Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    my mom says warsh instead of wash! Drives me nuts!

I had a friend in grad school who said this as well as "Idear". When we started a new semester/class with a new teacher who hadn't had us before he said he had an "Idear" and one of our friends said to him "Andy, the R is silent". It was funny!!!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Carmel instead of CARAMEL!!! Notice the extra "a" in there. Probably, I'll be hearing more people eating "carmel" apples right now since fall is upon us.

This is also a regional thing, more like pop vs. soda than a true mispronunciation. I've only ever heard car-mel in my area of the country. No one here says car-a-mel.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    When people are spelling to me at work over the phone and say R-Rah for the letter R. So stupid!

I totally forgot about this one.. this one KILLS me every year when I listen to these certain phone calls at work where people call in and give their info. Drives me INSANE! :explode:
  • amh50530
    amh50530 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Missour-ah instead of Missour-ee when pronouncing Missouri.

Sounds so annoying to me! I'm from Central Missour-ee and most of the people I've met that say it that way are from the southern part of the state, so perhaps it might just be based on preference and the region you are from. However, TV news reports say Missour-ee and the dictionary also says it should be pronounced with a long e. It takes all of my strength not to correct someone when I hear it! :noway:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I just realized the one in the title could drive me crazy too lol

Pronounciation instead of Pronunciation. Was that intentional or just irony?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    alright- A'ight

It just makes you sound lazy and dumb.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This is a spelling one, so common on this website; ect instead of etc. Always reminds me of psychiatric patients having horrible treatment...
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    When I was in college a professor put the following words on the board:

Mary
    Merry
    Marry

Then asked each student in the class to read the 3 words...There were 12 us in the room and 2 of my class mates pronounced each word differently the rest of us all said "mary"

I have no point I just wanted to post :)
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    One that gets me is pronouncing the state Illinois like IlliNOISE. Some people really put an emphasis on an s at the end. Also when people add R to words like ideaR.
  • dkkwilson
    dkkwilson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Theater. It is not thee-ate-er, it is thee-uh-ter.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

American English is a form of proper English and the pronunciation of a lot of words, such as schedule, were purposely changed when the American English dictionary was written. Sublime is pronounced by most americans as sa-blime.
  • dkkwilson
    dkkwilson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One that gets me is pronouncing the state Illinois like IlliNOISE. Some people really put an emphasis on an s at the end. Also when people add R to words like ideaR.

and this ^^^
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Carmel instead of CARAMEL!!! Notice the extra "a" in there. Probably, I'll be hearing more people eating "carmel" apples right now since fall is upon us.

This is also a regional thing, more like pop vs. soda than a true mispronunciation. I've only ever heard car-mel in my area of the country. No one here says car-a-mel.

It's like tomato, tomahtoe etc.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Just had good one at work. Guy just called for a price on a pair supply...very confused I thought what the heck is a pair supply. Oh you're saying power supply, i'm such a moron.

Wars, instead of wires
  • flpmomi
    flpmomi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    familyguy-stewie-coolwhip-2.jpg

FREAKIN" AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love family guy!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    "Prolly" for PROBABLY
    "supposably" FOR SUPPOSEDLY
    "rurnt" or "runed" for RUINED
    "zinc" for SINK
    "crouch" for CROTCH
    "clouset" for CLOSET
    "southmore" for Sophomore

...and I hate the new tendency of everyone to shorten words: "def" for DEFINITELY, "totes" for TOTALLY , and "pics" for PICTURES. Although I have been guilty of the last one myself, and I make myself want to scream. I understand if you're on twitter and space is limited or you are rushing through a text, but verbally? Really? What has all this texting done to us?

or the use of stupidity for perfectly good words such as: "amazeballs" for AMAZING. really? "amazeballs"? WTF!

Also, grates my nerves when people add "licious" onto the end of other words. It just sounds annoying.

Wow, I didn't realize I was so passionate about the spoken word. I'm sorry!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Another one: sports caster who say WESconsin instead of WISconsin. I even heard one say WESTconsin. Where is West Consin???? It's and I for a reason... :)
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    My most annoying ones are all said by a single one of my coworkers:

Available: she says "Avay-ble"
    Supposedly: she says "supposably"
    Error: she says "ay-er"
    Personal: she says "personable"
    :explode:

Personable is a word.

Yes it is, but she is using it in place of personal. Basically in place of the term "Personally identifiable information" she says "personable information"
  • jaeysson
    jaeysson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people say woof instead of woLf, please pronounce the L, you don't say the plural woofs do you, no its woLves! Roof is almost as bad.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Prounounciation instead of pronunciation. That drives me crazy.