Foods you had to cut out of diet to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• holly2234
    Options
    Nothing. I have everything in moderation now. I have stopped eating sausages. More because i had some poorly made ones which have put me off! It was a blessing in disguise.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I really need to cut out all sweet. Having 1 cookie a week would be ok but I eat 2-3 a day. :( Also I need to sloooowww down on the breads. Bagels, crackers and bread. I <3 them!
  • APfefferle
    Options
    Processed foods and ALL white sugars
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. So many people cutting out so much tasty stuff. Hope you didn't truly love any of it and hope you are cool going without it for the rest of your life.............
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out cookies. I can not eat a reasonable amount of them - I want 12 or more.
  • ALOvely_lady
    Options
    yeah...alcohol has a lot of empty calories!!!
  • tweldon85
    tweldon85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've learned I just can't have ice cream in the house. It is a trigger food for me so, I have just learned that I can and will live without it!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly: Quick and Dirty
    from Dr. Davis' post on October 13, 2011

Eliminate:
    All wheat-based products (all breads, all breakfast cereals, noodles, pasta, bagels, muffins, pancakes, waffles, donuts, pretzels, crackers), oat products (oatmeal, oat bran), cornstarch-based products (sauces or gravies thickened with cornstarch, prepared or processed foods containing cornstarch, cornmeal products like chips, tacos, tortillas), sugary soft drinks, candies

Enjoy unlimited:
    Vegetables-except potatoes; fresh or frozen, never canned
    Raw nuts and seeds-raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, cashews; dry-roasted peanuts (not roasted in oil); pumpkin and sunflower seeds
    Healthy oils (unheated)-olive, flaxseed, coconut, avocado, walnut
    Meats-red meats, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs. (Consider free-range, grass-fed and/or organic sources.)
    Non-wheat grains-ground flaxseed, chia seeds
    Teas, coffee, water, unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk or coconut water
    Cheeses—real cultured cheeses only (not Velveeta or single-slice processed cheese)
    Avocado or guacamole; hummus; unsweetened condiments, e.g., mayonnaise, mustard, oil-based salad dressings; ketchup without high-fructose corn syrup; pesto, tapenades; olives

Limited:
    Fruit-No more than 2 servings a day (one serving is a level handful), preferably in this order (best first): berries of all varieties, citrus, apples, nectarines, peaches, melons. Minimize bananas, pineapples, mangoes, and grapes
    Fruit juices-only real juices and in minimal quantities (no more than 2-4 oz)
    Dairy products-No more than 1 serving per day of milk, cottage cheese or yogurt, unsweetened (Fat content does not matter.)
    Legumes/beans; peas; sweet potatoes and yams; rice (white and brown); soy
    Dark chocolates-70-85% cocoa or greater; no more than 40 grams (approximately 2 inches square) per day
    Sugar-free foods-preferably stevia-containing, rather than aspartame

Never:
    Fried foods
    Fast foods
    Hydrogenated “trans” fats
    Cured meats-hot dogs, sausages, bacon, bologna, pepperoni
    High-fructose corn syrup containing foods; honey; agave syrup; sucrose
    Processed rice, rice flour or potato products-rice crackers, rice cereals, pretzels, white breads, breakfast cereals, potato chips
    Fat-free or low-fat salad dressings
    ”Gluten-free” foods

Quick tips:
    For healthy breakfast choices, consider ground flaxseed as a hot cereal (e.g., with soy milk, milk, or unsweetened almond milk; blueberries, strawberries, etc.). Also consider eggs; raw nuts; cheese; consider having “dinner for breakfast,” meaning transferring salads, cheese, chicken, and other “dinner” foods to breakfast.
    Add 1 tsp or more of taste-compatible healthy oil to every meal. For example, mix in 1 tbsp flaxseed oil to ground flaxseed hot cereal. Or add 2 tbsp olive oil to eggs after scrambling. Adding oils will blunt appetite.
    If you suspect you have a wheat “addiction,” use the first week to add healthy oils to every meal and reduce the amount of wheat by half. In the second week, aim for elimination of wheat while maintaining the oils.
    Reach for raw nuts first as a convenient snack.

Did this really just say that you can "enjoy unlimited" mayonnaise and "limited" fruit? I mean, really? I understand that a ton of fruit is not good, but really, UNLIMITED MAYONNAISE?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. So many people cutting out so much tasty stuff. Hope you didn't truly love any of it and hope you are cool going without it for the rest of your life.............

I agree. Makes me sad as well. I eat what I want. Food is to be enjoyed.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Eliminate:
    All wheat-based products (all breads, all breakfast cereals, noodles, pasta, bagels, muffins, pancakes, waffles, donuts, pretzels, crackers), oat products (oatmeal, oat bran), cornstarch-based products (sauces or gravies thickened with cornstarch, prepared or processed foods containing cornstarch, cornmeal products like chips, tacos, tortillas), sugary soft drinks, candies

Enjoy unlimited:
    Raw nuts and seeds-raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, cashews; dry-roasted peanuts (not roasted in oil); pumpkin and sunflower seeds
    Meats-red meats, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs. (Consider free-range, grass-fed and/or organic sources.)
    Cheeses—real cultured cheeses only (not Velveeta or single-slice processed cheese)
    Avocado or guacamole; hummus; unsweetened condiments, e.g., mayonnaise, mustard, oil-based salad dressings; ketchup without high-fructose corn syrup; pesto, tapenades; olives

Limited:
    Fruit-No more than 2 servings a day (one serving is a level handful), preferably in this order (best first): berries of all varieties, citrus, apples, nectarines, peaches, melons. Minimize bananas, pineapples, mangoes, and grapes
    Dairy products-No more than 1 serving per day of milk, cottage cheese or yogurt, unsweetened (Fat content does not matter.)
    Dark chocolates-70-85% cocoa or greater; no more than 40 grams (approximately 2 inches square) per day

Never:
    Fried foods
    Fast foods
    Processed rice, rice flour or potato products-rice crackers, rice cereals, pretzels, white breads, breakfast cereals, potato chips
    ”Gluten-free” foods

Quick tips:
    For healthy breakfast choices, consider ground flaxseed as a hot cereal (e.g., with soy milk, milk, or unsweetened almond milk; blueberries, strawberries, etc.). Also consider eggs; raw nuts; cheese; consider having “dinner for breakfast,” meaning transferring salads, cheese, chicken, and other “dinner” foods to breakfast.
    Add 1 tsp or more of taste-compatible healthy oil to every meal. For example, mix in 1 tbsp flaxseed oil to ground flaxseed hot cereal. Or add 2 tbsp olive oil to eggs after scrambling. Adding oils will blunt appetite.
    If you suspect you have a wheat “addiction,” use the first week to add healthy oils to every meal and reduce the amount of wheat by half. In the second week, aim for elimination of wheat while maintaining the oils.

Did this really just say that you can "enjoy unlimited" mayonnaise and "limited" fruit? I mean, really? I understand that a ton of fruit is not good, but really, UNLIMITED MAYONNAISE?

Fruit has THE CARBZ......THE CARBZ = THE DEBIL.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I cut out cheese. Well, not completely - I've had it twice at restaurants in the past two months - but I will no longer have it in the house. I just don't have good self-control with cheese. In this area, I say to each their own. I see no reason to keep a temptation in the house that I find hard to resist.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options

Eliminate:

Enjoy unlimited:

Limited:

Never:
    Fried foods
    Fast foods
    ”Gluten-free” foods

Quick tips:

Fruit has THE CARBZ......THE CARBZ = THE DEBIL.

:laugh:
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've cut way, way back on added sugars. Way back.

But I haven't eliminated anything. Just making much healthier choices.

Tracking everything helps me stay conscious of my choices, so it's easier to make good ones.
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just speaking for myself - I had to cut out soda, and any snack foods that would be eaten in lieu of something healthy. So no chips, no ice cream (if we do get ice cream it's Breyers Carb Smart, which is pretty good, actually), etc. Also, I have recently stopped buying boxed meal items - no more lean cuisines or smart ones. I would eat those instead of making my own food and guess what - you can eat A LOT more if you make your own food. You can have a TON of veggies and protein, versus a small portion of sauced pasta. Speaking of which, I don't eat pasta almost ever anymore, not strictly because I'm on a "low-carb" diet (I'm not), but because the calorie load isn't worth it - by the time you sauce your pasta and you're having a "serving size" it's not enough food. Not to mention it fails to make me feel full. Pizza is another thing that I just know I have problems with as far as portion control goes. I am not going to ever eat a huge salad and have one slice of pizza - I just know that. So instead of making that kind of compromise, I just avoid pizza all together.

Trying now to really eat a lot of fresh green veggies, a lot of frozen veggies and trying to keep my protein portions smaller - around 3 or 4 ounces. Honestly though, if you do everything in moderation there's not a lot that you can't have - it really comes down to individual goals and will power. If you cut out all refined sugar you can lose a lot of weight, but some people find they can't do that. I have trouble with that, and have had to make the process a slow and deliberate one. I would say the amount of refined sugar I eat every day has been drastically reduced from six months ago. I find now that I have Truvia instead of aspartame or sucralose (which both gave me headaches) as a sweetner, I avoid sugar much more often. Usually the only real sugar I have throughout my day is honey in my tea.

Do I eat whole/raw/organic foods every day each time I eat? No, definitely not. On the other hand, I have found now, that I can eat more and consume less calories by adding significantly more vegetables and fruits into my diet.

So I don't think there is anything definite about what you have to cut out of a diet - I think that for each individual there are weak spots, so if you can avoid exposing yourself to the foods you're weak to, that definitely helps.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Eliminate:

Enjoy unlimited:

Limited:

Never:
    Fried foods
    Fast foods
    ”Gluten-free” foods

Quick tips:

Really??? If weight loss was this complicated, I would never try it either!!

This is excatly why diets dont work. It has to be small changes that will last a lifetime. Sorry, but If I can never have bacon, I might as well die right now.
  • holly2234
    Options

The exact reason i refuse to cut anything out!

This isn't just a diet until i reach my goal weight, its a change so that i don't get back to that weight again. There's no way i'm living my life eating broccoli and seeds all day.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    None.
  • RoxRae
    Options
    I had to cut out ice cream, mac and cheese, chocolate mini doughnuts, and Cheez-Its. These are all foods I tend to WAY OVEREAT. So it's just better not to have them around.
  • emilym_3
    Options
    I still drink diet sodas occasionally, not everyday. But yeah, soda. Fast food (again still eat it occasionally, but only if it's a "healthier menu item"). I've tried cutting back on fried foods, I think I've done well there, and pasta. Oh, and sugar.