Foods you had to cut out of diet to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• 2kwaldo
    2kwaldo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I need to cut out alcohol. At the end of each day that I have been over on calories, if I eliminated wine (really all i drink) I would be at or under my desired calories for the day. I have cut back, but not enough and the needle on the scale is still not moving.

I do love my red wine......
  • loverleigh
    Options
    I don't know if I've cut out anything completely. I have added alternatives to my fave things, like I have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich instead of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Or I have a protein shake instead of a milkshake. Or I have half a Cliff Mojo bar instead of a candy bar. As you can tell, sweets are my downfall!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I mean, not exactly. You don't have to cut out any certain food group in order to "lose weight" as long as you stay under your calories. But healthier foods will contribute to a better-working body, which in turn could positively affect the functioning of your metabolism, glands, etc.
    I still allow myself any food I want, because sometimes I just really want a Coke Zero or some chips or cookies. But I try to choose veggies and lean proteins and things instead most of the time, and I drink tons of water. And sometimes I make my own healthy versions of chips or cookies or whatever at home. That's what's so cool about food-- if you play with the ingredients enough, you can have you cake and eat it, too, so to speak.

But I WOULD consider cutting out any foods that make you feel sick. A lot of people don't realize they're lactose-intolerant, for example, but 80% of the adult population in the WORLD is. I am. Foods like dairy that some people have trouble digesting can inhibit absorption of other vitamins and minerals. Trouble foods can also make you quite bloated and FEEL like you've gained weight, even if you haven't.

So, basically, it's all about knowing your body, staying away from foods that might cause you to "binge," but allowing yourself some indulgences. Good luck!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Not a damn thing

I refuse to diet. I refuse to eat a salad when everyone else is eating gravy & biscuits.

I refuse to sip water during football...

Moderation & portion control & you dont HAVE to give up a thing! If you deprive yourself, you are only setting yourself up for failure. Learn how to eat PROPERLY or live miserable in a bowl of greens for the rest of your life!

just my opinion, and its working for me. =)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut anything out I just cut back on everything.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Alcohol

Not cut out, but severly restrict. Everything in moderation :)

This
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Mike's harder lemonades.
  • jimbhc1
    jimbhc1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Foods with preservatives and sugar.
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You have to cut everything out. Seriously. Just stop eating. You will lose weight way faster
  • domnut
    domnut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything in particular but I have tried restraining myself when it comes to alcohol, sugar, processed food and fat. I've found that counting calories is the best way and you can pretty much eat anything (in moderation) as long as your meeting your calorie goals.
    Also - up the water intake! :)
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sodas and pasta. Both were killing me.
  • lucindasun
    Options
    I'm hearing that Vodka is low in carbs,,,I've been drinking vodka with low sodium club soda and lime juice and lots of ice,,,sadly I freaking love it,,,keep the vodka in the freezer too, a lil sprig of mint in it too. mmmmm gonna make one now
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to buy a bag of crisps 3 or even 4 times a week, and sometimes a few sweets as well to go with it. I only buy one bag on saturdays now, and I'm happy with that. So I haven't cut it out completely, I just cut down on the amount :) And it feels better when eating it on saturdays now, knowing it's a special weekend treat :)
  • cheekycharley
    Options
    Last year I lost 37 pounds and I attribute a lot of it to exercising (I did the Insanity program) but a huge part of it was my diet. I didn't really cut anything out but I did limit certain things. I have Metabloc Syndrom (aka Insulin Resistance) so my diet varies signifacantyl from others. I did however learn that if I am eating carbs I need to eat double the amount of protein to balance it out. For example if you eat 14g of carbs I make sure to eat 28g of protein. It is sometimes super hard to do but it helped me a lot with my weight loss. Even after I finished Insanity I was not gaining weight back, it wasn't until I started eating Carbs like crazy that I put 15 pounds back on (why I am on here, I need to track my carb vs protein instake and get back in the habit).

Typically foods to avoid
    Sugar items (try to avoid items that have sugar listed within the top three ingredient items)
    White breads, pasta, and rice (if you are going to eat these eat brown and whole grain)
    Soda's, juices, alcohol (dont drink your calories)
    Eat only Lean Red Meat occasionally (stick to fish and chicken. If you dont like fish use Tilapia, its a fish but very very mild and takes on other flavors extremely well so you dont have the fishy flavor. I LOVE TILAPIA)

Sorry for the novel! Best of luck to you!!!!!
  • sassydebbie67
    Options
    Mac & Cheese................ Wtich i had some tonight wrong ideal..Lol hadn't had it in over a year so i thought i would try it again and what happen ? I over ate on it ...........So No more Mac & Cheese for me......
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out of my diet entirely. I've actually increased the variety of foods that I eat since I started losing weight and eating healthier. I just enjoy things in moderation and some things less frequently than I did before.

Same as this. I couldn't drink fizzy things before this anyway, but I did cut out white bread and most other carbs that are white eg rice. Also dairy.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I cut out pointless sugars. I was never a huge pop drinker, so that was easy to eliminate. I don't drink juices. I don't want to use up my calories in beverages, I'd rather eat! I have tried to stay away from processed foods, but having 3 kids in the house makes it hard. It can be all about convenience. We don't have them all the time, which is a big help. I drink low calorie alcohol drinks. The 67 calorie beers, or I'll have a white wine. I also don't eat alot of chips, pretzels, etc. I'm more of a sweets person, but my husband like salty. I buy the salty snacks and then I don't end up eating them.

Good luck in your goals!
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Grains, dairy, soda, processed foods, beans and processed sugars.
  • sandij80
    Options
    Yes and no. I've only lost 10 pounds so far and very slowly, but...I've found that in order to hit the goal of eating 1400 cals/day which my trainer suggested (strongly), I can't eat any sugar, especially in the first half of the day, or I feel like crap and if I feel like crap I eat. Notably, honey doesn't have as strong of a bad effect.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda cause it was wrecking my teeth, but I've cut nothing out to lose weight. Just cut back on qty and frequency. I pay attention to stuff obnoxiously high in sodium, and just make sure i drink alot of water. But to lose weight I have cut nothing out. Drives my mom nuts, lol :)