Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't have a carry permit, and I don't carry one. BUT - I have 3 at home for when the hubby is out of town, or just for target shooting fun.

I have a .22, a 9, and a .45. And I LOVE all three of them. But if someone came into my home in the middle of the night, and I had to grab one, I'd grab my .22 NO QUESTIONS.

It's enough to do damage if shot in the body, enough to kill if I go for your head, and I can control my shot the best. I can handle the 9 and a 45 when target shooting, but in an emergency situation, when your adreneline is rushing, and your hands are shaking, I don't need the extra kick back.

Don't count on it. there was a case where a man took a 9mm shot to the forehead and it just traveled under the skin, never penetrated the bone. Drove himself to the hospital to have it removed. Also, a 22 can be stopped completely by nothing more than a leather jacket or several layers of clothing.

Well, Number one, I didn't say I was shooting Superman, who had an inpenetrable skull. Number two, if you have ever taken a self defense class - you know what part of the head to aim FOR. Like the eyeball, or the soft spot right on the temple. And I doubt the average Joe that would break into my house isn't going to be wearing body armor, and even if he is wearing several layers of clothing, that leather coat isn't going to cover the part of a man that I would take aim for. And I doubt any rapist comes prepared wearing a cup.

I have taken several classes and EVERY class has said shoot center mass. Eyeball shots are for video games not real life!!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    American living in UK - you can't even carry pepper spray here. It is just mind boggling.

Can't wait to get my concealed carry when I move back home :wink:
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the gun debates. Always brings out the keyboard cowboys. Every time I read these I have to wonder how many of these tough guys have ever been in a position to either have a gun pulled on them or had to pull one in self defense. Judging by the comments, not many.

I have never had a gun pulled nor have I ever pulled gun and DREAD ever having to take someones life!! But I also own and know how to use a fire extinguisher and have never had a fire.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the gun debates. Always brings out the keyboard cowboys. Every time I read these I have to wonder how many of these tough guys have ever been in a position to either have a gun pulled on them or had to pull one in self defense. Judging by the comments, not many.
    I went to the door once with my loaded, ready to fire 12 gauge in hand. The *kitten* in question promptly left my property and told everyone in town about the incident. Needless to say, people leave me alone. My house also has never been broken into. People know I will shoot first ask questions later.
    edited for spelling
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I don't have a carry permit, and I don't carry one. BUT - I have 3 at home for when the hubby is out of town, or just for target shooting fun.

I have a .22, a 9, and a .45. And I LOVE all three of them. But if someone came into my home in the middle of the night, and I had to grab one, I'd grab my .22 NO QUESTIONS.

It's enough to do damage if shot in the body, enough to kill if I go for your head, and I can control my shot the best. I can handle the 9 and a 45 when target shooting, but in an emergency situation, when your adreneline is rushing, and your hands are shaking, I don't need the extra kick back.

Don't count on it. there was a case where a man took a 9mm shot to the forehead and it just traveled under the skin, never penetrated the bone. Drove himself to the hospital to have it removed. Also, a 22 can be stopped completely by nothing more than a leather jacket or several layers of clothing.

Well, Number one, I didn't say I was shooting Superman, who had an inpenetrable skull. Number two, if you have ever taken a self defense class - you know what part of the head to aim FOR. Like the eyeball, or the soft spot right on the temple. And I doubt the average Joe that would break into my house isn't going to be wearing body armor, and even if he is wearing several layers of clothing, that leather coat isn't going to cover the part of a man that I would take aim for. And I doubt any rapist comes prepared wearing a cup.

I have taken several classes and EVERY class has said shoot center mass. Eyeball shots are for video games not real life!!
    Wait.. you mean all of those John Woo films are FAKE?
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I've had a gun pulled on me and a gun shot at me. And guess what? A gun is what saved my life.

So neener. neener. neener.

They're known for doing that when properly used.
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i personally like the plasma gun.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    ...Said the tough-guy using an obscure screen name and generic "Nike" avatar from the safety of his lappytop keyboard, away from all the bad people.

Did you get enough attention? Everyone is overwhelmed with your impressive e-Bad@ssedness.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I was fortunate enough that pulling the gun out and making it known that I was armed was enough to scare away the person attempting to break in. I was not required to fire the gun.

That said.....I'm not a tough guy (or girl in my case) just a parent who wants to be able to protect my child. Had the man continued to try and enter my home, yes....I would have fired the gun. Repeatedly.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    ...There is a risk of using it for suicide...
    Really? I was with you until that sentence.

I do not buy the suicide angle for being anti-gun, either, for the record.

However, there are risks associated with owning a firearm. These risks might even be greater than your risk of being a victim of violent crime, depending on where you live.

Many people still decide, however, that it is better to be prepared and take the risks that come with that decision.

Owning a gun should definitely be a risk/reward decision.
    I've been shooting all of my life. I shot combat pistol competition for years and averaged about 18,000 rounds a year in practice and competion.
    About 16 years ago, I co-authored a book on firearms law in the State of Virginia (updated and still available).

I'm up for having a gun...and yet I have NO guns in my house at all.

I have an emotionally handicapped child. When his problems became apparent, the balance shifted from safer with guns around to a real danger of his hurting himself or others. I could have chosen to keep the guns and try to make them as safe and inaccessible as possible, but that would not have eliminated the risk and would have eliminated their effectiveness.

Sold them all, including my wedding present from my wife, the sweetest custom combat .45 I'd ever seen.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    ...Said the tough-guy using an obscure screen name and generic "Nike" avatar from the safety of his lappytop keyboard, away from all the bad people.

Did you get enough attention? Everyone is overwhelmed with your impressive e-Bad@ssedness.

An obscure screen name huh? I'll have to tell my mommy that. And apparently the state to, since it's what is on all my legal documents. If the avatar is generic, please find another exactly like it. And as for my life and my experiences, I don't feel the need, nor have any desire to discuss them with you or on an internet forum. Feeling a little touchy are you?
  • AmysLeanIn13
    Options
    My husband is building me a AR15! A purple one! Can't wait!
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    "Yeah - I actually feel much safer if I know more people are legally carrying guns."

Funny, I feel a lot safer without any guns around.

Also, all that hardwear doesn't seem to be stopping anyone from breaking into your place either.
    Besides, I'd prefer them to take the stuff and let the insurance deal with it that risk killing another person. My things aren't worth a human life.

Amazing things, those cultural differences.

Unfortunately, it may be you or your families "virtue" or life that they take. But hey, I'm sure your insurance will cover that too, right?

I guess your bad guys must be different from ours. Burglaries are rarely violent here.
    I imagine they get violent a lot more quickly if one or both parties has a gun.

Anyways, we could go back and forth on this for a long time and still disagree.
    Let's just say that living in a free country does not mean to me to have the right to protect myself, but to have no need to do so.
    Looks like we're all exactly where we should be. :)

Honey you need to educate yourself... Excluding rape and murder you are MORE likely to be involved in a violent crime in the UK.

Agreed and I shall leave this thread entirely with this thought. "It is better to have it and not need it... than need it and not have it."
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    A couple of other comments here:

1) If you have children in the home, I strongly suggest you consider locking up your firearm. Yes, it is an inconvenience if you need it in an emergency, but depending on where you live, it is probably very unlikely you will ever need it. It is highly likely, however, that your kids will play with your guns.

I grew up with guns since I was about 8. I played with my dad's guns after school countless times, blowing away model airplanes or whatever. Now fortunately I had been taught how to safely shoot so I never had any problems. But I still played with my father's guns when my parents were not home. Kids explore and play with things even when they know they are not supposed to.

If you really need quick access to a firearm, they make quick-access safes.

2) I do not share the amusement many people have with the girl getting knocked over by the shotgun.

Such things like this are almost always a set-up, whereby some "tough guy" gives an unsuspecting new shooter a gun and films them while they hurt themselves. Not only is this dangerous, but it also is a hell of a good way to turn off a new shooter from the sport. No one, woman or otherwise, should be handed a heavy recoil weapon and just turned loose, in front of a camera, for amusement's sake. Especially with smaller shooters, it is very important to teach proper stance, such as leaning into the weapon, and have an instructor standing behind them ready to brace them up if they cannot handle the recoil.

To me, to stand back with a video camera and record someone like this is borderline criminal.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

I don't follow your logic. So I'm a "keyboard commando" because I believe in self-preservation? Because I want to have options to level the playing field should a day come where someone threatens my life or that of my family?

I never claimed to be John Wayne, and will happily go to my grave if I never have to point my gun at another living soul.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

An obscure screen name huh? I'll have to tell my mommy that. And apparently the state to, since it's what is on all my legal documents. If the avatar is generic, please find another exactly like it. And as for my life and my experiences, I don't feel the need, nor have any desire to discuss them with you or on an internet forum. Feeling a little touchy are you?

You don't feel the need to discuss your stuff but you question everyone else's knowledge and experience. Awesome.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Someone needs a hug.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My husband is building me a AR15! A purple one! Can't wait!

Lucky woman!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

If you want a .357 revolver, it will have kick but you can find many made by Ruger or S&W (GP100 and 686 I believe) that will also take .38special.

.22LR will have the lowest amount of recoil and super cheap ammo. It can be used for home/self defense (shot placement matters as usual), but there are better choices.

My wife is a small girl and she can shoot a 9mm no prob. In the end you need to at least try them out in your hand to see if it will work for you. If possible, rent the model you're looking at when you go to the range and try it on for size.

And remember.. keep shooting until the threat is deemed no longer a threat.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Someone needs a hug.

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.