I am the only one here not following a low carb diet?!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I came here to offer what has worked for me, not to argue with you.

Then don't argue! :laugh: :tongue:
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    I love Low Carb, but everyone has to do what works for them! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ohh and i hate the word "diet" as it indicates a short term plan (which in the long run will do you no good) not a long term lifestyle change :)

It's just semantics. I love the word diet because we are all on a diet of some sort, else we will be dead very soon. I love my heatlhy diet. I've been on it for 30+ years, which isn't very "short term".
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    Definition of diet: The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats
    ohh and i hate the word "diet" as it indicates a short term plan (which in the long run will do you no good) not a long term lifestyle change :)

It's just semantics. I love the word diet because we are all on a diet of some sort, else we will be dead very soon. I love my heatlhy diet. I've been on it for 30+ years, which isn't very "short term".
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to my macros, but after looking at the pie chart on my phone, I appear to have ratios about the same as yours. Of course, the phone doesn't have an alcohol macro slice. That would be a few %, too.

Yeah, where's that alcohol macro ??? lol. :drinker: :drinker:

I love carbs. They are nummy! I try to eat more complex carbs than I used to.........but gotta have a potato now and then, and will never give up breads!!!

I know I am eating healthier than I ever have, and I'm losing, so that's what makes me happy :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).
    In what way is that "balanced" ? Looks like a high carb diet to me.

That's the recommended dietary ratios.

Facetious statement Im sure- but just to press further- "balanced" as in balanced diet doesnt mean 50-50 or even 25-25-25. I think everyone knows that - some just come up with their OWN BALANCE and want to belittle another's.

PS- I stay under calories- more times then not I try to do the ratio MFP sets up- but am having huge success simply watching calories while eating foods that either used to have a face or in some other way come directly from nature not a box or factory. Maybe if I was a body builder or had some major fitness goal beyond being a normal weight and healthy and strong Id tweak my ratio and 'balance' it some other way. For now- I eat carbs and I would never consider 100 grams of 'good' (non processed, mostly vegetables and whole grains) a high carb diet. But to each their own, right?
  • norge1980
    Options
    I have just recently been put on a 125 gram a day diet. I was lucky to lose 21 lbs. in two weeks but now it's going off slower.......just interesting to look at each post and see their thoughts......
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I cut out grains in January after being diagnoses with Type 2 diabetes and intolerances to wheat, corn and soy. It has certainly NOT been "unhealthy" for me to do so. My lipid panel improved, I've lost weight, my eczema cleared up, my a1C dropped from 7.3 to 5.5 (my goal is 4.8-5.2) and my blood sugar readings are consistently in the "normal" range (fasting less than 100, post -prandial less than 140)

I now get carbs from vegetables and nuts/seeds. I occasionally add fruit (mostly berries or melon when in season) or beans, but limit to 1/4 c so as not to raise my BG beyond a "normal" reading.
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As a T2 diabetic I use by blood glucose levels to determine A) what constitutes and "good" carb TO ME and B) how much my body can and/or should tolerate. As so many have said you have to balance adequate amounts with other goals such as weight loss or blood glucose levels. It's all a slippery slope with diabetics. Lower A1C's are great unless they are because of averages of "high" high's and "low" lows. Mine recently went down but I was having some BG results in the low 60's because of exercise. I've started to pay much better attention to how certain carbs react in my body and the amounts and/or pairings of other items such as protein and fats with those. Everyone has health goals and as living beings our bodies all respond differently. As has been said time and again it is what best meets those health goals. I have slowly been adjusting mine down and working with my doctor to also adjust meds utill we get to optimum utilization of both. There are so many factors that can go into it that what seems low to one person may be "just right" to someone else.
  • kravii
    kravii Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to read what everyone's written. The rule of thumb seems to be high prot, but I think the American diet focuses a little too much on it. Excess calories are excess calories.

I myself eat 60carb/20prot/20fat. Any more protein than that and I get migraines. I'm not sure if it's because a lot of my work is very analytical/intense but my brain craves sugar. Most of my family eat rice three times a day- they may not be sleek like the models on tv but otherwise are very healthy and on the skinny side. So I guess to some extent it also depends on your genetic background.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Define "low carb"

I'm certainly eating less carb overall, so it's lower carb than what got me to 252 pounds!

No, I'm not a low carb dieter.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    55/30/15% ...Um, that's not a balanced diet. 55% carb to only 15% protein. Not good.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    55/30/15% ...Um, that's not a balanced diet. 55% carb to only 15% protein. Not good.

Why is that not good? Unless someone is on a very low cal diet, it's easy to get plenty of protein. Don't forget that it's a percentage of total calories, not 15 grams (which certainly isn't enough.) For me personally, I do 20% protein, which gets me to 90g a day, which is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. I only increased mine because I do strength training. At 15% it was still giving me over 70g of protein a day, which is a fairly large amount for a woman who doesn't lift weights.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Why is that not good? Unless someone is on a very low cal diet, it's easy to get plenty of protein. Don't forget that it's a percentage of total calories, not 15 grams (which certainly isn't enough.) For me personally, I do 20% protein, which gets me to 90g a day, which is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. I only increased mine because I do strength training. At 15% it was still giving me over 70g of protein a day, which is a fairly large amount for a woman who doesn't lift weights.

This exactly ^^ The MFP settings match those of the Institute of Medicine.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

I don't follow a low-carb diet. I like my carbs. I don't measure percentages of what I eat though.
  • amenda04
    amenda04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Exactly! This is me. :love:
  • tgossm
    Options
    I'm not low carb... but I try to watch and not overdo them. I try to limit my snacks to 25 carbs because that is where I was picking up a ton of my calories. Other than that, I always pair my carbs with fruit/veggies and a protien.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CARBS!! and I exercise a lot too.

I absolutely cannot do the exercise I do without any carbs. I need the energy to get a good workout.
  • antigone23
    antigone23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the MFP default (55/25/15) and I'm overall happy with it. I am a longtime vegetarian and most of my protein sources also have carbs. I don't feel full or satisfied without carbs. Even 40/30/30 would be impossible for me.