WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Work has been crazy. I was there until 9pm yesterday. Well, I got to point where I needed to kill something so I went to my crossfit workout and carried heavy things over my head and then I went back to work. Everything went much faster after that.

I did get through a few pages before I gave up...
    Going to work on day one of c25k now.:happy:
    That's a great program! (OTOH, I hate The Biggest Loser)
    I just joined this program today I know that I will need lots of help I have my nephew living with me and he is 12 so lots of junk foods and my other roomate thinks it should be potatoes and porkchops every night. No help around the house so hope to get help here.
    Time to teach your nephew about healthy eating! Just because a 12 year old can eat a lot of junk food without getting fat doesn't mean that it's good for him. He needs to learn good habits now so that he doesn't get in trouble later when he has a desk job and a slower metabolism due to age.

Anyway, I'm actually do pretty good on my goals this week so I'm hoping "check-in Monday" will show it!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    swissmiss - you and I must be twins. I will work out at home, but I much much prefer (and find that I work harder) in a group setting. I have a Wii (I'm hoping for the Wii Fit Plus program for my birthday) and some DVD's. I'm starting to get a collection of DVD's, but that's good. I have to say that I can't do the same thing all the time, I get too bored. So I'm constantly changing things up.

debianne - if you happen to need someone to carry your bags while you're on your cruise, I hereby volunteer.....you don't even have to pay me....hey, I've been working out....lol Have a great time!

jam - where's this Wii forum? I'd be interested.

I did get two of the walking DVD's for Christmas, so I'm hoping for a Rebounder for my birthday. I bet I can do them on the Rebounder

sheilajane - I'm in NC

Unfortunately, I didn't get to exercise today or yesterday. We took the one cat to NC State Vet School for a CT scan of her ear. Fortunately, it wasn't another polyp. Their opinion is that it's an infection in the middle ear, so they gave us ear drops. We are supposed to hear from them by the middle of next week to find out which antibiotic she should be on. They had to take a culture and this will tell them which antibiotic will be the best. One thing they were proposing was to operate and remove the ear canal. We weren't too crazy about that.

While we were there, we went to this mall. There is a tea store there and they many times have samples. So I tried this one. Was it good! It's a blend of teas, but it's supposed to be an appetite suppressant (in add'n to other things). I don't want to take any pills for appetite suppressant, but a cup of tea at night is good. Also, I really find that I don't need any kind of sweetener with it. I know that I used to have this metal "canister" which you put the tea leaves in and let it steep, only for the life of me I can't find it. Anyone have any ideas on something else to use?

I know I've read this, but I do find that if I use an artificial sweetener, I usually will want something sweet. That's what I have merangues for.

Well, I'm planning on going to a yoga class tomorrow at the Y. Gotta get back on schedule. Usually, I go to yoga on Saturdays.

barbiecat - you should see me when I go out to a restaurant! Hubby is sometimes embarassed to be with me I ask so many questions and make so many substitutions. I've even gotten to the point of lying and telling them that I'm allergic to certain things just to get the food prepared the way I want it. One time I took my own snacks into a ball game. I honestly didn't think they'd have a problem with it, but they did. So I pulled the "I need this (the food) for medicinal purposes", I got to take it in. We went to a Ruby Tuesdays one night for dinner. Now I know they have a lighter fare menu, but when I asked for it, the hostess looked at me like I was from another planet. Fortunately, I knew that one of the things on it was the 7oz steak, but on the menu the steak comes with butter on top. Who needs butter on their steak? So I asked for my steak w/o butter.

I just recorded what I ate for the two days we were gone, both days I was under calories. Then again, I didn't exercise. But I did drink my water.
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and welcome to the Newbies:flowerforyou:

This is a great thread for encouragement and motivation. It's been a rough week, but I think I've almost survived Month end close and Year End Close. A few more special projects to be completed in a short time frame, but a couple of more weeks and things should slow down for a couple of months.

My daughter just called and they have snowflakes in Orlando:noway:

So far staying close to my calories everyday, drinking lots of water:drinker: and NOT SMOKING:bigsmile:

It's been a long day - turning in:yawn:

Nancy:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options

barbiecat - you should see me when I go out to a restaurant! Hubby is sometimes embarassed to be with me I ask so many questions and make so many substitutions. I've even gotten to the point of lying and telling them that I'm allergic to certain things just to get the food prepared the way I want it. One time I took my own snacks into a ball game. I honestly didn't think they'd have a problem with it, but they did. So I pulled the "I need this (the food) for medicinal purposes", I got to take it in. We went to a Ruby Tuesdays one night for dinner. Now I know they have a lighter fare menu, but when I asked for it, the hostess looked at me like I was from another planet. Fortunately, I knew that one of the things on it was the 7oz steak, but on the menu the steak comes with butter on top. Who needs butter on their steak? So I asked for my steak w/o butter.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: exermom, you rock.......I wish you lived near me, we could go to restaurants together and drive them crazy. :laugh: Hubby goes to the movies with his daughter and gets her to carry bottled water and his special snacks in her purse because he can't/won't consume the stuff they sell there :laugh:
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    WOO HOO!!!!

Today was my first "official" one week weigh in and LOST 6 LBS IN ONE WEEK!

Thank you to mfp for helping me to keep track of calories.

Thank you to all the wonderful ladies on this thread for your inspiring words to me and to others.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Debbie - You go girl!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    congratulations, Debbie,,,,,,,,,,you have made an awesome beginning.....stick with us and your progress will continue
    :heart: Barbie
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone. I sure enjoy reading your wonderful posts. This is my 2nd week on mfp. Lost 5 lbs last week and the scale hasn't budged this week. Oh well, I know I have stayed under my cal count. I see many of you are drinking 80 oz or more of H2O a day. I find this a challenge. Any suggestions to get more water in? I tend to chug coffee in the morning and then I am just not too thirsty in the pm.

Have a cast on my foot (3 weeks now) for bunion+hammertoe surgery. Moving is limited but have been doing some stretches. Open to suggestions. (2 more weeks to go in cast!) I have so much respect for those with physical disabilities. The challenges are many and it is humbling to let others take care of you. I did wake up to hubby putting doing dishes. I told him that was a turn-on! Maybe he will do dishes every day! Ha!

All the best to you beautiful ladies (and gents). Wishing you a blessed weekend!
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fabfifty - you could still lift some weights for arms and shoulders (use canned goods if you don't have hand weights), sit on the floor and do straight leg - leg lifts to strengthen your thighs and of course - crunches of all kinds. Just keep moving.....

DebbieW - great job on your first week! Keep it up!

committed - I'm proud of you for not smoking. I smoked a long time ago and know how hard it is to quit so my hats off to you for sticking with this.

Okay 50's ladies - I'm having trouble with constipation (lovely topic - I know - sorry). I eat more than 30 grams of fiber a day and drink tons of water - anybody have any other ideas?? Would be really low fat diet have anything to do with it??

Today is my one day off from exercise but I'm still going to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Hope everyone else is having a great start to their weekend!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Ooh, I'm just plain hungry this morning. Maybe I haven't gotten enough fluids in so I'm trying that 1st.

Firetuck; sorry about the movement problems. Ground flax added to your cereal or yogurt would help and also you do need 3 tsp of good oils per day. (At least thats what WW recommends). Long ago when I was pregnant I remember someone saying that if you get that way, do this: when you sit on the potty put your feet up on a little stool. That gets you in more of a squatting position (the more natural state) and that helps things. This has helped me in the past. Thankfully I don't get that way very often.

Not much going on here today. I'm going to get a walk in in just a little bit.

Cindy
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

While we were there, we went to this mall. There is a tea store there and they many times have samples. So I tried this one. Was it good! It's a blend of teas, but it's supposed to be an appetite suppressant (in add'n to other things). I don't want to take any pills for appetite suppressant, but a cup of tea at night is good. Also, I really find that I don't need any kind of sweetener with it. I know that I used to have this metal "canister" which you put the tea leaves in and let it steep, only for the life of me I can't find it. Anyone have any ideas on something else to use?

exermom--In a pinch I've used a coffee filter tied with string--works find of like a tea bag!:laugh: We used to have those Ingenuitea pots but they seem to have disappeared during our moves this past year (we moved twice--to an apartment and then to this house--which I LOVE because there are STAIRS!:laugh: ).

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: Congrats to all who lost--and especially to those who didn't but are not giving up!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

I only went down a half pound but I also lost 5 inches in the past 2 weeks!:happy: :happy: The c25k and 30 Day Shred appear to be working!:drinker:

Kathy(pmjsmom)
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    An apple a day helps keep the system in check! Also, canned pumpkin jazzed up with sweetner and spices will help aide your digestion and tastes yummy heated up on a chilly day~:smile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO!!!!

:flowerforyou: Well done! And what a boost to a good start!
  • weebles
    weebles Posts: 50
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend! I'm a little sore today...but in a good way! Exercised yesterday and then went dancing last night. And not just a couple dances. My daughters keep me on the dance floor at all times shakin' my booty! LOL I love the feeling in the mornings ....when you "feel" slimmer. And then to realize in one week I have lost 5...I say 5 pounds!!!!!!! :bigsmile: Keep shakin' it my peeps and let's move on down the road! :heart:

Congrats to everyone on all your goals!!!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    WOW !!! Six pounds in one week???? What is your secret. I did at one time lose seven pounds in one week but I hadn't lost much at all for the previous weeks, nor the next. I was in a diet group at the time and they thought I had done something very unhealthy to cause it. I would love to do that just once at this time. I would be so much closer to goal. This last few pounds are very stubborn.

I went to my Zumba class this morning and burned 420 calories. It was so much because I hadn't done much exercising in the past two weeks so I really worked hard. I also have lost two of the pounds I gained over the holidays.
  • weebles
    weebles Posts: 50
    Options
    WOW !!! Six pounds in one week???? What is your secret. I did at one time lose seven pounds in one week but I hadn't lost much at all for the previous weeks, nor the next. I was in a diet group at the time and they thought I had done something very unhealthy to cause it. I would love to do that just once at this time. I would be so much closer to goal. This last few pounds are very stubborn.

I went to my Zumba class this morning and burned 420 calories. It was so much because I hadn't done much exercising in the past two weeks so I really worked hard. I also have lost two of the pounds I gained over the holidays.

Congrats!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey weebles. How are you doing? Are you finding this thread to be helpful? Glad to have you here.:flowerforyou:
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Reporting back that I did a 1.25 mile and burned 107 calories on the elliptical!

One of the things I am going to try is to start doing my exercise in the afternoon. I am really a Morning person with a capital M. I have found that if I exercise in the AM I get that done and I feel good about myself but I am leaving other things undone. Today I have changed things around and I am surprised at how much more I have accomplished.

Hubby mentioned that we are almost out of bread so I'd better get one made. Oh, I do love my bread machine. He's happy and so am I!

Later,

cindy

Great job at getting that exercise done! Congrats!!! (previous post of your entire quote was a mistake---my fingers sometimes have a mind of their own....but thank you for your sweet words!)

Debbie -- 6 pounds -- woo hoo indeed!!!

Barbie(cat)- you are so committed...you never cease to amaze me.

Committed -- congrats on quitting smoking! I've been there and done that and would NEVER go back to it! (smoking that is)!

Rose -- good job at hanging in there over the holidays...that pesky pound will be gone before you know it.

To everyone out there...hope you have a great Saturday! I've got my exercise done for the day and need to head out into the icebox to visit MIL and go shopping. Going out to dinner tonight so wish me luck!

:heart: Terri :heart:
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Added a new fun component to my treadmill routine. I plugged in my husband's MP3 player that he has loaded with Classic Rock. Who can stand still while jamming to Leonard Skynard, ZZ Top, and the Almond Bros ?:smokin: :smokin: Look out Richard Simmons.....this beats your "Dancin' to the Oldies" !!!
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO!!!!

:flowerforyou: Well done! And what a boost to a good start!

WAY TO GO !!!!!