Seniors Golden Sneakers Club January 2010

Options

Replies

• deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear Senior Friends! I weighed in this morning (I chart on Fridays), and I lost two pounds this week. I am happy with that number and hope I can keep it up. This week, I survived a migraine, got my 2009 taxes 75% completed, paid my final 2009 estimated tax installment, and finished up the day today with a 1/2 hour walk. I am pleased.

I rediscovered the yummy yummy, low calorie Galeo Miso Dijonaise. Less than 20 calories a flavorful tablespoonful. Perfect on turkey sandwiches and vegetables, besides on salads.

Thanks to all you MFP posters. The support is so helpful. Now I'm headed to my blog (that is a nice MFP accessory, I've never blogged before!) to write about my views on "it's never too young to learn about calories".

Happy Saturday everyone! DeeDee
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hey there we are all off and running. to some for real , for others like me in my mind. We are in for some really nice weather next week. My trip to the doctor yesterday went quite well. No blood cloths and that was great news, I start theaphy Mondays morning. He gave me some pain pills and I took one last night and I slep from 10 last night till 9 this morning. Got a big pot of veggie and chicken soup going for some of my meals. next week. I made broth out of the bones of a ready cook ed chicken yesterday My first time ever. It will be my lunch meals along with a flax muffin next week. and a piece of fruit.

:flowerforyou: Barbs I have always enjoy Gayla weather reports for almost 7 years now. So glad that Neal is having a little rest from his seizures. He is such a sweet and loving guy. I just love hearing about his adventures. Not the bad ones the good ones.

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I guess you are getting excited with your trip just around the corner. Be sure to take you camera. So we can take the trip with you. It will be spring time for us when you get back or least almost spring time and I am ready. I got my seed catalog last week. We are going to plant turnips this spring. I love them roasted. Had some last night.

:flowerforyou: Barbiecat. The longer you are married the grander it gets. Love is wonderful. I didn't have it in my first mariage but I sure do now.

Sandy has it too. such a sweet lady.

Jeffrey and Day have a wonderful life together.

And all the reat of you Have a happy life.
    Marie
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone from about 35F Saskatchewan. I like to post the temp. as people so often think it is 40 below all winter here. Thankfully we only get a week or two of that as a rule. We haven't had much snow this winter and the farmers are getting a little anxious about the land being dry in the Spring. We are getting excited about our trip, especially Neil. He asks everyday how long it will be. I think it even comes ahead of the Bounty Hunter. We had to share the TV today and skating and Bounty Hunter were on at the same time. Bummer!! It all worked out and I got to see the top flight. I hope our skaters do well at the Olympics.

Marie -- You are sounding more like yourself. Glad you got good news from the Dr. and that you are feeling a bit better. Nothing like a good sleep to make you feel better. I used to plant turnips, we love them but I never had much success with them. I do buy them often though.

Deedee -- good job on the weight loss. It sounds like you had a productive week! Good to hear from you.

Barb -- Glad you enjoy the weather report!

Barbie -- It sounds like things are going well with Haifa. It must be difficult to seperate them for their meals. Glad it is working out.

I guess now that a week has gone by on NoS I will start reporting on weeks rather than days. I do need to do better with exercise. My back isn't as sore today so there really is no excuse.

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :smile: :heart:
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    If we are giving weather reports, I'll add my great one. High today was 82 degrees, it is now 79 (3:30 pm), and should be a low tonight of 66 (which is cold of us!). I love Hawaii weather. :)

Carry on everyone with your PLAN OF ATTACK against those nasty calories! DeeDee
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Marie, I bet you are counting the minutes until the Dallas game starts tomorrow.:bigsmile:

Barbie, When I posted yesterday, your post just above mine wasn't showing yet, so I didn't see your description of Haifa's treatment. That kitty is lucky to have such a devoted momma. I hope the treatment continues to work well.

Beth, I had been meaning to try that Greek yogurt myself, and your post reminded me, so tonight when I stopped at Trader Joe's on the way home from work, I bought a little container of the organic, non-fat with honey. It was FANTASTIC!! Just wish it wasn't so spendy. I could get addicted quickly.

Well, it has been a long week, and I think I will sleep well tonight. So long for now:yawn:

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Good Sunday Morning all.

Have some jobs to get done before game time. Its at 12 noon. so can't linger here too long. I am imprving day by day. the doctor don't wont to do surgery for i have to many health issues. Said he would just treat me with medications and thearpy. I go to my first class in the morning. I am walking better now without too much pain except we went to the store yesterday and that prove to be too much. A little to soon for that.

got to get some flaxs muffin made. about to run out. I did get a bacth of herb flaxs buns made yesterday for we are hamburgers today . Alice is on her way out. she will be able to help me. Looking forward to a good game today. Jerry is getting ready for church now.

Well better get up and get busy.
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Slept in a little today and it felt good. I love Sunday mornings where I just chill out and read the Sunday paper. Of course I have to check on all my sites, such as my daughter's blog, this site and face book first. :laugh: Then it is coffee and reading time.:drinker:

Deedee, great job on the weight loss, you are doing a great job. Isn't it great to get support and encouragement from others who are on the same journey? :love:

Barbie, I hope the treatment for Haifa works and he gets used to his new eating schedule. We do a lot for those pets we love so much don't we? Besides having two three legged dogs (one had bone cancer the other, Freeway, was hit or thrown from a vehicle, we also had another Old English that ended up not being able to urinate after his surgery. Three times a day I catherized him for six months until we had to let him go, when he progressively got worse and couldn't walk. I could write a book on all the different things we have been through with our puppies. There are a lot of people who think we are crazy and shouldn't spend so much money on our pets, but if we can afford it and it is what we want to do, we just ignore those people.:glasses:

Gayla, when do you leave on your cruise? I am so jealous, I love to cruise, especially with family.:heart: Figure skating is my favorite sport and yet I haven't watched in a very long time. I especially love it during the Olympics and that I do watch. Hope Neil is doing better with his seizures and enjoys the cruise as I hope you all do.:flowerforyou:

Marie, so glad you got some rest and feel better today. I hope each day you get stronger and once the weather breaks you can go on your walks and breathe in some good fresh air. I know that is what I am waiting for, since I am a summer girl. :laugh:

Uh, Deedee, maybe you shouldn't give weather reports, since it makes me cry. :sad: :laugh: :laugh:

Have a wonderful Sunday, spend time doing what you love best. I will be cheering on the Vikings since the Bears are in hibernation. Since my son in law is the controller for the Vikings, they are hoping they go all the way so he and my daughter can go the Super Bowl. :bigsmile:

Talk to you soon,
    Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Options

Here is Sammy's little buddie ready for the Dallas Cowboys game.

Sammyfootballplayerage00313.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I keep forgetting who I'm cheering for between Dallas and Minnesota:laugh: :laugh:

:drinker: one bad thing about watching football is that between the beer and food I've watched about a million calories in bigger than life pictures

:flowerforyou: I love the weather reports from everyone.......I'm a bigger fan of cold weather than warm and given my choice of Canada or Hawaii, I'd choose Canada

:flowerforyou: Marie, I'm glad to hear that you're doing some walking again although I know that right now you're sitting in front of the TV urging the Cowboys to get a move on and score some points.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, you are so right about what we do for our pets......you've had some really huge animal care challenges.....until now my biggest challenge was Noah, the black cat, who had a chronic condition that required twice daily medication that could be formulated in a liquid form in chicken flavor and had to be purchased from a regular pharmacy....the only way he would take it was if I put it in the palm of my hand and he licked it out of my hand I did that for about two years before he died in 2003.

:flowerforyou: Things continue to go well with Haifa....I was able to feed both cats together this morning since I'm feeding them the same food.......Haifa is now willing to eat out of the bowl rather than being hand fed and this morning he and Bernie kept changing bowls and eating each other's food :laugh: I had a good phone conversation with the woman at "The Cat's Pajamas" where the cats will be boarded for six days when we go to Phoenix on Wednesday. She is fabulous with cats and all their needs and will be happy to take care of all the cats' special needs including the insulin injections.

:flowerforyou: The dogs think I should record the rest of the football game and take them to the dog park :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: maybe they're right, the sun is shining and it might be raining by the time the game is over.
    :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart:
    Barbie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello Everyone.

Marie, That pic of Sammy's buddy was VERY CUTE. I think the Cowboys could have used him on the offensive line today. I think the element of surprised might have helped them score some points. I am sorry things didn't go the way you wanted, but I must say that I am looking forward to seeing Minnesota and New Orleans. I guess I lean toward the Saints, but I don't have any strong affiliations either way.

Barbie, I discovered it is possible to watch football without drinking beer. :noway: Last night I had rum, instead!!:laugh: :drinker: It did give me a good night sleep--so good in fact that I turned off my alarm and didn't wake up til after the Vikings were already beating up on the Cowboys. I didn't actually get out of bed 'til after 11a.:yawn: Since I don't drink beer in bed, and I had the company of 3 little pesties (Even Mai Li joined the party this morning), I watch the entire game sans beer. After I did get out of bed, I had almond butter on an Earth grains sandwich thin, and a banana instead, and did my strength training exercises.

Apparently, I slept a little TOO soundly. When I got up, I discovered that "Bradley the Terror" had gotten out of bed during the night and found the tote bag I carry with me to work--the one with FOOD in it, so you already can guess what happened.:grumble: :laugh: He found my package of Orowheat Honey Wheat Sandwich Thins (a new variety and very good I might add). When I brought them home last night, there were SIX in the bag. This morning, I found a suspiciously empty bag with a hold chewed in the end of it, and Bradley sleeping like a little "angel":devil: :bigsmile: in my bed, trying to look innocent.:ohwell:

I have to go and get ready to leave. A friend has invited me over for a salmon dinner tonight. She feeds me, and in return, I will speak stern words to her computer and compel it to do as it is told in the future.:laugh: I have found it seems to respond to impolite German words muttered under one's breath--strange since it is a Toshiba, but whatever works, right??:laugh:

Barbie and Jake, I hope you have a wonderful time in Arizona. I hope the weather cooperates for you. The last I heard, the jet stream was supposed to be sending most of the rainy weather to the south of us and it was supposed to pass through AZ on its way to the east. I hope it has already passed before you get there.

So long for now.

Barb
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Sorry Marie, but my Minnesota family is thrilled with the Viking win. :laugh: If they can win next week, off to Miami they will go for the Super Bowl. :heart:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    hi and goodbye again , I am up too late, this day has just flown right by.. anyway,
    Barb, I think you asked about my computer woes, they are much better. it needed memory, so I put that in, and it really perked the old girl up!! my dvd burner had a registry error, and once I fixed that, it is working fine again.. had to return the new one I bought. so that is that for now anyway. hope you all have a safe and happy week,

Marie, sorry your cowboys didn't make it.. really, I am indifferent to all of it, but sorry you are sorry, how is that!? I love that photo of Sammy the big fan, or his look a like!!
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    Hi Golden Friends. Just checking in to give a quick hello, and wish everyone well during the holiday tomorrow. Sometimes a break in the routine is hard on a diet, but we can still do a good job even with holidays, yes! I just realized when posting to my food log today that I did not log anything yesterday. How strange, I don't remember missing a day! Oh well.

Happy Monday Everyone! DeeDee
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone!

Sorry about the Cowboys Marie! But your dog looked "game ready"! Love the picture!

Barbie have a great trip! Glad your cat is doing better!

Barb I like rum too, straight by the shot...

Sandi are you getting ready for the dance season again?

DeeDee you are doing great. Stay with it!

Gayla where are you going on your cruise? Day and I are looking at booking a couple of them again.

We had a decent weekend. Day's mom is really acting up now. But again, what else is new? My little sister turned 54 yesterday I called and left a message but she will not return the call. LOL Day and I went shopping yesterday. We did get a good buy on a 6.5 quart slow cooker for $19. We made chili in it yesterday and it worked great. Saturday we went out with friends to dinner and then to their house to watch the Colts game. We are HUGE Colts fans! We always have been, even through the bad years. things are pretty good now!

I have continued to ramp up the workouts. I got several miles in running this weekend. My knee comes and goes with the pain. Saturday it was terrible, but I pushed through it. I am going to the doctor for it today. I am starting to think that it may just be severly imflamed. We shall see. My weight is good and I am building additional muscle mass. I feel great with the exception of the knee issue. My new training partner is in pain! LOL I give him all the respect, he is sticking with it so far. I took 5 poounds off of him last week and he is happy with the results. He needs a lot of strenth training. Hisa cardio seems ok for his fitness level but it too is severly diminished for his age. We are working on that tonight.

Amanda and Sam are great. Sam has a new boyfriend now. I have not met him yet. But rest assured I shall! That is about it from Indiana for now.

Smile! It is easy to do!

Jeffrey
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Hi All,

Just wanted to say good morning. We are playing cards today instead of tomorrow so I want to get some exercise in before meeting them. :happy:

Marie, please forgive the Vikings for beating your favorite team, but be happy for my son in law who works for the Vikings and has been a fan since he is nine years old. If the Vikings win next week and go to the Super Bowl he and his wife will get an all expense paid trip to Miami to fulfill the dream of his lifetime, watching the VIkings play in the Super Bowl!! :heart: I am excited for them and hope this dream comes true. :bigsmile:

I have been terrible as far as watching my calories and exercising. Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am going to start doing what I have to do, no more excuses!! If you need to kick me in the butt to get me moving please feel free to do so. With some of you losing as much as 81 pounds how hard can it be for me to lose 5?? Yes I know the closer to goal the harder to lose, but Barbie got to her goal and set a new goal and lost that, so if you want it bad enough it happens!! It is time, starting today!!!:love:

Love you girls and guys!!
    Sandy
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    flowerforyou: It’s Martin Luther King Day and I am at work. I salute Dr. King and his faith and leadership!
    Even though I am at work, it is a little slow. I think everyone thinks we’re closed.:wink:

This weekend was a little bit sloppy. Someone gave us this huge bowl of broccoli salad which I though would be harmless. But when I ate some, I realized there was some sweet dressing in it as well as raisins and walnuts. I didn’t measure and kept eating more. It was addicting! I probably went over my calories by a few hundred. NOT GOOD.:angry:

Then Sunday I exercise (300 calories) ate a very clean breakfast and small lunch and then went out to eat at an Italian restaurant! The antipasto was loaded with all kinds of fattening things and there wasn’t much on the menu that was up my alley. So I did the best I could. I ordered a seafood pasta dish, which had very little cheese and a very light sauce, scallops, shrimp and squid. I ate all but about a ½ cup of the linguini and skipped the bread and appetizer. I did have 2 light beers though.
    So today I need to be squeaky clean. I exercised and will be very disciplined, and I hope it doesn’t affect my weight too much.:ohwell:

On another note….I am sickened by what’s going on in Haiti! :cry: I went on a missionary trip there in the late 80’s and have a special place in my heart for those beautiful people! :love: We came back from the mission trip and raised money to build a school in a town called Marigot, just south of Port Au Prince, which was not destroyed by the earthquake. But so much suffering and tragedy! :sad: :sad: I hope all, who believe in the power of prayer, which I do, will join me in praying for them to have strength and courage during these unbelievably trying days ahead of them!:brokenheart:

BirdieM:heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

The salmon dinner was yummy. The company was good. The chardonnay went down very smoothly, and I still had calories remaining when I got home. All good things.

My friend's computer didn't require any German swear words after all.:laugh: All it needed was a kick in the behind to the dial up connection settings, which some how lost the "never dial a connection" setting. It was the easiest task I have ever had to complete in order to get a good meal, so goodie for me.

So everyone, have a good week. I am trying to get out the door to get to Costco before it gets too late.

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options

I will be rootin for the Vikings/ I have have been watching Brett all seasons and think he is fantastic. He prove that yesterday.
    The Cowboys will make it one of these day. They still gave us a good seasons. Good luck to the Vikings all the way .Hope your son do get to go to the superbowl. that would be great.

Marie
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

I went to the doctor today for the knee. It is severly inflamed. I got a new med for it and doc said I could train if I could stand the pain. I got started on the med this afternoon and feel great tonight! Very little pain and I had a killer workout. I am down 2500 calories for the day. I am getting ready for a late snack though!.. Anyway I am going to live and train again! LOL Have a great night!

Jeffrey
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I went to college in Minnesota so I'm happy to see the Vikings moving on....I'm a football fan only at the end of the season starting with the playoff games :laugh:

:flowerforyou: We had temps in the 50's today.....coupled with a public school holiday there were a lot of people at the dog park......Sasha spent a lot of time barking at children.....last night we had rain and wind and something that knocked the power out for a few hours.

:flowerforyou: I'm almost packed for our trip to Phoenix......we leave on Wednesday right after line dance.....we'll spend Wednesday night in a hotel near the airport and fly out on Thursday morning....we'll be home again on Monday

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, glad to hear that you have some answers about your knee.....you are so focused.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: