WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Turns out I DID get my strength training done and then hubby and I went out to lunch and to shop for his brother a birthday present. I ordered the vegetable plate. Tonight is another hurdle: cake and ice cream for his birthday. I plan to eat an apple or something before we go.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    debianne - HFCS = high fructose corn syrup. I used to love making my own bread in my bread machine. However, down here we can only get the bread machine yeast. What I want is the active rise. I used to be able to get that yeast in a jar. The difference between the active rise and the bread machine is that the active rise it appears you can add to wet AND dry ingredients, whereas the bread machine yeast you can only add to the dry ingredients. However, since I only use the active dry once or twice a year for another type of bread, I just may start using the bread machine yeast. A friend of mine made these Earl Grey shortbread cookies. They really did taste like Earl Grey, too.

kjenks - welcome. Trust me, as time passes, posting will become more and more easy for ya. Best of luck!

MacMadame - I do find that I wish there was a place where you can input information about an item you are logging. For example, I was just looking for "brownie". I could only find the description "one piece" or something like that. I wish there was a place for notes such as "1" x 1" or from XXX magazine M/Y issue", that sort of thing. It would be nice, too, if there was just one list of frequently eaten foods, rather than a list for breakfast, one for lunch, another for dinner, and a fourth for snacks. But I can live with that. It IS nice that there isn't so much rig-a-ma-roll to input foods, and others can verify it, not just a moderator. Everyone makes mistakes inputting nutritionals (I know I have), but it's so nice that someone else can modify your input.

Davielee - don't worry too much about the weight. It's more important that you remain smoke free. That is a BIG BIG accomplishment. I remember seeing a site where it tells you daily how much you've saved, how much you've extended your life, etc. Does anyone know what site this is?

DebbieW - loved your post to kjenks. Had to tell ya. Just loved it -- and so true! You know, one thing I've always wondered is how does one determine what a healthy weight goal is? I know what weight I'd like to be at ..... but my body doesn't want to go there. Oh, it could....but there will be consequences which just aren't worth it. I'm happy where I am. I feel good, I feel I have energy, I know my body, I can't think of anything I can't do (outside of being more flexible, that is).

mamacindy81 - My dd is 25 and I think (although she really hasn't said it but she's alluded to it) she feels that her biological time clock is running out. It really doesn't help any that I was married at 23. But I'm proud that she wants to get her career in order before getting married. You know, I have a cousin who when she was a teenager, she would get sick at the sight of blood, even the blood from her period. She became an OR nurse. Go figure!

Congrats pjsmom! What is your RHR right now. How did you take it?

bradybrooks - I've found that FOR ME, if I have something to eat late at night, I can be assured of a weight gain the next day. Now I've heard conflicting info "you body doesn't know what time it is, a calorie is a calorie" etc. But this is just me. Yes, I gained around the holidays, too (too many cookies and other junk foods) but I'm amazed at how fast it came down. OK, I probably gained around 10 lbs, and as of today I'm down about 5. I find that FOR ME I gain weight if I add the calories in that I burn during exercise, so I log my exercise/water consumption in the journal area. At one point I was adding my exercise (so it added calories to the total for the day) and I not only sometimes had a hard time eating all the calories back, but I found that in order to get my calories up I wound up eating junk food. So now I try to stay to the calorie goal w/o the exercise and if I go over a bit, in the back of my mind I know that that's ok.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Today is the first day of my new life. I've never posted anything online. It feels uncomfortable sharing something so personal, but I'm determined to change my life. I haven't fully participated in life for a very long time. I've been so self conscious about my weight and suffered from such low self-esteem that I've avoided anything that might cause me embarrassment. I feel that I've spent my time watching other people live life. I'm so tired of feeling like life is passing me by. I must change.

I look forward to reading the posts. I think this will help me and hopefully, I can encourage others along the way.

I started on MFP in January, and I was so shy it took me until April to post anything. It gets easier, and it does help. You can do this, and you are worth it! You go!

Hey, teammates! Just wanted to tell you that I have started the first Monday of the New Year with a bang - came home from work, did 30 minutes on my Wii fit, went swimming for 30 minutes, and I'm getting ready for supper and to watch the TCU football game. Go Horned Frogs! And Happy Monday to all!!
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So Mom got out of the hospital today and I got her settled and made my way back home. It's great to be back in my own house and I'm looking forward to being back into a regular routine. I did fine while I was gone though - exercised every day, logged my calories and stayed within my limits. YEA!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

My RHR now is 64. Scary to think how high it was!

firetruck--So glad your mom is back home!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kathy(pmjsmom)
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Thanks to Barbiecat for helping me get back on the thread. Well, all 14 of my children did make it this Christmas!!! It was the most wonderful time we've had in a long time. Altogether there were 26 of us. It took several days for my son from SC to get here. At times when they reached Nebraska they could only travel 5 mph. They made the most of it though and everyone made it here safely.
    It is good to be back. I'm challenged to keep going and have started walking on my treadmill again. One of my daughters gave us Wii Fit for Christmas! I kind of poo-pooed it because it didn't seem like it was really that much of a workout...but after doing it for 25 minutes this morning, I can really feel it several places on my body!! It is fun at any rate and a good tool.
    We have four birthdays in January so I need to stick with wise choices and not give in to birthday cake, 4X no less!!
    It is good to see several new friends. This is a good place to be and you will find encouragements and helps each day. I'm looking forward to losing another 25 pounds in the next few months! Have a good night!!:flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So Mom got out of the hospital today and I got her settled and made my way back home.
    Yeah!

And I went to the gym today so Yeah for me! :laugh:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies, well I am definitely back on track only went over 23 calories before exercise.:smile: I just finished Leslie Sansone 4 mile intensity walk and the 1 mile muscle walk and burned over 600 calories.:happy:
    :noway: Boy was I sweating like a…… I guess you get the picture.
    :wink: To all the ladies who have seen my old ticker and have noticed it has been replaced by 2 babygaga ones, I am not going to show how much weight I have lost until I get back to what I weighed before the holidays.
    :love: The new tickers are for my daughter in-law and daughter . Hopefully I will be able to replace my daughters baby gaga ticker with my weight loss on January 19. (that is when her c-section is scheduled)
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to….
    :smooched: Louise, committed, Susan, Debbie W, Barbara, Kathy, Firetuck, exermom, clwasmer, 54kitty, kjenks,
    Davilee, dricotta1, Did I miss anyone?
    :drinker: Welcome back doobiedoo, fabulocity, AliceLMS
    :heart: Thank you all for the support and prayers. I could not have gotten back on track without the inspiration and support I get from reading all of your posts.
    :smile: I was so relieved to hear so many who have been ill are now on their way to recovery. I will keep you all in my prayers.
    :yawn: Getting sleepy now, 5am is going to come mighty fast.zzzzzzzzzzz :heart: Love (((Hugs))) and Prayers, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :bigsmile: P.S. Barb, with our family growing like it is (ain't it wonderful) we need to have them up the 500 post limit. The way we are going we could reach it by mid January:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

exermom---:flowerforyou:

Since Kathy didn't answer your question, I will try to --here are instructions from exercise.about.com:

"Before you get out of bed in the morning, take your pulse for 1 full minute, counting each heart beat to find your beats per minute (bpm). To take your pulse, use one of the following methods:

1. Place your index and middle fingers directly under your ear, then slide your fingers down until they are directly under your jawbone, pressing lightly.
    2. Place your index and middle fingers over the outside of your opposite wrist, just below the base of your thumb.

For a more accurate measurement, take your pulse for 3 mornings and take an average. A normal RHR for adults is between 60-100, although exercisers and athletes may have lower RHR (the lower it is, the more fit you are). If your RHR is over 100, you should call your doctor to get checked out."

Also, Alice--:flowerforyou:

Beautiful picture.
    I am trying not to think about the fact that I go back to work tomorrow. Guess the holidays are officially "over":frown: :ohwell:

Today I took all my recycling to the area in our community where it is collected. I inadvertently forgot a bag of garbage that was 98% non recyclable dry refuse, with a couple of food containers in it that couldn't be recycled. I came back to my home after about 10 minutes to find the "pesties"--led by Bradley, of course:grumble: --had scattered trash all over the dining room floor that I just vacuumed last night!! I am beginning to think that I should rename these guys "the naughties" as Barbiecat refers to her doggies. I actually only have one "naughty"--that is Bradley the Yorkshire "Terror." The other two don't go looking for trouble, but if he manages to create it, they are willing participants!!! Guess he is just a natural "leader":laugh: :laugh: If only we could get him to use his powers for GOOD!!!:ohwell:

Well, I have more to do yet tonight, so have a good evening all, and you probably won't see me on here as often now that I am going to be working again.

I think we have a few more newbies on here that I haven't specifically welcomed, so "WELCOME" to all of you!!:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all and welcome to everyone one new to MFP and to this forum!

I was too sick to go skiing today. bummer. Instead my kids and I went bowling and to the movies.

Today is day 2 of living on just the 1300 calories and I am full.

Have a great evening all and I will try to catch up on reading all the posts tomorrow.

Jeannie
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

My RHR now is 64. Scary to think how high it was!

Add--(because the oven timer went off and I forgot before!) I took it both with the wrist method AND at my neck. I did it again this AM and it was pretty much the same (62)

firetruck--So glad your mom is back home!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kathy(pmjsmom)
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

My daughter is still in the hospital. She thinks she is going to get to home tomorrow, but I'm not that optimistic. She is still on oxygen, but is showing a lot of improvement. She definitely sounds a lot better. She calls me about every two hours - she knows I'm worried about her - it's the first time she has been in the hospital that I haven't been there 24/7. Her sister is staying with her at night and her co-workers are checking on her during the day so that helps.

Today has been a little frustrating supposed to have all of our end of the month financials completed and submitted by Wednesday morning and we had some contractors at work that cut our main line for the network. Since we all have laptops I sent everyone home to work.. Everyone is working at home tomorrow too since the repairs haven't been made yet.:frown: We can all connect to the network from home, but we can't print which is really going to be a pain, hard on the eyes to read from the screen and flip back and forth to what you're doing, but I'm not going to stress - it was suggested by my boss that we all head to Atlanta - don't think so. :grumble: I have no desire to drive 6 1/2 hours and then have to work all night, plus we are expecting snow - and I do not want to get stuck in Atlanta since I'm not too keen on driving in East TN with the mountains to contend with. Bad enough without ice and snow. The south is not a good place to be when it snows. :laugh: We can all go to MS which is closer, but I think I'll just stay put and deal with the eye strain - MS is supposed to get the snow first.:smile:

I am proud of myself have not smoked and only went over my daily calories by 37 - I can live with that. Drinking lots of water:drinker:

Nancy:heart:
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    Morning all! I'm entering day 8 of a 10 day detox. I awoke hungry and was extrememly tempted to chunk it all and make a big breakfast, but bit the bullet and ate almonds and fresh fruit instead. With only 3 days to go it does seem sorta foolish to stop now.

Hubby is off today so making time to do strength training is gonna be a challenge. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sue, can I ask you what kind of diet youre on? I'm still looking for something that fits my lifestyle and tastes, so I'm a very curious kitty:flowerforyou:
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    Laurel
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies, well I am definitely back on track only went over 23 calories before exercise.:smile: I just finished Leslie Sansone 4 mile intensity walk and the 1 mile muscle walk and burned over 600 calories.:happy:
    :noway: Boy was I sweating like a…… I guess you get the picture.
    :wink: To all the ladies who have seen my old ticker and have noticed it has been replaced by 2 babygaga ones, I am not going to show how much weight I have lost until I get back to what I weighed before the holidays.
    :love: The new tickers are for my daughter in-law and daughter . Hopefully I will be able to replace my daughters baby gaga ticker with my weight loss on January 19. (that is when her c-section is scheduled)
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to….
    :smooched: Louise, committed, Susan, Debbie W, Barbara, Kathy, Firetuck, exermom, clwasmer, 54kitty, kjenks,
    Davilee, dricotta1, Did I miss anyone?
    :drinker: Welcome back doobiedoo, fabulocity, AliceLMS
    :heart: Thank you all for the support and prayers. I could not have gotten back on track without the inspiration and support I get from reading all of your posts.
    :smile: I was so relieved to hear so many who have been ill are now on their way to recovery. I will keep you all in my prayers.
    :yawn: Getting sleepy now, 5am is going to come mighty fast.zzzzzzzzzzz :heart: Love (((Hugs))) and Prayers, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :bigsmile: P.S. Barb, with our family growing like it is (ain't it wonderful) we need to have them up the 500 post limit. The way we are going we could reach it by mid January:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks so much for the greeting, :flowerforyou: I so appreciate everyone being so welcoming..I feel really comfortable here. :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: We had a lovely lunch today at a local Chinese restaurant and I splurged on curry chicken and even my modest sized lunch was almost 900 calories and over 3000 mg of sodium (maybe, since I could only approximate from the food data base----I always estimate high). A couple of 20 minute rides on the exercise bike, some strength training, a walk at the dog park, a couple of miles with Leslie Sansone and I matched the food calories with exercise.

:flowerforyou: diane, welcome back, it's good to have you with us
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    This is part two----the first part posted without my permission :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Cindy, congrats on the weight loss:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Fabulocity, it's great to see you again:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: firetuck, I'm so glad to hear that your mom is out of the hospital.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: doobiedoo, glad to have you back.......I'll be thinking of you as you say "NO" to birthday cake four times this month and many times in the future.:bigsmile:

I have to be up at 5 AM to get to a meeting at 7 AM so it's long past my bedtime............tomorrow will be a more sensible eating day. and certainly a lot less sodium.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs and pleasant dreams:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie

:flowerforyou: Rose, I love the pix of your grandbabies........you'll be back on the weight loss road in no time.....you know how to do it. I'll be watching for us to reach the 500 post mark and let everybody know how to find us when the time comes....isn'tis great that our family has grown so much :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I'm glad your daughter is on the road to recovery
  • clwasmer
    clwasmer Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good Morning All, Thank you so much for starting this thread, (what fun) on this journey!
  • ccs_gr
    ccs_gr Posts: 7
    Options
    Today I decided enough and am back on my program counting calories and exercise credits. This morning I also faced the scale for the first time in months and the news was depressing but the fact that I've faced up to it and have set some goals makes me feel better. I won't say it's a New Year's Resolution (a setup to fail for me) but I want to lose 1 lb a week for the next 50 weeks. While 167 is not an ideal weight for my height it's a lot better than 217! I have some health issues so this is really not optional. I am also committed to posting a message on my progress every week.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Today I decided enough and am back on my program counting calories and exercise credits. This morning I also faced the scale for the first time in months and the news was depressing but the fact that I've faced up to it and have set some goals makes me feel better. I won't say it's a New Year's Resolution (a setup to fail for me) but I want to lose 1 lb a week for the next 50 weeks. While 167 is not an ideal weight for my height it's a lot better than 217! I have some health issues so this is really not optional. I am also committed to posting a message on my progress every week.

Glad you found us. Welcome! You can do this, and we are here to help!
  • arborsong
    Options
    :happy: Barbie - you're such fun!!!

I did so great yesterday morning, then...........everything fell apart at the office and I was doomed for the afternoon. However, telephone calls kept me occupied in the evening so I wasn't tempted to snack. Got to watch those demons at the office that upset my goals..........and got to keep drinking that water.

I have my regular Tues appt with the trainer today. She helps keep me in line with exercise.....and asks for my exercise journal to see what I've done in the past week. Accountability.....it works.

Have a fun day!