new cottage cheese ideas?

Options

Replies

• allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's really great blended into a smoothie. instead of using juice or milk, use cottage cheese.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese - it's relatively low in calories and it's high in protein, and I do like the taste. But I'm getting bored with the taste of just plain cottage cheese. I mix it with fruit a lot and that's good. Any other ideas out there?

One thing I did discover lately is mixing in a tablespoon of apple butter or pumpkin butter to a serving of cottage cheese. Yummy! And it may just cure my craving for ice cream!

I mix it with apple sauce and a little stevia, or mix it in a fruit salad of melons, apples, sometimes cucumbers, possibly some frozen blueberries, and a little stevia. But my all time favorite is PB2 mixed with water and stevia, then some cottage cheese and greek yogurt.. reminds me of peanut butter pie. YUM. Cottage cheese is definitely a staple for me.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like Cottage cheese Sandwiches (sounds weird, I know!). I put a scoop in a sandwich pocket or pita bread. You can add anything you like. I usually add pepper, some onions and a little mustard.

Another I used to do, haven't in a while cuz I forgot about it... I'd make a single serving of Mac & Cheese. A little pasta, saute up some garlic and/or onions and cottage cheese.

If I ever have Manwiches again, love a scoop on my Sloppy Joe!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I always put in on a baked sweet potato...yum!
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i used to be highly addicted to Ranch dressing. I now use Fat free cottage cheese on my salad instead of the ranch dressing! :)
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I put pepper on it.
    Eat with fruit (pineapple is my fav).
    Use it as a dip for fresh veggies.
    Use it as a sour cream substitute.
    Make a sandwich of it with 2 slices of bread.
  • skipperlk
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with tomato, cucumbers, onions, green pepper, salt and pepper.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mix in a little light cool whip, sweetener of choice, cinnamon, and a few raisins. Tastes like a rice pudding.

I'm definitely trying this one. Love cottage cheese.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    has anyone said sprinkle in crumbled bacon yet? :smile:
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I mix it with some cut up olives, the green ones with pimentos. Not too many, just enough to give it some zing.

I don't know why they have to make cottage cheese with such excessive salt. I have really been enjoying "Breakstone 30% Less Sodium 2% Milkfat Lowfat Cottage Cheese". I found it at the Super Wal-Mart in town, haven't seen it elsewhere. It's really good.

I have also tried to make tuna salad using cottage cheese instead of mayo, but not quite sure I like it just yet. :ohwell:
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese...........I accidently discovered a very flavourful way to eat it. I took a tablespoon of red pepper jelly and mixed it into my cottage cheese and then used this as a salad dressing.....wow gives it a real punch! The whole sweet, hot and savoury thing going on in your mouth.
    My old favourite is to spread cottage cheese on wasa crackers and then sprinkle with chopped green onions...very fresh tasting@
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You know what? In a sense it's my go to food. So I eat it plain as often as mixed with something else but I am interested in reading other posters ideas.
  • wdamisch
    wdamisch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I add a little onion, pepper, cut up tomatoes and green peppers. Yummy! You could put it over a salad to replace dressing.

I like it like that too!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese + Tuna

Cottage cheese + Smoked salmon on a bagel thin. Yummyyyy
  • HeyHeyLynn
    HeyHeyLynn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with veggies:
    Mix 1/2 C cottage cheese with 1 diced tomato, 1/4 of a green pepper (diced), and 1/4 of a cucumber. Season with garlic salt, seasoned pepper and Italian seasoning to taste. Very filling and tasty.
  • kstenberg1222
    Options
    Grape tomatoes cut in half (to release all the juices) and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sooooooo good!
  • cagefan
    cagefan Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like chopped up tomatoes in mine - salt and pepper - yummo!
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ready for the BEST COTTAGE CHEESE OF YOUR LIFE

hahaha.

cut apple into small chunks. microwave for ~1 minute.
    mix into cottage cheese (as much as desired)
    add cinnamon, stevia/splenda, a touch of vanilla, and if you want to get crazy then add brown sugar and raisins..

put this in the fridge overnight.....the next day, you will have an apple cheese danish. it's so freakin amazing.

008-1.jpg

Droolin big time
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese - it's relatively low in calories and it's high in protein, and I do like the taste. But I'm getting bored with the taste of just plain cottage cheese. I mix it with fruit a lot and that's good. Any other ideas out there?

One thing I did discover lately is mixing in a tablespoon of apple butter or pumpkin butter to a serving of cottage cheese. Yummy! And it may just cure my craving for ice cream!

There was a recipe that I had (from the Junior Girl Scouts handbook back in the 1970s) for a walking salad. I don't remember the exact proportions, though. I do remember that you served it in a hollowed-out apple (the scooped-out apple bits were used in the salad).

Apple (with some lemon to keep the apple from oxidizing), mayo, cottage cheese, raisins.