So much for people NOT watching.

Options

Replies

• Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    People are jerks and have no sense of how their words/actions affect ther people. I know it's tough, but I would say screw them and jsut keep doing what you're doing! From your ticker you're obviously losing weight and on the right track, ignore those people they're just jerks.

You've already lost 26 pounds, don't let a few jerky people mess that up. I have a huge respect for people who start the journey to lose lots of weight! I love that show Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition, very inspirational -- losing weight isn't the easiest thing, it takes motivation and perseverence and you clearly have that. Keep it up!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    One day there was a small group of people in the graveyard who made it known that they were less than enthused that I was jogging there. They stared at me and grumbled to each other for a long time, but eventually they left. After they left 7 o'clock lady walked over to me and said, "Don't...Stop...Running". She told me she came to the graveyard everyday and looked forward to seeing me on the days I came there. Seeing me work at running reminded her that she was alive. She was not the one who died, and she needed to get moving too. It was a very emotional moment for me, and it really made me decide that I don't care what those other people think. I am doing this for me, and the people that are rooting me on are wonderful but the naysayers can kiss it.

I welled up at that. Bless that woman, that was probably very difficult for her to say aswell, as she'd be thinking of who she had lost.
    Well done to you, keep it up.x

That made me get a lil wet eyed too ;)

That's awesome!!!
  • demningoreilly
    Options
    People are just f*$!!ing idiots most of the time. I work with people who are fat and out of shape yet make negative comments about other people who are trying to get healthy. This summer I have gained back 15 lbs. of what I had lost last year so I'm sure I'm giving them lots of stuff to talk about. Anyway I think at least I try. I'm a better person for trying.
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am sorry this happened to you. Please don't let it derail you though as others have said! I can only imagine how hurtful that was but you need to stay strong and keep working hard to meet your goals, to be healthier and happier! You are doing wonderfully so far so keep it up!
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    The world is not filled with rainbows and butterflies and unicorns.
    Brush it off. Keep moving. They will only "derail" you if you let it bother you.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You know what? You can get thinner and healthier but some people will only get uglier and meaner! I pick healthy.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that, please don't let a couple *kitten* derail your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • samlankford
    Options
    Was driving someplace with my mom the other day, and she made a comment about a large guy jogging on the side of the road.. I turned to look at her and flat out said "at least he is trying to become healthier"! I exercise EVERYDAY at least 1 time a day, I eat super healthy, no dairy, no pork, no grease (stomach will not allow it).. Since October of 2011 I have went from a size 12-10 being snug to wearing a size 2.. my mother and my step father on the other hand are anti-exercise, eat stuff that is bad for them ALL THE TIME.. I told her to NEVER make a comment again about someone who actually makes an effort to take care of them selves... have not heard her utter a word about a larger person since... its rude and totally uncalled for when people make comments like that...
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    People are disgusting! You are doing something good for yourself and of course there have to be those people that must put others down. When I see people running, regardless of size I always think good for them and to be honest if they are a little bigger I think its great, your chaging your life and making yourself into a healthier person. Don't let nasty people get to you, continue on your journey and screw the haters :)
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this 100%.... and I honestly want to hug you. Which might be why I'm not going to be my normal keep your head up blah blah blah about this because this has happened to me multiple times. From walking around at a wawa where I had some people close to my age following me to see what I picked up after the guy told his gf "I don't want to hear you say you're fat again!", to the stares and laughs at the gym. The sad thing is, I'm not even as bad as some people who DONT work out are. I'm large, I know that, I am not muscular, but the thing is... when someone who IS overweight is working out, trying hard, who CARES? They WANT that difference, that's why they're trying. If they want to think negative, then think about the morbidly obese people who don't even THINK they are. I have a cousin who is very overweight. I will never forget the summer I hung out with her when she was newly overweight. She had a halter top, just covers the front but shows the stomach, and she wanted to wear it. Her comment "when I wear this I look like Brittany Spears, everyone loves me in it!" She to this day (and about 100 lbs heavier) wears stuff like that. But she thinks she's not overweight, and does NOTHING about it. THAT is a problem. You busting your butt, running up hills, running in parks.... THAT is NOT a problem. That's you trying, and so what if you don't look like some 100lb model running, one day you just might. That's what they need to realize, you look this way today, and you're busting your butt to be sexier another day. Keep your head high, and your motivations higher. Add me if you want support. <3
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You know what? Some time from now, you will be jogging that same route and those same *kitten* will walk by. But this time, they will be checking you out. When he tries to "pick up" on you, you can shoot him down for the loser he/they is/are. :happy:
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people flat out suck. But why would you let that "derail" you? Seriously, how could being made fun of for being "fat" derail anyone? Isn't that why you're here? Because you're tired of being called fat?

I agree with the above poster. Being fat is WHY YOU'RE RUNNING. It may not be the way we like to think of it - believe me, I know from experience. For me, I had to break down and really confront the horror and sadness of being so fat in order to make a lasting change - to realize that I didn't want to be that person - not just because others looked at me as ugly and unworthy, but because *I* was looking at myself as ugly and unworthy... and feeling that way about myself is a huge reason why I allowed myself to get that way in the first place. I spent many hours crying on the elliptical machine or while walking (while I was still too heavy to run), and then I cried while I ran. You know what? It was cathartic. I accepted the sadness, and then I told myself "Forgive yourself. Forget the past. You're here now, and as long as you keep walking/running/exercising/eating clean, you never have to be there again."

I'll tell you something else - I cried after I crossed the finish line of my first 10K race, after losing over 140 pounds. But those tears were totally different.

So when you hear "fat girl" comments and laughter again - because let's be honest, you probably will - just take it in. Yes, right now you're fat. Forgive yourself for that, and give yourself credit for every step you take towards fixing it.

Feel free to message me or friend me if you want to talk more. I understand. I support you in solidarity. Now YOU support you, because you're worthy of it.

xo,
    Amy
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    Awww bb I think you rock just for not giving up! The first week I tried walking/jogging in Feb around my apt complex I had a car bunch of young girls literally slow down in theb itter cold,roll down there window and say "Hey fatty can I hit it in the morning,without half od your lard suffocating me?" then sped off.It made me cry I was so upset, I think mostly because they were females ya know? Anyway I sucked it up and haven't stop yet it made me work harder to prove them wrong.60lbs later and 37lbs from losing 100lbs I think I got the last laugh ^u^
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    People can be nasty. This is life. This is not a newsflash. The world is not filled with rainbows and butterflies and unicorns.

Sometimes people flat out suck. But why would you let that "derail" you? Seriously, how could being made fun of for being "fat" derail anyone? Isn't that why you're here? Because you're tired of being called fat?

Use it as motivation. There are rude, inconsiderate, nasty people on the planet. Crying about them is not going to change that fact.

This is just about what I was going to say, but let it make you MAD, get ANGRY and then go out and push even harder. Pain and anger are two great motivators, at least for me. You CAN do it!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry this happened to you ( hug) some people are just complete and utter b@stards...you are doing this to help YOU.

You go back and you do it...ignore the d!ckheads...just think to yourself " I am doing this to be healthy...so f***off....I can change my shape...and remember they can't change their ugly faces :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I was jogging one time when some guys in a red car drove by and screamed, "fat b$*ch!". It felt awful. I wanted to be able to defend myself by saying how much weight I had lost (as if that would have mattered to them). But I had worked so hard to get where I was and people were still looking at me as the fatty.

Another time I was walking and some guys drove by and one of them threw a coke at me. It was humiliating. I kept thinking if I had been skinny and beautiful, they never would have done that to me. I told myself it didn't matter, that I just happened to be the one there, not to let it get me down etc...but the truth was, it affected me a lot. I thought about it every time I went walking for a long time after that. It reminded me that I'm one of the undesirables.

I'm sorry you went through that. I understand how it feels. Don't let it stop you from running. xoxo.
  • BC02
    BC02 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with all the folks saying to just ignore them because they are idiots.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Alot of people in this world are jerks. Sadly it isn't going to get better anytime soon. Best thing to do is ignore them and move along.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This happened to me about a year ago...and I had already been running regularly for about 6 months, had lost about half of the weight I wanted to lose. I was running down a busy street (thankfully it was dark so I didn't see who said it) and some guys yelled out, "Get it girl...(pause) THUNDER THIGHS!!!" In the moment it made me run harder, but I couldn't stop thinking about how badly that would have derailed me if it had happened months earlier. Just know that it is true (for the most part) that people do not care and are not watching. There are going to be the few a-holes that do watch and do say something, but just know that for each one of them, there are at least 10 other people who feel tears welling up in their eyes thinking, "I wish I had the courage to run."
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    People are cruel. And I honestly don't think they think about what comes out of their mouth before they say it. I probably would have yelled, "Who's the one running? You or me?" or just looked around trying to figure out what they were talking about.

I am glad that you didn't let it keep you from working out, though. Don't let stupid people like this bother you. They usually have a lot of extra baggage and are just trying to bring others down to feel better about themselves. Maybe next time try Mace? haha I am soooo just kidding!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Keep running and doing your thing. Only someone so insecure about themselves and unhappy with their lives would feel the need to tear someone else down, especially when they are someone who is obviously trying to better their situation. F%$k them!

You should know that the norm out there (I believe) is the following: When I see someone running--fat, skinny, somewhere in between....I AUTOMATICALLY think "You go!" Running is hard and you are out there doing it. Wish I was too!