WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• arborsong
    Options
    Happy Birthday tomorrow , Sharon!!!

SuzyQ - congrats are definitely in order - 4 sizes since last year - you are my hero!!!!

Sharon - you may be limited to upper body exercises - weights are a good possibility.

Louise

ps - whoa - just when I went to 'post', I saw a new photo of Suzy Q - looks fab-u-lous!!!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If I hurry I can still say Good Morning to you all!

Actually got up at 6:30 and have been busy ever since.

I've been doing good things, Got my exercise in although I need to burn around 40 more calories to get to my 200 calorie burn per day. (Probably a leisurely walk later in the day).

I've got a little bit of chest congestion going on. Don't really know why, I haven't had a cold but I would like it to hurry up & leave.

Hubby is home today so I don't know if I will post again. I'll be doing good to log my calories.

My daughter asked me to make her a chocolate birthday cake. The one she wants is loaded with calories so I hope I will have the willpower to stay out of it. It's a new one that had chopped up crystallized ginger in it so maybe I just won't like it. I tasted some of the ginger and to me it tastes like soap.

Well I hope you all have a good day!

Cindy
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat--I really like your idea of putting your goals into your signature so I did that, too! :happy: Now I'll see it every time I post!

Got the tree down and today I plan on getting the outside decorations put away.:tongue:

Kathy(pmjsmom)
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options

How do you make losing weight fun? I know and have the goals, and I know the rewards are losing the weight, getting fit and wearing slim clothes that make me look like a million bucks, but...... my challenge is "in the moment". That thing called "every day life". :frown:

How do you do that part?

Renny

One of Barbie's favorite quotes is "The reason most people fail rather than succeed... is that they trade what they want MOST....for what they want at the MOMENT":flowerforyou:

That quote has helped me to ask myself "in the MOMENT"...."Is this REALLY what I want MOST?" Kind of a reality....."Step back and regroup before you take a bite" mentality, which has helped me stay focused. :flowerforyou:

As far as FUN....I only eat what I enjoy! :tongue: I don't eat foods that I hate! :grumble: So the first thing I did, when I started my journey with MFP in August...and I continue to do....is to find new foods that I like and that are healthy for me. :flowerforyou: This requires you to try new things...like hommus for eg. Some love it ...some hate it....but you don't know until you TRY it! :wink: Also, some people post different recipes that suggest foods that you may not be familiar with or think you may not like. There's a thread which is all about recipes. Be open to try new things. This way, you'll find things you enjoy, which = fun,:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: and you'll lose weight.
    EG. I am having someone over for dinner tomorrow. My husband will pick up a pie or something for dessert and my guest will probably bring something sweet. (I LOVE sweets) So, I will make some sugar Free Strawberry geletin with fresh fruit, like bananas (I love ripe bananas) and have some lite cool whip on hand. Even though I may LIKE what they're having, I will have something else without feeling like a martyr.. If you don't enjoy what you're eating....you won't do it consistently.
    I hope that helps!
    OFF MY SOAP BOX NOW:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Barbie for the January thread:flowerforyou:

Happy New Year to all. :flowerforyou: I have not read all the posts yet but will try to before the day is out.:wink:

I wanted to lose 35 lbs in 2009 and I've lost 34!:bigsmile: :blushing: I'm very happy with that! But what I'm HAPPIER with, is my FOCUS has changed. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: My body weight has been all over the place for 61 years....but when my FOCUS is right....the weight follows. :happy: I keep a check on what I'm THINKING:devil: ....even before I check what I'm EATING.:tongue: Food thoughts..lead to slip ups if I don't replace the "food thought" with a "goal thought".

So my goal this year is to keep a healthy focus, to remain accountable and to lose the last 15 lbs that I'd like to lose.:drinker: :drinker:

God Bless!!!
    BirdieM:heart:
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    I too have put my goals in my signature! I think this will help keep me more mindful of what I want to do.

Pretty picture SuzzyQ. You look happy!

Birdie: I am impressed and know you are grateful for what you accomplished this past year.

Now I need to figure out what we are going to have for supper. My son wants chinese but I think it is too cold to venture out & too expensive.

Cindy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody!!

Well the latest on the possible meeting between me and Barbie(cat) is that it is now a probability. I talked to her and to Jake (her hubby who posts on the Golden Sneakers thread) last night and we made arrangements to go to dinner next Saturday night while they are visiting my town.

Barbie is just as motivating on the phone as she is on the thread!!! :drinker: :drinker: And Jake likes my writing style and my jokes, :noway: so of course, I think he has good taste!!!:laugh: :laugh: I hope the week will fly by, as I am looking forward!!!

VickiM-:flowerforyou:

Just realized that I didn't post after I read about your son in law's grandmother. Sorry to hear of his loss.

Debieanne- :flowerforyou:

The J Geils concert sounded like fun. I remember they always seemed to have a lot of energy in their music. Also, in your later post you mentioned "let it snow"--made me think about one good thing about snow--it has no calories!!!!:noway: :laugh:

Lianne-:flowerforyou:

You are progressing nicely from your surgery. I hope the PT will help you move the process along so you can get on with your healthier life!!

Barbara(AuntieBK)-:flowerforyou:

I THINK I said "Welcome" in December, but if I didn't consider it said!! Now we have three Barbara's on here--you, Barbie(cat) and me. They say good things come in three's, right??:bigsmile:

I enjoy your tag line "Wag more, bark less"--would be a good motto for my crew, but they seem to have it backwards, especially if they are hungry or want to go out. Unfortunately, they didn't come with earplugs:laugh: :laugh: Your avatar picture is very cute. I have a pic of the little grey Shih tzu in my ticker, the late Dreyfus, where he is standing in front of the tree with a "Santa" suit on. He appears to be "guarding" the presents, so I added the caption "Santa sez "do not open 'til Christmas." He was a sweetie, still miss him, and see so many of his quirks in Pepper, the Shih tzu I have now.

Renny-:flowerforyou:

Happy New Year and just keep on keepin' on. You will get there.

Firetuck-:flowerforyou:

Sorry to hear your mom is in the hospital. I hope things improve for her. I will be thinking of you.

Kathy(pmjsmom)-:flowerforyou:

Glad to hear you "de-junked" your kitchen!:bigsmile: I am also below my Thanksgiving weight, so I feel like I survived the holidays nicely.

Cindy-:flowerforyou:

I have some "goal pants" too, but I also have about 15 pair that are too big, so I need to go on a donation binge and clean out my bedroom. Soon won't have any room for smaller clothes!!:laugh: Congrats on getting into your jeans!!:drinker:

Terri-:flowerforyou:

Climbing back in the wagon after a short detour is an accomplishment. :drinker: You are on the right track!!!

Jeannie-:flowerforyou:

After reading your post about shoveling your driveway, I am glad our snow came and melted the next day, although it is a form of exercise to clear it. Your post about the Wii Fit and calories burned inspired my funny bone. I was thinking about all the people who run around at this time of year making "resolutions", buying fitness equipment to take up space in their basement or garage, (NOT MFP'rs, of course:bigsmile: ) Many of these people probably got "Wii's" for Christmas, and the "Wii Fit" to go along with it. I think I should quickly write a diet book to go along with that equipment--to be called "We Fat!!":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hope your daughter is feeling better.

Eava-:flowerforyou:

Your goals for January are very reachable, and I noticed if you do the same thing in Feb, Mar and April, by the end of April, you will be within 10 lbs. of your goal!! How cool is that???:drinker: :drinker:

ZannieW-:flowerforyou:

Welcome back!! We look forward to hearing from you in the new year.

Becky-:flowerforyou:

Those portion sizes are sneaky. I love my scale and my measuring cups. They keep me on track. I figured out my body can "add up" the calories, even if I don't log them correctly:grumble: Ouch!!!:ohwell:

Regarding water, I hate to pay for it as well, but I don't like to think about all the stuff that can be in tap water, so I have one of those PUR water filters. They cost less than $40 and fit on your kitchen tap. There is a valve that allows you to switch between filtered and regular water. They are wonderful. If anyone decides to get one, be sure to get the one that takes the 3 stage filter. BTW, they are available at Costco, along with the filters. I have seen them at Lowe's also.

Louise-:flowerforyou:

Tax season can be very "taxing" on your health. You are smart to schedule your workout times before everything crowds in and takes up your time. Good luck!!

Also, about water. If you find you miss some flavor and don't want to deal with the Crystal Light or other powdered options that can be added, just drop a slice or two of lemon in your water bottle.

Alice-:flowerforyou:

NINE BELOW!! :noway: I bet your well isn't the only thing around there that is frozen!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Sharon (walkersk23)-:flowerforyou:

Welcome!! Isn't it nice to know you have already made some progress toward your goal. I know I feel much differently about the New Year now that there is about 20% less of me than there was at this time last year!!!:drinker: :drinker:

SuzyQ-:flowerforyou:

Louise is right, that new pic is great!! You have been a great source of info and inspiration to me in the past year!! Thank you!!!:flowerforyou:

Cindy-:flowerforyou:

Just read about the cake your daughter wants. I guess I will have to tell myself that ginger snap cookies taste like soap. Unfortunately, to my tongue they don't!!!!:laugh:

Birdie-:flowerforyou:

Your post about "food thoughts" vs. "goal thoughts" is very profound, and very true!!! Thank you for sharing.

Well, I have put off doing something around here for as long as I can. Even the doggies got bored and stopped trying to "help" me with my post, so I need to go do something, except eat:wink:

Have a good Saturday, everyone!!!

Barb

EDIT: Just realized this is my 1000th post!!!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Me again.

Am I the only one who thinks the new "Taco Bell Diet" commercial is totally ridiculous? :huh: :huh: I saw a post about it yesterday, but didn't see the full commercial with the "spokesmodel" 'til today!! Good grief!!!!:noway: :noway:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Me again.

Am I the only one who thinks the new "Taco Bell Diet" commercial is totally ridiculous? :huh: :huh: I saw a post about it yesterday, but didn't see the full commercial with the "spokesmodel" 'til today!! Good grief!!!!:noway: :noway:

:angry: No, you are not!!!! As my husband would "delicately" put it..."There's an a-- for every seat!" :laugh: That makes about as much sense as the snuggies for dogs!!!:laugh:

BirdieM:angry:

BTW, I'm jealous about you and Barbie meeting!!! I would so love to meet some of the people from MFP....but living in RI.....small chance!!:laugh: :laugh:
    Have a wonderful time!!!:flowerforyou:
    Also, Jake isn't the only one who likes your humor....I think you and I think the same way....so your humor is appreciated even on this side of the country!!!:laugh:
    BirdieM:happy:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Debbie – I’m originally from New England and I miss the four seasons, even winter. This past week I feel right at home with our recent foot of snow. Stay warm and safe.

Zanniew- Glad to hear all your surgeries are in the past and you can focus on healing.

Louise- I’m not sure how big your office is but here’s a suggestion – send an email to everyone asking if anyone is interested in forming a walking group from now until 4/15. Maybe you can find some one who will walk for breaks or ½ hour during lunch. My walking buddy and I are going to the mall once a week for a 30 minute walk during the winter. Our work is not busy now, but it’s too cold to walk outside. Good luck!

Becky – sound advice on the water. Thanks for the reminder.

SuzyQ – Congratulations on your success last year. That is awesome. I know you will succeed this year. Nice new picture!

BirdieM- That is wonderful 34 pounds in one year! Congratulations! U rock!

Back to shovelling snow for me. I'm almost done this time, really I am..................

Jeannie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Me again.

:angry: No, you are not!!!! As my husband would "delicately" put it..."There's an a-- for every seat!" :laugh: That makes about as much sense as the snuggies for dogs!!!:laugh:

BirdieM:angry:

BTW, I'm jealous about you and Barbie meeting!!! I would so love to meet some of the people from MFP....but living in RI.....small chance!!:laugh: :laugh:
    Have a wonderful time!!!:flowerforyou:
    Also, Jake isn't the only one who likes your humor....I think you and I think the same way....so your humor is appreciated even on this side of the country!!!:laugh:
    BirdieM:happy:

Well Thank you Birdie, for your kind words.:flowerforyou: but I have to disagree about Snuggies for dogs. My Bradley could probably benefit from one, as he seems to be bothered by the cold when we ride in the car, until it warms up!! You know they actually DO make them. Petsmart has them, but I have only seen them in pink, and I don't want to give my little "Terror" an identity crisis!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Been reading the posts;

Barb: I read the other day in my devotional to create a "Blessing Box" and put in it the things that are creating clutter in your home or closet as the case may be. Even if you donate the clothes that are too big someone will be "Blessed" by them.

Well the boys won out on getting Chinese Food for dinner. But me, I am baking sweet potatoes for Granny & myself. I will have that first & the soup then see if I want anything else.

I went and looked at the taco bell commercial on Utube. I used to take the kids there when they were little but I can't remember the last time I ate there. I know this is terrible, but I love Taco Bell crunchy tacos. I know, I know they aren't good for you but that doesn't change the fact that I still like them! The driver's side window on my car didn't work for the longest time which was really a good thing because it got me out of the habit of stopping for fast food. If you have to actually get out of the car then you stop & think do I really want this fast food or not. I guess we should all apply that, if you want fast food you must, MUST be willing to get out of the car!

Barb, I love ginger snap cookies, the last bag we had here lasted a couple of days. Just learned those I cannot have in the house! Good grief, I must be really hungry, all this talk of food I love!

Teri: Great going on that shoveling!

Cindy
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mom is still in the hospital but doing much better. I've been staying at her place and traveling back and forth to the hospital in -26 degree weather today. Yuck! Does shivering burn any calories???:laugh: I've been getting my workouts in and eating right. I carry a water bottle with me all the time - try putting a half slice of orange in it - gives it just enough flavor to keep it from being boring.:flowerforyou:
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    Me again.

I just saw that for the first time today!:noway: It MUST be New Year's Resolution time! :laugh:

Kathy (pmjsmom)
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    firetruck--I'm glad your mom is doing better. I hope she continues to improve.:flowerforyou:

Welcome, Sharon, glad you're here.:happy: I've only been here a month or two and I already feel like a member of the family!
    :happy Happy Birthday, too. It's my son's b-day tomorrow also--he'll be 22 and is the most amazing young man.:bigsmile:

He wants a healthy meal and says he wants to eat the way I do! I've planned a good meal with lots of veggies. His cake will be a pound cake (sliced THIN!) with ff whipped cream, blackberries (no sugar added) and a little bit of a chocolate drizzle. I'll work out the calories (for my food log) later but I don't think it'll be too bad. :happy:

I hope everyone has a good night!:flowerforyou:

Kathy(pmjsmom)
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone today has been a successful day. Spent 3 hours today taking down and putting away all of the Christmas Decorations at church - going up and down stairs so I had a great day for exercise this allowed me to indulge in a couple of cookies and still stay under my goal for the day. :smile:

I made homemade chili using the tomatoes and juice that I canned this summer so I keep the sodium down as well as the cost. :bigsmile: I made it with different beans so it has lots of protein and fiber. My husband is not a soup or chili person, but it was 20 degrees here today our first really cold weather in TN and he was wanting chili so I was happy to oblige.:love::love: It's supposed to get down to 11 tomorrow.

Our daughters live in Orlando and they are experiencing cold weather for their area. Down to 30's at night and highs in the 50's. One of my daughters has really bad asthma and weather changes to cold temps. causes her a lot of problems with not being able to breathe. She is doing a little better today but the next few days they are going to have even colder temps. so please keep her in your prayers that she is able to stay out of the hospital. She and her twin decided to stay in FL after her twin graduated from culinary school since her health is so much better without having to deal with the weather changes that we have here. Before they moved to FL, anytime the temperatures would drop we would either be calling 911 or be at the emergency room. I'm hoping and praying she makes it through this period without being in the hospital. Being over 800 miles away from them is tough especially when health is involved. We've almost lost her twice and it's hard not being there for her. This is the first time in the 3 years they've been there that she has had this severe of an issue so please keep her in your prayers.

My vacation time is ending and I'm headed back to work Monday :cry: to deal with end of the month and end of the year with a multitude of deadlines, but I'm going to make a concerted effort not to let it stress me. I'm am quitting smoking starting tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. CST so I will be drinking lots of water. I'm going to try to replace my urges with a glass of water. Tracking my food intake to meet my calories and tracking my cost savings from not smoking to meet my Goal of $ saved, I am going to transfer to savings each week what I would have normally spent on smoking. It's a win - win lose the weight and I can wear my old wardrobe which will be new to everyone I'm around now:smile: and I will have some extra money in the bank:bigsmile:

I am very thankful for this group. Reading all of the posts gives me the inspiration and motivation to know that I can do it. As long as I log in daily, read the posts and drink water I seem to make progress. :happy: :happy:

Good luck to all!

Nancy:heart:

68733.png
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I've been think hard about my goals for 2010. As much as loosing weight is the objective I think my real goals are to learn to live on the calories needed to weigh less vs being on a diet. Regaining an active lifestyle is also a goal. I can't spend the rest of my life on a diet.

So with that said my 2010 goals are to:

Learn to live on 1300 calories a day and not use my excercise calories
    Excercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week for a healthy heart.

If I do both those things I should loose 15-20 pounds in 2010.

It turns out I did meet my November and December goal and I weigh now what I did on November 1rst. No holiday weight gain here.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Jeannie

PS: I'm still shovelling and will never buy another house where it snows that has a long driveway.
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just received a call from my daughter, she is being admitted to the hospital. They suspect she has pneumonia. Please keep her in your prayers.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I've been reading all the wonderful posts since this thread started and it has made such a difference in my day. There are so many fabulous goals and enthusiastic recommitments to healthy living.

:flowerforyou: Last night my hubby and I had a great phone conversation with Barb (weaklink). We're going to be spending next weekend in her town and it's going to work out for us to get together for dinner on Saturday.. She and I have traded jokes, inspiration, dog stories, and ideas since last spring and I feel like I know her. It was so great to hear her voice and talk back and forth in real time. I made a note for myself to bring my camera so when we get together we can take some pictures to post to share with all of you. Stay tuned for the report.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Lianne, I am so glad to hear that you are back on your feet exercising. You have had quite a time with surgery and recovery and you've been such a good sport about all the down time.

:flowerforyou: Renny, I found a fun way to exercise when i took up line dancing five years ago. I guess the trick is to keep looking for an exercise that feels good either while you do it or after when you feel great about the accomplishment. I hear a lot of great stories about the various activities on Wii....just stay open minded as you read about how other people exercise....the same is true about eating.......I like to eat so I found that "clean eating" allowed me the most food for the fewest calories so even at 1200 calories there was a lot to eat.

:flowerforyou: firetuck, I like what you said "Just Decide".............:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Terri, I agree with you about "pounds lost" goals......I can't change the pounds, but I can change my behavior (some nights I've had to drink 4 glasses of water and walk 1,000 steps during the last 30 minutes before bed, just to reach my goals, but it's something I can do)

:flowerforyou: Becky, I love Cracker Barrel......lucky for me there are none this far west, although we went to a restaurant almost as good this morning......I had the yogurt parfait (yogurt, granola, blueberries, strawberries) which was only a minor bump on the calorie road, my friends had something that probably equaled my total calorie count for the day:laugh:

:flowerforyou: laniv, I love your goals.....simple and to the point :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Eava, reading posts and logging meals daily has been one of the most helpful things I've done.

:flowerforyou: zannie, I'm so glad you're over your surgery and back with us.....I look forward to hearing more from you

:flowerforyou: Louise, I hope you'll take the busy tax season one day at a time and make a plan each day for healthy eating and water drinking:flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Welcome, Sharon, and happy birthday. We've had several women on this thread who've been on crutches or struggling with leg or foot issues who have found creative ways to exercise with hand weights. Is that your dog? What a darling.......

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, congratulations on your recent weight loss and all your accomplishments in 2009. I've learned so much from you.......I'm so glad you continue to post regularly.....I look forward to your further progress this year. I love the quote in your signature.......it goes well with "just decide".......I love your new picture...I took the time to look at all the pictures on your profile today and wow have you changed :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Birdie, once again you are a wealth of great ideas especially about "focus"......congratulations on all your success in 2009.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, I like your idea about the "blessing box". .....I've given away almost every item of clothing I owned a year ago but thinking of them as a blessing for others makes it even better.

:flowerforyou: Barb, I started packing my suitcase and making my list for our trip on Friday......I'm that excited about getting to meet you in person......yes, I put "camera" on the list so I don't forget to bring it.....the year we bought the camera we left it home when we went on our 99 day RV trip and had to settle for pictures from our old "film" camera.......that won't happen this time.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, we have a great snow shovel, but I'm hoping I won't have to use it much this year.

OMG I had a lot to say.......once again I was inspired by all of you......:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart: Barbie
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    This thread is just what i need..My goals for January are:

loss 8-10 lbs
    Cardio Training for 30 minutes 3 times a week
    Weight Training for an hour 2 times a week
    Journal what I eat
    No snacking after 8pm
    Wishing everyone a great 2010!
  • Elfie1
    Elfie1 Posts: 30
    Options
    Yay!!!! I was quite happy to see this thread for us 50+. Today is my first day and it is pretty motivating to see all you hard working, devoted women out there. Bless us all on this journey!