Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    7th grade, when i got to school i started hearing whispers in the hallways about how a plane was highjacked, but didn't think much more than-- "i hope it works out and everyone on the plane is safe." i just went to class. suddenly, i heard some other kids shouting and running room to room telling everyone to turn on the news. my english teacher turned the news on and we saw the 2nd tower go down live. the teacher scrapped the lesson and just had us write in our journals our thoughts about what was happening. most of my classes just watched the news for the rest of the day.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my office working when my husband texted me to say a small plane had hit one of the Towers, as that was all that had been said here at the beginning.

I asked my manager if we could put the TV on as my husband had said something worse was happening, and the whole team just stood there dumbfounded watching events unfold.

A very sad memory, and my heart goes out to all those affected.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was at a Bible study at Fort Bragg, NC, we had just started with coffee and snacks and then the women in charge announced what happened and we all broke out in tears many of the ladies had friends and family working at the pentagon and the trade center we did continue with the bible study but when I left Fort Bragg was a different place there was barbed wire everywhere soilders with guns on top of their humvees it was so scary how quickly the post changed in just a few short hours,
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was a sophomore in high school. My history class was supposed to be meeting in the library, so me and a male classmate showed up and waited for the rest of our class to show up. They had the news on in the library, documenting the events that were taking place in NY, DC, and PA. The rest of my class never showed up and we sat there watching the news all period. My teacher wrote us up for skipping class and we both got detentions.
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was just a little kid 11 years ago, not yet fully comprehending what happened. We were driving to our house after dropping Daddy off at work, and listening to the radio when Mom heard the news. None of us seven kids knew what had happened, except that it was not only an attack to our nation, but to us as Americans. We got home and turned on the TV just in time to see the second tower fall, and when it replayed over and over, I thought more and more buildings were falling.

I did not understand the fullest measures of evil and love, of hatred and heroism, of the gravity of lives lost, and the incredibility of lives saved that day. I did not understand why or how anyone could do anything to this, the greatest nation on God's green earth. But every time we turned on the radio, for months after, and heard the song playing in our car, or livingroom, I would proudly sing that I AM proud to be an American, where I know I'm still free. And I'll never forget the men who died to give that right to me.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was 22 and living with my parents with my oldest son who was about to turn 2. My sister woke me up to tell me about an "accident". Her voice woke my son and we all went to the living room and sat on the floor in front of the tv. The second plane hit and it was like time stopped. Like everything stopped, like we just stopped breathing...just like probably everyone else across the country. We sat there for hours watching it all unfold. And we all knew it was war, and we knew everything had changed, but sitting there with my son on my lap, I had absolutely no clue how much things would change. I grew up feeling fairly safe and free, surrounded by optimism. My children are growing up in a time of struggle, neverending war, and a 24 hour news cycle that reminds us of all of the bad things, keeps us a little more untrusting, paranoid, and partisan than we need to be.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    6th grade English class. i remember us all celebrating that Monotone Miss Williams wasnt in the room. When it came over the intercom we all just kind of sat there like, "the what towers?" we were all 10-111 years old, we had no concept of terrorists or suicide bombers at that age, and our social studies class was up to the civil war at that point. we all thouht it was going to be an educationsl prank.

Edited to add;
    Its really unbelievable to think that my oldest niece was barely two, and all four nieces and my nephew will have no memories of this country at peace. we've ALWAYS been at war to them. :(
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When the first plane hit I was just getting ready to leave for work and I was watching it on the news. When the 2nd plane hit I was driving North on the Garden State Parkway in NJ watching the smoke from the towers as I headed into work. My friend Pat died at the Pentagon that day. He was one of the youngest full Cmdr's in the United States Navy. None of my relatives who worked at the WTC died am I grateful for that.
  • FitnessPal4L1f3
    FitnessPal4L1f3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was in the US Air Force stationed at Aviano Air Base Italy. It was a Tuesday "afternoon" (we are 6 to 7 hours ahead of Eastern Time) and I just got back from the afternoon cappuccino run and was bringing those beverages to co-workers sitting outside. Moments later a young female Airman ran outside yelling saying the Twin-Towers was hit by an Airplane - a jet crashed into the Tower. I thought what a horrible accident. I walked back inside to watch the news - not too long thereafter I saw the 2nd plane hit the tower and I thought is this a terrorist act or a horrible accident? When I heard the news the Pentagon was hit, I knew we are under attack!

Many of us cried that day (myself included) I had friends at the Pentagon, my Dad frequently travels and flies out of Boston and New York - I thought the worse, I felt the worse. Later that night when I got home, all of us in our apartment complex (Americans) gathered together for a prayer vigil; we cried, we prayed and we drew strength from each other. It wasn't until the next day did we know that our loved ones were OK.

11 years later, I still shed a tear and offer a prayer on September 11th.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Eleven years ago, I was getting ready for work in Colorado. I was horrified by the news and all that had happened to our great nation.

Eight years ago today, I married my best friend. We wanted to make a happy day out of something so many looked upon as horrible.

Remembering all those whose lives were lost 11 yr ago. God Bless America!!
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I was 22, at Temple University walking to my Broadcast Management class. As I walked to class people were clamering about a plane hitting the towers. My first thought was some moron in a small private plane messed up and ran into it. Once I got to class there was a TV in our classroom and the professor also happened to be the station manager for News Radio 1060 in Philadelphia. He calmly told us what had happened, explained that class would be cancelled for two weeks because his station would need to be 24/7 on this story and to have a nice day and go home with your loved ones because this was not an accident.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was at work. A client gave me the news over the phone.

I remember it as starting as a particularly clear and beautiful day. How ironic.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i was 29 years old, had arrived at work (in boston, ma) at 8:30 was checking email and talking with my cube neighbor. noticed coworkers heading into the conference room where we had a small tv. decided to check it out - walked over to the conference room right a minute before the second plane hit. i spotted it on the tv and then well it hit and i just stood there in disbelief and shock. did i really just see a plane hit the world trade center. no i didn't yes i did. what the hell is going on? i just stood there frozen unable to move.

i spent the next few hours watching everything unfold. throughout the course of the morning my coworkers and i tried reaching the owner/ceo of the company by phone (she was off running errands and doesn't listen to the radio in her car - she had no idea what was going on). she finally arrived at the office at 11:30 and that's when i told her (the majority of the office had left).

i was one of the few who stayed behind because i didn't want to get on the subway (or T as it's called). i stayed at work until noon when i finally managed enough courage to walk to the underground subway . as i stood on the underground platform waiting for the subway to arrive i remember thinking if boston is attacked i will never get out of here alive. it was so eerie silent, no one talking, everyone just sorta holding their breaths. as i got on the subway i prayed, i prayed the entire 30 minute ride until subway made it from underground and was on the surface. the sun was shining as i walked to my car and drove home.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was in my 7th grade art class. I still remember exactly what we were making and all of the people in my class. The teacher told us to stop what we were doing and come to the tv. She switched it on and at first we didn't know what had happened but slowly we realized what was going on. We were watching live when the second plane hit the towers. The rest of the day was spent in our homeroom classes watching news coverage trying to comprehend how something like this could happen. When I got home from school I remember just sitting with my family practically in silence that whole evening. It just didn't seem real
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I was working in a call center when the news came in. Our phones went silent, and although the internet was working, we had limited ability to access CNN or any other news network. Many people left, who had family working at the towers. Our company had us on the phones as support to our counterparts families who worked in the towers. We lost 13 co-workers that day.

A few days later, my daughter (who was 5 at the time) got terrified to see a helicopter flying overhead. I remember her asking me if they were going to crash into our house to kill us. It broke my heart.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I was in law school with Pres George Bush's nephew. The TV in the student lounge was on and I was running to class since I was running late- I took a glimpse at the TV and kept going -wondering what movie they were showing on the TV that had a plane crashing into a building...never dawned on me it was real until I came out of class and everyone was around the TV staring and crying...it became very real very quick. We had several bomb scares over the next few days there. Life has never been the same.
  • I was in theater class and my teacher's husband told her about it over the phone (he was in NY city) just as it came across the news. I was 14 and had no clue what the world trade center was. All my teachers told me that this day would be in history books from now on as one of the worst tragedies of our time. I didn't fully understand how horrific it was until a few years later.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was in high school. It was first period and I was in Art class. I remember watching it on TV.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was working in a local High School cafeteria. My title was production coordinator, which is basically an assistant manager. My boss was out as her Mom had breast cancer and was in the hospital so I was running the show. I had to deal with 20 some crying employees. There was no dropping what we were doing as we had nearly 3000 hungry kids coming to eat lunch in a few hours. So I had to put a lid on my feelings and tell everyone that while I understood that everyone was upset, we had a job to do and life goes on. I guess I was perceived as cold for that, but I did what had to be done.
  • red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    11 years ago today I was driving in my car across town heading to school. An interruption in my music channel occurred & the news HIT.