WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Susan - you sound just like me! I lost a bunch of weight for my "50th"a few years ago and then proceeded to put it all back on. And my husband is skinny and can eat a dozen cookies in one sitting and not gain a pound. Ugh! Good for you for opting out of lunch out. It all starts with those kind of decisions!! Way to go girl!

Thanks. I am just planning what I will eat tomorrow. That was key before. So I can't find something bad to eat because I didn't plan. Hopefully I can keep my motivation up. I have a closet full of beautiful clothes I want to wear again.

Good luck to you too. It was easier a few years ago wasn't it. The weight seemed to come off quicker and with less effort.
    Susan
  • arborsong
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Barbara, thank you for your nice message. I'm glad you found my food diary and figured out how to rename your meals......isn't that a cool feature? There are so many new people on this thread that I decided to introduce myself to everyone at once.

Hubby and I been married for 20 years when we got tired of being Roley and Poley. He found Isagenix and immediately began to lose weight as I watched with open minded skepticism. I saw his energy level rise from nap taking couch potato to self starter and heard people marvel at his rapid weight loss. Meanwhile I found MFP and used all the great features to keep us both on track and log my food and exercise every day. Later he set up his own MFP account and now logs his own food and exercise. I lost weight along with him and finally joined him using the Isagenix program
    In ten months I lost 65 pounds and went from size 16 to size 4 and nobody was more surprised than I was when the saleswoman in a store, said “I don’t think we have anything here that will fit you, you’re so tiny” Now we call ourselves Slim and Slimmer

I retired five years ago from teaching first grade in public school. We moved from Northern California to NW Washington and I found line dance classes right away. Now I dance three mornings a week and have lately tried my hand at teaching a few dances.

We recently gave up RV travel which we'd been doing for five years and decided to go back to traveling by auto or plane. We have two Standard Poodles, Brandy (black) and Sasha (red). They got the nickname of "the Naughties" because they ignore all my directions when they are chasing birds at the off leash dog park. We have two cats, a young, part Maine Coon named Bernie, and an older black and white named Haifa.

I live with my soul mate, the love of my life, Jake. We've had many of the ups and downs of being married but we continue to nail our feet to the floor and walk through everything because we can't imagine life without each other. He recently came out of retirement to go back to work as an Isagenix consultant so he can share the miracle of his over 50 pound weight loss and new burst of energy with others.

I am so glad to see so many new members on this thread and to see all of us who have been around awhile continuing to walk this amazing path together.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie
    Barbie - I had not heard your story before. Where can I find your food diary and about renaming meals? It does sound cool. And what is Isagenix? I'm not familiar with it?

Louise
  • arborsong
    Options
    Barbara, thank you for your nice message. I'm glad you found my food diary and figured out how to rename your meals......isn't that a cool feature? There are so many new people on this thread that I decided to introduce myself to everyone at once.

Hubby and I been married for 20 years when we got tired of being Roley and Poley. He found Isagenix and immediately began to lose weight as I watched with open minded skepticism. I saw his energy level rise from nap taking couch potato to self starter and heard people marvel at his rapid weight loss. Meanwhile I found MFP and used all the great features to keep us both on track and log my food and exercise every day. Later he set up his own MFP account and now logs his own food and exercise. I lost weight along with him and finally joined him using the Isagenix program
    In ten months I lost 65 pounds and went from size 16 to size 4 and nobody was more surprised than I was when the saleswoman in a store, said “I don’t think we have anything here that will fit you, you’re so tiny” Now we call ourselves Slim and Slimmer

I retired five years ago from teaching first grade in public school. We moved from Northern California to NW Washington and I found line dance classes right away. Now I dance three mornings a week and have lately tried my hand at teaching a few dances.

We recently gave up RV travel which we'd been doing for five years and decided to go back to traveling by auto or plane. We have two Standard Poodles, Brandy (black) and Sasha (red). They got the nickname of "the Naughties" because they ignore all my directions when they are chasing birds at the off leash dog park. We have two cats, a young, part Maine Coon named Bernie, and an older black and white named Haifa.

I live with my soul mate, the love of my life, Jake. We've had many of the ups and downs of being married but we continue to nail our feet to the floor and walk through everything because we can't imagine life without each other. He recently came out of retirement to go back to work as an Isagenix consultant so he can share the miracle of his over 50 pound weight loss and new burst of energy with others.

I am so glad to see so many new members on this thread and to see all of us who have been around awhile continuing to walk this amazing path together.
    Barbie - I had not heard your story before. Where can I find your food diary and about renaming meals? It does sound cool. And what is Isagenix? I'm not familiar with it?

Louise
  • arborsong
    Options

Louise
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hi Louise, if you click on my name above my picture, you'll get to my profile and one of the boxes says, "View Diary".....click on that and you can see everything I've eaten since February, except for today which I haven't logged yet. There are many other people who have made their food diaries public........just click on their name above their picture and you'll see their profile and whether they have a public food diary.

To change the names of your meals go to "My Home" the "Settings" then "Diary Settings" You can call your meals anything you want, you can change the nutrients you track on the food diary, and you can make your diary public if you want to.

Isagenix is a wonderful nutritional program that helps your body release fat more easily by cleansing the impurities out of your cells and making the fat less necessary to protect your vital organs from the toxins in your body. The products were formulated by a man who was trying to cleanse his body after a nasty spider bite and discovered that weight loss was a byproduct of the nutritional cleansing. It's not a colon cleanse and there are no drugs or harsh chemicals in any of the products. There's more information at www.isamovies.com

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie
  • arborsong
    Options
    My apologies to all that my post went through 3 times. :cry:

Louise
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    My apologies to all that my post went through 3 times. :cry:

Louise

Haven't you ever heard "the third time is a charm?":bigsmile: :bigsmile: Not to worry.

Barb
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just found this thread. :bigsmile:

First a bit about me: I have been logging my food for quite a few years, now. First at fitday, then Livestrong, now here. I usually exercise at the gym anywhere from 6 to 7 days/week. Sometimes life just gets in the way so I do some DVD's at home. I got some walking DVD's for Christmas and am hoping to get a rebounder. I would think that those tapes could be done on the rebounder but with less impact.

Someone (please don't ask me to remember who) mentioned that there's a Wii group here. Where? I have a WiiFit. I don't like the step, for me it's not challenging enough and I don't think the toning section is all that great. They will work one body part but not the opposing muscle. I do like the yoga, tho. I've heard that there's a Wii Plus, anyone know anything about this? I do the hula hooping, too. I will take the body test. I took it every day, then I broke a bone in my foot and couldn't go downstairs to my exercise room, so that's another resolution. I'm sure I'll be able to keep that one.

My goals for this year: well, to be honest, it's more to be less dependent on logging my food every day but still maintaining a healthy lifstyle (that includes weight, etc). I know this is going to be a LONG journey. Honestly, I really haven't lost any weight for the last, oh, 2 or 3 years. I think my body is at the weight it wants to be at (not what I want it to be at). I'm 5'1" and around 130lbs. About 4 years ago I wore a size 12 pants, now I buy at the largest 8, sometimes I can get into a 4 even (depending on the cut, etc.). I know I can get to a lower weight, but then I would feel and look like c***, and that just isn't worth it!

For this coming year I'd also like to be eating less meat and more veges and fish. That'll be hard since dh is a real meat lover. Steak and potatoes man. This may mean that I will have to cook two different meals (which I do lots anyway).

I really don't want to take my measurements right now since I just got my period. I'll wait until it's over. The good thing about getting my period is that I have very little desire to eat junk.

Some of the obstacles I encounter? I live in the South, and if you want pants in a size 10 or 12 or 14, there are lots of them. I can maybe find two 8's, one 6, and I'm lucky to find a 4. The food they serve in restaurants! You should see me when we go out to eat, I ask so many questions about how the food is prepared and make so many changes to the item on the menu! There's only ONE health food store near here. I could go to Charlotte to Trader Joe's. Thank GOD they accept MasterCard:happy:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: exermom, welcome to the group. I agree with you that our bodies will find a weight that it feels it should be at and then will stay there. I guess we should all be listening more to our bodies.
  • debieanne
    Options
    good night everyone... what a busy day.. now i am getting everyone setttle for the night school vacation has ended and tommow everyone is back to school but allysa she is in college and is home for the mth. what a busy weekend we had and lots of snow oh i love winter will i am happy to say i am doing good again with the water.. and feeling so much better that i am doing this all for me. i have actually gotten things down . i am surprise.. did some walking with my wii and free jogging 10 mins here and than wo mins there i put my music on and i shut everyone out a few times today they were surpise.. i feel uplifted tonight..
    it sounds like we all had a good day anyone not feeling or your family members we will say prayers tonight for anyone who had the snow this weekend how much did yous get i measure 8 in here in palmer mass. out on the cape we heard they had a lot again.. its a nice snowing year in new england lookin forward to my vacation through in feb. ok could i as k yous a question what kind of bread does everyone eat.. the past few mths i have been a thing and trying all different kinds.. its been interesting i have not found one i like most, and how do you all feel about white or whole grains... ok have a nice night peace from my family to all of yours love debie and family
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been busy. I've now also forgotten half the posts I wanted to respond to. grrr.

Anyway, I'm at work but the network is partially down so I can't do what I came to do. So I'm catching up on MFP and then I'll go home.

My goals for Dec. were to eat healthy 75% of the time. I don't think I made that though I do have a narrow definition of healthy than most people. I really wanted to get my protein up as my serum levels were low the last time I had them tested. I don't think I managed that though I will get lab work done this week to be sure.

I started logging my food in Feb. '08 on The Daily Plate (now part of Livestrong.com) as part of my journey to finally do something about my weight. I was thinking about getting WLS and I wanted to understand what and how I was eating. Just from logging my food, I started losing weight! I ended up slowly transforming my diet. First I added more water, then I worked on cutting out a lot of the junk, then I upped my protein, etc. By the time I had my surgery, I had lost 32 lb. already. But I was starving all the time and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it off without surgery as my raging appetite always eventually did me in. With the surgery, I no longer produce too much ghrelin and my appetite is normal and that helps a lot.

However, it doesnt' make me put good food in my mouth or go to the gym. I have to do that and I have to say that I wasn't that good about it in Dec. I'm also dealing with a torn calf muscle that makes it hard to workout. I'm hoping I can get back into my routine in Jan. as I've gone from training for a Half-ironman to working out 2-3 hours a week tops, sometimes less.

At my lowest weight, I was bouncing around in the 110-115 range, but mostly 112-113. If I got below 110, I'd consciously eat more and if I got above 115 I'd consciously eat less. However, over the past two months, my range has gone up about 3 pounds. I'm not sure if this is a bad sign or if it's what a lot of WLS patients experience, called bounceback. It's normal to bounce back from your lowest weight as much as 5-10 lb. We called it the attainable weight vs. the maintainable weight. So 108 (my lowest) was attainable, but 115 may be my maintainable weight.

OTOH, I am thinking that, in my case, it's really because of the lack of exercise and I'll lose the 3 lb. as soon as triathlon season picks up and may even lose more as I get into the full swing of things. Plus, I felt better when I was around 112-113 than I do now that I'm around 115-116. Yes, 3 pounds seems to make a noticable differnce. Anyway, I guess I'll see how it all works out over the next month or so.

My goals for 2010 are:

-get a healthy relationship with food
    -train for and complete 2 half-Ironman triathlons and one Ironman triathlon
    -give more attention to my personal life (keep my house cleaner, put the romance back in my marriage)
    -learn how to maintain my weight loss in a sustainable way
    -find a new job where I'm more appreciated and I respect my boss

My goals for January are:

-drink 80-100 oz. of water a day
    -consume 125-150 g of protein a day
    -get back to the pool 2x a week
    -bike 1-2x a week
  • leggi002
    leggi002 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh, Exermom, the challenges of living in the South! I was there for many years. You almost have to give up eating out. And exercising in the heat of the summer - I had to get up and do it before sunrise. Now that I live in Minnesota, different challenges of weather. My main exercise challenge now is my feet, the soles of which burn after about 4 miles of running, 1 mile on an eliptical, or 10 min on a stationary bike. But at least I don't have bacon grease in my vegetables anymore!
  • leggi002
    leggi002 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Susan, Firetuck, I'm not liking your comments about losing weight when you were 50 (which is what I've just done) and then regaining! Oh I've worked to hard to think about this.....

Kathy
  • clwasmer
    clwasmer Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I am so HAPPY that I found this thread!!!!Thankk you sooo.... much!! My hairdresser told me about this site and I could not wait till I got home to go to it, it works.But I reach my goal weight and have not been here since June 2009. Since I have gained 18 lbs back. I am 51 years old and I live in a very small community so I purchased a wii and I( will) love YOGA and I will lose these 18 LBS, and I will not purchase larger clothes cuz I did it before and I will do it in 2010! Blessings to all
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dear Committed,

Hope your daughter's recovery is quick and complete.

Don't mean to make light, but maybe you could "borrow" her pneumonia to help you quit?

What I mean, is...I tried quitting many many times, but it wasn't til I got pneumonia that I actually did.
    Even then, needed help (Nicorette) for a long time.

I've been smoke free now for more than 10 years, after smoking for 30.

When the cravings get tough, think of your daughter and take a walk or do something physical for 10 minutes.

Warmest best wishes,
    Barbara

Good idea! I've been very fortunate with my health other than high blood pressure. Emily is doing some better , finally moved to a room at noon today. She's still on oxygen but is showing some improvement. She is receiving a lot of support from her co-workers (her boss sent an e-mail out to all of the employees letting them know she was in the hospital). Also her twin is staying with her and is keeping me updated.

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support.

Nancy:heart:

68873.png
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    Morning again,

54kitty: Your photo just makes me smile. Why did you decide on that one?

cindy

Thanks Cindy.:flowerforyou: It makes me smle too
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm back! I've had a bunch of company since Wednesday (been cooking for 12-22 people 3 meals a day), and visiting with my kids. It was fun, but now back to the real world. I didn't make my December goal of losing 5 pounds (haven't even lost one) but I'm ok with that. My other goal was to increase my exercise, and I have done that and continue to improve in that area. I finally started swimming again on Thursday, and plan to go back tomorrow. January goals? Lose 5 pounds (maybe it will take this time), and continue to exercise.

A year ago, I weighed 72 pounds more than I do now, and decided to do something about it. And, with the help of all of you MFP folks, and my supportive family, and of course, the strength that I can get through my faith, I am well on my way to my new healthy life. I also seem to have inspired numerous family members to join me on my journey, and for this I am humbled and give thanks to God. As I said in an earlier post, my best advice to all is to do this one moment at a time, one step at a time, and if you stumble, don't fall down but catch yourself and keep right on going. Don't ever give up, because you can do this, and you really are worth it! I don't know where this journey will take me, but I'm looking forward to the trip. I'm guessing that I will lose at least 85 more pounds before I am satisfied. Just stay with me, and let's see the exciting places that we will go!

One last note: although I didn't lose weight in December, on Thursday, I tried on a pair of size 22 pants and they fit! (I am currently wearing 24's, and a year ago, wore about a 30.) So, happy dance, here I am!

Here's to smart choices!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    What a great day I have had. We moved the ellipitical and the treadmill into the living room today. I really dont care at this point if it looks more like a gym than a living room. It is too cold in the exercise room to go out there and with the girls I cannot always make it out there. with them in the living room I can do extra workouts or do some extra at night when I eat a little more during the day. I just finished doing an extra 40 min 10 on ellip and 30 on tread. I am going to reward myself with a bowl of cereal. (learned that from Barbie) I made a homemade vegetable soup today. It is so good. Will eat the rest as long as it lasts for lunch. Kind of had to guess the calories but all veggies so cant be too bad. Barbie I enjoyed your story even though I already knew some of it. Thanks for sharing. It really helps the rest of us. Good night and heres to another good day tomorrow.
    Vicki M
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Kathy - Here is what happened to me so that you may avoid my mistake! :flowerforyou: I looked at 'turning 50' as the final destination of my diet. I apparantly had the fantasy that if I could lose the weight by the time I turned 50 - that I'd be home free or something. I just never considered what my next step should be! Dumb! I should have been looking at it as the beginning of a lifestyle of eating healthy and exercising. Now when I set goals for myself I try to look at what the next goal should be so I'm always working towards something in the future. Hope my confession of short sightedness can help you!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    So many new faces and posters and so many dear old ones. Welcome to everyone. With this many people I will never master the artful response with everyone mentioned by name. I will leave that to the post-masters here, you know who you are!:flowerforyou:

Lovely but cold day here today. Went to a resort in Wisconsin Dells to see Boston last night. Had a wonderful time, mostly enjoyed visiting amoung ourselves. DH and I stayed the night in one of their condos. Made a lovely break from a busy work schedule and -15 degree weather. Hope thats over for a while.

Committed my prayers are with your daughters and you. I am glad to hear she is recieving good care and improving.

So inspiring to read everyones posts. Look how the neighborhood grew overnight!

Suzzieque great new photo you do not look 50!:smile:

Mary I am amazed ot your progess in a year, makes me realize how lax I have been.

Vicki, Birdie, and the Barbs, you are all such great examples and such great sources of comfort.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Goals for January are as they stand on my signature, and I hope they come with weight loss!
    I have a Dr.'s appointment this week to discuss my failure to stay in menopause. At 55 and after 2 years I think this must be a joke of some sort. But off to see the dear Dr. as she feels it is necessary, as do I. Anyone else have this problem?
    AlI advice accepted, and appreciated.

Thank you for a great year, and here's to another one.:drinker: Alice