Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a Bersa 380 which is an easy shoot plus I have it with the laser on it which pretty much let's my target know whats coming!

I love my little bersa "thunder". Accurate as hell, easy to shoot, safe and small enough to carry in my pocket if I want to. Though I generally carry my .40 s&w.

OP, if it's home defense you're after and worried about kids, get a pump action 10 or 12 gauge shotgun. The sound of jacking in a round is enough to stop most people. Don't have to worry about going through a wall. Stop anything short of an elephant.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Here are some stats for our friends from across the pond

The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland, found that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations.

Twenty-six percent of English citizens — roughly one-quarter of the population — have been victimized by violent crime. Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

The United States didn’t even make the “top 10″ list of industrialized nations whose citizens were victimized by crime.

Jack Straw, the British home secretary, admitted that “levels of victimization are higher than in most comparable countries for most categories of crime.”

Highlights of the study indicated that:

The percentage of the population that suffered “contact crime” in England and Wales was 3.6 percent, compared with 1.9 percent in the United States and 0.4 percent in Japan.

Burglary rates in England and Wales were also among the highest recorded. Australia (3.9 percent) and Denmark (3.1 per cent) had higher rates of burglary with entry than England and Wales (2.8 percent). In the U.S., the rate was 2.6 percent, according to 1995 figures;

“After Australia and England and Wales, the highest prevalence of crime was in Holland (25 percent), Sweden (25 percent) and Canada (24 percent). The United States, despite its high murder rate, was among the middle ranking countries with a 21 percent victimization rate,” the London Telegraph said.

England and Wales also led in automobile thefts. More than 2.5 percent of the population had been victimized by car theft, followed by 2.1 percent in Australia and 1.9 percent in France. Again, the U.S. was not listed among the “top 10″ nations.

The study found that Australia led in burglary rates, with nearly 4 percent of the population having been victimized by a burglary. Denmark was second with 3.1 percent; the U.S. was listed eighth at about 1.8 percent.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For home defense or carry is the option that makes a difference. If you are looking for something to conceal and carry the option that makes the best sense is a 25 cal. Baretta... small and yet sufficient damage. If you live in Texas and can carry openly a 44 or 357 tells people... You can't touch this! For home protection nothing can beat a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Load with buck shot round then slug. The first shot will definitely knock them down and the followup will put down the vermin.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't have a carry permit, and I don't carry one. BUT - I have 3 at home for when the hubby is out of town, or just for target shooting fun.

I have a .22, a 9, and a .45. And I LOVE all three of them. But if someone came into my home in the middle of the night, and I had to grab one, I'd grab my .22 NO QUESTIONS.

It's enough to do damage if shot in the body, enough to kill if I go for your head, and I can control my shot the best. I can handle the 9 and a 45 when target shooting, but in an emergency situation, when your adreneline is rushing, and your hands are shaking, I don't need the extra kick back.

Don't count on it. there was a case where a man took a 9mm shot to the forehead and it just traveled under the skin, never penetrated the bone. Drove himself to the hospital to have it removed. Also, a 22 can be stopped completely by nothing more than a leather jacket or several layers of clothing.

Well, Number one, I didn't say I was shooting Superman, who had an inpenetrable skull. Number two, if you have ever taken a self defense class - you know what part of the head to aim FOR. Like the eyeball, or the soft spot right on the temple. And I doubt the average Joe that would break into my house isn't going to be wearing body armor, and even if he is wearing several layers of clothing, that leather coat isn't going to cover the part of a man that I would take aim for. And I doubt any rapist comes prepared wearing a cup.

How often do you practice putting those little rounds in vital spots while moving and with your heart rate at about 200bpm and your hands covered in sweat?

Well, since I have never actaully shot anyone, and I have fortunately never had to do a real-life test of my little theory. I will tell you that I am a sexual assult victim myself. I have taken numerous self defense courses and classes. And one thing I do about once a month is have my husband run a drill for me, so that I can practice.

You see, we have a gun safe in our closet. That thing is locked up nice and tight. Without my knowing when it is going to happen, he will replace MY gun with a pellet gun, unloaded and mounted with my site. He will wake up in the middle of the night, and set the alarm off... That way I can practice how long it takes me to get out of bed, to the gun safe, out of the safe, laser on, and take aim. And when you are woken out of a dead sleep - and its pitch black, trust me. Your adreneline is pumping, and your hands are sweaty. And 9 times out of 10, I don't know I've got an unloaded pellet gun until he turns the lights on. I'll take my chances with the training I've had.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I have a Taurus PT709. It's compact, thin and fits great in my hand. Not too much of a kick either. The only downside is that I've found I'm not a fan of the long trigger pull - it's taking some getting used to. I shot a friend's Sig a while back and LOVED it. But it was too big for everyday carry. Going to look into the compact version.

Really? How many rapes are prevented every day by guns? You have a verifiable statistic on that?

Rape isn't prevented by owning a gun, it's prevented by teaching men not to rape.

And this^^^ is probably one of the most absurd things I have ever heard anyone utter in my lifetime.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have a Bersa 380 which is an easy shoot plus I have it with the laser on it which pretty much let's my target know whats coming!

I love my little bersa "thunder". Accurate as hell, easy to shoot, safe and small enough to carry in my pocket if I want to. Though I generally carry my .40 s&w.

OP, if it's home defense you're after and worried about kids, get a pump action 10 or 12 gauge shotgun. The sound of jacking in a round is enough to stop most people. Don't have to worry about going through a wall. Stop anything short of an elephant.

And if an elephant is breaking in.....well, that's a whole other set of problems.......
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    For home defense, forget the pistol, go rifle...or a good shotgun. Everyone knows the sound of a shotgun being cocked. Or as I've heard others say, "I'll only use my pistol to fight my way back to where I have my rifle."

If you want it to carry as well, like others have said, try 'em out. I love a 1911 .45 and have been considering a Glock. The only thing about carrying a large caliber is the weight and number of rounds. With my 9mm I get 16 rounds, but with the .45 I'd only have 11.

I personally am not a fan of .22, I really don't see the point of it for defense. Unless it's your little backup when things get really bad.

Just my 2 pennies.

Gun needs to be cocked to begin with. While it can be a terrifying sound, what if the person breaking in has an AK47 and hears you **** a shotgun? Probably gonna start unloading in your direction

Better than hearing you cocking your .22 revolver. Just a suggestion, not everyone is going to agree. And if you reread what I said, the first thing I suggested was a rifle, then a pause for a lesser suggestion of a shotgun.

:)

Better for them to not hear anything other than the first shot. An unloaded gun is no better than a brick. I am far from a criminal but if I broke in someplace and had my AK, which I leave a 48 round mag in, and I heard a shotgun being racked I would cut that half of the house in half so the person couldn't shoot me first.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    How's that saying go again? When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Nuff said.

Yep!

I have a Glock 19 for home defense. It'll do the job if I ever need to use it. :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For home defense or carry is the option that makes a difference. If you are looking for something to conceal and carry the option that makes the best sense is a 25 cal. Baretta... small and yet sufficient damage. If you live in Texas and can carry openly a 44 or 357 tells people... You can't touch this! For home protection nothing can beat a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Load with buck shot round then slug. The first shot will definitely knock them down and the followup will put down the vermin.

Open carry of handguns is illegal in Texas.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

I also carry the Bersa Mini .45 "thunder" GREAT GUN!!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Here are some stats for our friends from across the pond

The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland, found that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations.

Twenty-six percent of English citizens — roughly one-quarter of the population — have been victimized by violent crime. Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

The United States didn’t even make the “top 10″ list of industrialized nations whose citizens were victimized by crime.

Jack Straw, the British home secretary, admitted that “levels of victimization are higher than in most comparable countries for most categories of crime.”

Highlights of the study indicated that:

The percentage of the population that suffered “contact crime” in England and Wales was 3.6 percent, compared with 1.9 percent in the United States and 0.4 percent in Japan.

Burglary rates in England and Wales were also among the highest recorded. Australia (3.9 percent) and Denmark (3.1 per cent) had higher rates of burglary with entry than England and Wales (2.8 percent). In the U.S., the rate was 2.6 percent, according to 1995 figures;

“After Australia and England and Wales, the highest prevalence of crime was in Holland (25 percent), Sweden (25 percent) and Canada (24 percent). The United States, despite its high murder rate, was among the middle ranking countries with a 21 percent victimization rate,” the London Telegraph said.

England and Wales also led in automobile thefts. More than 2.5 percent of the population had been victimized by car theft, followed by 2.1 percent in Australia and 1.9 percent in France. Again, the U.S. was not listed among the “top 10″ nations.

The study found that Australia led in burglary rates, with nearly 4 percent of the population having been victimized by a burglary. Denmark was second with 3.1 percent; the U.S. was listed eighth at about 1.8 percent.

I'm willing to bet Australia shot to the top of those stats immediately after the forced surrendering of their firearms.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Please completely ignore this post.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I carry a .38 special with hollow point ammo. For protection when I hunt I have hubby load the .357's. Nice thing about this gun, is it shoots either one.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet Australia shot to the top of those stats immediately after the forced surrendering of their firearms.
    Actually, they didn't. It was a steady increase, nonetheless. The most anti of anti-gun scholars even admit that banning guns in Australia was an absolute failure. It did not evoke any reduction in crime, whatsoever.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Plus we can open carry in Colorado. I do have my concealed weapon permit also.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Actually, they didn't. It was a steady increase, nonetheless. The most anti of anti-gun scholars even admit that banning guns in Australia was an absolute failure. It did not evoke any reduction in crime, whatsoever.

Agreed. I meant that after they had to forcibly turn in their guns for demolition, that the violent crime rates had to increase substantially.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the gun debates. Always brings out the keyboard cowboys. Every time I read these I have to wonder how many of these tough guys have ever been in a position to either have a gun pulled on them or had to pull one in self defense. Judging by the comments, not many.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the gun debates. Always brings out the keyboard cowboys. Every time I read these I have to wonder how many of these tough guys have ever been in a position to either have a gun pulled on them or had to pull one in self defense. Judging by the comments, not many.

I've had a gun pulled on me and a gun shot at me. And guess what? A gun is what saved my life.

So neener. neener. neener.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    ...There is a risk of using it for suicide...
    Really? I was with you until that sentence.

I do not buy the suicide angle for being anti-gun, either, for the record.

However, there are risks associated with owning a firearm. These risks might even be greater than your risk of being a victim of violent crime, depending on where you live.

Many people still decide, however, that it is better to be prepared and take the risks that come with that decision.
This discussion has been closed.