a quiet day, one of disbelief. It didn't seem real at the time, but the video footage was right there in front of us.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I had just started my freshman year of high school. Once we got word of what was going on, all we did the rest of the day was keep our eyes glued to every TV in every class. It was heartbreaking knowing that this tragedy was happening only 100 or so miles to the south of where I sat.

11 years later, I'm proud to say I work in the NYS Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Services-Fire Prevention and Control. I work with firefighters who went down to NYC that day to help with the aftermath and recovery efforts. I'm so thankful that I'm able to share 5 days out of every week with heroes. We have dogs in the office that are now retired that walked through the rubble to help find people who were trapped or dead.

9/11 hits me so hard every year. We have photos and posters everywhere. on the wall directly in front of my desk is a poster of the iconic photo of three firefighters erecting the flag at ground zero. there's another poster in one of our branch offices which bears the names and photos of all the FDNY personnel who died. the names of the 343 firefighters who lost their lives that day are engraved on a granite wall in the capitol plaza two blocks from my office, which I help maintain and I also help get the names of other fallen firefighters onto that wall.

For weeks before and after this day, my mind is stuck on nothing but the events of that day and those poor people in the buildings and on the planes. Our museum has a huge collection of items recovered from the site, including an FDNY fire truck that was damaged and still has remnants of soot and dust from the collapse on it, not to mention one of the steel beams of the buildings.

I'm so glad I can be around these people who put their lives on the line every day to save others.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone could remember just how much the world changed for Americans on that day, and stop *****ing about the "inconviences" that we now live with because of this tragic event. There are over 5000 people who would LOVE to be dealing with these inconviences every day rather than what happened to them on that day, and countless more family members who miss them.

One wrong doesn't make good another wrong.

Explain this to me for example, every airplane passenger stopping over in America whether they are staying there or not, needs to get an Esta form. Which basically is 'give me your name and passport number and pay a large amount of money'. The theory of course is that this will help find unwanted subjects. But really, names and passport numbers are already available at the airplane company, so no reason to use this Esta. Also, the people this is intended to catch will have no problem getting fake id's which will allow them to go through this process without any problems.

This is obviously just an example. But in general terms, safety is only on of the rights that people have, you cannot throw away the other rights and then say you still live in freedom because you have safety.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Just got back from PE and was about to start math class. I was 10. I didn't even know what the twin towers were but I remember watching it on TV and crying my eyes out
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I sat in this very building, watching in horror as images flashed over the net of those towers falling. I knew my young son, just 6 was watching it on channel one at school. I was saddened for him, and scared for this country. I felt things in this country would never be the same. Remember- out of tragedy greatness rises up. Rise up America! Take back your lives, your neighborhoods, your rights. Respect yourselves, and your bodies. Teach your children that freedom isn't free, and NEVER forget the sacrifices of the last 11 years!
  • terri1020
    Options
    I was a kindergarten teacher in NJ. Many of our students in the school had parents or relatives working in the tower. I know two families who lost loved ones and many who escaped by the grace of God. My cousin is an emergency nurse practitioner who waited and waited to treat the wounded. None ever came... That day is etched in my mind forever.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was a freshman in high school and we were sitting in our World Civ class with Mr. Decaroli (RIP) and we watched the planes strike and the towers fall. They wouldn't let us switch classes. We live in an area that still has a lot of weaponry from WWII and factories that manufactured it were still open and they kept us in class and then sent every straight home, for fear of a possible attack where we live.
  • jenjen0214
    Options
    I was on my way to work when the first plane hit. That day, the entire office stayed close to the phone and the television reliving the horrification that was 9/11. My heart cries when I remember the tragic loss to all the families involved. I lost friends and co-workers, I will never forget this monumental time.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    Options
    I was serving in the Air Force stationed at the Air Force Academy in CO. My son (who was 4mos old then) was at the base daycare and I was in the process of posting guards at entrances as our base went in lockdown and we moved into 12 hour shifts and made calls to ensure we had accountability for all military personnel assigned to our squadron.

I was able to get home (w/ my son) later that night and that's when I was able to breath for a moment and breakdown and cry. I will NEVER forget where I was that day.
  • kellyr0219
    Options
    I was in college and just finished up a morning class on my way to my part time job when I heard about it on the radio. I was so confused as to what was going one. When I arrived at my job everyone was standing around tv's, and my mom who was working there also at the time was in tears as my Dad's friend was on one of the planes. Will never forgot the lives lost that day!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation at my cottage.(In NY) My husband and daughter who was 3 went into Watertown to pick some things up. I stayed back to workout. After my workout, I was rewinding my VHS tape, and the TV was on. I saw the second plane hit. At first I thought it was some movie. I continued to watch and became panicked. I was all alone and my family was near Fort Drum. I was so afraid of what the next target would be. My mind was racing, was my family ok, should we go home..was it safer near Ginna or Niagara Mohawk and Fort Drum...We spent the next week there as we watched the Air Force patrol the lake shore. Very scary...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I was on the bus, on my way to school. Grade 10. That's when I first heard about it. Of course, I didn't believe what had happened. I can't remember what happened that day at school though. All I remember was the bus ride in.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Wondering why the cartoons werent on in the morning before I headed off to primary school
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I remember that day vividly. It was the day after my birthday and I decided to take the first half of the day off because I had a late night out. I was online when news of the first plane hitting began to spread so I turned the T.V. on for live coverage. As I was watching T.V. I saw the second plane plow into Tower #2. It was in that instant that I decided I needed to shed a few pounds. What does weight have to do with a terror attack you ask? Well I needed to shed those extra pounds because when I saw the second plane hit that tower on live television I knew then that it was no accident and as I sat there appauled and angry I decided I had to do something; for me that something was to re-enlist in the military by means of the Minnesota Army National Guard (134th FSB Red Bulls).
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    In the air on my way to teach a class in Miami, Florida. We were grounded in Atlanta, but the airlines would not tell us what was going on. I called my dad when we landed and found out that as I waw walking up the jetway the pentagon was under attack. I then spent the rest of the day trying to secure a rental car to drive home from Georgia to Kentucky. I remember thinking at the time, Holy Crap!!!! That could have been my plane as easy as any other!!!! Pretty eye-opening experiance!!!!