WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• aisser
    aisser Posts: 232
    Options
    Hi everyone I didn't log in yesterday was to tired when I got home and frozen. I stayed under my calories yesterday but didn't get them logged and got my exersise cleaning the stalls. Drank my 8 glasses of water. Today we got the horses moved my 2 and my daughters 3 Spent some time walking them before stabling them.One of them hit her face on the side of the trailor trying to get back in and put a pretty good gash on her head but she will be ok just have to keep it doctored. I logged my food stayed under 1200 calories. I drank 8 glasses of water. Helped clean 2 other stalls today and put those horses out in the pasture.I also walked my 2 horses before putting them in their stalls. Hope to go riding soon now that I have somewhere to ride them. Road was to busy where they were. Thanks for listing. Good Night!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options

firetuck-:embarassed: If I don't eat a piece of fruit EVERY day, have the same challenge. An apple, an orange, some pineapple, cherries or melon, whatever you like. AND if I'm taking antibiotics, i walk around with a pocketful of prunes... ;}

OOPS. if I'm taking pain pills, pockets are full of prunes. For distress caused by antibiotics, its Activia.
    ;>
    bk
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I just checked the date and it is 1-10-10. The tenth was my mother's birthday. She's been gone now about 9 years.

To update all of you, my kitchen was torn apart to the subfloor and no sink or nothing since 5 days before Xmas. Long story. Anyways, tomorrow is my first real day of sanity to where I can eat right and go to the Y like old times. Only I want better and newer good times. I got a new beautiful pink jacket and blouse for Xmas about 2 to 3 sizes too small. I want to fit into it by Easter. When's Easter?

Anyways, I gained about 10 pds through the kitchen and holidays. Not bad I feel. But onward ho!

IF I LOSE A POUND A WEEK, THAT WILL BE 52 POUNDS IN A YEAR. WOW!!

I wish I'd done that last year but oh, no. I had to do some much more than that and I did only about half that. So that is my goal. A pound a week. And. . . to be happy with it.

Happy New Year and God bless each one of you. KC
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oh, and can you all help me?

How do you find the time to log on your food. And do you do it as the day goes? Do you plan what you are going to eat in advance? I need help cause I don't write anything down anymore. Thank you, kc
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi to all,
    It's day 5 on the program and all is well - very very well, in fact. I am entering my food and exercise minutes faithfully and love the control that gives me.
    When I was younger whenever I needed to lose weight I was able to do it with a little effort and then I'd keep it off for years. Then in my mid-50's I quit smoking and went though a very stressful time of moving back to Greece, finding a job, etc. The weight started creeping on and though I made several serious attempts to get it off - once with a weight loss program and once with a nutritionist (both expensive and therefore limited) - nothing got me anywhere near my goal and when I quit going I gained back more than I'd lost.
    I got to my current state (medically described as obese) a few years ago after I slipped and injured my back which resulted in a major attack of sciatica. I was in treatment for about 18 months and the only time I wasn't in pain seemed to be when I was sleeping or eating. Exercise was pretty much out of the question. I am OK now but the additional weight is terrible for back, my knees and my breathing. So although I have always been a very SLOW loser, I have a great motivation for doing so. This program is giving me the tools, the insight on what works and what doesn't, and the support of all of you who share.
    Thanks to all of you, Carol

Carol..I can so relate to your experience. Back pain can stop you in your tracks and makes you slow way down and become very sedentary and the pounds creep on even though we are not really eating a huge amount..of course the depression that often happens when we have to live our life on the sidelines, can make us overeat. I am a slow loser too, and I blame it mostly on being over 50+. We just have to work harder and sacrifice a little more than a woman in her 40's does when on a weightloss program. But we CAN do it! The support here is great and you will get all KINDS of ideas..:flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Several year ago I took my mother to see the Skate America competition that was held in Colorado Springs that year. We were there sometimes for up to 6 hours a day for 4 days, and weren't about to live on overpriced salty hot dogs and nachos. They had strict rules that you couldn't bring in food or even water, and they went through bags. If you had some, you had to either throw it out or carry it back to your car. We got giggly goofy in our motel room when packing each morning. She filled empty film cannisters with peanut m&m's in her purse. I put a couple of bottles of water under the crocheting in my bag, then contemplated how to smuggle in sandwiches. I made a very useful discovery. A tampon box is just the right size to hold some sandwiches! I put them in my bag and made sure to get in security lines with workers who were about 18-20 year old young men. I know once they saw what appeared to be full boxes of tampons in the bag of the gray haired lady, they would be done digging! I'm sure they wished they hadn't come to work that day. Anyway, never got caught, and managed to carry in all of our food for the event!
    Omg, all my friends and I do that too. But some guy at Nationals in Spokane smuggled in an entire boxed dinner. I would never have the nerve to do that. I'm good a smuggling in snacks and stuff though.

The thing is, it's not just the arena food is unhealthy. It's that they never believe that the skating fans will be at the arena all day watching everything even the practices. So most of the time, they don't even have concession stands open and you'd starve if you relied on them.
    I almost can't believe it, but its been over week, and I haven't gone OVER my calories a single day. This is a FIRST!
    That's fantastic. I haven't quite managed 80 oz every day but I haven't had any days under 64 oz. either so that's good.
    MacMadame- 30 miles! U rock!
    thanks! It's good to get some perspective. I was really on a roll before I got injured and I'm obsessing with what I haven't done and can't do any more. I forget sometimes what I am doing and have done!

Like I was moaning that I didn't exercise "at all" in Dec. but I actually exercised 2-3 hours a week. It just wasn't to the intensity or duration that I was used to so I was just discounting it all. Which is dumb. :laugh:

Right now I'm baking homemade energy bars. That way, I know what's in them! I also boiled up some eggs for the week so I can have hard-boiled eggs without having to make them all the time. I feel a need to make something else, but I can't figure out what... I still have baked goods from our party last week in the freezers and I really need more protein than baked goods.

I log my food as I go. I use the MFP iPhone app sometimes but I have computers everywhere so it's not hard to keep up, at least during the week. If I find myself "out and about" on the weekends, I might write stuff down in the notebook I keep in my purse.
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,

It's late, but just wanting to check in before I turn in.:yawn:

Today has been my hardest day - but I won :bigsmile: - I did not smoke - drank 80 oz. of water. :drinker: :drinker: :happy: Also stayed under my calories.

Nancy:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Oh, and can you all help me?

How do you find the time to log on your food. And do you do it as the day goes? Do you plan what you are going to eat in advance? I need help cause I don't write anything down anymore. Thank you, kc

:flowerforyou: kc, I plan my meals in advance and i try to eat a lot of the same things regularly so they show up as frequently used or recently used foods which makes it easier. I often post my food the night before or in the morning. sometimes I've kept a piece of paper handy so I can write things down so I don't forget before i get back to the computer.

I'm so glad to see you posting again. I'm sorry to hear about all the mess and construction in your kitchen....I'm glad you're back on track now.
    hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I managed to catch up on all the post reading, but this thread is getting so many members, I just can't respond to everyone specifically.

To all the newbies and anyone facing disappointment or adversity, my positive thoughts are with you. Hang in and don't give up. You CAN do this.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

To anyone who has posted their sucess--Congratulations!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Firetuck--If none of the solutions to the "problem" you described work for you, send me a PM. I can forward a recipe for a combination of fruit that both my parents swear by. It is a recipe from a nutrition book my mother has, and it is effective without being overwhelming, and totally natural.

As far as the "meeting of the great minds"--that would be the meeting between Barbiecat and myself, I am going to cheat here.:noway: I admit to copying and pasting from the post I did a little earlier today on the Golden Sneakers thread, so if you already read it, you don't have to do so again. ( It isn't THAT good!!:laugh: :laugh: )

".....Barbie and Jake and I had a wonderful dinner last night, and the company was wonderful as well. They showed me "before MFP" photos, and comparing those to the two of them in person, you can definitely see why their old self-given nicknames of " Roley" and "Poley" are outdated, and replaced with "Slim" and "Slimmer."

Getting to dinner was not without challenges. First, I attended the memorial gathering for my friend Al, who died on Christmas Day, and when it was over, I found myself in the apartment with Carol, his wife, and other family members. They had served Champagne during the gathering so that a toast could be done in Al's honor. There were several bottles remaining open, and since they had no stoppers, we had to "take care" of them. After 3 glasses, I decided I had to quit while I was ahead. By this time it was about 4:30pm, so I went home, which was only about 3 miles away, and decided to check the weather news to find out about Sunday. I turned on the tv and learned there was a serious accident involving a wrong way driver on the road I would normally take to get to the part of town where the hotel was. Information was still a little limited, but the map that was shown indicated the accident was east of where I am, so it appeared the backup would not affect me.

I convinced the doggies that momma was not running away from home forever and headed out for our meeting, and just as I was going to hit the freeway, I remembered " Hey, YOU never went to the store or the bank. You have almost NO CASH on you!!!" So, I stopped at Walmart, waited in line about 10 minutes to buy a magazine and bananas so I could access funds from my debit card. After standing there, when it came time to pull out my card, THAT is when I found the $20 bill that I didn't realized was still there!! Phooey!! Could have avoided the stop, after all.

So, I get on the freeway and as I am committing to the ramp that will take me west to my destination, here is a flashing sign, "accident --all lanes blocked --expect delays" "Oh goodie!! Now I am going to be stuck in a traffic jam instead of heading out for dinner." Obviously, the first reports about the location of the accident had been incorrect, it was west of me, not east.

I had no choice but to continue on that (limited access) road, and a little further down the road is another sign "wreck ahead." I could see about a mile up the road and there were nothing but brake lights. Fortunately, there was an exit between me and the stopped traffic, so I hopped off the freeway, and got on a surface street that would get me there. I called Barbie, for the 2nd time, to tell her I really WAS coming to meet them, but somebody up there didn't want me to get there very easily!!

Once I actually GOT there, we went on to have an evening of great conversation and excellent food. Lucky me, since B & J were travelling, and didn't have a refrigerator in their hotel room, I got the LEFTOVERS!! Truthfully, there weren't that many, but enough for a meal when combined with some more veggies. In another ironic twist, I REALLY didn't need to stop to get that money because Barbie and Jake insisted on treating me to dinner!! Thanks guys!!!

Despite the fact that I accused them on Friday of bringing rain to town with them, by Saturday afternoon, it had passed and the sun was actually out-- though it was not particularly warm. Sunday morning dawned pretty clear, so we moved forward with our plans to walk ourselves and my "three little pigs" along the path that runs east of the hotel where Barbie and Jake were staying.

We spent about an hour walking along the river, and the doggies got their share of "sniff time" and attention. I am sure we will all be staying in touch. Maybe there is a trip northward in my future. When Barbie and I discussed the possibility, we concluded with my three and her two dogs, it would be a "zoo."-- a very NOISY "zoo" at that!! "

Thank goodness I don't work on Monday. I have a bunch of things to do, and only one day to do them.

Have a good week, all.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options

My day skiing with my teenage children - even though skiing is a down the hill sport, I've never been to a ski area that did not have steps from the parking lot UP to the lodge and slopes. Yesterday was no exception. There were 4 flights of stairs. I was able to walk up the whole thing in one shot without having to stop for leg pain or to take a breather. It really made me committed to keep exercising and loosing the next 20 pounds. Last year I couldn't go from the very top to the very bottom without having to rest my legs. This year I could buzz all the way down without any problems. Being able to do something I love that I thought I'd never be able to do again is just such a wonderful feeling. This is probably the last year that I will be able to beat the kids down the hill. They are both taking after me with a natural ability to ski, but unlike me, they have less fear of going fast and falling. lol After all, I do have to show some sense for my age!

I logged just 2.5 hours of actual ski time and it was well over 900 calories even logging at a light effort. I went over 1300 calories yesterday, but with a 900+ margin, I was well under for the day.

jam0525 - I just read your post and I have to say something.

CONGRATULATIONS! How awesome is that? To be able to get up the 4 flights of stairs this time without having to stop for breathers. Obviously your body is in much better shape and you are really healthy.

I was very impressed with your day of downhill skiing AND logging OVER 900 CALORIES! WOW!!!

I am giving you a standing ovation! Way to go!!!
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    I am excited. 10 days on this program and I am down 4 pounds on my scales. I have a weight watcher's scale and i show parts of ponds so it may only show 3 on my ticker. Lasted teh whole weekend without drinking alcohol.

Exercised every day and was under my calorie count every day (some days by a lot). Yesterday I was the closest to making the calorie count and lost the most. So I guess you really do have to eat all you are supposed to eat. less is not more here.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone;

DebbieW: You must be here with me on the east cost side of the US to be logging on so early.

Way to go Jeanie with the skiing!

I lost almost another lb last week but I am most happy to report that my waist is down an inch! The place where I really want more improvement.

I want to keep things on track this week. I have another birthday this week and I want to gift myself by staying within my calories. I'm planning on going over and being with my 85 yr old mother. She's such a sweetie.

My husband & I are going through Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" course. Today we will be working on our "Family Budget". That's always a stressor. Thankfully we aren't in debt so that doesn't add to the issues we just need to really get a handle on where our money is really going.

My other goal for this week is to get my daily schedule in some kind of order. A week off for being sick, and the housework has been neglected. We aren't the most neat & organized people so if one person slacks off (even if it's due to sickness) is shows.
    Laundry needs to be done, vacuuming, basically busy work. I want to do my exercise in the afternoon, around the time when I hit my slump.

Well, I hope everyone has a productive day.

Barbie: Good picture of you & Barb! I know y'all had fun!

Cindy

smwert! Yeah & great going! Isn't it nice to see the scale move in the direction you want it to go!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    OK, true confessions time. Last week, when I got on the scales, I had gained 8 pounds over the holidays. Eight! Can you believe it?? Anyway, I gave myself until today to get it off, or I would have to put it on my ticker. I found that to be very motivating this week, and I worked my tail off. Oops, just looked. That may be an exaggeration - I do still have a tail. Anyway, as of this morning, my ticker is right! I lost them all! Here's to the new year! (But I'm wondering what I use for motivation this week!) :wink:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning Mary! Great going! I love your sense of humor and good attitude! Let me know what you think of as your motivating factor this week! Me, my BD is coming up & I want to be able to eat cake (coconut my daughter is going to make for me) without the guilt factor involved!

Cindy
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow -- 2 pages of posts since Saturday afternoon. This is a hopping thread! Barb and Barbie...your meeting/dinner sounds like a good time! How wonderful you got to meet face to face. I confess here and now to not having read all of the posts. I'm trying to be productive this morning so I'll get back later and do that!

Good news. After my official Monday AM weigh in my ticker is back to 38 pounds lost! My goal for this week is to pay more attention to sound nutrition and eating habits. Cook more healthy food, cut out the junk and fasting bouts I've been resorting to, and spread my calories out throughout the day better.

Hope everyone has a great Monday. :heart: Terri
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    I have been awol for a few days. I received a wonderful message from alice which reminded me that I needed to read and post. I skimmed the posts. There are so many. That is great. I am holding one to mostly good eating habits just not as much exercise as I would like. This COLD weather has really got me just concentrating on getting warm. Dont know how you northern girls do it every year. We are not used to this. I will keep posting and reading and that will keep me straight. Have a good Monday ladies. Great work for those losing and just jump back on to those who gained holiday weight. Great job on losing all of that holiday weight so quickly. Great motivation for me. Your new motivation is just to keep on going.
    Vicki M
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Vicki, I'm glad to hear from you again. I was thinking about you this weekend when we were in a hotel and how you have done some hotel trips and used the fitness room, and walked the stairs, and made good choices in the restaurants.:bigsmile: when you live in a cold climate, you're prepared for it with the right clothes and the right routines........when it gets hot here, I don't know what to do because I don't have the right clothes and we don't have air conditioning.

:flowerforyou: Terri, you continue to one of my inspirations. I'm glad to hear that you are back on track and have your wonderful positive attitude

:flowerforyou: if you ever have extra time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: it's fun to read everyone's profile......just click on the person's name above their picture and you can read more about them,,,,,,not all the profiles tell where the person comes from because there's a glitch that allows location to show up only if you put in a town.....some of us who want to be vague have put a symbol (* :) xxx) in the town section so the state or province will show up.......the profile page also may have as many as 18 photos.....my profile page has my before photo, pix of my pets and house, and a picture of Barb (weaklink) and me taken Saturday night when we met for dinner. The other thing you'll find on the profile is a button for sending a personal message, another button to add the person as a friend, and, in some cases, the opportunity to view the person's food diary.

:flowerforyou: Barb and I had a fabulous time together Saturday night at dinner but the highlight was the walk we took Sunday morning on the walking trail along the Columbia River with Mai Li, Pepper, and Bradley on their leashes. Even with me holding one of the leashes, the dogs were masters of changing places and getting tangled and taking up the whole path. I can't even imagine what it would have been like if we had had Brandy and Sasha with us.

:flowerforyou: I'm up early this morning and enjoying being in my nightgown at the computer......with no dogs to walk, I don't have to get dressed right away........we boarded the pets for the weekend of our trip and it's lonely without them......we'll pick them up sometime this morning.

:flowerforyou: Congrats to all of you who have lost and to those of you who have gotten back on track......drink some more water and keep up the focus :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

After Vietnamese food on Saturday and a Subway veggie delight for lunch tomorrow, I'm loaded with sodium so I'm off to drink some more water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Mary, you will have to tell us your secret for losing 8 pounds so quickly.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Barbie, I envy you. You sound like you are having so much fun.

:flowerforyou: Vicki M, maybe we are losing weight just trying to stay warm.:smile:
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Somebody PLEASE Help me.........I cant figure it out. I keep getting that stupid message aboutCalendar Date Select Error etc. etc. I am so frustrated. I want to log my food and exercise and it won't let me. I can't even open Add Smiley to put on my crying face. Does any one have ANY ideas on what to do? I tried changing the calander and time....to no avail. I am gonna go exercise and check back later, Rose

Have you tried going to the HELP tab at the top of the page ?? They list the most frequently asked questions and answers. Someone else may be having the same problem. If not, you can send a request for help from a technician. They usually get back to you within a day.......good luck.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Swissmiss: thanks for clearing up the DH mystery.

Couldn't hang on to the treadmill for a full hour today but I made it 45 min and burned 300 calories.

AACCKK !!! I just realized one slice of bacon has 42 calories !!!!!
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi to all,
    It's day 5 on the program and all is well - very very well, in fact. I am entering my food and exercise minutes faithfully and love the control that gives me.
    When I was younger whenever I needed to lose weight I was able to do it with a little effort and then I'd keep it off for years. Then in my mid-50's I quit smoking and went though a very stressful time of moving back to Greece, finding a job, etc. The weight started creeping on and though I made several serious attempts to get it off - once with a weight loss program and once with a nutritionist (both expensive and therefore limited) - nothing got me anywhere near my goal and when I quit going I gained back more than I'd lost.
    I got to my current state (medically described as obese) a few years ago after I slipped and injured my back which resulted in a major attack of sciatica. I was in treatment for about 18 months and the only time I wasn't in pain seemed to be when I was sleeping or eating. Exercise was pretty much out of the question. I am OK now but the additional weight is terrible for back, my knees and my breathing. So although I have always been a very SLOW loser, I have a great motivation for doing so. This program is giving me the tools, the insight on what works and what doesn't, and the support of all of you who share.
    Thanks to all of you, Carol

You picked a great group to join. Everyone is very helpful and inspirational. We share more than diet and weight loss tips. I feel like these ladies could be my best friends if they lived close enough to visit.

Welcome and good luck. It is a daily challenge, but together we can do it.