Eat Healthy; Get Fit; Lose 100+ New Group 1st Weigh in Jan.

Options

Replies

• katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Nicole- i would agree. start with a menu. plan the week (when you have a plan you are less likely to make that bad choice on a whim). Personally, i always keep the ingredients for something extra and quick, so if you've planned a lovely meal for Wed., but wed. arrives and you don't have an hour and a half to prepare this marvelous meal...:noway: you do not want to give yourself an excuse to do the drive-in thing :angry: (remember fast food is the enemy). :happy: have a quick to prepare meal in mind and supplied, so you can substitute and not feel you've let yourself down.

make sure your grocery list includes snacks you can have.:wink: i keep a range of snacks from 100 to 10 calories. even if i haven't had a terrific day, if i've just got to have something, i can add a 10 calorie sugar free jello cup or a 15 calorie crystal light popsicle.:tongue: keeping a variety of snacks sweet & savory in a range of calories, allows me to keep making good choices.

and then dig deep, grit your teeth with determination and say "no".:noway: no one can make you order the double cheese burger instead of the salad with no dressing. no one can make you stop and buy french fries instead of going home and eating a string cheese or a yogurt. :bigsmile: Remember nothing will taste as good as thin will feel.

you can do this, you have done it. :happy: you just need to be determined. we are all in this together. none of us got here overnight, and we cannot fix it in just a few days. (if it were easy everyone would just do it and we wouldn't need this kind of site). There are no magic bullets, but you have the power to change your life. :flowerforyou: Come on Nicole, we believe in you- katie
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    fell off the wagon this weekend :( didn't log in for 2 days and went to a girls night last night which happened to be a pot luck, so disappointed in myself, but I realize now that 1 night of fun is not worth it I need to look at the bigger picture!!! Happy tomorrows Monday so I can get back into my routine!!
  • mimi7grands
    Options

2 weeks after starting to diet, i joined a gym and started water aerobics 3 times a week. (i have a bad knee and can work better in water) 2 weeks after that i got a trainer at the gym to get me started on the weight machines, i started at about 20 minutes and have added to about an hour. We all need some weight bearing exercise and i also felt i needed to be toning muscles that i was building. So, i have been doing that 3 alternate days that i'm not in the pool.

my first big goal was the early november visit to the doctor. i had lost 35 lbs and he was really impressed that i was doing so well. so he asked me to come back in february with hopes i would lose another 25 lbs by then (ha!). :wink: i'm there already the next month of dieting is bonus!
    something).

Wow. Awesome job. What a great approach and great attitude. Congrats.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    fell off the wagon this weekend :( didn't log in for 2 days and went to a girls night last night which happened to be a pot luck, so disappointed in myself, but I realize now that 1 night of fun is not worth it I need to look at the bigger picture!!! Happy tomorrows Monday so I can get back into my routine!!

Don't beat yourself up. It happens and you now realize your mistake. We still have to have fun. We just have to be prepared for it. Tomorrow is a new day. You can do it!!!
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I'd like to join you. I love seeing so many positive attitudes. Having a hundred pounds to lose can seem daunting. But this seems like a go-for-it group...and that's how I'm feeling too! My Friday weight was 247.6. I'll use that as my starting point when I figure weight lost next Friday. Thanks for this great group.
    - Mary
  • katielouhoo
    Options
    well another week in the records. :drinker: congratulations to everyone who showed losses; if you didn't, recommit yourself to a new week. :happy: next week's weigh-in will bring us to 8 wks/2 months as a group sharing this journey of lifestyle changes. we are making strides towards our goals.keep celebrating every good choice, every time you don't make the "same old choice" you used to make. it is a victory, and we are winning. we can do it, one good choice at a time. :flowerforyou: -katie

weight2-21.jpg
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting, it is great to see all the success on one chart. off to do the taxes i was suppose to to this weekend, it is 5 am and quiet in the house, i should be asleep but i can't. i hear the rain, it is going to be a long monday with the kids!
    Michelle
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    Weight stayed the same on Friday (255), I'll be happy because at least it wasn't a gain.
  • jenmonkee
    Options
    I was really frustrated because there was no weight loss, but I see I am not the only one. Remind me that sometimes the bodt just doesn't do what we want it to do!! Is there a challenge for this week? Thanks for the chart...it's really inspiring! Grear job out there!
  • katielouhoo
    Options
    leshawnturner- glad to hear from you. how are you doing? any better? you thought by weekend you might be able to start moving more, can you? it is very hard to have or sustain much loss when you cannot get your metabolism stimulated by exercise, so maintaining not gaining is good this week. i hope things get better for you soon. i know jeania is facing some of the same issues with her knee. keep on working, your bodies will get better and you are still getting new patterns and habits established that will pay off once you can start moving.:flowerforyou:

:happy: still trying to broaden my whole grain usage
    we were totally in a rut (like many folks) rice, potato, or pasta, (repeat) :ohwell:
    once in a while we'd get really crazy and have wild rice, couscous, or even polenta - whoa!!!! :laugh:

but in the interest of better health, in the nearly 6 mos i've been dieting, i also been trying to add other grains.
    so... i've made barley risotto (yum- taken to potluck & enjoyed)
    we've tried pearled couscous (also known as israeli couscous) (large 1/2 petite pea size, we like it)
    red bhutanese rice (short grain rice, interesting color, no different flavor than brown rice)
    quinoa (regular and red) (an interesting grain, very high in protein, i plan on taking it to a potluck this Wed.)

well, yesterday it was farro (i would compare it to brown rice, nutty & chewy) it was good :tongue:
    i really had no idea there were so many things, why did i always eat the same things all the time? :huh:

have a good monday everyone. the sun is out today :glasses: and the cold i thought i was getting last weekend turned out to be allergies/hayfever annoying, but not contagious. :bigsmile: can't wait for weigh-in. saturday is my 6 mos anniversary dieting.
    i'd love to be at 85 lbs lost, but need to reign in my expectations, i don't think i'll make that hurdle this week. :flowerforyou: -katie
  • katielouhoo
    Options
    jen- sorry, i was writing when your post went in. yes, our challenge this week is to try to stop eating after 8:30pm or 2 hours before bedtime.
    glad to hear from you. and yes, if you remain constant, you will be rewarded. -katie
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and encouragement! Back to work tomorrow and back to the gym... I do so much better when I have a routine! I need a better game plan for my days off.
  • ltlhmom
    Options
    Katie~ My house repeats the same side dishes to. It is funny how we tend to eat what we grew up on. But I too want to try different side dishes. Thanks for posting everything that you have tried so far. I will have to check them out. :bigsmile:

Congrats on you upcoming is 6 mos dieting anniversary date! I so hope you pull a 3 this week that work be totally awesome! I so can't wait to get to the 6 mos mark. :drinker:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Katie, you are an inspiration! I'm going for whole grains too and eating, as my daughter puts it, closer to the source, which translates to avoiding "edible foodlike substances" (as Michael Pollan, Food Rules and a bunch of other books., puts it so well). I don't stick to eating this way 100% but I'm trying. Loading up on veggies, etc., is making losing weight a lot easier - and a lot tastier and less sacrificial feeling.

Speaking of whole grains, have you tried whole wheat tortillas? If you like strong flavors, this is a winner: 1 Tia Rosa whole wheat tortilla, grilled in a dry pan with filling of 1 oz sheep's milk feta (milder than cow's milk feta), 1 sliced Campari tomato, 1 oz Costco's honey-smoked salmon (the best!), and some chopped fresh baby spinach. Let the cheese melt and the tortilla get slightly brown on the bottom then fold it in half. Yum! Much much better than Starbuck's spinach feta wrap, fewer calories, and cheaper!

I'm going to join you in the no eating after 8:30 pm challenge. Will try to catch up by doing the 30 minutes per day of exercise and 64 oz of water too. I've been aiming for these anyway and knowing so many of you have succeeded will help me stay focused. I love that so many of you are slogging away, successfully, at 100+ pounds. It's nice to have company that is taking a positive approach.

- Mary
  • katielouhoo
    Options
    Mary- how do you find tia rosa compares in calories? i was using flat out wraps, but have recently switched to la tortilla factory. their whole wheat, low carb, high fiber, large tortilla is only 80 calories.

had one for breakfast this morning with one egg beater egg, salsa & shredded lettuce. :tongue: under 150 calories. i haven't tried sheep's milk feta, but i do like feta, i'll have to look for it.

yummy new simple chicken, broccoli & pasta meal tonight. :happy: my husband liked it too. this has been soooooo much easier since he decided to be :love: supportive and on board with healthier eating. :ohwell: that doesn't mean he won't snack more, have larger portions or second helpings; but that is absolutely okay. after all, he didn't sign up for this, i'm the one with a goal (he's just getting swept off with the tide.:laugh: )

have a great evening and a good tuesday everyone- katie
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    I just wanted to pop on here for a moment to share with you guys that I just did my first day of P90x and it was hard as HECK!!!!! I really didn't want to do because I was tired all day from my medicine that I have to take but I did it anyway. I don't feel great (I haven't gotten to the point where working out kicks up those "feel great" endorphins), but I do feel proud that I did it. I couldn't do it full out (I had to modify a lot of the moves) but I did the whole workout!!! Just wanted to share!! :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • ltlhmom
    Options
    I just wanted to pop on here for a moment to share with you guys that I just did my first day of P90x and it was hard as HECK!!!!! I really didn't want to do because I was tired all day from my medicine that I have to take but I did it anyway. I don't feel great (I haven't gotten to the point where working out kicks up those "feel great" endorphins), but I do feel proud that I did it. I couldn't do it full out (I had to modify a lot of the moves) but I did the whole workout!!! Just wanted to share!! :bigsmile: :blushing:

Awesome job at kicking it up a notch. :happy:
  • jgrandison
    jgrandison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, you guys are awesome, this support system is really encouraging. I am feeling really bummed out I went to get my test results today for my knee and I have to have surgery on thursday. I have been really lack with trying to do at least upper body, because i have been in la la land, but I do know that some exercise is better than none, so I am going to try to committ myself to give it all I got with some form of movement, and hopefully that will help in my journey. no eating after 8:30 is a great idea, because now that I dont have to work i am up at weird hours of the night glaring in the refrigerator. I hope you guys have a wonderful week. katie and ltlhmom your words of encourgement are on point thank you.
    Jeania
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Mary- how do you find tia rosa compares in calories? i was using flat out wraps, but have recently switched to la tortilla factory. their whole wheat, low carb, high fiber, large tortilla is only 80 calories.

Tia Rosa comes in at 110 calories. I don't mind that it has a little more because I like the flavor. i didn't like the flavor of the La Tortilla Factory tortillas. I think it's the soy protein. My sister was just telling me about the wraps she gets from Trader Joe's. They're 100% whole wheat without all the preservatives that are added to La Tortilla and Tia Rosa. They're big and square. Jane eats just 1/2, which is as big as the La Tortilla Factory tortillas (but square) and comes in at 110 calories. I'm going to try those soon.

Funny (weird) anecdote: my friend's friend is an undertaker. He told her they don't need to use as many preservatives for embalming now as they used to because the bodies are already so full of preservatives. Sort of like Twinkies, I guess! Puts me off the idea of loading up on preservatives in my food for sure.

I finished my 30 minutes on the exercise bike tonight - that's 2 nights in a row and a first for me. I drank more than 8 glasses of water. And I'm done eating for the night. Hooray! Thanks to the group for giving me these goals.

Jeania, hang in there. It's getting through hard times like these that lets you know you can do it for the long term. Good luck with the surgery and staying as active as you can.

-Mary
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Katie you are inspiring,, I hope you do get the 3 pounds 85 pounds in 6 months is awesome!!! makes me feel i can do it too! finally got taxes filed this evening!! got to love e-file, where do you get the la tortilla wraps? i haven't seen them, all i seem to find at my publix is mission and theya re closer to 120 in calories.
    everyone keep up the great work, we are goign to get there!!!
    michelle