Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• acrue21
    acrue21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When my husband says "Battery" is comes out "Battree" and when he answers the phone to say hello its comes out "yellow" lol Oklahoma hick accent .
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Stewie Griffin: Hey, pass over some of that Cool wHip
    Brian Griffin: What?
    Stewie Griffin: Well, you put Cool wHHip on pie.
    Brian Griffin: It's Cool Whip
    Stewie Griffin: That's what I said, Cool wHHip
    Brian Griffin: Cool Whip
    Stewie Griffin: Cool wHHip
    Brian Griffin: Why are you putting so much emphasis on the H?
    Stewie Griffin: What are you talking about? I'm just saying Cool wHHip
    Brian Griffin: Say whip
    Stewie Griffin: Whip
    Brian Griffin: Now say Cool Whip
    Stewie Griffin: Cool wHHip
  • DevoteeofIset
    DevoteeofIset Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

The first time I heard Sub-leem I almost fell off my chair. I was alone but looked around because I was in disbelief and had to try and find it again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I had to ask people too... No one I know or have asked says Sub-leem.
    I think some idiot read the card wrong. I refuse to accept this pronunciation :D
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    irregardless :)
    ^^KILLS ME!!!! LOL
    and the more poplar aks.....and yes it was intended lol
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    People who pronounce their 'a' funny.
    Ex: The name Sarah, they'll say "sah-ruh" instead of "sehr-ruh"

Or "tah-ruh" instead of "tehr-ruh" for Tara.

..much of my family is from New York. I haaaaaate the way they pronounce that!

My dad is from SC and he says "SAY-ra" instead of Sarah, and "Kay-ren" for Karen...
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    All of this reminds me of an Eddie Izzard bit... Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5H7cgcpkg
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    FUstrated instead of fRustrated. There's an R in there people!

I have a friend who does this all the time, even after I've told him he does it. He just laughs and says, 'Yah, isn't it fUstrating?'

He also calls people named Jeremy, Germ-e.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Liberry for library (there is an R in it)
    Ambalance for ambulance (it's a U not an A)
    Supposably for supposedly (it's a D)
    Axe for Ask (I tell my students it's the "naughty word" with a K....*kitten*-k)
    Pronouncing the S in Illinois
    Melk for Milk (it's a short I sound!!)
    Wesconsin for Wisconsin (again...short I sound)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

The first time I heard Sub-leem I almost fell off my chair. I was alone but looked around because I was in disbelief and had to try and find it again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I had to ask people too... No one I know or have asked says Sub-leem.
    I think some idiot read the card wrong. I refuse to accept this pronunciation :D

The only time I've heard "sub-leem" was on some makeup commercial or something, and I think they were trying to sound French. :laugh:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    omg it's a COUpon, not a Q-pon.

and if i hear one more person say heighTH instead of heighT...

That must be regional dialect. No one on the west coast says KOO-pon. It is KYOO-pon out here. Even the dictionary includes both pronouncations.
  • clp60
    clp60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My MIL says bat trees instead of batteries. My DH will say "vocal your opinion" instead of voice your opinion. My mom says frajita instead of fajita and asparagrus instead of asparagus. My daughter used to say cuemcumber instead of cucumber, but I broke her of that habit!
  • BVegasIs4Lovers
    BVegasIs4Lovers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When people are spelling to me at work over the phone and say R-Rah for the letter R. So stupid!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    "Aks" for Ask
    and
    "starberry" for strawberry
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Carmel instead of CARAMEL!!! Notice the extra "a" in there. Probably, I'll be hearing more people eating "carmel" apples right now since fall is upon us.

Also, axe for ask, supposably for supposedly, libary instead of library,

I could probably think of more, but I have a time limit today!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Words that start with a vowel, such as "elimination", that is regularly pronounced by TV hosts and others as "alimination." What sound does "E" make????
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Melk for Milk (it's a short I sound!!)

This one too!!! I have a friend who does that, and pellow instead of pillow. Really???
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wal-Marts- my mother

Wal-Mark- my mother's boyfriend who works there!

wrench-instead of rinse

warsh-instead of wash

We live in Bollinger County. Everyone calls it Ballinjer, Bowlinger. Nope, it's Bullinger, just spelled with an O
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    For some reason I say invitation as invintation. I've done it forever & can't help it so I learned just to say invite. Then people don't look at me funny.

My grandparents say depot and walgreens (walgrins) wrong. It drives me completely nuts. And the worse? I think they do it on purpose. Argh

But a lot of it is regional differences and people can't help it. My BF makes fun of my "northern/mid-western" accent all the time. It's not that strong and many people from where I am have a much stronger accent than I ever did.

Also there are two brothers in the NHL. They pronounce their last name different. They are Czech but played in different areas of the world before becoming NHLers so they say it different. I think this is a fastenating topic and I love listening to people talk and hearing accents.
  • DevoteeofIset
    DevoteeofIset Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Idear. There is no "R" in the word "idea"

Maybe they should return that R to the "LIBARY!"

Yes!

OMG! So many people I know say LIBARY!!! And we do lectures in Libraries and they say it in the lecture, and in the video and it drives me nuts!!!!!! :D
  • MrsPeek
    Options
    drawl instead of draw