Seniors Golden Sneakers Club January 2010

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    deedee, not exactly sure what you are asking but under community there is a list that takes you to what you are looking for. Either your recent posts or my topics etc. Under my topics it gives the last post just click on view. Does that help? Do you have java installed on your desktop? You might have to clear your history and re enter myfitnesspal.com to reconnect. Let me know if any of this works.
    Sandy, thanks for trying ot help me. RE: "getting to the last place I posted". Yes, I know about the view button, but that takes me to the last post on the thread no matter who did the posting. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to go to the last post that I did on the thread? RE: "signing in". I do not know if I have Java on my desktop, I will check tomorrow. Today I tried to log in again on my desktop but no luck. I tried to inactivate different filters, etc, but nothing worked. :(

So, today TWICE I saw information about how if you do not eat enough your body goes into a "starvation mode" and so you lose weight slower, and how important it is to eat breakfast so that your metabolism gets kickstarted in the morning. So, I ate some breakfast (yuck) and then took my dog for a brisk walk. I've lost weight this week, which often happens for me the first week of dieting (a handy tool for losing a couple of pounds). But I don't want to hit a major slowdown in the loss rate, so I'm going to try the breakfast habit this coming week.

Hey, today I noticed some errors in the "members" contributions to the food listings. The calorie count and other info is inaccurate for one of the items (specifically the Burger King Tendergrill chicken sandwich w/out mayo). Is there a way to let other's know that the info is wrong, so people choose a correct listing instead of an incorrect one?

I guess I should close my doors now, it is almost midnight, the breeze is getting too cool for me since I'm sitting here barefoot and with wet hair from a shower. Once it drops down to the low 70's, well, it is just too cold for me. hehehehe. [sorry to pick on you snowmen, I couldn't resist] :)

I am enjoying reading everyone's postings. You all keep up the good work towards SUCCESS! Aloha, DeeDee 042.gif

DeeDee I don't know for sure if this is what you want

But go to your avatar and click on the numbers [Thats is have many post you have done] and all of your posting will show up The numbers are located right below your avatar. Even if this is not what you are looking for it is an interesting feature.
    Marie

DeeDee,:flowerforyou:

What Marie has suggested is probably the best solution. When you access your posts that way, you can see the date and time of your post. If you click on the post title and it will take you to that post, but it will start at the BEGINNING. Since you will know the date and time of your post, it shouldn't take long for you to scroll to the point where your post is. This isn't a perfect solution, but it is what is available. Mike and Albert are always coming up with improvements. There is a thread for Feedback and Suggestions. If you haven't already done so, post your suggestion there and Mike or Albert may very well respond to it.

Also, errors you found in the food database are known to longtime users of the site. You can correct errors by clicking on the nutrition information link in the blue window that comes up on the right side of the page when you choose an entry from the database listing. The window that comes up will allow you to confirm or say "no" to the question of whether the info is accurate. If you say no, you will have an opportunity to enter corrections in the record for that food.

I read about your "COLD" 70 degree temperatures, and thought about my cold tootsies, due to coming in recently from the rain outside with wet shoes.:grumble: I think your time will come. My parents once visited Hawaii in July, at the end of one of the Transpacific Yacht Races held in the 70's. I remember my mom describing the heat and humidity, so next July when it is in the mid-70's here, I will think of you in the humidity :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

(In case you haven't read enough of my posts to realize it, that was supposed to be funny. The last thing I want to do is get into an argument over who has better weather. Hawaii is a beautiful state, and as soon as I can find a way to go back there without flying, I will be ready to make the trip!!)

I talked to Barbiecat today, as she mentioned, and since I walked in the door of my home for lunch while we were on the phone, she got to hear the "welcoming committee" barking a greeting. They were NOT pleased when my trip home didn't include a walk. I didn't want to go out and get rained on and then have to go back to work. They have a perfectly good backyard, accessible by doggie door, but they, of course, would rather walk with momma.:laugh: :laugh:

I have to get to bed or I will be sleeping during our dinner tomorrow night. I have to get up and be at work by 6am tomorrow.:yawn:

Barb
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi Barb, thanks for the tips. I appreciate this site so much and do not want in any way to complain. I'm just trying to learn my way around the place. And yes, I knew you were joking about the weather stuff.
    I have some additional info on the Mayo Clinci diet (I"ve blogged about it), and when I have time I'll update the info into a new posting. Hopefully tomorrow. I'm too tuckered to think that much tonight.
    Hey it is my "one week anniversary" today. I've lost 5 pounds. Sooooo, congrats to me, from me!!
    Everyone have a wonderful weekend. I usually do good on a diet during the weekend, as I get all motivated from my Friday weigh-in and so watch what I eat especially carefully on weekends. Tomorrow night I go to a dinner party, but I will do OK I am sure.
    Thanks to all of you for posting and being here to support each other! DeeDee
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: DeeDee, congratulations on your awesome weight loss.........take it one day at a time and stay focused and you'll continue successfully down this path. I'd love to hear about the diet when you get a chance to share it.

I love seasons and I love how green it is in Washington thanks to the rain. We live in a beautiful state and we thank God every day for letting us live here. I hope all of you love where you live.
    :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,123 Member
    Options
    The Anniversary party was a huge success, everyone had a great time. It was wonderful seeing my relatives that I haven't seen in a long time, especially my brother. :heart: And on top of that, with all the running around I did to get the party organized I lost a pound. I will not change my ticker until I see if the weight loss holds. :happy:

Deedee, congratulations on your weight loss, what a great accomplishment in a short amount of time. :flowerforyou:

Marie, I didn't know that by clicking on the number of posts under our avatar we could see our old posts. Learn something new everyday. Thanks. :bigsmile:

Barbie, hope your weekend is going great and you and Barb have a fun lunch date. Watch those calories. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I drove my son and his family to the airport this morning and my daughter and grand daughter from Minnesota will be here until Monday morning when I will drive them to the airport. Busy, busy times.... I will welcome the rest. :bigsmile:

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sandy glad the party turn out great. And all had a good time.

Yes that is a nice feature o on mfp . As soon as Barbiecat reach her goal I want to go and read her posting for this past year.

Have a great Saturday everyone.
    Marie
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a great weekend. We did get home from the hospital yesterday afternoon and to say I was exhausted was, indeed, an understatement. I slept on the couch for several hours in the afternoon and then mostly watched TV with Neil in the evening. We found the Canadian Curling Nationals on so vegged watching other people get a bit of exercise. Neil is watching Cops now but I will look for more curling later. Has anyone else ever curled? It is a great game but I haven't played in a long time. It does usually involve beer.
    Neil's meds have been increased and so far today we have not seen any seizures and he seems to be feeling great. Glad for that. Apparently the surgery will be in a few months, it needs to get special approval for the cost to be covered. I hope we aren't making a mistake in not going ahead with the brain surgery immediatlely. It just seems so invasive and he is already so compromised in so many areas. The Dr. makes it sound very safe but did agree this is a good way to start.
    Good job on the weight losses to all who are losing. Dave is talking about doing some mall walking and I think I will join him. We do have to get our tree down and I hope to get it done today. So, as it isn't going to take itself down, I guess I better get at it!

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: our meeting got over earlier than expected so we've had time to walk on the treadmill (to bank some exercise calories for when we go out to dinner tonight :laugh: )We'll meet Barb in about an hour and so far the plan is Vietnamese food.

:flowerforyou: Marie, We have the Dallas football game on TV but won't be able to watch the whole thing (if we were home we could record it to watch later)

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I'm glad the party went well and glad you lost a pound
    I'm with you on not recording it until you are absolutely sure it's gone.....you are right, you deserve some rest.

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I've never curled myself but I've watched it on TV and love it.......unfortunately they don't show curling on TV here.....we're hoping that we'll be able to watch it as part of the Olympics.

I love having wifi in the hotel so I can stay in touch. :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    So I went to the dinner party but there was only limited choices for me. I do not eat pork (there was ham) or beef (there was a roast), and the veggies were roasted in with the roast, so I only had mashed potatoes and turkey gravey to choose from. (Nope, no turkey meat was there, but there was turkey gravy.) Also some biscuits. So after my mashed potatoe and gravy "dinner", I came home still hungry and had soup and a granola bar. Anyway, for the first time I went over my calories for the day. :And it was not a day of "satisfied eating", either. :sad:

Which makes me think. I wonder if one cause of "overeating" is that we eat things that are NOT satisfactory, so we keep eating trying to get to a point of satisfaction/fulfillment? I had a goofy dinner, and as a result I was just plain HUNGRY afterwards. Perhaps the secret to dieting is to make sure that every bit is one of satisfaction?
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: DeeDee, your dinner had almost no nourishment.......your body was looking for something to take care of it. since I have been focusing on eating only nutrition dense foods, I'm not as hungry all the time and except for kashi go lean crunch cereal, haven't gone crazy eating too much of something.

:flowerforyou: yesterday we walked out on the catered lunch for which we'd paid fifteen dollars each and went back to our hotel room for our usual Isagenix shake and I was satisfied until my apple snack at 4 PM.......the lunch was a plain lettuce salad, pasta with a creamy sauce (maybe it had chicken), corn, white rolls, and a great variety of yummy looking desserts.

:flowerforyou: even with doing a lot of walking on the treadmill and being really careful all day, I went over my calories anyway at the fabulous Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant we went to with Barb
    we forgot to ask about the stuffed eggplant and it turned out to be breaded and fried and I gave in to eating half of one of the spring rolls.,,,,,even so, the food was delicious, healthy, and the company was even better......Barb is even more delightful in person than she is on her posts......we took some pictures and when I get home I'll get them posted so you can see us together.

:flowerforyou: Barb and the "naughty piggies" will be meeting us this morning so we can go for a walk together before we head home.
    :heart: :heart: hugs:heart: Barbie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbiecat and Barbs, Sounds like you had a wonderful time together.

I am dancing a happy dance this morning :drinker: :sad: :sad: :drinker: :love: :noway: :laugh:
    A great game.

Marie
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Dee Dee, I am so in agreement with you regarding eating things that are not satisfying. I think I do that a lot …great insight!

I am coughing my head off and rumors here are that I will need to go to urgent care in the morning! My insurance changed on the first and I am no longer with Kaiser in San Diego. My new insurance card has not arrived but I think since I have no primary that I will go to the Urgent Care where I was last treated for bronchitis. Sounds good to me!

The football game is playing as I sit here with my head phones on…trying to ignore the noise. All of a sudden Vicki is watching football, just like her mother! Mom! is 91 years old and we know not to call when a game is on. We made the mistake of calling her 5 minutes before they announced the Heizmann trophy winner was announced….we won't do that again! and I say WHO would have known?

Congrats to those of you who lost weight this week!
    Hope you all see higher temps this week!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I finally got home today so I could catch up on my posting. Barbie and Jake and I had a wonderful dinner last night, as she stated, and the company was wonderful as well. They showed me "before MFP" photos, and comparing those to the two of them in person, you can definitely see why their old self-given nicknames of " Roley" and "Poley" are outdated, and replaced with "Slim" and "Slimmer."

Getting to dinner was not without challenges. First, I attended the memorial gathering for my friend Al, who died on Christmas Day, and when it was over, I found myself in the apartment with Carol, his wife, and other family members. They had served Champagne during the gathering so that a toast could be done in Al's honor. There were several bottles remaining open, and since they had no stoppers, we had to "take care" of them. After 3 glasses, :drinker: :drinker: I decided I had to quit while I was ahead. By this time it was about 4:30pm, so I went home, which was only about 3 miles away, and decided to check the weather news to find out about Sunday. I turned on the tv and learned there was a serious accident involving a wrong way driver on the road I would normally take to get to the part of town where the hotel was. Information was still a little limited, but the map that was shown indicated the accident was east of where I am, so it appeared the backup would not affect me.

I convinced the doggies that momma was not running away from home forever and headed out for our meeting, and just as I was going to hit the freeway, I remembered " Hey, YOU never went to the store or the bank. You have almost NO CASH on you!!!" So, I stopped at Walmart, waited in line about 10 minutes to buy a magazine and bananas so I could access funds from my debit card. After standing there, when it came time to pull out my card, THAT is when I found the $20 bill that I didn't realized was still there!! Phooey!!:grumble: Could have avoided the stop, after all.

So, I get on the freeway and as I am committing to the ramp that will take me west to my destination, here is a flashing sign, "accident --all lanes blocked --expect delays":noway: "Oh goodie!! Now I am going to be stuck in a traffic jam instead of heading out for dinner." Obviously, the first reports about the location of the accident had been incorrect, it was west of me, not east.

I had no choice but to continue on that (limited access) road, and a little further down the road is another sign "wreck ahead." I could see about a mile up the road and there were nothing but brake lights. Fortunately, there was an exit between me and the stopped traffic, so I hopped off the freeway, and got on a surface street that would get me there. I called Barbie, for the 2nd time, to tell her I really WAS coming to meet them, but somebody up there didn't want me to get there very easily!!

Once I actually GOT there, we went on to have an evening of great conversation and excellent food. Lucky me, since B & J were travelling, and didn't have a refrigerator in their hotel room, I got the LEFTOVERS!!:drinker: :drinker: Truthfully, there weren't that many, but enough for a meal when combined with some more veggies. In another ironic twist, I REALLY didn't need to stop to get that money because Barbie and Jake insisted on treating me to dinner!! Thanks guys!!!:heart::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Despite the fact that I accused them on Friday of bringing rain to town with them, by Saturday afternoon, it had passed and the sun was actually out-- though it was not particularly warm. Sunday morning dawned pretty clear, so we moved forward with our plans to walk ourselves and my "three little pigs" along the path that runs east of the hotel where Barbie and Jake were staying.

We spent about an hour walking along the river, and the doggies got their share of "sniff time" and attention. I am sure we will all be staying in touch. Maybe there is a trip northward in my future. When Barbie and I discussed the possibility, we concluded with my three and her two dogs, it would be a "zoo."-- a very NOISY "zoo" at that!!:laugh:

I just realized what time it is and I have to hit the road yet again. Have a good evening, all

Barb
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    Yeah, Sandi, maybe that is something to try and nail down (if not eating satisfying foods leave someone wanting for more). Today I did not eat enough ( but not on purpose), and I'm for sure wanting for more. But that makes sense (not enough = hunger).

I'm headed into my second week. My first week was great with the # of pounds lost, but I know that from this point on it will slow down. So now I'm likely to start to get obsessive about how long it is taking me to lose.

Also, I"m shameful that I weigh more than the last time I was at the doctor's 6 months ago, so although it is time for a followup visit, I don't want to get on that darn scale and be heavier. I know this makes no sense (the doctor is not going to scold me or anything negative), but I feel like ... I goofed off and now have been caught. None of this even mattered until I got started dieting.

Funny how our mind works, isn't it? You'd think I"d have been more embarrased to order those fattening french fries or something that contributed to my regain. But no. Instead, it is having the doctor put in my chart my weight ... that is where I am embarrased. It is weird and illogical. And it only matters now that I'm trying to lose. It did not matter while I was NOT dieting.

Maybe dieting is actually mentally stressful, and that point is underacknowledged? Maybe that is one reason why some overweight people don't go on a diet, or we put of starting a diet ... because it is stressful??
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,123 Member
    Options
    Awww, peace and quiet. :love: Took my son to the airport on Saturday, spent Saturday and Sunday with my daughter and grand daughter. We had game night Saturday night and stayed up until nearly 2AM playing different kinds of games. :yawn: Sunday we chilled a little than went out to an early dinner and dessert at my step son's. Came home and watched a movie (at least they did, I kept falling asleep). Drove them to the airport this morning and have a dentist appointment before noon. I have lot of washing and getting things back on order especially since I am obsessive. :laugh: I do hope I get to just relax later but at least we are alone again and can back to our normal schedules. :heart:

Not sure I will get in any exercise today, but if I can I will. My weight seems to be holding so I must be making the right choices as far as food. :smile:

Will check in later to see how everyone's weekend was, have a happy Monday.

Sandy
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

I have just finished reading Page 5 of the post. Sorry I am behind! We went to Muncie to see the mothers on Saturday. It was ok. Day's mom is a mess, but mine is better. My BIL can go jump in a lake! (polite version) and my brother and sister are fine. We had lunch with Day's mom and supper with mine. Nothing out of the ordinary. We will go back again in 2 weeks. Diane, my SIL with cancer, is doing as well as can be expected. Amanda and Sam are doing great. Amanda is using the herbs and seasonings that I made for her this fall and says that they are fine. I must have got it right! Sam is getting ready for her Indy 500 Princess interview next week and is starting her last semester of classroom subjects for college. She will do her student teaching in September, then done in December. Amanda turns 25 tomorrow!!! WHERE did it GO???? We sent her money this year, the gift that never gets exchanged! LOL Yesterday Day and I cleaned the house top to bottom and took down and stored the Christmas stuff. I was really kind of glad to see it go! I love the time of year, but enough is enough!

I have been doing a lot of research on my training for the triathalons. It is very interesting. Right now I am working on the mental aspect of putting your body through the requirements. Working through the pain and getting to the next level and so on. I think that I am going to have to up my calories to keep up the pace. I have been doing fine but feeling a little weak. It may just be the weather but I have really been operating in a significant negative calorie range daily, and I am afraid that without the proper fuel I may generate an injury.

Today I have strength and cardio on tap. about 2.5 hours worth. I am thinking of Salmon for supper. Maybe even a potato! Whoo Hoo! Treat for me! LOL Also, I have been looking for a used spinning bike, no luck yet. My funding for all this is limited so I have to spend wisely. Thats about all for now on my end!

Sandy no doubt you are doing well! Kind of mixed emotions when the kids leave isn't it?

DeeDee eating at special events is always a challenge and always will be. Most people look at dining as the key social event in their daily lives. In reality it is! BUT the true event is to fuel the body. When I finally grasped this concept and we went out for whatever function, I always took an apple with me or had one just before I went, like in the car on the way. It really took the edge off and relieved the desire to eat. You should try to this about 20 minutes before you enter the place. It takes about that long for the Hypathalmus to send the signal to the brain that you have eaten something and that you satisfied. It really does work! Now if you do eat french fries (which I miss terribly!) Eat steak fries. The larger the french fry the less oil that is absorbed. They can be dramatically lower in calories. I choose to just let them go because I liked them with katsup and that is a calorie nightmare. Do not be embarrassed by anyone during this journey. You are doing the right things, stay with them talk about the journey and be proud of the steps you have taken and those yet to come! Dieting can be stressful. We all want results ASAP it just does not work that way. Hang in there kid! It will happen!

Barb I enjoyed your post!

Sandi38 Ihope you get to feeling better!

Marie! How about those Comboys? They looked good! (and the Cheerleaders better! LOL)

Gayla give Neil my best and the same to you!

Jeffrey
  • viliberty
    Options
    Well...still going.....I am starting to get a little bored with my food. I will have to make some changes to get a little variety and still have the same nutrition. I guess it is time to go to the grocery store and read labels.

I am attempting to make fabric postcards today. I felt creative when I agreed to do it. Now not so much.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Irene, How do you make fabric postcard?
    Last year I embroifery Christmas cards But just wan't in the mood this year to do any. In Fact I am not in the mood to do anything. And thats bad. Going to these Docters is enought. I go to a bone docter Tomrrow about my hips. When you get old everything start falling apart.

Have a wonderful day.

Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Jeffrey---- everything at your household senns to be going great. Its nice of you and Day going to visit both of your Mothers. And your exercise is going great as useally. Nice clean house from bottom to top, That always make you feel good.

Have a wonderful week. I fdidn't see any cheerleaders at the game/LOL
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I had my first really good on program day today. I am a but hungry tonight but am determined to get through the day without snacking. I will continue with the NoS program as that is the best for me. For those of you who are not familiar with NoS, it it No Sweets, No Seconds and No Snacks except on days that start with S including special days (they start with S too). We need some groceries so that I can get some fruit. Funny how I didn't notice being out of fruit (except bananas) until I wanted some for breakfast. I am going to get back to doing the 8 Minute in the Morning exercises (Jorge Cruise) which worked well for me a couple of years ago. I will also either mall walk or ride the stationary bike. Who knows, I might get crazy and do both.

Jeffrey -- You have had a busy time with all the visiting. You will never regret taking the time to go visit the Moms. It is odd how the kids grow up and we continue to think of them as 'kids'. My oldest just turned 34, how could that be?? He is still very much a kid at heart so there it is! Dave and I have also been doing some end of the season cleaning. I think everything is in the basement now but I still have cleaning and rearranging to do. Now that I am retired I can take it slow and easy, each day do a little more. I ended up with a mound of laundry over the holiday so have been working at that mountain. I really miss being able to use my clothes line.

Marie -- You sound a bit down. Hope your Dr. appt. goes ok.

Irene -- You are very wise to make some diet changes before you are completely tired with the diet. Hope you find some interesting and tasty things to add to your menu.

Sandy -- Only you and I are up at 2 a.m. I am trying to get a handle on that as I keep reading that you need 7 or 8 hours sleep for a diet to be effective. It is always sad to see the family go.

Barbie and Barb -- glad you had such a nice time together. I knew you would.

Everyone else, thinking about you, will catch you next time. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :smile: :heart:
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    Good Evening Folks!

Well the work out is in and I am exhausted! Just gasping for air as I type!

Jeffrey