A NEAT way to increase your metabolism.

Options

Replies

• sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Yep! One reason why at 5' I can eat like many of the women here that are 5'6" and up.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really like this post. I make sure I drink lots and lots of water in the office. As well as been good to keep me hydrated it makes me pee ALL the time lol. And I make sure I use the downstairs toilets so that I am up and down the stairs numerous times.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    :heart:

REading this while boncing on my exercise bal at work......do I look weird ? Absolutly. Do I care? not at all :)
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    or whether or not you should load your breakfast with cinnamon and hotsauce
    You should load your breakfast with hotsauce though. Not for weight loss, just on principal.
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    makes sense, after all, i do need to love myself as much as possible...
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Rather than give you bogus information about meal frequency, or hot sauce, or a crash diet....

NEAT: Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. It's the stuff you do when you're not in the gym. It's the walking your dog, or the cleaning of the house, or the mowing of the grass. It's the energy expenditure that you create when you're just being active and doing things OTHER than laying around on your *kitten* (I said that just for Sara).

NEAT is something that, by end of day, can comprise a significant energy expenditure.

Ever hear people give those recommendations like:

"Park your car really far away so you have to walk further"
    "Get up from your desk every 20 minutes"
    "Move around with that book instead of sitting"
    "*kitten*"

They're right.

So instead of thinking about whether or not you should buy those keytones, or whether or not you should load your breakfast with cinnamon and hotsauce, or whether or not you need to eat every 1.8 hours -- How about instead, you get up from your desk and move around?

Don't disregard this rather trivial advice. Increase your NEAT, increase your success.

I see you've read Levine's study. Ever read anything by Joe Friel?
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    My video game guru likes to tell me:

"Mom you don't need to bounce around so much and throw practices punches on the Wii playing Punch Out"

Little does he know - I do!! But it makes him crazy to have to share the Wii AND put up with me taking up the whole living room to play!!! Thats *MY* NEAT work out
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Wait? What? Moving around burns more calories than sitting on the couch eating crisps and watching the Kardashians?? Surely you jest? :P:huh:
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    AWESOME advice!!!

While it may seem trivial and/or common sense..... some people do like to find that spot as close to the door as possible or sit hours on end watching movies/playing games or something other than moving around. Sometimes a little reminder is good!! :happy:
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, I move around when I’m home a lot. It’s hard during the day when you are glued to a desk with someone watching your every move to make sure you don’t leave your desk for more than a minute to use the restroom. Exercise balls? Not sure what kind of places you all work in but in a very conservative insurance office those are a big no no.

At home, I run around and play with my pets. I move around cleaning, doing laundry etc. There was an article in a recent issue of my ferret owners magazine that actually gave ideas for workouts you could do with your pets. My ferrets did not enjoy being used as light free weights though, so that didn’t work out. Haha.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice, SideSteel, I completely agree. Accept for ONE thing, hot sauce is awesome on BACON!!:flowerforyou:
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This my friend is excellent advice!
  • jehuster
    Options
    BUMP
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Excellent reminder for us to use some common sense, Sidesteel. It all adds up!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    As always, the voice of reason. :heart:
  • trumpeter26
    trumpeter26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good post, love it. I wish more people knew!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    So simple yet so true!!! :happy: Thanks for sharing!!!
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    or whether or not you should load your breakfast with cinnamon and hotsauce
    You should load your breakfast with hotsauce though. Not for weight loss, just on principal.
    And deliciousness.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I love this, since it keeps us active in a very normal way, everyday! It's the way our bodies were designed to work.

But, don't let this substitue for vigorous exercise, especially if you are already small. That's how I packed on 40+lbs. I had young children, hardly ever sat down, and figured I could eat moderately and not worry about it. Guess what, as you age, that changes and the pounds flew on! (I probably was not being especially moderate in my eating, too!)

So now, I try to stay normally active, plus exercise regularly.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    i do alot of moving around just because i am ADD (like you said get up every twenty minutes...I DO) but the takeaway here is parking far away, and other non-exercise exerxcise. good post, i mean NEAT post!