new cottage cheese ideas?

Options
icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
I like cottage cheese - it's relatively low in calories and it's high in protein, and I do like the taste. But I'm getting bored with the taste of just plain cottage cheese. I mix it with fruit a lot and that's good. Any other ideas out there?

One thing I did discover lately is mixing in a tablespoon of apple butter or pumpkin butter to a serving of cottage cheese. Yummy! And it may just cure my craving for ice cream!

Replies

• alikat517
    alikat517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese...I hadn't thought of mixing it with some apple or pumpkin butter- yum! Sometimes when I want a savory snack I'll mix a few tablespoons of cottage cheese with just a bit of low-fat sour cream and some dry ranch dressing mix for a high protein dip for raw veggies.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I put a dab of pesto in it.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I think it can go with pretty much anything. I put some in a baked potato the other night instead of the usual sour cream and butter, and I loved it. Also I've been mixing it in with tuna.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Add salsa to it:)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have to hide cottage cheese, I like it in pancakes. Blend 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, cook it in a pan, and top with sugar free syrup.

I also mix it in with yogurt, sugar free pistachio pudding mix, and fruit cocktail.

Sometimes I will mix it in with my oatmeal, it doesn't seem to affect the flavor of what I put in it, and has a similar texture to the oatmeal.

I also like to mix cinnamon, and sweetener in it to dip apple slices in.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I use peanut butter.
  • sem021966
    Options
    mix sunflower seed into it for some crunch or just sprinkle it with lemon pepper seasoning for a kick
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    you can mix any of the above suggested added ingredients and put it in a blender/food processor on puree or really low....can even freeze it to where its soft afterwards..like soft ice cream..

I like to blend it with peanut butter and a dash of splenda..the protein in the cottage cheese helps your body digest the healthy fat in the peanut butter slower..so ive been told.

you can also make an alfredo sauce with it..i dont have the recipe anymore sowwy....google is your friend tho :)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Mix in a little light cool whip, sweetener of choice, cinnamon, and a few raisins. Tastes like a rice pudding.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I little pepper and eat it! On toast, On whole wheat crackers, on triscuits.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I find it so SALTY! how do ' y'all deal with that? ...i love cottage cheese and have tried it with fruit....but somehow the saltiness is so overpowdering, that , it and the sweet fruit makes me feel sick...

HELP!! and i am loving all the savory ideas.
  • TisMeEggin
    TisMeEggin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you mix some in with your egg/egg whites/egg beaters... whatever... it will make for some very nice fluffy eggs/omelette. My son loves to do this with some added sriracha sauce.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I find it so SALTY! how do ' y'all deal with that? ...i love cottage cheese and have tried it with fruit....but somehow the saltiness is so overpowdering, that , it and the sweet fruit makes me feel sick...

have you tried different brands? my uncle used to add salt to his actually.. :p
  • jessicae1aine
    Options

I definitely second trying different brands. I can't do Viva because it's too sour for me. I prefer Nordica 1%, which is pretty darn delicious.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    cayenne pepper, sriracha sauce, tuna, ginger, brocolli....not all at once...or combine some of them if you want lol
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I add a little onion, pepper, cut up tomatoes and green peppers. Yummy! You could put it over a salad to replace dressing.
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    Can't wait to try the apple/pumpkin butter idea!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I definitely second trying different brands. I can't do Viva because it's too sour for me. I prefer Nordica 1%, which is pretty darn delicious.

thanks! i might try those and give the good stuff a chance again . OOh and i meant Overpowering... not ...err.. powdering :laugh:
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 0racle76
    0racle76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put cottage cheese in my salads all the time instead of dressing.