A NEAT way to increase your metabolism.

Options
Rather than give you bogus information about meal frequency, or hot sauce, or a crash diet....

NEAT: Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. It's the stuff you do when you're not in the gym. It's the walking your dog, or the cleaning of the house, or the mowing of the grass. It's the energy expenditure that you create when you're just being active and doing things OTHER than laying around on your *kitten* (I said that just for Sara).

NEAT is something that, by end of day, can comprise a significant energy expenditure.

Ever hear people give those recommendations like:

"Park your car really far away so you have to walk further"
"Get up from your desk every 20 minutes"
"Move around with that book instead of sitting"
"*kitten*"

They're right.

So instead of thinking about whether or not you should buy those keytones, or whether or not you should load your breakfast with cinnamon and hotsauce, or whether or not you need to eat every 1.8 hours -- How about instead, you get up from your desk and move around?

Don't disregard this rather trivial advice. Increase your NEAT, increase your success.

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Completely agree, great post Side :)
    NEAT allows me to maintain on 3000 calories. Why deprive yourself when using the stairs instead the elevator allows you to pig out LIKE A BOSS ?
  • Ms2Cents
    Options
    THANK YOU! That was the most informative and inspirational bit of information/advice I have read on these boards since I joined MFP.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    My new guy is going to make me so skinny!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Inspired by this I'm going to walk to a toilet a long way from my desk and *kitten* right now. Double the NEAT burn.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Too much common sense in this post!

I took this advice six or seven months ago....and it works!!!
  • AstyPasty
    AstyPasty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great post - NEAT is what I use every day so that I can eat that little bit more. I now run up the stairs at work rather than plod up!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Yup, sounds about right... People look at me like I'm crazy when I park at the very back of the Wal-Mart parking lot or take the laundry up the stairs in more than one trip but hey, I'm a girl eating almost 2000 calories a day and losing weight... So what's the problem with that?
  • 41nb
    41nb Posts: 2
    Options
    one dilema tho! (ohhh and here comes the negative bird with too much time on her hands!!) I am disabled, I can't walk far, nor stand for long either... any ideas for the waist upwards???
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The little things add up. Thanks for the reminder.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    one dilema tho! (ohhh and here comes the negative bird with too much time on her hands!!) I am disabled, I can't walk far, nor stand for long either... any ideas for the waist upwards???

Entirely joking, but walk on your hands? :-P

Find something and constantly keep your hands moving some. Even if you only burn an extra 3 or 4 calories an hour this way you are burning more than you do without the movement!
  • CallMeMink
    Options
    Excellent post. People are always after a weight loss "secret" or a special workout.

We've had a great tool all along: just get up off the couch!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    MOST of my calorie burns are from NEAT.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

My best friend is in a non-motorized wheel chair; she has cerebral palsy. She goes for walks (that she calls her runs). There are also side bends from wherever you are seated. Truthfully, just the act of standing and sitting (for YOU) expends more energy than it does for someone who is not disabled. The basic point of my dear friend's post is to do something more than sit there with your hands on the keyboard exercising your fingers only. Good luck to you.
  • RubyWare
    RubyWare Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Such an intelligent and yet common sense post for such a pretty torso...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I have 2 young children (16 months and 3) and I run around like crazy with them, always up and down like a yo-yo, chasing them, going for walks, playing, pushing the swings etc. Plus we live in a 2nd floor flat with no lift, so that must burn a few calories.

I also work part time as a secondary school teacher, and it's very rare that I sit down while I teach.

I honestly don't know what i'd do with myself if stayed at home all day, on my own! Well, washing, ironing, hoovering probably!
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You couldn't be more right! Even my kids ask my husband why he parks so close when he drives. My son says, "well mommy parks at the end of the lot so we get more exercise in our day!"