Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Who could do better than Glock in several of abuse test?

Glock 21 buried for two year then it still could fire 500 rounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro

Glock 19 performing 1,000 round torture test in less than 20 minutes. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/10/06/1000-round-9mm-glock-19-torture-test/

If you really want a weapon that can take abuse and keep working, consider this story. Click on the link. This guy has buried his Glock, dragged it behind his truck, ran it over, dropped it from an airplane, and soaked it in salt water. It still goes boom every time.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-q-a_GST9XEg/T8TVRxlRP7I/AAAAAAAAB0Q/c55DV_Ah114/s1600/Tortured+salted+glock.jpg
    It is still a functional gun, but yes it does look gross and ugly. At least it will serve you very well in the time of need.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the gun debates. Always brings out the keyboard cowboys. Every time I read these I have to wonder how many of these tough guys have ever been in a position to either have a gun pulled on them or had to pull one in self defense. Judging by the comments, not many.

I don't follow your logic. So I'm a "keyboard commando" because I believe in self-preservation? Because I want to have options to level the playing field should a day come where someone threatens my life or that of my family?

I never claimed to be John Wayne, and will happily go to my grave if I never have to point my gun at another living soul.

Wow, you all got some pretty big egos to think I was talking about you specifically. But carry on with your bad selves.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the gun debates. Always brings out the keyboard cowboys. Every time I read these I have to wonder how many of these tough guys have ever been in a position to either have a gun pulled on them or had to pull one in self defense. Judging by the comments, not many.
    ...Said the tough-guy using an obscure screen name and generic "Nike" avatar from the safety of his lappytop keyboard, away from all the bad people.

Did you get enough attention? Everyone is overwhelmed with your impressive e-Bad@ssedness.

An obscure screen name huh? I'll have to tell my mommy that. And apparently the state to, since it's what is on all my legal documents. If the avatar is generic, please find another exactly like it. And as for my life and my experiences, I don't feel the need, nor have any desire to discuss them with you or on an internet forum. Feeling a little touchy are you?

You don't feel the need to discuss your stuff but you question everyone else's knowledge and experience. Awesome.

^^This.

Please share your infinite wisdom, Rain.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Wow, you all got some pretty big egos to think I was talking about you specifically. But carry on with your bad selves.
    Size matters. Your last girlfriend lied to you.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Who could do better than Glock in several of abuse test?

Glock 21 buried for two year then it still could fire 500 rounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro

Glock 19 performing 1,000 round torture test in less than 20 minutes. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/10/06/1000-round-9mm-glock-19-torture-test/

If you really want a weapon that can take abuse and keep working, consider this story. Click on the link. This guy has buried his Glock, dragged it behind his truck, ran it over, dropped it from an airplane, and soaked it in salt water. It still goes boom every time.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-q-a_GST9XEg/T8TVRxlRP7I/AAAAAAAAB0Q/c55DV_Ah114/s1600/Tortured+salted+glock.jpg
    It is still a functional gun, but yes it does look gross and ugly. At least it will serve you very well in the time of need.

But the reality is that most (not all) modern guns can handle the limited use that the average gun owner puts them through. Most guns owners won't subject their guns to 'combat/ tactical' courses. Most will sit in a safe or night stand.

Having said that, I do have a Glock 23. :wink:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    ...Said the tough-guy using an obscure screen name and generic "Nike" avatar from the safety of his lappytop keyboard, away from all the bad people.

Did you get enough attention? Everyone is overwhelmed with your impressive e-Bad@ssedness.

An obscure screen name huh? I'll have to tell my mommy that. And apparently the state to, since it's what is on all my legal documents. If the avatar is generic, please find another exactly like it. And as for my life and my experiences, I don't feel the need, nor have any desire to discuss them with you or on an internet forum. Feeling a little touchy are you?

You don't feel the need to discuss your stuff but you question everyone else's knowledge and experience. Awesome.

16 pages of comments and you think I'm talking about you?
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Well then, who exactly were you talking about?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

No. You'll notice I left my comment as the vague "everyone else". I know you're not talking about me.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options

Where did he say anything about himself?

If you're not talking about him, or the ego guy, or Gorilla, or myself... Who exactly are you talking about?

Everyone in the thread...?
  • sjohnny
    Options

Well then, who exactly were you talking about?
    Everyone but me and that other guy apparently.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Maybe he failed-out of the Learn Not To Rape Class, and he's bitter?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Size matters. Your last girlfriend lied to you.
    :laugh:
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their opinion on which gun is best, but the truth is that only you can decide. The best way to do that is to handle as many as you can and find one that you are comfortable with. While we own many firearms, my 4'11" wife is most comfortable with our Ruger .22 Magnum. While it is nowhere near the most powerful handgun we own, it is the one she is most confident in handling. So if you break into my house and I'm not there, that is the handgun you are going to find yourself shot with. Of course, she is more likely to grab the Mossberg, which she handles like a pro.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Why do people who have nothing to add to the conversation have to come into posts and add their opinion on something OTHER that what the poster asked to try to get a thread locked because heaven forbid they don't agree with the theory behind it? Geesh.

Anyhoo, to the OP, I have a S&W 38 special airweight snub nose revolver that I absolutely love. You really don't need a 357 and in the airweight, the kick is pretty heavy even from the 38sp. The good thing is that being an airweight, it doesn't weigh much and being so small it's easy to conceal and carry. I've had a few pretty big guys be absolutely shocked by the kick when they've tried it because they don't see it kick so bad when I shoot it ;) It pays to practice with your carry gun.

I'm not sure where you are, but certain states are more restrictive than others and you might not be able to get a wide range of guns. In my case I'm in MA and we have really strict laws so Glocks and a lot of Kimbers, etc aren't available to us. We have a couple of S&W 9mm semi-autos that I love. I don't think they make my 908 anymore, but it's a nice little semi-auto 3.4" barrel so it's easily concealed and even though it's metal, it's not too heavy. The other is a compact M&P 9mm which is about the same size and a pretty good choice.

Full size guns like the full size M&P or 1911 are more difficult to wear concealed with women's clothes unless you wear a lot of baggy things or you've got a bigger frame. I'm not tiny by any chance, but with low cut pants and tight shirts it's hard to conceal some of the guns that we have. Hence the compact guns that I own.

If you're looking for something just to shoot, a .22 is great. My first gun was a Walther P22. They make it with 2 interchangeable barrels so it's either 5" or 3.4". Both are fun to shoot (and cheap to shoot!) and it's light and comfortable in the hand.

Sorry I didn't have the patience to weed through all the morons saying "guns are bad" "why would you want that" I hope that you make a decision that you love.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

So your intention was to come in here, and throw out a mass-insult to the general populace, but not provide any specifics as to who it was intended for or how you are so much more superior than they, all the while avoiding having to defend yourself. Very manly of you.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Maybe he failed-out of the Learn Not To Rape Class, and he's bitter?

No free TVs for him.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

So your intention was to come in here, and throw out a mass-insult to the general populace, but not provide any specifics as to who it was intended for or how you are so much more superior than they, all the while avoiding having to defend yourself. Very manly of you.

:drinker:
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Isn't there an NRA site for this type of discussion?
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hey, if anyone could possibly figure a way to have a group where we could ask serious questions without people harassing us because we own guns, I'd be interested in joining it. It would be nice for someone like the OP to be able to ask a question without dealing with all the political BS that comes from the uniformed and angry.
  • m_shuman
    Options
    An AR15 for HOME DEFENSE? Are you sure? Because I think that would be fairly dangerous to anyone in an adjacent room or apartment, please correct me if I am wrong. The glock 19 or a shotgun I could definitely understand with some 00 shot in there most likely wouldn't go through several walls. Where as an AR15 would go through a few walls...

This is actually a fairly dangerous assumption.

The fact is, just about any firearm will shoot through several layers of sheet rock. In fact, unless you have a brick home or get lucky and hit a stud in a wall, just about any firearm will shoot right through one side of a house and out the other side.

A shotgun will easily shoot through 7 layers of sheet rock. That is 3 and a half interior walls. I don't think there is any room in my house with 3 walls between it and any other part of the house.

With the exception of a .22 all that does is trash the interior wall or the exterior siding in our case.
This discussion has been closed.