3 day military diet- information and a rant

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In all my (and my husbands) time in the military I've never seen or heard of this diet. I saw idiots running around in garbage bags, eating nothing but celery for the week up to the PRT because they couldn't be bothered to get in shape for the six months between PRTs (And then being shocked when they puked on the run. And then barely sneaking pass and going to McDonald's to eat everything in sight and puking again. Oh Military life...)

I was a little over the weight regs when I meet my recruiter and was told, in no uncertain terms, to get in better shape and lose the damn weight. I went to DEP meetings every week and stayed an hour late every time and worked my butt off (while eating more than ever, lol) So while some recruiters might have pushed this, and some people might have done it to make weight, it certainly wasn't the norm or accepted. I ate 2500-3000 calories a day, easy, in that period of my life and no one even batted an eye. If I'd been eating saltines and cottage cheese however, I might have drawn some odd looks.
  • arizona0613
    Options
    I've been reading everyone reviews about this Diet. I've seen it online and my friend just did it and lost 7.3lbs I'm going to put it to the test. It doesn't seem hard to do
  • MariG25
    MariG25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Dinner--1 Cup of Tuna, 1/2 of a Banana, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

Some people have the funniest taste buds.

Not only that, but have you ever tried to eat tuna from the can without mayonnaise? It's very dry and hard to choke down.
    I like the tuna just like that. Well I put it on a plate and squeeze a lime over it along with some hot sauce lol. My kids eat it the same way lol once i told them i was going to add mayo on it and they all said ewww! Lol
  • nancy6171
    nancy6171 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tried this diet with a friend a month ago and lost five pounds. That's with two workouts. Gained it back - yo-yoing up & down. In on day two of doing it again and have to say, it's tough. I'm hungry. I eat fairly well normally but enjoy my food. For a quick fix for summer, it's not bad. I'll try it again next week with two workouts and see where it leads me.

The way I look at it is this: we ALL know that it's not reality. We ALL know it will work. So try something adventurous and see if you have the will power to do it. If anything, you drop a few and shrink your stomach while in the process!!
  • nancy6171
    nancy6171 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you need motivation, ill help! I need it too! Good luck! It's not that bad!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Military diet?

bwahahahahaha

It's more like this (During BT):

Breakfast:
    2 pancakes/1 waffle
    2 strips of bacon/2 links of sausage
    1 Cup of Grits
    1.5 cups of Milk
    1.5 cups of "Victory Punch" (AKA Gatorade with extra salt)
    1.5 cups of scrambled eggs
    1 orange/1 apple

Lunch
    1/8 lb Salsbury Streak
    2 cups salad w/full fat dressing
    1 orange/1 apple
    3 cups of Victory Punch
    2 cups of french fries

Dinner:
    1 1/4 lb cheeseburger
    2 cups salad w/full fat dressing of your choice
    2 cups cottage cheese
    1.5 cups milk
    3 cups of Victory Punch
    2 cups french fries
    1 orange/1 apple

Exercise:
    1 hour of calisthenics
    1 hour of cardio (Running)
    6-8 hours of obstacle courses, rifle range, forced marches

Total Calories Consumed: About 4000-5000
    Total Calories Burned: About 3000-4000
  • Moreau86
    Moreau86 Posts: 1
    Options
    I tried this and it actually worked for me. I think everyone's body is different which is why some people rave about diets and others hate the same diet. The best things is to try it and see if it works for you.

I am 5'7" and started at 156 lbs and ended at 148. I repeated it the following week and got down to 145. I repeated it the week after that and got down to 142. I even cheated and would have wine at night which wasn't part of the diet. I was also taking a garcinia cambogia supplement that I saw on doctor oz so I am not sure if that contributed to the weightloss but it may have. On the weekends I would eat fairly healthy and drink wine and beer with my family while barbequeing. I stayed between 142 and 145 for 3 weeks following without exercise and strict dieting. Then, I tried the dr. oz 3 day fast and got down to 138. Then I joined a gym and have been working out for 3 weeks which has brought me down to 135. I have to be in a wedding on Sunday which is in 4 days so I am going to start the 3 day diet again tomorrow to hopefully look a little better in my super tighter (ugh) bridesmaid dress. I also bought spanx to help, lol.

I am not saying I promote this diet, just giving anyone interested a personal experience. I have always believed that our bodies work more like a chemistry lab instead of a bank account. For me, it has never been calories in versus calories out but has been more about the type of foods I eat. I have lost way more weight on a high calorie diet relying on salmon and lean proteins than I have on a low calorie diet combined with working out. I have friends who are the opposite of me. I think you just need to find what works best for you and your body. Good luck to everyone with their weight loss journeys!
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm in the military, active duty. I was never put on a diet like this, not even in basic training.
  • tattycakes
    tattycakes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How does this diet compare to the benefits of intermittent fasting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

People seem convinced that very low calorie diets are silly, but its been shown that fasting for some of the time can be really good for you.

After all, it's only natural, humans in the wild would not be able to eat 3 square meals a day, every day.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    This just looks like 3 days of logging of a random person on a low calorie diet. That's all. And that person is eating too much processed food to boot.

And some poor naive souls are heading to supermarkets to look for saltine crackers, "to do it right".

This is just so ridiculous.
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Military diet? Doesn't look like a military diet to me, there isn't any tabasco sauce anywhere in there! Drop the bread and ice cream and youve got the start of a primal diet, however.

Yep, certainly not a military diet. When I was in the military we used to pretty much eat anything and everything. The reason was that we also worked our butts off daily. So there was no need to diet. Of course this lifestyle bit me in the *kitten* once I got out of the military - lol
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Military diet?

bwahahahahaha

It's more like this (During BT):

Breakfast:
    2 pancakes/1 waffle
    2 strips of bacon/2 links of sausage
    1 Cup of Grits
    1.5 cups of Milk
    1.5 cups of "Victory Punch" (AKA Gatorade with extra salt)
    1.5 cups of scrambled eggs
    1 orange/1 apple

Lunch
    1/8 lb Salsbury Streak
    2 cups salad w/full fat dressing
    1 orange/1 apple
    3 cups of Victory Punch
    2 cups of french fries

Dinner:
    1 1/4 lb cheeseburger
    2 cups salad w/full fat dressing of your choice
    2 cups cottage cheese
    1.5 cups milk
    3 cups of Victory Punch
    2 cups french fries
    1 orange/1 apple

Exercise:
    1 hour of calisthenics
    1 hour of cardio (Running)
    6-8 hours of obstacle courses, rifle range, forced marches

Total Calories Consumed: About 4000-5000
    Total Calories Burned: About 3000-4000

Yep this sounds more like my time in the military, the meals might have even been a bit larger than what is listed here. Though we did really only have 3 meals a day, so we ate like pigs at a trough during those times - lol
  • paredes515
    paredes515 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too was not a believer there's no way I said to myself you can lose 10lbs in just 3 days! But I've been trying just about everything from counting calories, to crash dieting to get me out of my platue. I had my baby boy 2 months ago and gained 60lbs! Lost 30lbs within the first 2wks of giving birth but after that I was just stuck in the 160's...long story short I tried the military diet just finished my 3rd day it was hard, I was HUNGRY, but I finished it! And to my amazement I lost 5lbs in the 3 days I was on the diet, I'm back in the 150's now this diet helped me break through my platue! Now only 22lbs to go to get back to my previous pregnancy weight! :) Defiantly recommend this plan for someone who's trying to lose weight fast for whatever reason, I plan on doing this diet once a week until I reach my goal weight! Good luck!!!
  • Thanks for doing the calcutations, I was actually thinking of doing it.
  • FusionDancer13
    FusionDancer13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I actually did this diet and lost about 8 pounds and have been able to keep them off. It works for some and doesn't work for others. This is a good way to get "back on track" or help me break weight plateaus. I also never felt hungry ONCE when I was on this diet, and I drank TONS of water (about 1.5 gallons a day) so I know I did not just lose water weight. I will be doing this diet again, starting tomorrow, and see if the results are similar. :)
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    How does this diet compare to the benefits of intermittent fasting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

People seem convinced that very low calorie diets are silly, but its been shown that fasting for some of the time can be really good for you.

After all, it's only natural, humans in the wild would not be able to eat 3 square meals a day, every day.

Because you're making up for eating a lower number of calories later in the week. For example, yes, you might only eat 500 calories for 1-2 days, but you're supposed to be eating maintenance the other 5 days of the week. Or that's how I've read how 5:2 is supposed to work.
  • mistyb1972
    Options
    i tried a version of this diet and lost 6lbs the first time. The second time i lost 3lbs....however i made tons of changes...i am lactose intolerant and diabetic. Therefore i ate 3 scrambled eggs cooked in cocnut oil or 3 boiled eggs for breakfast. For lunch i made tuna salad with mayo dill cubes and ms dash or dill weed and had celery in place of the crackers.For dinner i used turkey franks or italian sausage bratwurst in place of the hot dogs and didnt eat the ice crream. if i was hungry between meals i would eat the apple but usually i would get plenty to eat at dinner. i also have ibs so broccoli and cabbage hurt my stomach therefore i ate sourkraut . i have high blood pressure and my doc wants me to avoid salt, so i used ms dash seasonings on everything..with all these substitutions i still lost 3 lbs and wasnt hungry like the first time i did it and it helps on my 4 days off to not overeat and continue making wise foood choices
  • yayarose
    yayarose Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok, this duet may not make sense to you, but to recruiters helping people meet weight for the military physical exam, a test top enter the military. I did this diet back in 1995 to drop ten lbs. It worked for me and I joined the Army served 11yrs before I was medically discharged (retired) due to injuries in Iraq. Any how this diet works ..
  • torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Much of the time, I'm not eating more than 1100 calories a day (which according to the OP is about what the military diet is), and I'm doing it EVERY day, not 3 days a week. I can tell you, I'm sure not losing 10+ pounds per week. So I don't get it. I weighed 150 lbs at start and weigh 143 pounds now after 3 weeks. For the most part I'm eating a fairly balanced diet (at least according to MyFitnessPal's graph; 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein, and I TRY to swap the protein and fat). This "military diet" makes no sense to me.