Are you really a size .0008.7? Are you?

Options

Replies

• ClaudiaF77
    Options
    Given that one shopping trip (in the same store) in one style of trousers I was a 12 and in another I couldn't fit into their size 16, I'd love to know how they decide which size is which. Also, I want to meet the model they use for size 16 because she's obviously got bigger boobs than me and it means nothing ever fits right.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This is why I never share my weight ever..and am prety reluctant to share clothing size..
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

It might be me being sensitive but...I really disliked the idea of someone calling a 12/14 'really fat;, As someone who fluctuates between a 22/24 and is just starting the journey (again), that stings coming from a place that's supposed to be supportive.

Sorry but when I was 10/12, I was fat. Like stomach sticking out, rolls of fat, fat. I cannot even begin to imagine what I would look like at a 22/24.

It's not that I'm not being supportive and I'm sorry you disliked what I had to say, but thats how I felt at that size so thats how I described it.

The difference between a 4 and a 14 is huge.... my pants that I haven't given away that are that size don't fit at all and fall promptly off my *kitten*.. so how the OP can wear clothes like that, still baffle me.

Same here. Size UK 10-12 is really fat for me- rolls of fat, huge gut and behind. Size UK 6-8 is slender for me- smooth lines and no belly rolls. What makes it even harder for me is that i buy vintage clothes where sizes were different, and my Mother grew up in the 50's making clothes so when she talks about size she uses 50's sizes - thus a 24 waist, 36 hip she refers to as a size 12 - where as by modern standards it is a UK size 8. In addition US sizes are not direct equivalents to UK sizes- they are usually half a size larger e.g. US size 6 = UK size 10.5. It just gets so confusing- Dont get me started on vanity sizing- the size 8's in M&S are more like 12's!

Oh, and the shoe thing- UK manufacturers have started to use European and US sizes - which are generally 1/2 size larger than UK equivalent sizes. I am a UK size 2.5 and I'd usually be able to get away with a size UK3- now I have to stuff my shoes with oversized insoles and only buy lace-up & buckle up styles!
  • AliJelliBelli
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

It might be me being sensitive but...I really disliked the idea of someone calling a 12/14 'really fat;, As someone who fluctuates between a 22/24 and is just starting the journey (again), that stings coming from a place that's supposed to be supportive.

Sorry but when I was 10/12, I was fat. Like stomach sticking out, rolls of fat, fat. I cannot even begin to imagine what I would look like at a 22/24.

It's not that I'm not being supportive and I'm sorry you disliked what I had to say, but thats how I felt at that size so thats how I described it.

The difference between a 4 and a 14 is huge.... my pants that I haven't given away that are that size don't fit at all and fall promptly off my *kitten*.. so how the OP can wear clothes like that, still baffle me.
    Wow you're quite harsh. I don't think you meant to be originally but this last response is, I would say, inexcusable...
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Dress made by Merona - size 4 ***

Jeans made by Merona - size 12 ***

These things both fit me perfectly and they are by the same maker. I'm sorry that this bothers you so much that you are still posting about it and apparently did not get the chuckles from my OP that everyone else got. I wish I could explain it why a 4 and a 12 in two different garments by the same designer both fit me perfectly but there in lies the point of my original post. That women's clothing sizes are dumb/kind of pointless. It is truly a mystery. Time Life should probably devote a paranormal book series to the wonders of women's sizing.

And just so you know, 10/12 is not fat, by the way, but kudos on trying to insult probably more than half of the women on this site. I suppose 10/12 could be fat if you were like 4 foot 7 or if you never worked out and had some insane body fat percentage but most people who can wear a size 10/12 in something are pretty thin looking. Of course these same women probably fit into a 6 in something else and a 14 in something else.

(***for those not aware, Merona is a brand that is sold at Target stores. They make all manner of women's clothing).
  • katejain
    Options
    I buy my jeans always from AE because they make them for short people and their short actually means short unlike some places, but size always remained same, until now I'm losing so it's going down. I never had drastic size changes sticking to only buying from them. I really hate that jeans are mostly targeted to fit tall gals!! We are not all that lucky :-(
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    This thread stinks of jealousy.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

aaaaah haha haha

I think you should direct your anger into something productive!

I think if OP can rant.. so can I. :)

Shopping is not difficult... and I have had no where near the issues she describes.. ever!

Then you are one lucky girl! I have those issues all of the time! Maybe it's the way we are built that's the difference? i'm short, but I have broad shoulders and wide hips. Designers don't really cater to my body type. I thought the OP was quite humorous about a subject that quite frankly alot of women deal with.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, well you sound happy so good for you!! I am between a size 0-1 so not a huge size that you mention, but I pretty much stick with some of the name brands I like so maybe that is why. Good for you for your successes!!
  • AliJelliBelli
    Options
    I thought the OP was quite humorous about a subject that quite frankly alot of women deal with.

Sorry to paraphrase you but I agree! And I thought the OP was a good reminder to us all that size is just a number and we shouldn't get so hung up on it.

I've been 2 stone (28 lbs) lighter than I am now but still needed a size 14 (UK) in some clothes even though I was quite underweight for my height and build. When I started on here I was nearly 2 stone heavier than I am now and still wore a size 14. Go figure. (but without saying how hugely fat I am if you can manage it!! :wink: )
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Although I really couldn't care less what size anyone else is, I WOULD like to know what size I am!

One of the things that stumped me after I got down to my goal weight was that I had no idea what size it correlated to. When I was at this weight 15 years ago, I wore a size 6 or 8. I NEVER had any desire to be below a size 6, so imagine my surprise when I went shopping and couldn't buy a size 4 because they were too BIG!!

So here I am, with a closet full of 4s (one or two which are too big!), 6s, and 8s, with one or two size 10s! So, when asked, I go with the number that I feel best about... somewhere around size 6.

I imagine others might choose a different size because that's the one they like best. Either way, it doesn't affect me, so if you want to talk about the size 2 in your closet, then have at it! Just be aware that people aren't blind. Your tag may say size 2, but that doesn't really change the size of YOU!

Edited to fix grammatical error!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sizes definitely range, but when I am small enough to fit into 0's and 2's, nothing in a women's 12 fits me. There is some variation of course by brand, but it's not as dramatic for me as you describe it for you.
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This thread is great! I just want a holiday in the USA NOW so I can buy clothes with a smaller size label on them ( I think you are minus 4 or even 6 from us - so a UK 14 is a US 8??)
    To me anything below size 6 sounds like you are 10 years old and not healthy!!!! (don't start ranting, I know this is not the case, and I don't mean to offend)
    Your feet are bigger, though!
    yours, aiming to be a size 10-12 UK :happy:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How many people do you have around you gloating about their size that you have actually developed a pet peeve? Do you live in a very shallow part of the world? There's a very big difference between someone being happy/excited/proud and gloating/bragging. Someone saying their size in a pleased way does not equal bragging and gloating. Someone sharing her new size with a friend or even with friendly acquaintances is not bragging or gloating--no different than saying "I lost 5 lbs!" We could just as easily say, "Well, Miss I lost 5 lbs, did you really? Do you know how much of that is water weight that will come back once you eat a real meal? How do we know just how much sodium you had yesterday?"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm a size fatty-fat girl! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hope to become a size "slender waist with wide hips" :happy: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I get frustrated when I see people the same height and weight as me that are wearing a size 18. REALLY??? I was wearing an 18 when I was 150 pounds, which is my goal weight (80 pounds lighter than I am now). So I just have to move past it. It's just a number.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My wardrobe has sizes from 8 to 14, strangely all the same 'size'!! Its infuriating to go into one store and be X then another you are Y!! I have to admit I am a vanity shopper... if the written size is larger than I usually wear I wont buy it no matter how lovely it is >.<
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i think what most people do is find the smallest sized thing in their wardrobe that fits and goes yes i am this size! :D
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of pants that are 18's that fit me in the waist, fall off my butt and thighs. 14's fit me perfectly in the butt and legs, aside from being super tight, I love that I'm in this size now. My 16's and all other 18's were falling off me. It really depends on the wash of the jean and brand and all that crap. I also have medium sweatpants that I wear around the house that fit nicely, and size 12 shorts that I wore in the summer as a bathing suit.

It is honestly stupid that clothes are this messed up. Should be that one size is like universal or something.

And anyway, what does it matter to YOU what other people use for motivation to lose the weight? And how do you know if they are or are not that size?

I am 5 ft 2, 210 lbs, and a size 14.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yup, I wore a US size 6 dress yesterday (which seems to be pretty consistent amongst most brands), and today I am wearing a suit. The skirt is a size 12 (albeit loose, but not that loose, or I wouldn't be wearing it), and the jacket is a size 8.

I wore jeans the other day from Old Navy that were a size 4, and last Friday I had Calvin Klein suit on that was a size 8 (skirt and jacket).

I was/am comfortable in all of these pieces of clothing.

It depends on my body from day to day, plus different brands size differently.
  • lmschmitt63
    lmschmitt63 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hear you I just bought size 11 jeans and the proceeded to have to put on a 16 dress in order to get it zipped up.