Seniors Golden Sneakers Club January 2010

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
Well here it is another new year or will be in just a short while. I,m doing this early so I want forget. See you in 2010.
Its been a good year..for me. So wonderful sharing our times together with one and another.
Want to welcome all of our new friends.
Here is our birthday list. Need to update it to get our new members.. Need help in updating

Beth Feb 24, 1971
Doodlesll---March 12, 1940
Sandy---March 10, 1942
Barbiecat ---March 25, 1946
Birdie---March 30, 1948
Barbs----April 6, 1954
Elli---May 16, 1952
Phoebe---July 26
Jeffrey---Sept. 25, 1953
Jake---Oct., 10, 1945
Marie---Nov. 7, 1930
Gayla---Nov. 20, 1949
Ellen Aug 29
Nancy
Mary Ann
Sandi

Replies

• getnhealthy101
    Options
    Just popping in to say hi! What's the Seniors Golden Sneakers Club all about?
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi GetnHealthy101...:flowerforyou:

This thread is similar to 50+ Women's thread that you have previously posted on. A new thread starts at the beginning of each month. The Golden Sneakers was started by Marie/AKA CALIECAT. It is a group of women and men, generally 50+ who support one another. Sometimes we focus on exercise or fitness related topics, but we mostly just visit and support one another. A few of us, BirdieM, Barbiecat, and me post regularly on this thread and the 50+ Women. A lot of people read the posts regularly, but don't post as often as others do.

Take whatever benefit you can from this and other threads, and know you are always welcome to jump in anytime. If you join us regularly, Marie will add you to the birthday list that is showing as the first post for this new month. You do NOT have to give your year of birth if you don't wish to, and of course any info is purely optional. We all know our first names, so if you decide to hang out with us, you can share yours when you are ready to!!!

Happy New Year!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year All... I am off to my New Years Day Race in about an hour and figured I would stop by and check in with you. I wish you all the best for the year to come.
    Beth
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome GetnHealthy101, Wwe are really a fun bunch at times. Serious about our exercise and fitness. And our way of eating. And we love our Furry friends.
    Barbs said it pretty well. She is the one that keeps Our funny bones working overtime.
    Each and everyone of them is so special. Love them all.We have grown to love their families as if they were ours.

Happy New Year everyone. I am hoping this year to reach my goal but more important is eating healty and getting the exercise in. Keep Moving, drink that water ,enjoy life

Once again Welcome.

Happy New Year:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,123 Member
    Options
    HAPPY 2010!!! May the best of this year be the worst of next.

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's Eve. We went to my step sons and watched the count down clock for Rio on the computer which made it midnight at 8:00pm our time. My little granddaughter was so excited to blow horns and throw confetti.:laugh: We were home by 9:00pm and I got involved in the season one series of Dexter from Netflex. ; weird and bloody show but I like it. could be that I am weird also. :laugh:

Welcome getnhealhty101, we are happy to have you join us. We are a nice bunch of people trying to lose weight. :bigsmile: We have a lot of seniors, some who are not and some who want to be. :laugh: Our life line is Marie, who keeps her self healthy, always happy and is our Queen of the site. We have some big losers, Jeffrey, Barbie and Barb who together have probably lost three people. :laugh: We have some struggling trying to lose weight, we have some like me who lost most of the weight to meet my goal and just can't seem to get rid of the last few pounds and we have some who just need to be able to talk about their weight, their families and good and bad times. No matter what you are looking for, I think we fit the bill. A lot of us are animal lovers so we do spend a lot of time talking about our critters. Stay with us for a while read our posts and see if we fit into what you are looking for. :heart:

Beth, good luck on that race today, I know you will finish and we couldn't be more proud of you. :heart:

Happy New Year to all of you!! You were the highlight of my 2009 and for that I thank you.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Sanyd
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    we all made it to 2010.. thanks to each other, mfp, and our commitment to ourselves.

hope you all had a good last night of 09

heading to wal mart to pick up my site to store purchases to try to repair my computer.

wish me luck on that, the repair that is. If it doesn't work, I will just use my laptop and retire the desktop. Too much money in purchasing another pc.

well, in the south, it's blackeyed peas, greens, etc today. we are having those with squash dressing, mac and cheese and cornbread. a weighty meal, but a healthy one, mostly.
    We have a BJ's wholesale club here. It is closer than the nearest Sam's or Costco. I like it because they accept coupons too. Anyway, I got the large tray of stouffer's mac n cheese, thawed it, then divided it into muffin cups. I think this is about a half cup serving, maybe a bit more. Then after refreezing them, I put them into vacuum sealed bags. So, I don't go overboard on a favorite food.
    Before I work on the pc, I have to do a big backup, so here goes.. hope to be communicating with you again on this pc sometime this weekend.
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone!

It's a Triathalon goal for me this year! I wish all of you the very best for 2010!

Jeffrey
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy New Year and Good Morning to all :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Getnhealthy, you have found a great group to share your weight loss journey. We have become like family and welcome you to join us. We share our successes and struggles and great ideas for living healthy. I hope we'll hear more from you

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, I wish you success with your computer crisis......we had to buy a new computer in 2009 and it was a staggering expense. Your New Year's Day meal sounds delicious.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, we had an early celebration last night, too, and were in bed early. We slept late so we're starting the new year with a lot of energy.

:flowerforyou: Beth, good luck in your race (you've probably already run it since it's later where you are). I know you'll do great.

:flowerforyou: Marie, thank you for getting the new thread started and telling us the link to find it. One of my goals for January is to stay connected to MFP.......as I get closer to my goal, I want to stay connected to the people who helped me get here.

:flowerforyou: Barb, your wisdom, enthusiasm, and dog stories are often the highlight of my day.

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I hope this is a year of better health for Neil. He has had a tough road and it's time for some smooth sailing for him....best wishes for you on your weight loss journey in 2010.

Love and hugs to all :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • viliberty
    Options
    I would love to be a member of this thread. I just started a couple of days ago and am really enjoying the posts. Silver Sneakers sounds just right for me. And I have a dog (LOL). Irene
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a member of this thread. I just started a couple of days ago and am really enjoying the posts. Silver Sneakers sounds just right for me. And I have a dog (LOL). Irene

Irene, you have come to the right place.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Welcome to the Senior Golden Sneakers. We are like a family and share our successes and our troubles with each other. We are so glad to have you with us. My dogs are standard poodles. they like to sleep in bed and on the couch and chase the cats. I take them to the off leash dog park every day and while they play, I take a brisk walk and get some good exercise.

:flowerforyou: Most of us post nearly every day so we feel connected and get to know each other better. One of my goals for January is to stay connected (and to post my food and exercise)
    Barbie:bigsmile:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Welcome Irene, I think you will have fun with us, we are a happy group most of the time and when we feel low we get support from each other. :heart:

I have an Old English Sheepdog puppy who is soon to be 9 months old and weighs over 50 pounds. She is wild thing and sometimes is too much for me and my husband. I can't wait for summer so she can run around and burn up energy. Unlike Barbie I don't go to the dog park when it is this cold (Chicago weather) because I am a baby. :laugh:

We again are going to my step sons today for an day of relaxation and to let Daisy play with their Samoyed.

Have a good weekend, willl check in later.

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    What a good day it is. Most everybody has reported in.That alway make me happy.
    Glad to hear from Beth and let us know how your race turn out. I'll be rootin' for you:heart::heart:

Phoebe it is always a pleasure hearing from you. Thanks for the cards for Christmas and New Year. How the cats? hope you get your pc working.How does it feel to be home for a change.:heart::heart:

Irene, So glad to see you found your way here. Tell us about your dog.:heart::heart:

Barbiecat, Don't you even think about leaving us once you reach your goal you have set, We need you here. You and Jake both.You two have help make this board a success for us all.:heart::heart:

Barbs, Jerry and I had a rootin' tootn' time last night I think we both fell asleep in our charirs. Did go to bed befor The New Year. :heart: :heart:

Gayla, Did that boy of yours celebrate last night? I bet he enjoy it. Let see he goes into the hospital soon for some test. Don't he. My prayers will be with him. :heart: :heart:

Sandy, Did Daisy celebrate lasst night.? Sammy did not like the fireworks.:heart::heart:

Elli. Did you have a nice party in your nearly remodel house?:heart::heart:

Nancy, been missing you., I know it most have been a sad time for you and your mother, My prayers are with you.:heart::heart:

Sandi, Hey girl where you get off to. Hoping to hear from you soon.:heart::heart:

Mary ann. Hope you are able to find us. I will send you and pm with is new link on it:heart::heart:

Jefrey last but not forgotten. Who would ever forget such a nice guy as you. How Long will the girls be there. And how in the world is Joe. :heart: :heart:

I close with joy in my heart.:heart::heart: Marie
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to you all. We watched the new year come in last nightwith thoughts of the year past and hopes for the year ahead. Today is a quiet day for us. Our kids are coming out tomorrow to celebrate the new year with us. I picked up a beautiful crown roast of pork (that other white meat) and have some nice veg. to go with it. I am stuffing the roast but don't plan to make gravy. I may get talked into it but so far it is not on my menu.
    Last night we watched a terrific game of hockey between the US and Canada in the World Junior Hockey Series. Canada won in a shoot-out, not the best way to win a hockey game but sure exciting. The game was being played here and I was sorry that we hadn't picked up tickets for it. It was a barn burner for the whole game.
    Neil went to the local bar last night as a friend of our kids was playing in the band there. He plays drums and Neil does like to watch and listen to them. He had a really good time but was home before midnight.

Beth -- I am so proud of you, I know you will do great in your run.

Sandy -- Have fun today. I am glad Babe feels well enough to go out.

Barbie -- Thank you for your thoughts for Neil. He is going in to hospital on Sunday for tests but he is happy!

Marie -- Did you ring in the new year?

Phoebe -- Computers are so wonderful when they work!! I expect you will be back on the road soon.

To the new people -- So glad you dropped in, would love to have you stay. Best of luck on your journey.

To everyone else, I hope you are busy having a terrific New Years Day!

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :smile: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Irene/ viliberty--WELCOME!! I looked at your profile, and not only are you from the same state and Barbiecat and I (Washington), you live in the city I was born in!! I am now in Vancouver, and Barbiecat is on the Olympic Peninsula. What kind of doggie do you have?

I have THREE--thanks to my recent acquisition, a Yorkshire Terror---err I mean "Terrier":laugh: :laugh: His name is Bradley. I also have a Lhasa Apso, named Mai Li, (which, I am told, means "beautiful thing" in Chinese, but I am reasonably certain it means "pesky thing" in English:laugh: :laugh: ) I also have a back and white Shih tzu named "Pepper." Bradley, with his propensity for snooping and creatively accessing food that doesn't belong to him or treats that were hidden away, has inspired my nickname for the three of them collectively--"the three little pigs." Others on the thread recall the inspiration for this name came from his activities on Thanksgiving. I left the "children" home while I had dinner elsewhere, and upon my return, I discovered that Bradley had figured out how to open a cupboard, took out a bag of three doggie chewbones, chewed open the bag and passed one out to each of his two buddies!!:noway: :happy: They certainly seemed thankful to me!!!!
    Here it is the first day of the New Year, and I have already had to resist temptation. This morning I walked through the bakery section of the grocery store on my way to another area, and I could smell the pre-made garlic bread calling my name. :noway: :grumble: I no sooner passed THAT temptation and a box of Little Debbie Pecan Rolls began to sing a siren song.:noway: I had to pick up the bunch of asparagus in my cart and beat Little Debbie to make her jump back on the shelf to tempt some other unwary shopper!!! I barely escaped with my caloric allowance intact!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Last night was very quiet. I had one glass of Champagne, went to bed before midnight, and thanks to a tv with a sleeptimer, the last thing I recall hearing, besides doggies snores:bigsmile: was hootin' n' hollerin' on the tv and "Happy New Year!!"

Presently, I am watching the Rose Bowl, and so far the ducks seem to have had their wings clipped by Ohio State. Let us hope things improve. Right now they are only down by a touchdown, and the ducks stopped them from another on the last 3 plays. OOPS! they didn't stop them from scoring a field goal!! Phooey!!!:grumble:

Hope everyone has a happy day and a long relaxing weekend.:flowerforyou: Happy New Year!!!:drinker: :drinker:

EDIT: Beth --Good Luck with your race!!! Pheoebe-- I hope your computer repair is successful.!!!

Barb
  • Sandydur
    Options
    i forgot to tell Barb how funny I thought your three little pigs going wii wii wii all the way home was, you sure have a great sense of humor. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Sandy (dur)--

Thank you for your kind words about my joke. I forgot to tell you I got a chuckle out of your post this morning when you took great pains to tell us what a quiet evening you had, and then spelled your name at the end... "Sanyd":bigsmile:

I was just sitting here thinking about the Wii Fit, because of a post I read where someone was talking about it, and it occurred to me, I need to quickly make up a diet book to sell to all the people ( not on MFP, of course:wink: ) who jumped on the over eating bandwagon for the holidays and now are trying to buy all kinds of easy solutions to their problems.

It would go along with the Wii Fit---and it would be called (what else?) " We Fat":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyone want to help me write it? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

As anyone who watched the Rose Bowl knows, the Ducks got "plucked" by Ohio State. :sad: :cry: Oh well, there is always next year.....:flowerforyou:

I am posting this from my parents' place as I came over tonight and made them dinner. My mom is still having trouble with pains in her leg since her fall two weeks ago. She can hardly put weight on it, and has to use a walker even inside her home.

I have taken her to the doctor twice. Her own doctor appears to be a twit, so tomorrow I am taking her to the urgent care clinic available through her HMO and see if we can find someone who will do something other than tell her she is going to hurt for 6 weeks and to take tylenol!!:explode:

Later,

Barb
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Lol Barbie, I never said I could type and I blame all mistakes on hubby, I am exhausted from taking care of everything since he can't do anything with his arm.:laugh: I will admit to having some glog on New Year's Eve, but not too much. :tongue:

Wii Fit We Fat.....I like it, start writing. :glasses:

Gayla, nice hearing from you and thanks for posting on Face Book. The two people teasing me were my daughter and my ex husband, he has a lot of nerve doesn't he??? :laugh: We have managed to stay friends, I just can't live with him. :noway:
    Sounds like Neil had good time, I hope all goes well in the hospital. Are he seizures the same or under control?

Beth, Beth, are you still running? How did you do? Enquiring MInds want to know!!!

We are all starting the New Year together, time to buckle up and take the bull by the horns. Let's at the very least commit to 30 minutes a day of exercise, at least 8 glasses of water daily and to keep track of our calories. (the more you exercise the more calories you get). I am determined to lose the pounds to get to my goal, how about you???

Happy Saturday!!

Sandy
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

It is calming down here! Amanda and Adam just left about 2 hours ago for So. Carolina then Atlanta. I miss them already. It is COLD here! Man I hate winter! The house is pretty clean so I think Day and I will go to town and goof off today. I have a martial arts workout later but it is only an hour so I will have to add something. I have done pretty well on my weight through the holiday. I stayed even, no gain no loss. Last year that was not the issue. I hate losing the same pounds multiple times! LOL It sounds like everyone has really done very well. I read an article the other day that the typical weight gain from Thanksgiving to New Years is 7 to 11 pounds. I can see how that would happen! Think about it though, an 11 pound gain would be a 38,500 surplus caloric intake!!! That is not an extra cookie, that is an extra bakery!

Everyone take care it is great to see the new folks here! It makes me happy! I will read all the post later. Take care cyber family!

Jeffrey

BTW Joe the Cat is fine. He has really grown and is a very happy cat. He is the most laid back cat I have ever seen. He has taken to hanging out with me when I work out. He really likes the yoga mats, but he is not really into the workout part!
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    One last thing!

If any of you do "twitter" , I am on as Jeffrey1598. Follow me if you wish!

Jeffrey
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! It's a new year and a new me thanks to this website, the grace of God and some determination! Welcome to another berty!!!:laugh: :laugh:
    Thank you all for your support, advice and encouragement in 2009! I couldn't have done it without you!:smooched:
    I have a little bit of a sinus infection...or something...so not quite up to doing exercise for the last 2 days.:ohwell: I went over my calories yesterday but it was on sensible food....not sweets etc.and drank tons of water. Also my couputer was down again :noway: ! My hubby worked on it for the last 2 days to get rid of a virus, :noway: so couldn't log on :grumble: So I'm tired but wanted to hop on to greet the New Year with my new friends!:flowerforyou:

Today is the beginning of the rest of our lives....lets make it good!!!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:heart: