Christian Grey....

Options

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    :laugh: threads like these remind me why I've never wasted my money on it.

Does anybody have better books that they would suggest?

Along the same genre or in general?

Either one. I just finished the last of the books I've recently bought and I'm completely open to new suggestions. I've never read anything even close to 'erotica' though (closest is Triangles by Ellen Hopkins - far from erotica or anything similar) so I wouldn't even know where to start in that genre.

Well, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Candace Bushnell is a fantastic writer (Sex and the City). I've read Sex and the City (which is very different from the show), Four Blondes and I just finished One Fifth Avenue. I couldn't get into Lipstick Jungle, though. I also just read all three of the Bridget Jones books -- LOVED them. If you haven't read Harry Potter, you are missing out majorly. I have JK's latest on pre-order from Amazon, due out next week so I can let you know!

If you look me up on Goodreads.com (rml_16), I have a whole list of books and what I thought of them.

Oh, also Les Miserables, while incredibly depressing, is one of the best books I ever read.

Wait, she has a new book coming out?! What is it and what's it about? I just finished the Hunger Games (which by the way even though it's a "teen" novel has a GREAT story line and keeps you on the edge of your seat) and I need a new book to get lost in! I love JKR!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Either one. I just finished the last of the books I've recently bought and I'm completely open to new suggestions. I've never read anything even close to 'erotica' though (closest is Triangles by Ellen Hopkins - far from erotica or anything similar) so I wouldn't even know where to start in that genre.

Well, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Candace Bushnell is a fantastic writer (Sex and the City). I've read Sex and the City (which is very different from the show), Four Blondes and I just finished One Fifth Avenue. I couldn't get into Lipstick Jungle, though. I also just read all three of the Bridget Jones books -- LOVED them. If you haven't read Harry Potter, you are missing out majorly. I have JK's latest on pre-order from Amazon, due out next week so I can let you know!

If you look me up on Goodreads.com (rml_16), I have a whole list of books and what I thought of them.

Oh, also Les Miserables, while incredibly depressing, is one of the best books I ever read.

I haven't read Harry Potter or even seen beyond the first movie.. maybe I'll have to reconsider. Thank you, though! That's extremely helpful :flowerforyou:

I second Harry Potter (VERY British series. The books are so much better then the movies. In fact I'd say the movies are a waste of time *ducks incoming Potter backlash) and would like to add Hunger Games to the mix. It's a romance/action aimed at Young Adults but it's fantastic. A real page turner and a well written commentary on war and humanity's darker side.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I haven't read Harry Potter or even seen beyond the first movie.. maybe I'll have to reconsider. Thank you, though! That's extremely helpful :flowerforyou:

The first two books (and movies) are very much geared towards 11-year-olds, so you kind of have to get past that. But they're still well-written and important to the overall story. The third picks up a bit and from 4-7, they're awesome. Very dark, but SO GOOD. And she throws in a but of that British humor, as well. :-)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I second Harry Potter (VERY British series. The books are so much better then the movies. In fact I'd say the movies are a waste of time *ducks incoming Potter backlash) and would like to add Hunger Games to the mix. It's a romance/action aimed at Young Adults but it's fantastic. A real page turner and a well written commentary on war and humanity's darker side.

I second Harry Potter series. Wonderful books.

I enjoyed the first two Hunger Games books, but the third was a bit of a disappointment for me. They are worth a read though.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Wait, she has a new book coming out?! What is it and what's it about? I just finished the Hunger Games (which by the way even though it's a "teen" novel has a GREAT story line and keeps you on the edge of your seat) and I need a new book to get lost in! I love JKR!

It's an adult novel. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Casual-Vacancy-J-K-Rowling/dp/0316228532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347908938&sr=8-1&keywords=a+casual+vacancy
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    ... he's not real.

You lie. YOU LIE!

1335402976639_6762089.png

Love it
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'd also like to highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend The Book Thief. It's also juvenile fiction, but oh so amazing.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    ... he's not real.

You lie. YOU LIE!
    hahaha
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Is a poorly developed character and not sexy.

I read half a chapter and gave the book away.

It doesn't even resemble quality writing and it sorta pisses me off that this woman is now rolling around in money.
  • DoomCakes
    Options

I'm just going to say (Harry Potter fanatic) I LOVE both. Movie AND book. Both are good in their own respective. I can read a book, then watch the movie. I will enjoy the book as a book, and the movie as a movie. The book was amazing, very well written, fascinating and creative. You could visualize everything. The movie was the same. It wasn't how I envisioned it in the book, they left some parts out BUT as a movie, it is great. If I never read the books, I'd be in love with the movies as they were mesmerizing and almost real to the point you felt like you could get an owl saying you were accepted to hogwarts. (not realistic! But the movies were well done)

The Hunger Games is another one. Just from the first book they changed A LOT of things (time effective and budget) but again, great in their own ways.

I would recommend the hunger games to ANYONE to read for the reasons you stated :D It's got romance (not enough to be sick and it's healthy, not some stupid twilight romance), drama, action, gore, and a realistic envisionment of humanity and how they act in situations. A kill or be killed, outside thinkers, etc. Best thing, the novel doesn't get crappy as it goes on. It actually gets really interesting in the second book, and the third book is interesting as well. Beginning is slower, but that's due to situations. It does seem semi rushed, but again, probably a time cost reason as well as you could go into many many pages of detail on everything.
  • rml_16
    Options
    It doesn't even resemble quality writing and it sorta pisses me off that this woman is now rolling around in money.

I say more power to her. It the publisher I'm pissed at. If someone wants to publish the worst thing I ever wrote and it makes me money, I'll take it. But they should know better!

And as far as HP books vs. movies, the books fill in a lot of information and I would say that of course they're better, but the movies are still very good.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Read a harlequin romance. You won't lose as many brain cells.

romance-cover-2.jpg
  • Ginnyesq
    Options
    I'll just drop this nugget of awesome here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book.

Me too.

especially this

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r512/shutterbird13/Dramatic/2qR6c.gif
  • DoomCakes
    Options

It's an adult novel. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Casual-Vacancy-J-K-Rowling/dp/0316228532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347908938&sr=8-1&keywords=a+casual+vacancy

Thank you, sounds like a really good read.

Almost reminds me of the book "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" for some reason, but not exactly. (another good read in my opinion)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1AA.jpg
    1A.jpg
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I say more power to her. It the publisher I'm pissed at. If someone wants to publish the worst thing I ever wrote and it makes me money, I'll take it. But they should know better!

That's why I said "sorta" LOL
  • penrbrown
    Options

I'm just going to say (Harry Potter fanatic) I LOVE both. Movie AND book. Both are good in their own respective. I can read a book, then watch the movie. I will enjoy the book as a book, and the movie as a movie. The book was amazing, very well written, fascinating and creative. You could visualize everything. The movie was the same. It wasn't how I envisioned it in the book, they left some parts out BUT as a movie, it is great. If I never read the books, I'd be in love with the movies as they were mesmerizing and almost real to the point you felt like you could get an owl saying you were accepted to hogwarts. (not realistic! But the movies were well done)

The Hunger Games is another one. Just from the first book they changed A LOT of things (time effective and budget) but again, great in their own ways.

I would recommend the hunger games to ANYONE to read for the reasons you stated :D It's got romance (not enough to be sick and it's healthy, not some stupid twilight romance), drama, action, gore, and a realistic envisionment of humanity and how they act in situations. A kill or be killed, outside thinkers, etc. Best thing, the novel doesn't get crappy as it goes on. It actually gets really interesting in the second book, and the third book is interesting as well. Beginning is slower, but that's due to situations. It does seem semi rushed, but again, probably a time cost reason as well as you could go into many many pages of detail on everything.

Okay, okay, I know we're off topic but I think the movies were poorly done. I attended with people who had never read the books and they were SO CONFUSED by the movies. So I can say with confidence that if you hadn't read the books you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the movies as much. :)
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I heard it's content would be good if it wasn't written so poorly.
  • rml_16
    Options

Okay, okay, I know we're off topic but I think the movies were poorly done. I attended with people who had never read the books and they were SO CONFUSED by the movies. So I can say with confidence that if you hadn't read the books you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the movies as much. :)

I watched all eight movies before reading a word of the books and loved them. My boyfriend refuses to read the books at all and loves the movies. My best friend read the first book and none of the rest and loves the movies.

My impression was, after reading the books, that there is so much you don't know you don't know about the movies that it ends up working out that it doesn't matter. Reading the books made watching the movies more enjoyable for me, but I loved the movies even before I read the books.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I watched all eight movies before reading a word of the books and loved them. My boyfriend refuses to read the books at all and loves the movies. My best friend read the first book and none of the rest and loves the movies.

My impression was, after reading the books, that there is so much you don't know you don't know about the movies that it ends up working out that it doesn't matter. Reading the books made watching the movies more enjoyable for me, but I loved the movies even before I read the books.

Wow. I'm really surprised by that. Most people I know who enjoyed the movies have read the books and the ones I know who didn't read the books didn't like the movies (especially the later movies. The first few were okay).