Foods you had to cut out of diet to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Soda... major cut there. Trying to even cut out diet soda now, even out and about due to the freaking cost... 2 dollars for a glass.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    For me, it was bread and pasta - empty calories that didn't satisfy or nourish me and didn't really taste good enough to want to keep with those goals in mind.

I still eat ice cream every day though. I refuse to give up my frozen treats. :)
  • KayTeeinVA
    Options
    I have cut out fast food, soda...severely cut back on bread and pasta...and my last holdout - my coffee creamer. I LOVE my flavored creamers ... but today is the last day for them. After today it's skim milk (YUCK).
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I have cut NOTHING. I just watch my calories and drink lots and lots of water :)
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    For me it was sodas as well but also Mac n Chees and spam. They are a weakness for me.
  • ipock
    ipock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I start eating chips/fries and drinking alcohol semi-regularly, my body holds onto it like it's a $100 bill. Just have to limit and enjoy sporadically.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    While I had to make the mentioned cuts, it's not a forever thing, and never eat food I don't like just cause its healthy, my eating lifestyle is built soley of things I do like.
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything, but I have cut way back on some things, chips and fries for instance. I have also worked on adding more good things, greek yogurt and lots more fruits and veggies for example. I think to tell yourself you can't have stuff you love is setting yourself up for failure. It's all about moderation...which I will admit I'm still working on! :)
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've not had any fizzy drinks or crisps in ages, so I'm very used to not having them

Chocolates, ice cream and sweets are my weaknesses however, but I have the "fun" size (I use the term fun veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery loosely) chocolates and whenever I feel like having a tub of Ben and Jerry's, I'm having a tub of Ben and Jerry's!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. So many people cutting out so much tasty stuff. Hope you didn't truly love any of it and hope you are cool going without it for the rest of your life.............

Oh, thank you for thinking of us. You don't need to be sad. Really. We just found out what works for us (because everyone is different, you know) and are forging ahead with what we know works for us and leaving behind what doesn't. You should be happy for us. We are strong :0)
  • Wilhelmina07
    Options
    Fast food, and Soda/sugary drinks. Actually I study Epidemiology in grad school and one of the first things we learned in class was "Soda and other sugary drinks are the only food or beverage that has been directly linked to obesity, a major contributor to coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers, and a cause of psychosocial problems." http://cspinet.org/new/201207191.html
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out anything. I just have smaller portions of it and don't have it as much. What helps also is planning to have something ahead of time so that I can plan for my calories. For instance, on payday I know 10-1 I'm going to order pizza for me and my 19 yo bottomless pit son...hahaha. So because I know that I'm going to eat that, I have a lighter lunch that day and I MAKE sure that I do at least an hour of cardio. I do drink soda but I drink a can not a bottle. When I had my health and fitness coach for 2 months, she said that was healthier for me because I know that I'm not depriving myself which will make me eat more.

Now if I had health issues, like diabetes, then yes, I would have more restrictions. The best thing about living a healthier life style for a few months, I'm now saying no to certain foods. The other day someone offered me a donut and I said no and I didn't go back on my word during lunch time when they were still out. I can't easily talk myself out of exercising because I got myself into a routine of working out now.

If I truly crave something, I wait for at least an half hour and if I still want it then I go get it. If I wait longer to have it and still want it, I know I'm going to eat more of it which isn't a good thing. All in all, for me anyway, is portion control and drinking more water to keep me fuller.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, so what works for one person may not work for another. For instance, some people have to have a bite of something they love (like a dessert) or they will feel deprived. That small bite will satisfy them. If that works for you, more power to you! Not me! A bite only leads to another, and another, and....well, you get the picture! I have no will power, so I'm better off doing without certain "trigger" foods. That being said, I've substitued for the things I miss the most. I snack on Special K chips (55 calories for 15 chips) for my salty cravings at lunch, and find the 100 Calorie Klondike Bars are very good when I feel the need for something sweet after dinner. Of course, I always make sure I'm within my calories, and I'm eating a balanced diet. Moderation....moderation....moderation is the key. I've had to work on portion control. Of course, I've also stepped up my exercise. Less calores and more exercise = weight loss! I can't say it's been easy (or fast), but it definitely is worth it!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I cut things in stages. This was not all planned but worked out well and was all pre-MFP. I went to the next 'stage' when I had hit a weight loss plateau and realized additional exercise would not seem to budge it:

Stage 1: sugar, alcohol, artificial sweetenersl [lost 7 pounds the first week, hunger started to get more managable]

Stage 2: processed foods and starches (potato, rice, pasta, breads, crackers, etc.) [losing 2-3 pounds a week- no more salt bombs from processed packaged foods]

Stage 3: Dairy and gluten [started to fit into clothes sizes that I could wear when I was first married 26 years ago, skin began to 'glow']

Stage 4: Limit to lean protein sources only (lean beef, white meat chicken, turkey, lean fish- in controlled amounts) , 1 serving fruit AM (emphasizing lower glycemic fruits), limit oils and nuts [This is when my abs started showing]

Was I sad? Did I feel deprived? Sometimes but mostly not because of the results I was getting. The desire for results outweighed any desire for the foods I cut and still do. You have to decide and choose what you want and how long you want to spend getting there.

Edit; Now that I met my goals I will occasionally have some of the things I cut above! But, if I have them I pay for them with exercise. If I want a beer, for example, then I run an extra mile to earn that beer.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Early on when in my weight loss journey I:

- Eliminated Doritos and bottled sweetened ice tea for many weeks
    - Limited my favorite Starbucks Chai to only after I had an intense workout and burned lots of calories.

This was an easy way to eliminate over 600 calories from my daily diet. I also cut back on desserts, but didn't give them up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. So many people cutting out so much tasty stuff. Hope you didn't truly love any of it and hope you are cool going without it for the rest of your life.............

I don't think you're actually sad for others. I think you thought about the idea of cutting out certain foods and it made *you* sad for how you thought it would make *you* feel. And the good news is, people can always add back whatever foods they want later on in their journey.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Wait, I have to cut out specific foods to loose weight?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Oh, thank you for thinking of us. You don't need to be sad. Really. We just found out what works for us (because everyone is different, you know) and are forging ahead with what we know works for us and leaving behind what doesn't. You should be happy for us. We are strong :0)

Can you do this forever? Are you all of never having refined sugars, alcohol etc ever again? If you are, then great. I am happy you found what worked for you. Physiologically we are more the same than we are different. Unless you have a pre-existing metabolic condition there is no need to cut out anything to lose weight......Unless you simply lack the willpower to moderate the portions......If that is what you mean by different then I agree we are all different.
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yep, soda (restricted) and fast food (I allow a slice of pizza occasionally) was fairly easy to do. Alcohol (restricted and creative, I alternate glasses of water between mimosa's to stay hydrated and drink less) a little harder because we do a lot of socializing with neighbors. And side note, for soda I found healthier alternatives, such as brisk diet tea and liptons, I also replaced hamburger for turkey burger and so on and so on.... Not a big fan of sweets but when I do I only eat enough to satisfy sweet tooth, a candy bar can last days.
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Absolutely we can always reicorporate in moderation, I think we sometimes forget that option.