Are you really a size .0008.7? Are you?

Options

Replies

• lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    thank you. I think I needed this. There is part of my mind that wants to be a 8. A single digit. But lets be honest. You generally need to buy dress pants a size or 2 bigger, wedding gowns are always a size or 2 bigger. Dresses from Target are sized differently than dresses from Brooks Brothers. And Levi's jeans are sized differently from Old Navy jeans. So I have on size 12 dress pants, my dresses that are a 10 are getting big, and my jeans that are a 10 are getting big too. But then I went into Marshalls the other day, and tried on a 14 that was too small.

Maybe I just need to find 1 piece of clothing I fit into that is a size 8, and call it a day. haha!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I am 5'3 147ish pounds, I wear an 8 in any store owned by Gap, Inc -- most other stores, Express, Limited -- I am a 10. Designers like Hilfiger and Klein -- usually a 10, occasionally a 12. I can wear S, M, L tops. People are usually shocked when I say I am a 10, as they expect the number to be lower. Thing is, if you don't care about what the tag says and buy clothes that fit you, you look MUCH smaller.
  • nc_moon_beam
    nc_moon_beam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm usually size AWESOME, but sometimes I can fit into a size HOTTT. Other times, I'm a size EPIC. Just depends...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm probably one of the smaller people on this site (5'2", 101, 20% fat today) and I've never bragged. Why? Because sizes are not very meaningful. The only problem is when people use them to delude themselves about what their weight is doing.
  • Marvelous47
    Marvelous47 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here's what I think, take a beautiful dress out of your closet that you love and wore once upon a time, if it doesn't fit hang it near your mirror...look at every day,,,,,your goal is to fit into it, who gives a ---- what size it is when you can fit into it.................brag, scream and give yourself a huge hug....this is about YOU!!!!!
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    shenanigans shenanigans
    Im a size 0/2 in every store.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    shenanigans shenanigans
    Im a size 0/2 in every store.

Same here.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My very elderly mother buys my wife clothes using sizing standards from 60 years ago.
    So even though my wife can wear modern 0's, or 2's, my mother buys her 8's and 10's and it drives my wife crazy.
    We explained that sizing changed, but she just won't listen.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

I have had a similar experience as the OP - jeans from the same manufacturer, purchased at the same store, IN THE SAME TRANSACTION, in 3 different sizes...that fit the same. And my closet includes M, L, and XL...that fit the same. The most consistency I've found is in shoes -- where I buy the same brand, same basic shoe, in different colors/materials.

It's even more annoying with kids, who have a lot less patience for trying things on.
  • B_Mindful
    B_Mindful Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm usually size AWESOME, but sometimes I can fit into a size HOTTT. Other times, I'm a size EPIC. Just depends...

You, madam, are fabulous. I don't care what size your clothes are! :happy:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a size fatty-fat girl! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hope to become a size "slender waist with wide hips" :happy: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I get frustrated when I see people the same height and weight as me that are wearing a size 18. REALLY??? I was wearing an 18 when I was 150 pounds, which is my goal weight (80 pounds lighter than I am now). So I just have to move past it. It's just a number.

I am jealous of your hips! At 150 now I am a 4-6 (usually, because OP preaches the truth) but my tummy is still wider than my hips.
    I should probably go read one of those "You can Spot Reduce" threads to find a unicorn blood retailer :grumble:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    (this, by the way men, is why we are all neurotic about our weight… don’t blame us, don’t even blame supermodels in the media. No, blame our ridiculous clothing sizes and our apparently mathematically challenged designers.)

I hear girls from time to time really gloating that they are a size “whatever” and you know, unless they are having all of their clothing tailor made all of the time and slapping a size 0 sticker on them, I’m calling shenanigans. You probably do have a bunch of clothes that are a size “whatever” but you also probably fit perfectly into a bunch of clothes that are a size “oh my god, I need to stop eating cookies”. You just maybe don’t purchase those ones.

Very funny and I totally agree about sizes not really meaning much. That being said, as soon as I can fit into a single digit size, I will be posting it on Facebook (not on my status that goes to everyone, but on a group page that my friend and I started for exercise and lifestyle support sort of like these message boards). I am sure my single digit excitement won't last long when the next item I have to get that fits on the exact same body will be a 10 or 12. :smile:
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have been debating posting this in this thread but since there are people who don’t seem to believe me that I range from a 4 to a 14 (as well as a select group of individuals who don’t grasp the concept of humorous vents about common annoyances), I decided to do so.

This is me (being a major dork, but disregard that part lol). This is a shot from a shoot I did in April with a local photographer. It was a fun shoot, both myself and the photographer were looking to add some different shots to our ports so he contacted me and asked me if I’d be willing to do a TFP shoot with some fun costumes. So I did.

The reason I’m posting this is because this dress that I am wearing in this photo is a size EXTRA LARGE. Not an Extra Large in a childs, but an Extra Large in an adult womens. Extra Large is often comparable to a size 10 to 14 in regular women’s sizes. (or it’s supposed to be but as most people in this thread have agreed, sizes are nonsensical mysteries to most of us).

Quite frankly I don’t think I look “fat” in this photo. And other than the aged effect to the coloration to make it look vintage and the photographers watermark, this picture was not touched up at all.

598683_429153097120410_1213165725_n.jpg
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options

I love you. haha
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options
    How many people do you have around you gloating about their size that you have actually developed a pet peeve?

Actually yes, mostly people online on modeling forums. You will have people being really snotty about it, gloating that they are a size 1 and therefore they deserve all the jobs and no one who is a size 6 should even dare step in their way. Occasionally, you will get delusional photographers (men usually who have never purchased clothing for a woman) who will list requirements like size 4 or under.

I have no desire to work with these people anyway because ultra thin runway/fashion is not my style, and other than needing to drop about 15 lbs to be at my goal weight, I’m pretty content with my looks. As content as any woman will ever be with her looks, I suppose.

HOWEVER…. A lot of young girls read these boards (MFP and the modeling forums I go to) and are literally starving themselves to get into a size whatever and that makes me sad because sizes have no meaning most of the time.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Truth spoken. (:laugh: Preach it, sister! :laugh: ) Thank you for this post.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

Just bought a skirt from Ann Taylor Loft this weekend -- size 4. Tried the 8, then the 6, both were big. But sitting here wearing size 10 pants from NYCompany.

Too weird -- everything has to be tried on, stuff isn't standard sadly
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    How many people do you have around you gloating about their size that you have actually developed a pet peeve?

Actually yes, mostly people online on modeling forums. You will have people being really snotty about it, gloating that they are a size 1 and therefore they deserve all the jobs and no one who is a size 6 should even dare step in their way. Occasionally, you will get delusional photographers (men usually who have never purchased clothing for a woman) who will list requirements like size 4 or under.

I have no desire to work with these people anyway because ultra thin runway/fashion is not my style, and other than needing to drop about 15 lbs to be at my goal weight, I’m pretty content with my looks. As content as any woman will ever be with her looks, I suppose.

HOWEVER…. A lot of young girls read these boards (MFP and the modeling forums I go to) and are literally starving themselves to get into a size whatever and that makes me sad because sizes have no meaning most of the time.

Everything you just said is why I haven't been on MM in over a year. I was a 6-8 when I was modelling and was more than satisfied finding work. I agree that there are far too many girls there, often young ones, who think no one larger than a size 4 deserves to model. And it's not just online. I once went to a show after giving my measurements (37/27/39 at the time) a month early as requested. When I showed up the designer informed me that samples hadn't been made in my size but I could try the size 4 dress on if I wanted.

My waist-hip ratio was right, but the size was what mattered. I am happier now trying to look good rather than have a number to brag over. Though I will admit to purchasing the size 4 jeans for $10 more than the size 8 jeans that fit the same. We're all a little bit vain :wink:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I only disclose my size when I'm asked for it. And I agree... which one? Which store? I'm a different size at Banana Republic than I am at BCBG or any designer shop... and Old Navy... who the hell knows? And my pants size differs from my dress size, again depending on who makes the clothes.

I'm GENERALLY in a certain range but it fluctuates. And JEANS... well, don't get me started. ;)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Actually yes, mostly people online on modeling forums.

If you did a Venn diagram, wouldn't the intersection of people on modeling fora and on MFP be rather small?