A NEAT way to increase your metabolism.

Options

Replies

• SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Great advise...thanks for sharing!

As with most things in life, it is the little stuff that matters. This makes me feel good, because I'm one of those people who just can't sit still. As a mother, there is always laundry to do & stuff to pick up, so I always feel in motjon until I go to bed.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    So true (OP). My dad was one of those naturally thin people, but I think what it really was that he was so fidgety and couldn't sit still for very long. He was always up moving somewhere, with his hands dancing as he talked. He never gained weight (other than a slight pouch) and never once went to a gym and worked out. I believe it was simply he was active, and it ate up a lot of energy. That and he didn't pig out...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Nice post.

In addition, this shows why doing excessive amounts of exercise can be counter productive. If you are so knackered from your exercise routine that you lay on the couch all day then you reduce NEAT. This offsets, sometimes significantly, the inroads you made into creating a calorie deficit due to your planned exercise.

Life is about balance.
  • flpmomi
    flpmomi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!!!! I tell my friends all the time that every bit helps, even cleaning the house. I will walk around the building at work while I am on a smoke break. (smoking bad, yes I know, made a deal with myself that when I lost my 1st 30 lbs I would quit, only 7 more lbs to go!!!) Its the little things that people forget about! EVERYTHING counts guys!!!!! :happy:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yep - I'm increasing my NEAT.

At first it was an intentional way to increase my activity level. Now, as my lifestyle is changing, it's becoming more of a habit and a definite lifestyle change rather than a "diet tool".
  • makejesus
    makejesus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! steel I never thought of your idea before I am going to try it today and see how it go's
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    You know, we have all heard this before, yet still need reminders. I have started riding my bike to the gym instead of driving, it just kills 2 birds with one stone. I used to drive and park right by the door (because I leave my purse in the trunk and want to see the car). Great advice and I responded so all my friends would see and read your post.
  • kl3w
    kl3w Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    one dilema tho! (ohhh and here comes the negative bird with too much time on her hands!!) I am disabled, I can't walk far, nor stand for long either... any ideas for the waist upwards???

Someone said keep your hands busy and I totally agree! I knit while I watch TV to keep myself busy. My hands are constantly moving and I have to hold my arms up straight, and though it's not much it's also not nothing. It also helps to curb snack attacks from being bored (idle hands are the devil's play thing!). Any kind of crafting could be good to stay busy and somewhat active- check Pinterest and see what strikes your fancy!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I used to live in a third floor walk-up, but about 4 years ago I moved to an elevator building. That's three sets of stairs less to count as "non" exercise. So recently I have started getting off the elevator 3 flights below my floor to increase my movement.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    or whether or not you should load your breakfast with cinnamon and hotsauce
    You should load your breakfast with hotsauce though. Not for weight loss, just on principal.

I put that *kitten* on everything :drinker:
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    one dilema tho! (ohhh and here comes the negative bird with too much time on her hands!!) I am disabled, I can't walk far, nor stand for long either... any ideas for the waist upwards???

Years ago, when I was in a wheel chair for a short time, my physical therapist told me to sit in my chair and try to lift myself straight up using the chair arms. I still do this in my desk chair. Hope this helps =)
  • dstackable
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    LOVE this!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    great post!! Thank you, now to remember what it stands for.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm actually EXTREMELY surprised that this post still exists on these boards. Good info is hard to come by.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Yesterday I played soccer with my son instead of sitting down and watching him practice. It was fun, we bonded, and I burned some calories to boot!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing. I do have a question though, what is "*kitten*"?
  • sherisse69
    Options

Someone said keep your hands busy and I totally agree! I knit while I watch TV to keep myself busy. My hands are constantly moving and I have to hold my arms up straight, and though it's not much it's also not nothing. It also helps to curb snack attacks from being bored (idle hands are the devil's play thing!). Any kind of crafting could be good to stay busy and somewhat active- check Pinterest and see what strikes your fancy!

I recall Jillian Michaels (in one of her vids) say that do air punches - like hooks, jabs, etc while incorporating your trunk can help raise the heart rate, and act as a form of cardio. Heck, just put on some good music and fist pump away :):):)
  • sherisse69
    Options

I recall Jillian Michaels (in one of her vids) say that do air punches - like hooks, jabs, etc while incorporating your trunk can help raise the heart rate, and act as a form of cardio. Heck, just put on some good music and fist pump away :):):)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    or whether or not you should load your breakfast with cinnamon and hotsauce
    You should load your breakfast with hotsauce though. Not for weight loss, just on principal.

As long as that hot sauce is Sriracha!