Tried ground turkey the results was not good

Options

Replies

• rotchy
    Options
    Ground turkey is good for meatballs, I find. Gives me horrible gas, though.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for iover 15 years. the trick is to season it the way you would beef. You also have to get the lean version and add a little olive oil or non stick cooking spray to the pan or it will make your house stink and leave a strange flavor on the patty if you are using any type of teflon pan. I also have found that I don't typically like the store' brand ground turkey. The Jennie-O turkey store products are much better. once you buy Jennie-O you will see the difference. High fat, low quality ground turkey will be super mushy, soft and almost watery. Very difficult to work with and it does have a strong after taste, which is probably what you bought and why you felt sick afterwards. Stick with Jennie-O. Its more expensive, but it taste better and you will love the results. you won't miss beef at all. Except beef hotdogs...turkey dogs stink!
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Personally, we love ground turkey for many different things. While the calories might not be much lower, the fat content and a few other things might be. Admittedly, we do buy the 90% lean stuff though also or 85/15 at the worst.

To make burgers, we usually add in an egg, oatmeal/crackers to help it stick, and sometimes chopped onion/peppers and whatever seasonings before making the patties. They stick together on the grill better.

Ground turkey by itself isn't all that great. I do prefer turkey bratwurst to regular bratwurst though. I've done the ol' switcheroo on unsuspecting dinner guests a few times and they raved about them as well.

That being said.. the price of beef is about to go down for a bit before it goes way up over the winter (speculation based on grain reports)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I tried to get into ground chicken/turkey but it never worked out. I found out when I cook I know the taste of things. I'll just stick to my 85/15 and be creative with supporting ingredients to keep calories down. If anything ground Bison works out really good just the cost is pretty high.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think ground turkey may be an acquired taste. You have to go into it knowing that it is not going to taste like ground beef. I use it in pretty much every recipe I have that calls for ground beef - I am not a red meat fan - the taste bothers me so I only eat red meat occassionally. I have been eating ground turkey for quite a few years now - the taste of a beef hamburger doesnt do it for me anymore. But I also season, season, season. My favorite are ranch cheddar turkey burgers, turkey meatloaf, and spaghetti with meat sauce (subbing ground turkey for the ground beef). You do have to be careful that ground turkey does become dry quicker than beef. I have never had a problem with getting sick from ground turkey, nor has it ever made my house stink. That is so random!!
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    I eat a lot of ground turkey but I do have to say, it has a "different" taste to it.. I make tacos with it and they are sooooo good :)
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If the ground turky made you sick and had a bad odor I wonder if you got a bad batch? With that said, we eat ground turkey in many different dishes not because of the health benefits (really there aren't that many as other posters have mentioned) but because we like the flavor better. With that said, as others have already mentioned it needs to be seasoned. We use it in taco dishes, I make a mexican meatloaf with it that uses crushed ground tortillas (dorritos or whatever on hand), salsa or picante, eggs, pepper and some shredded cheese or turkey burgers with italian bread crumbs (Vigo), garlic, onion powder, shredded provolone/mozzarella mix, salt and pepper - we all like that. But what you have to remember is ground turkey doesn't taste anything like ground beef. When we want hamburgers (i.e. cowboy burgers or ranch burgers) I use ground beef. No matter what you do to ground turkey some people just don't like it.

If you choose to try it again you may want to look online at recipes that include flavors you already like - that might help.
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey anywhere I would use gound beef. To me it tastes about the same but has a lighter feeling. Like spaghetti and meat sauce doesn't sit as heavy. I have had jennie-O turkey burgers and they are okay but I prefer a beef hamburger.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    I gave ground turkey another go with a SUPER moist and easy way to add spinach in it too. I adapted from Fitness magazine, hope you give ground turkey a try again some day ^u^

http://fluffycupcakehippie.blogspot.com/2012/03/whats-for-dinnner.html?zx=86913971866fbf58
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Love ground turkey (whole fam)! I don't even buy ground beef anymore. Lower in fat and tastes great.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i personally cannot stand ground turkey. So if you didn't like it then you probably won't like it a different way. If your trying to replace ground beef, don't. Just cut back on dishes that require ground beef or use chicken instead (b/s chicken breast). Also, alot of people suggested using a leaner ground beef and that may help.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I made taco meat with 99% lean ground turkey breast last Friday. Normally my husband yelps as soon as he notices it's not beef, but I must have seasoned it pretty well or something (I have started mixing up my own taco seasoning from herbs and spices in my cupboard while I'm browning the meat - it comes together pretty quickly and I know exactly what is going into it), because he didn't say anything other than to ask for seconds. :happy: I do find that it takes more seasoning to make it have much of a flavor, though. I usually add just a bit more ground chipotle/cayenne pepper.

I check the labels pretty closely these days, because most "ground turkey" I find anymore is 85% lean at best. If you're choosing turkey over beef simply because of perceived fat content, then it's no better - unless you normally eat ground beef that is less than 85% lean. It still contains 15% fat, regardless of what the other 85% is made of. If you're choosing it because you like the taste, more power to you. But if you don't like the taste, and you can't find it any leaner (or cheaper) than you normally purchase ground beef, I would suggest to not bother!
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Although rare, you can be allergic to it. I know someone who is allergic to chicken meat. If you can eat real turkey it may just be a bad batch. http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/foodborne_illness/Ground_Turkey.php

http://www.livestrong.com/article/503335-can-you-eat-turkey-if-youre-allergic-to-chicken/
  • AnneM69
    Options
    I like using it in stir fries with lots of mixed veggies, soy sauce, chill, garlic, and ginger. After reading this I'm going to make it tomorrow night, thanks!
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey. Been eating it for years. It's all on the quality and how you make it!
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use it for meatloaf, mostly. I do like the burgers but my husband doesn't particularly like them.
    I get the 93/7 when it's on sale, and make meatloaf or meatballs and they're delicious.
    But I've always liked ground turkey. :)
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. Stopped buying ground beef a while back after I realized how long it takes your body to digest it!!! I season it well and make sure to not over cook it. I also buy prepackaged Jennie-O seasoned turkey burgers for the grill. I do not remember having any of those problems with stomach pain.....I use it in my spaghetti, lasagna, and any recipe that calls for ground beef.. I wouldnt give up....
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am making 99% FF ground chicken wontons tonight. I have my fingers crossed that with ginger and some carrot that they will turn out OK. Fingers and toes crossed.
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We live on ground turkey. Never have I experienced a nasty smell or bad taste with it. My family actually prefers it to ground beef. We haven't had ground beef in over 2 years. There is a way to kind of ease ground turkey in. You could always mix ground turkey and ground beef together for your recipes. Then slowly increase the amount of turkey while decreasing your beef. Just a little hint, it was my way of dealing with picky eaters.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My friend made sloppy joes with ground turkey... he thought I wouldn't notice but I did. I didn't like it so much. I prefer soy > turkey if its being substituted.