WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• terichandler
    terichandler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    okay, I've read several posts and am feeling motivated just listening to you ladies. Weight has been a problem most of my life, but then memopause hit. UGH. What the heck. I want to be commited to loosing weight and eating healthier this year. Sweets are a real struggle for me, almost like an addiction. A little only makes me want more. lots more. I've always been able to lose lbs. but never able to keep them off for very long. however, once the big 50 hit (two years ago) the weight has been coming on slowly but surely. Keep up all the encouragement. God bless you all. and happy healthy New Year.
  • arborsong
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Many thanks to all of you for your encouragement on drinking water. That is my biggest downfall and you've inspired me to get serious about having a water bottle in my hand at all times!

Louise
  • losingweightforme
    Options
    Hi I have been reading through this thread and really enjoy all the posts and the encouragement. I am not new to MFP but am restarting for 2010. I joined last March and lost around 42 pounds. It is a new year and I want to finish my weight loss journey this
    year and start maintaing. My name is Lisa. I have five soon to be six grandchildren. They all will be with me in late May or early June hopily. I want to be able to tire them out by just playing playing playing. I slacked off late June last year and gained back 15 pounds.

My goals this week are to drink at least 64 ounces water a day and get my exercising back on track. I will work on my food but going to gradually ease it back down and get things on control by next week. I also am going to try to log on everyday and be an encourager as well as read encouragement. I would like to lose at least 20 pounds by my 51st birthday on April 19th - then another 20 pounds by September if not before.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    okay, I've read several posts and am feeling motivated just listening to you ladies. Weight has been a problem most of my life, but then menopause hit. UGH. What the heck. I want to be committed to loosing weight and eating healthier this year. Sweets are a real struggle for me, almost like an addiction. A little only makes me want more. lots more. I've always been able to lose lbs. but never able to keep them off for very long. however, once the big 50 hit (two years ago) the weight has been coming on slowly but surely. Keep up all the encouragement. God bless you all. and happy healthy New Year.

I was pretty much in the same place this time last year. I had a hysterectomy in Dec 2006 and was using it as an excuse for not being able to lose weight. In mid- February I went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked thinking maybe THAT was why I never seemed to be able to lose. Did I ever get a wake up call! The doctor told me everything was normal and to, "Eat less, and exercise more." Ouch! He is the one who told me about MFP. It wasn't long until I realized I was eating WAY more calories than I thought.

This past year I have learned to identify my trigger foods and avoid them like the plague. For me it is not just sweets (I love em) but all simple carbs (the white stuff, bread, sweets, highly processed grains, potatoes) that trigger my food cravings. This may not work for you, but what helped me get off them is the following: Take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar immediately before or after every meal or snack. It tastes nasty, but will kill your carb cravings. After a month or so you should be able to stop taking it. Second, I only eat simple carbs one day a week and then only a few bites and only with protein. I use whole grain products in moderation throughout the week. I use Splenda or Stevia in place of sugar. And I have learned a few recipes that allow me to enjoy a treat without starting up all those cravings again. (If you'll click on my name all my former posts will come up and you should be able to scroll through them and find the recipes on an earlier 50+ thread. You'll also find how many times I made the mistake of eating the wrong things and then having to start over before this new way of eating became a lifestyle. ) this is a great tip if you find someone on the thread who seems to be dealing with the same thing you are. Just click on their name and you can read ALL of their posts in one place.

Another thing I have learned is the importance of eating at least one serving EVERY day of the following foods:spinach, broccoli, berries, avocados, almonds or walnuts, olives and/or olive oil. I've also learned to drink one ounce of water for every 2 pounds I weigh. (50 ounces if you weigh 100 lbs). I also exercise every day but Sunday. Strength training twice a week and cardio the other days.

It has not been easy. My metabolism isn't what it used to be. Some weeks I only loose 1/2 a pound. Others I lose nothing at all. But it IS happening. So hang in there and establish some healthy habits. Menopause may make it more difficult to lose, but the ladies on this thread have proven to me its DOABLE. :tongue:

Speaking of the ladies on this thread: hats off to all you ladies who manage to reply to us all :flowerforyou: You are awesome!
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    I am 55. 5 years ago for my 50th birthday I lost 38.5 pounds. I now have gained back 35 of it. I gained 20 pounds last year alone- menopause, my father died, my boss of 31 years left, etc.

I am motivated to lose it this year. My goal is 125. So that is 25 pounds to lose. I am only 5 feet tall and at 125 all my clothes will fit.

We are going to Florida in mid Feb so I really want to be down 12 pounds by then - 6 weeks - should be able to do it.

My problem is the weekends. I am good all week and lose 2/3 pounds and by Monday I have gained them back.

I did not have any alcohol this weekend. A new thing for me. I feel lighter already.

My husband is going to quit smoking today and I am counting calories. So perhaps he can motivate me and I can motivate him. Also he is skinny and can eat whatever he wants and I love to cook for him. So I am often making 2 different meals.

:embarassed: Wish me luck

susan
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning everyone…I am back thanks to Barbie.:smile: She has led me home once again.
    :ohwell: December was a bad month for me, I found out my husband and my mother in-law are both having health issues. I was dealing with my usual December depression and a lot of stress at work. I am so glad to see a New Year and to be able to continue with my family at MFP.
    :drinker: A toast (with water) to all of those starting out new this year and to those of us continuing on our journey to a healthier life.
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to our new friends and welcome back to those of us who have strayed.
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations to those who were able to maintain, lose or not gain toooo much.
    :flowerforyou: All my prayers for those with health issues and with family so far away with health issues.
    :bigsmile: My goal for January is to stay on track, drink my water and exercise while dealing with my husbands diabetes (his non-compliance with diet and exercise) and the possibility of him doing dialysis, my mother in-laws cancer and the conflict in schedules concerning her treatments and the birth my grand daughter.
    :frown: My mother in-law has two other sons who live in another state. We have always been close and she really wants me to be with her during these treatments, she is afraid of getting sick and trusts only me to take care of her.
    :flowerforyou: I hope everyone has a wonderful week. :heart: Love (((hugs))) and prayers for all, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    good morning everyone!

Well this new day finds me with chest congestion. It's weird, no cold symptoms just dry cough and a very deep sexy voice (Ha!)

But I have started off with some chicken soup loaded with garlic. ooh, I can hardly stand myself.

And I feel excited to read all the posts and see so many new faces! I hope that the new year will be productive for us all and that we will continue to lean on each other for the support we need.

Prayers for the sick and those of us who have trials to contend with. Rose I will pray especially for your husband and his non-compliance issues. We all know how hard it is not to eat the things we want & crave most.

Cindy
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I am trying to think positive today. My daughter does have pneumonia, but I know she is in good hands. Her twin sister is staying with her and keeping me updated regularly. The hospital she is in is full so she is still in the emergency room. Her sister says that is probably a good thing so if she has problems breathing she can get help quick. Her oxygen level is in the 90's this morning which is wonderful news.

As of today I have quit smoking for the final time. My plans are to replace my urge to smoke with walking, drinking water and cinnamon candy - I have to check the calories on these, but I think they're only 10 calories each. Today will be tough, but I know I can do it.:happy:

I received a subscription for the Cooking Light magazine for Christmas so I'm looking forward to making low calorie good for you meals this year. My downfall is sweets, so I will be experimenting to find something to satisfy my sweet tooth without adding a lot of unhealthy calories.

68797.png
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning again,

54kitty: Your photo just makes me smile. Why did you decide on that one?

Nancy: prayers for your daughter and the quitting smoking

Susan: For quitting smoking, I pray for your resolve & strength to do this. come here any time you need to vent. You can add this message board to the things you can do to reset your mind on better things!

cindy
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Hello all you awesome ladies!
    I am brand new to mfp so please, let me introduce myself.
    My name is Debbie and I turned 50 last September. I actually feel really proud to be 50. It feels like I've earned a badge. I guess I have when I look back on every thing I have done. I am especially proud to be a mother.
    I have realized over the past few years that the pounds have been creeping up on me. I'm going through menopause and I am hypothyroid. I love to enjoy good, gourmet food and a nicely chilled glass of white wine. So, now I sit and look at my belly, yuk. I have put on 25 extra lbs. This is not how I pictured being "Fab at 50 ". I want to show the world that being 50 is awesome! I stumbled upon this site and the more I check it out, the more I love it. I'm really jazzed up now that I can hold myself more accountable and I get to chat with other women that are just like me, trying to get healthier.
    I look forward to reading your messages. Have a healthy and happy 2010 everyone!
  • debieanne
    Options
    good morning to all. day is staring out slow it is still snowing lightly.. just love this winter last night did a little over eating wii today says i went up a little hum i knew that pizza was to good. when i was eating that last peice it was saying you don't really need me... but it was so good you know sometime we just get a pizza that came out so good cheeseie lots of green and red peppers some hot sausage.. oh i am bad.. richard cds are really calling my name today... i love dancing with them..
    welcome debbiew motivation here is so the best
    commited do you do any crafts my daughter turn to crafts to help her with wanting to have that cig and walking good luck we are here for you so post much
    cindy hope that you are feeling better chicken soups sounds good
    rose we had the same kind of mth remember me time for yourself it is so inportant it feels good to be back here prayers for you and your famiy
    susan you and your hubby have new year goals toghter best of luck
    susan nice picture the sugars you use know what is the differnt i have been thinking about changing but i remeber lots of storys about all the sugars so now its time to learn what is really a good and what is really a bad
    losingweightforme i like this name i have always done it for everyone else and your right we are doing it for us
    louise a nice water bottle and some come with straws it helps looking a something pretty
    to anyone i have not mention everyone we are all here together and evern when we say just a little we all give motivation and suppost and it means a lot and i know i say this a lot but thank you all again for sharing your storys love debieanne and family
  • arborsong
    Options
    :flowerforyou: SuzyQ - You are my inspiration for 2010 !!! Thank you for you post today. I devoured every single word. I'm going to print it AND go back through your old posts, too !!! I appreciate your willingness to share your "secrets". I weigh the same today that I did exactly 2 years ago. At least, I'm not going up, but I'm surely not going down. Thanks a gazillion!!!

Louise
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Committed – I hope your daughter recovers quickly. Keep us posted.

Kitty – Welcome and good luck with meeting your goals this month.

Elfie, Terichandler, Lisa, DebbieW – Welcome and glad you found us! Just posting your food accurately and on a regular basis helped me. Logging the exercise is good to as it testifies to a lifestyle change to be more active.

SuzyQ- Reading your post brought back memories to Fall 2008. I was so sure it was my thyroid I originally joined MFP so I could have a food log for my doctor to get my health plan to approve a new thyroid test. After 2 months of logging food I was back at my doctor’s telling her I really did eat enough to weigh what I did. That’s for the reminder of what it is all about for me.

Susan- Welcome. I use to do the two meal thing, but I’ve changed it into one meal, but I just don’t eat everything I made. I also cook healthier in general and measure out portions for my plate.

To everyone - I know that each of you have the strength to face what is before you today and I pray that you find that strength as you face things from drinking enough water to caring for family and facing family illnesses and challenges.

Jeannie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,495 Member
    Options
    Dear Committed,

Hope your daughter's recovery is quick and complete.

Don't mean to make light, but maybe you could "borrow" her pneumonia to help you quit?

What I mean, is...I tried quitting many many times, but it wasn't til I got pneumonia that I actually did.
    Even then, needed help (Nicorette) for a long time.

I've been smoke free now for more than 10 years, after smoking for 30.

When the cravings get tough, think of your daughter and take a walk or do something physical for 10 minutes.

Warmest best wishes,
    Barbara
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,495 Member
    Options
    Did something today I've never done before. . . poured 4 oz of perfectly good Coca Cola down the drain.

Shouldn't have opened it in the first place, but that's no excuse for drinking it ALL!

;}
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    I think I am finally back on track for real. we woke up this morning and went to the gym for the first time in several weeks. Had a great workout. Came home and climbed up and down the ladder in the barn to put the Christmas deco up top. Now we are going to have lunch. I will have a salad. I have re-learned about myself that I have this all or nothing attitude. When I was cheating for holidays I should have just kept working out and then started back eating right but I eat wrong and stop exercising also. I am working on that. If I can change that I will have won that battle. I tried to read all of the posts. Just skimmed cause there are so many. So glad to have all of the new people. Welcome, you will love this site. for those of us that have been together for this past year I look forward to another year of reaching goals and maintaining. Barbie let me know how your maintaince plan works. That has always been hard for me. Have a good day.
    Vicki M
  • leggi002
    leggi002 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Nice thread - pages and pages of posts were too many to browse through to get a feel for all of us, but hopefully will get a chance to do that day by day.

I'm down 50 lbs from this time last year, but up just a pound over the Christmas/New Year's week so overall feeling positive.

Special challenges when we're 50+, hot flashes during workouts being the least of them, but you get to be in a really small group of 50+ runners if you enter a race so you have a decent chance of placing!

Kathy
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Hello everyone. This is my third day. I think I am finally ready to commit to losing the weight. Went shopping at 10:20 and was offered lunch out and opted to come home and eat my salad. Hurrah for me.

susan
    :happy:
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Susan - you sound just like me! I lost a bunch of weight for my "50th"a few years ago and then proceeded to put it all back on. And my husband is skinny and can eat a dozen cookies in one sitting and not gain a pound. Ugh! Good for you for opting out of lunch out. It all starts with those kind of decisions!! Way to go girl!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Barbara, thank you for your nice message. I'm glad you found my food diary and figured out how to rename your meals......isn't that a cool feature? There are so many new people on this thread that I decided to introduce myself to everyone at once.

Hubby and I been married for 20 years when we got tired of being Roley and Poley. He found Isagenix and immediately began to lose weight as I watched with open minded skepticism. I saw his energy level rise from nap taking couch potato to self starter and heard people marvel at his rapid weight loss. Meanwhile I found MFP and used all the great features to keep us both on track and log my food and exercise every day. Later he set up his own MFP account and now logs his own food and exercise. I lost weight along with him and finally joined him using the Isagenix program
    In ten months I lost 65 pounds and went from size 16 to size 4 and nobody was more surprised than I was when the saleswoman in a store, said “I don’t think we have anything here that will fit you, you’re so tiny” Now we call ourselves Slim and Slimmer

I retired five years ago from teaching first grade in public school. We moved from Northern California to NW Washington and I found line dance classes right away. Now I dance three mornings a week and have lately tried my hand at teaching a few dances.

We recently gave up RV travel which we'd been doing for five years and decided to go back to traveling by auto or plane. We have two Standard Poodles, Brandy (black) and Sasha (red). They got the nickname of "the Naughties" because they ignore all my directions when they are chasing birds at the off leash dog park. We have two cats, a young, part Maine Coon named Bernie, and an older black and white named Haifa.

I live with my soul mate, the love of my life, Jake. We've had many of the ups and downs of being married but we continue to nail our feet to the floor and walk through everything because we can't imagine life without each other. He recently came out of retirement to go back to work as an Isagenix consultant so he can share the miracle of his over 50 pound weight loss and new burst of energy with others.

I am so glad to see so many new members on this thread and to see all of us who have been around awhile continuing to walk this amazing path together.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie