Tried ground turkey the results was not good

Options
12346»

Replies

• email4jenp
    email4jenp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you - I can not stand ground turkey. It's gross. I love ground beef though. But it stinks because you really shouldn't eat that all the time. But it's a great, quick and easy source of protein.
  • Kendra0024
    Kendra0024 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We completely replaced ground beef with ground turkey at my house, and we LOVE it! What kind do you buy? We use the Honeysuckle White, and it is great (and much cheaper than ground beef).
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    As with the majority of foods, it depends on how you prepare it. If you're not a good cook, of course it's going to taste bad.

I personally love extra lean ground turkey; I make turkey burgers that I then serve with copious amounts of homemade guacamole on a crusty kaiser bun, or a homemade sprouted-grain bun.
  • mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought the ground turkey so idk what kind he bought.
    It didn't make him sick at all and he liked it.
    I'll probably stick with my ground beef, it taste better :).
  • sparrow70
    sparrow70 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't care for ground turkey made into burgers, but I can tell you that it is good if u mix it like u do your meatloaf, (just follow the recipe on back of the meatloaf seasoning, substituting for lower cal options will work out fine- (egg subsitute etc) & any other fav spices ( i use a lot), even onions & garlic. Shape into patties & fry on med heat w/ a little oil. They burn easy.Transfer to a microwave container & top with Heinz savory turkey gravy (very low calorie/fat/etc) and heat. Sometimes I also dillute the gravy with some low cal chicken canned broth to stretch it & use on a mashed/baked potato etc. I just found that ground turkey is so blah w/out all the spices or a gravy.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't eat anything again that made me sick. BUT ground turkey can be good if used in a good recipe. It does in my opinion have to be a recipe that has lots of flavor, because ground turkey is SO bland. One cannot just pat it together and slap it on a grill and have a tasty turkey burger. It needs a lot of add ins.

I was telling my 21 year old son that the ground turkey in my fridge seem to stay good longer than ground beef did. He said, "See mom even bacteria doesn't want to eat ground turkey." That just made me laugh as most people feel that way about ground turkey.

If you ever get brave enough to give it another try let me know. I have a couple really good recipes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i never noticed it but i dont like beef at all.

one thing about ground turkey is that it's pretty much flavorless because it's so lean. since i dont eat it for that reason ( did i mention i hate beef ? :laugh: ), i add olive oil in my mix as well as a bunch of seasoning.

i usually buy jennie o but that brand is really lean.

another delicious option is ground lamb. i think it's very tasting and unlike turkey a little seasoning goes a long way.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm a beef person, never been a fan of any type of dead bird. I found the only turkey meat I can stomach is the Honeysuckle 93/7. Even then, its only good in tacos, spaghetti sauce, or dirty rice mix. I wouldn't recommend using it for anything loafy, like burgers or meatloaf. Blech.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time this week, I didn't like it at all, it made my stomach hurt so bad. Just say I didn't eat the rest of my meal that day b/c it didn't taste good and yeah. So did anyone else ever tried it and made you wanna get sick? Did you try it again?

You can't really cook it like you cook ground beef. Turkey so much leaner. The good thing is with the spices available today, you can create any flavor you wish. Personally I am cayenne pepper freak and add this stuff to everything I put in my mouth, But try this:

* Add some apple sauce to the meat. May be 1/2 cup per 1LB (use your judgement)
    * Add 2 table spoons of A1 Bold and Spicy
    * Add cayenne pepper, garlic powder (not garlic and salt), and teaspoon of smoked paprika.

If you going to make burgers, stick them in the freezer for 45 minutes. This way they won't fall apart on your grill.

I personally roll these suckers in a small table spoon size ball, brown them in a skillet and add mixture of green and red cabbage and onion. Flavor is amazing. Give it a shot.
  • rikwaynik
    rikwaynik Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I tried a meatloaf with ground turkey, and none of my family liked it. If I do try it again, I will mix it with ground beef. But I use a very lean ground beef, so I will probably stick with that. I also do not like turkey hot dogs. I would rather eat a beef hot dog for 190 calories (just one), than a turkey dog for 45 calories!

That's what I do. I mix it with extra lean ground beef for sloppy joes ( just had one and it was delicious) and chili. I haven't graduated to just the ground turkey yet. :) I plan to try some of the other ideas posted here.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    ...Y'all are weird.
    Jennie O Turkey burgers are pretty on point delicious.

Making your chili with 1 part beef 2 parts turkey? Deelish. Ultra lean ground turkey is cheaper than ultra lean ground beef, which is why I liked it.. and on occasion you could get 1 lb chubs for one dollar in the frozen section. Effff yes.

Now I'm a veg, though, so no turkey for me.