Confessions

Options

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Guess we all have to say something in this thread, but... how exactly is that helping to our cause?
    Not being sarcastic, just curious.

I'm not sure exactly but it seems to have interested many people. I am a catholic so I 'get' the confessional thing, it is like ummm... a spiritual purge? I think also it makes us realise we aren't alone, there are other people with such bad habits are working to over come them and even suceeded, I guess it shows it it can be done!

I think theres also something about acknowledging what our demons are. Knowing you're not the only one who has those feelings is also a comfort.

I totally agree. I think we feel so much shame about these behaviours. And then to hear you are not the only one that has struggled like this, and to see how we can change, it's in a way....motivating.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie - or fattie or both. I love to eat. I eat when I'm hungry, bored, sad, happy.... it's just so good! My confession is going to be a bit different from what I've read. I think I struggle more with excessive alcohol use than I do with excessive eating.

About 2 years ago, I'd drop the kids off at school, drive to Chik-fli-a, order a large chicken biscuit meal with hash browns and diet lemonade. I'd get home and promptly add vodka to that lemonade. Pig out and sip on my drink til noonish. This was during a very bad time for me. I was in much physical pain and battling a long term disease. The poor eating and alcohol made my condition worse.

Other times I wouldn't eat. I'd be hungry all day long but saving my calories for beer. In fact, I do this almost every Friday :( And I wont just drink 2 beers - I drink 6! 6 heavy, German, delicious beers. And I wonder why it takes me all week to get my weight back down to Thursday's number.
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    At one time in my life I could eat an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting. When i would eat soups, i could put an entire sleeve of ritz crackers in it.

Chocolate, Ice cream, pies, brownies, and cheesecake are my weaknesses.

Ive learned though if I eat right throughout the day, i can make room for a little indulgence. :heart:

I used to think that dieting and eating right meant you had to give up those things forever. Boy was I wrong!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Love this thread - if part of our problem was unconcious eating, self delusion and deceit then surely it is good to look at those behaviours, without judgement, and see them for what they were. What is it they say? Awareness is the first step to ...... summink or other, you get my drift

I've even more to add to my list.

I like bread and butter. A lot. Add that to being a keen home cook and you have the beginnings of crazy sandwich behaviour. I'd make a ragu sauce, eat a huge pile of pasta for dinner and then go into the kitchen to 'clean up' after dinner. Out would come the sliced white bread and butter and there I am, spaghetti sauce sandwiches. If I made a casserole before I washed the dish I would always wipe it out with bread and butter. After I'd eaten the casserole of course.

If I was feeling peckish and on the run I would grab a cheese and onion pasty and a meat and potato pie from the Spar - after all I haven't got much money and that stuff is cheap *raised eyebrow*, nuke them in the microwave and then slam them between 4 slices of buttered bread. Yes, pie sandwiches.

Pie sandwiches. For the love of Pete!
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I have drank 24 cans a Pepsi in a week :(
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    Options
    One of my favorite "When I was Fat" stories is how I would go into a restaurant and pretend I was ordering for someone else, too...I'd say things like, "I think he wanted extra cheese" when it was ALL for me, then take it to go. It's hilarious now. Sad then...

It's funny now that I am focused on dropping the weight I will order something when and say things like my wife will have X and I will have Y and I wonder if people really believe that. Especially that's exactly what I'm doing!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest (well, and a good while up to that point), I used to have a skinned spot on the back of my index and middle finger knuckle from shoving my hand into pringles containers and my hand being so fat that it barely fit. Near the height of my weight increase, my hand no longer fit and i would have to dump the pringles out - often directly into my mouth. I also drank a gallon of orange juice and a gallon of dr. pepper a day and would make what I called 'cheese cups' at night -- a coffee mug filled with cubes of different cheeses, melted in the microwave and eaten with a fork.... then, sometimes, i would drink a bit of the cheese grease that was left over.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    YESTERDAY! Went to the Chinese Buffet for lunch by myself and ate 3 plates of food all because I was pissed off about something at work. What kind of sense does that make!!! Back on the diet train again today!

Oh yeah paid in cash so my wife wouldn't see it on the bank card statement.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am both an emotional eater and a stress either - I'm a binge eater too. I'm currently read ing"Food: The Good Girl's Drug" which addresses a lot of behaviors mentioned here...

Here's honesty:

- In college, I would eat whole boxes of shells and cheese mixed with tuna, whole boxes of Stove Top, whole cans of Frosting, and whole packages of oreos, and whole 6 packs of beer - myself.
    - In high school, I would secretly eat bags of chips and pretzels in the house and hide the bags
    - I could eat 1/2 of pack of Little debbie snack cakes in HS.
    - whole bricks of cheese with crackers.
    - Before I started, I have eaten whole pans of brownies, double cheeseburgers with bacon, large fries, and a large soda, and a frosty
    - I have eaten whole containers of ice cream
    - I have eaten out of the trash.

Clearly, I've had issues.
  • acstansell
    Options
    Love this thread - if part of our problem was unconcious eating, self delusion and deceit then surely it is good to look at those behaviours, without judgement, and see them for what they were. What is it they say? Awareness is the first step to ...... summink or other, you get my drift

I've even more to add to my list.

I like bread and butter. A lot. Add that to being a keen home cook and you have the beginnings of crazy sandwich behaviour. I'd make a ragu sauce, eat a huge pile of pasta for dinner and then go into the kitchen to 'clean up' after dinner. Out would come the sliced white bread and butter and there I am, spaghetti sauce sandwiches. If I made a casserole before I washed the dish I would always wipe it out with bread and butter. After I'd eaten the casserole of course.

If I was feeling peckish and on the run I would grab a cheese and onion pasty and a meat and potato pie from the Spar - after all I haven't got much money and that stuff is cheap *raised eyebrow*, nuke them in the microwave and then slam them between 4 slices of buttered bread. Yes, pie sandwiches.

Pie sandwiches. For the love of Pete!

I too have a bread and butter fetish - I would eat bread and butter while making dinner. I'd eat 4 pieces, then still eat dinner!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I bought 4 chocolate bars - one for each of my family members. They never made it home. I ate all 4 of them. I'm addicted to sugar and if there are cookies in my house, I will eat them all until they're not there to tempt me anymore.
  • acstansell
    Options
    I also love the feeling of being completely stuffed, as opposed to just sated.

I struggle with this. I can no longer be hungry, but I still feel the need to eat cause I am not stuffed!

I STILL have moments of this - last week, the hubs wanted pizza - well, we ordered it and I GORGED, I don't even want to talk about it. But I ate so much I felt like I was going to explode in pain.

There's just something about pizza... I need to go back to reducing my order and stopping at 2.
  • kellison89
    kellison89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my weakness! I would have HUGE bowls of ice cream every night before. With caramel sauce, a LOT. My sweet tooth is killing me.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm so ashamed of how much I weigh that I still haven't told anyone. Not a soul.

I'm so terrified of failing that sOmetimes I know im not eating enough by I justify it to myself by it being better than eating tO much and I know I have plenty if far stores to sustain me

I accidentally posted mine on facebook...needless to say I have now changed my mfp settings to NOT automatically sync to facebook and twitter!!!!!
    OMG I would be sooooooooooooo embarraased!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awww, poor you!!! I don't minding sharing anything wiyh lovely people here but people on FB don't all going to understand plus i'll have see them in person after!

YES about Greggs too. I live in Newcastle, the home of Greggs. there are 12 or somthin in our town centre alone. I used to see them as just a snack (been know to have upto 3 pasties) but they bot the cals of a whole meal. I try to keep clear, just wish is not so damn many!!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    --For about 2 weeks this summer (right before I joined MFP), my dinner consisted of a whole bag of 'movie-theater butter' Pop Secret, plus 4-5 servings of cheese Doritos, plus 1 box of Milk-Duds. Sometimes I'd have it twice in one night.

--I have gone into a rage at people in my house (husband, stepsons) when I realize they finished off "my" Doritos or ice cream or apple turnovers or cinnamon rolls.

--A few years ago, I gained about 20-25 pounds over about a month or two. Every night during that time, I ate an entire package of bakery cinnamon rolls (I think there were 6 large ones in the package) from the grocery store. I called this "dessert."

--I have eaten an entire pastry ring from Panera Bread in two days (anyone know the ones I mean? There are sections of apple, cherry, and cheese....)

--I have eaten an entire large pizza by myself too many times to count.

--I have gone to Olive Garden for dinner, eaten my entire entree, plus 4-5 breadsticks dipped in alfredo sauce, plus dessert, cappucino, and several glasses of sweet tea.

--I have stood in my kitchen countless times eating cookies, chips, whatever, seen that I was getting low, KNEW I had had enough, but continue eating them, going faster and faster, just to make sure no one else would get them.

I think the ones above that embarrass me the most are where I have gotten enraged at people, or am selfishly eating it ALL so they don't get any. It makes me think of my DOGS, for crying out loud, who are best buddies except at mealtime. Don't even look at my dish! And God help the cat if she walks by, they have been known to nip at her just for being near the dish...

Oh, and I too have done the pretend game at the drive-thru, like I'm ordering for several people who just don't happen to be with me.
  • Ericaaa89
    Ericaaa89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh man, the amount of food I can eat!

Whole papa john's large pizza.
    FAMILY SIZE box of Kraft Mac and cheese
    3 packs of Ramen noodles at a time.
    Entire cheesecake.
    Entire chocolate cream pie.

Fast food was the worst. I was highly addicted. So addicted and so ashamed that I would hit McDonald's, eat the 2 cheeseburger meal with large fry AND and 10 piece chicken nuggets, then I'd go home and bc I was ashamed of eating the fast food, would also eat my mother's entire home cooked meal. Yes I would feel sick, but it was better then having my parents get onto my case about the fast food. Glad I'm not at that low point in my life anymore.
  • freenewme
    freenewme Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    at the age of 16 i found out one night hanging out with friends that i ate more in one sitting than linebacker on the football team did in one day.

i would eat 2 large pizzas and a bag of chips and a box of cookies all at once and than i would eat again like two hours later. no wonder i got to 400lbs. lol now i struggle with eating enough to stay alive bc i am so scared that i am going to get that fat again. (ok no so funny but after years of therapy i am at the point i think its kind of funny)
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to buy boxes of snacks or chocolate for teh family and eat all of them before anyone even knew they were there.

One year i ate so much of the kid's easter candy i had to buy more at the last minute so they had baskets that year. I was so ashamed.

I still struggle with bingeing.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I tried phentermine. I had 8 of the possible side effects not to mention ridiculous withdrawal symptoms. I took 5 pills over the course of 2 weeks. I was miserable, in pain, feeling sick and unhappy. My husband was considering moving out bc it affected me and my personality so much. I quit and felt better once it was out of my system. Still married (and living together) but Im back to trying to lose weight the old fashioned way. When I told my husband I was considering taking it on our cruise, he just replied "do you want me to stay in Mexico?". I'll never touch that stuff again.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have drank 24 cans a Pepsi in a week :(

I use to drink a 12 pack a day or cream soda. Now I only drink water and coffee, once in awhile I drink alcohol or an energy drink when needed.