So much for people NOT watching.

Options

Replies

• redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that happened to you, but you can't let one knucklehead sidetrack you. The world is full of knuckleheads unfortunately.

Try to remember that for every one of those jerks, there are probably ten people who are quietly impressed at your effort.

I would never say anything, but when I see somebody who is obviously out of shape, but who is out running or whatever and doing the hard work to improve themselves, I want to tell them how impressed I am with their effort and guts. You never know how that will be received, so I usually just nod and smile, but I am secretly cheering them on.

Haters gonna hate. Just turn on the music and forget anybody is there. :bigsmile:

Go kick butt again tomorrow!
  • sayavel
    Options
    You are doing it for you, and regardless of what someone says or does...you are a daughter of God and he loves you, and he is mindful of you! I don't say this to be preachy either. You are a beautiful person that needs to know you can do what you put your mind to, and if you are exercising then you are seriously trying your best to lose.. their attitude reflects their stupidity! Lifestyle change is a long steady process so stay on the journey and be happy. We are in this journey together! Keep on truckin my friend!!:flowerforyou:
  • KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Other peoples comments can get in your head, but only if you let it! Remember you were the one running while they were only running their mouths! Just keep going! I cannot tell you haw many times I've had hecklers around my neighborhood yell "Run Forest, Run" Once, I yelled back "Stupid is as stupid does!"

Love it!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    some people are just negative idiots and no matter what they dwell on negative thoughts. That used to happen to me all the time but I used it as fuel. Not running but playing sports, i'm skilled by just wasn't in good shape. Some would make fun all the time, laugh and everything else so that motivated me to just worry about me and getting fitter. Needless to say, although I have more work to do the last time I went to the basketball court with a fired up motivation and a die hard attitude and of course being 44lbs lighter I ran circles around them. No I wasn't nice about either cause after my team won I took the ball handed it to one of the guys who hated and told him..."who's laughing now *****" lol

Awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    , "OH MY GOD! Would you look at that girl running!!"

There, I fixed that for you. I know it sucks, but forget about them. Anyone who gets their kicks off of something like that is extremely immature. When life catches up to them and suddenly they are the fat ones huffing up the stairs and you are smoking hot, justice will be served. Karma is a bi***.

Happy friday to you too!

My exactly thought! You weren't "trying" to run - there is no "try" when you pick your feet up and move faster! Or as Yoda says, "Do or do not, there is no try". :)

Those idiots are damaged in some way where they feel like they have to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down. That is not normal, that is twisted. Keep reminding yourself of that, keep your chin up and keep moving! You got this!
  • smp0723
    Options
    People can be nasty. This is life. This is not a newsflash. The world is not filled with rainbows and butterflies and unicorns.

Sometimes people flat out suck. But why would you let that "derail" you? Seriously, how could being made fun of for being "fat" derail anyone? Isn't that why you're here? Because you're tired of being called fat?

Use it as motivation. There are rude, inconsiderate, nasty people on the planet. Crying about them is not going to change that fact.

I agree--it sounds harsh but I personally use other peoples negative attitudes as a motivator for myself. I get MAD! Then I use that MAD to pump up my workouts & fight harder for my goal. People like that are ugly on the inside for sure. If you haven't seen the movie Shallow Hal-go get it-it's a great (& funny) movie that reflects exactly who those people are. Keep your chin up and keep plugging along!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    , "OH MY GOD! Would you look at that girl running!!"

There, I fixed that for you. I know it sucks, but forget about them. Anyone who gets their kicks off of something like that is extremely immature. When life catches up to them and suddenly they are the fat ones huffing up the stairs and you are smoking hot, justice will be served. Karma is a bi***.

Happy friday to you too!

I don't know what I can add that hasn't already been said, but A) I want to offer you a huge hug....and B) I'm glad someone already did/said what I was going to do...turn what they said into a hugely positive statement!! HELLS YEAH!! WOULDJA LOOK AT THAT GIRL RUN!!! GOOD FOR HER!! She's doing exactly what she should* be doing!! Taking her life by the balls and trying to improve it!! When I start to get down about my size and a little insecure about what others think, I switch into a mentality of "I'm EXACTLY where I should be. At the GYM or whatever. I'm not* at the Donut Shop...or McDonald's snarfing down a greasy burger, fries and shake. I'm working on improving myself!!!!!!!"

F them. They and their rude, hurtful opinions don't matter. And you don't have to prove anything to them. It's yourself you are doing this for.

Keep chugging along, Hon. It will get easier. Promise.

DR
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Mean people suck!

Why don't you take all that hurt and frustration that you feel and use it to push yourself harder during your workouts. I don't know about you, but that would make me want to work twice as hard...And hell YES go back to that park, every chance you get. Don't let them know that they got to you. Fu(k those people!

Keep running girl. Don't let anyone get in the way of what you're trying to accomplish!

Good luck!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Sorry to hear you got the jerks there, just keep going knowing that one day they will get what's coming to them and that for every negative nelly you get that does that, here, when you share a story like this, you will have (as of the time I'm making this post) 5 pages (with approximately 25 posts per page) of people telling you to keep going and keep up all that work you're doing because haters like that will NEVER be THE WINNER THAT YOU ARE:happy:

And by the time I posted this, it's 6 pages
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    This is why I am attached to my headphones like an they'll save my life. I know people say stuff about me and if I can't hear it that is ok. I am a bike rider and although I am far from wearing tight spandex (haha) I know people say stuff and have yelled at me from cars. I have even had people try to spill water bottles on me. I don't get the human race but I would love to see a B**ch go toe to toe with me concidering I have been strength training for over a year. F-- Em. I know it sucks, I am not going to be that person that says "sticks and stones" because it hurts. I called called a fat B**ch not too long ago (unprevoked and I was wearing a great outfit too) and it hurt even though I tried to brush it off. They can suck it, We rock and have more strength and love in our souls then they ever will.
  • aimeero2012
    Options
    I have been running lately and I'm training for a 5k run. I am getting better and faster all the time, but people are always saying rude and unkind things to me in the street. Try not to let the B*****ds grind you down!
    I always think to myself 'you can kiss my fat *kitten* as I run past'. This makes me smile. So I look a bit mad as well as wobbly x
  • JeBebe
    Options
    Keep going back to that park every single day until that one day you reach your goal and just breeze past them with a smile and rockin' bod :)
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    People are going to talk ish, its about 4-6 times a week I over hear rude comments about me, usually from people I dont know

theres something wildly intimidating about someone making a change and being powerful in their life, but it also feels empowering to put someone down.

Just a quote from my dads road rage, I may be fat and ugly, but youre fat ugly and stupid.....
  • calm81
    calm81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    NEXT TIME just ignore them and repeat loudly in your head " ignore those *kitten*, atleast I'm soo.g something about it instead of crying on the couch with *insert favorite comfort food* I'm proud of myself!" If anything, that would feel more like motivation than an insult for me. Whenever I'm running and feel like passing out, I repeat in my head every mean insult I've EVER heard and it doesn't have to be just fat jokes, whether it was how u dress , your height, your hairstyle....use it has fuel. I've noticed with myself and everyone that when we're pissed off ENERGY that we did.t mow we have comes out. Example: whenever my dad made my mom upset I would notice it would give her an adrenaline...ne,t thing u know she deep cleaned the ENTIRE house, walked the dog. Anger gives off adrenaline!! Keep that in mind! Good luck, you're doing AWESOME!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    that is absolutely horrible. let it be a lesson for them and a lesson for you--hopefully you will rise up and listen to your heart (and us). it's people like you that win at this journey of healthy living. i feel for you, i do. i would be so hurt. but they don't know you from adam and you will be stronger and the better person in this!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Let the little dogs bark. And keep running!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. People can be so inconsiderate and hurtful. There are a few people who will always be jerks, no matter what, but not everyone feels that way. Someone posted this a while ago and i thought it was beautiful.

(This is a blog entry from flintland.blogspot.com)

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the
    running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.
    You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make
    you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops
    on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so
    much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes
    at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You
    never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the
    reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is
    tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a
    brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will
    far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face
    your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this
    physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult
    decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take
    is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so
    slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were
    in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is
    stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is
    possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and
    put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that
    the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so
    inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,
    know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so
    many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,
    “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from
    deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are
    relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and
    you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe
    tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will
    not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a
    new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

This gave me goosebumps. And that's rare. Lovely.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The problem is not you, it's THEM. People who are at peace with themselves just don't treat others that way.
    Everytime you start to play back those nasty words in your head, replace them with all the supportive words you've read here.
    Imagine you've just run past me, and I'm giving you a big smile and a high five. You've got this. You are gonna win this race.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Every day you're not dead in the ground, when you wake up in the morning, you're gonna have to make some decisions. Got to ask yourself this question: "Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today?" You hear me today? "Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today?
    Constantine - The Help

I love this quote and it really helps me when people are horrible, they can say those things, you dont have to believe them!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Something similiar happened to me this summer while running in the park- but before I dive into my story I just want to point out that this summer is the first summer in YEARS that I've been comfortable in a bathing suit, sports bra, etc. so when I run in the park now I feel pretty confident in myself- and on with the story... I was on my second or third mile through the park (on an 85 degree, cloudless day) and I passed two heavier women eating fudge-sicles pushing strollers accompanied by their fairly overweight toddlers (also eat fudge-sicles) and one of them actually had the balls to say (very loudly so that she knew I'd hear) "WOW, that's just disgusting. Why would you go into public looking like that? She's covered in sweat and probably smells like *kitten*." It took every ounce of self-control I had in me to not turn around and rip her a new a$shole. Who the hell was she to comment on me running through the park? For bettering myself? Being covered in sweat when I'm finished running makes me feel like a freaking champ. Sure I probably didn't smell like roses when I was done- but it's EXERCISE. It's not a glamorous thing. The glamor in it is when you can proudly wear a size smaller jeans out on a Friday night and know that you're rocking the *kitten* out of them.

Those people who say garbage like that don't know how to deal with their jealousy, so they just try to make the people who are doing good for themselves seem like the one who's doing something wrong. Keep up the running. When I started, I was always self-conscious when I would see someone who you could tell has been running their entire lives like it's nothing. You put the work in, and you will LOVE the results. Don't let idiots like that get you down. Let that be your motivation to not give up!