June Starters - January 3rd

Options

Replies

• magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Kandyjo ... you're too cute. Isn't it funny that after all this time of this new lifestyle and these new habits we still get shocked when our bodies do something odd like that? Okay ... so last night I finally got back to the gym ... between Zumba and 20 minutes on the treadmill ... I burned 439 calories according to my HRM ... WOO HOO!!! You know ... my membership allows me to attend 3 different locations in my town and last night was the first time I was really grateful for that. I went to the Zumba class at the location I usually go to and it's so true ... the instructor makes the class ... it was the first time I went to a Zumba class and was very disappointed. She was a terrible instructor ... you would at least expect her to keep with the music right? She was more interested in herself in the mirror then what any of us were doing. I remember thinking to myself "If this is the first time that any of these ladies attended a Zumba class then they would be thinking "What's so great about Zumba?" and that broke my heart. If the instructor knows what they are doing ... it's just plain "FABUTASTIC". My favourite instructor gives 2 classes on Saturday so I'll hit one of those. Hope you all have a great day my friends ... it's so great to be back.
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    KJ do you want me to change your cw on the ss to reflect the 4 lb loss? I'm changing mine. I can't help it. I had to hop on the scale this moring and I lost 1.3 lbs!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    KJ do you want me to change your cw on the ss to reflect the 4 lb loss? I'm changing mine. I can't help it. I had to hop on the scale this moring and I lost 1.3 lbs!
    If you're going to change your's, yeah, you can go ahead and change mine... But if you don't, it's ok :smile:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Kandyjo ... you're too cute. Isn't it funny that after all this time of this new lifestyle and these new habits we still get shocked when our bodies do something odd like that? Okay ... so last night I finally got back to the gym ... between Zumba and 20 minutes on the treadmill ... I burned 439 calories according to my HRM ... WOO HOO!!! You know ... my membership allows me to attend 3 different locations in my town and last night was the first time I was really grateful for that. I went to the Zumba class at the location I usually go to and it's so true ... the instructor makes the class ... it was the first time I went to a Zumba class and was very disappointed. She was a terrible instructor ... you would at least expect her to keep with the music right? She was more interested in herself in the mirror then what any of us were doing. I remember thinking to myself "If this is the first time that any of these ladies attended a Zumba class then they would be thinking "What's so great about Zumba?" and that broke my heart. If the instructor knows what they are doing ... it's just plain "FABUTASTIC". My favourite instructor gives 2 classes on Saturday so I'll hit one of those. Hope you all have a great day my friends ... it's so great to be back.

I miss Zumba so much!! I'm jealous!! And yeah, the instructor makes a HUGE difference!! I'm glad you are getting back into the swing of things :) 2010 is going to be OUR YEAR!!!
  • busymom74
    Options
    It's changed. lol Should I post the ss now since we have everyone logged from last week? Or should I wait to see if we get a few that were missing last week? Also, I'm about to post body shots before / during of me on the ss. I don't think there's a difference in body but I can see it in my face.
  • kandyjo
    Options
    It's changed. lol Should I post the ss now since we have everyone logged from last week? Or should I wait to see if we get a few that were missing last week? Also, I'm about to post body shots before / during of me on the ss. I don't think there's a difference in body but I can see it in my face.

I would just do whatever you want to do on the ss... if you want to go ahead and post it now :smile:
    Going to check out your pics! :wink:
  • busymom74
    Options
    I posted the ss on the ws. I'm not sure if I'll have time later. We need a spotlight! I'm dry on creative ways on how to pick SL. lol
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I posted the ss on the ws. I'm not sure if I'll have time later. We need a spotlight! I'm dry on creative ways on how to pick SL. lol

Did we have anyone who acutally LOST weight over the holidays? If so, that would be a good spotlight for this week/month...
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Your picture is amazing! You look smaller all over... ESPECIALLY in your face, neck and shoulders....that is where you can see it immediately, but you are definitely smaller all over :wink:
    And you lost the most with 2.2 lbs... So, why don't you just put yourself as the spot light....
    Here is what you need to post...

Our spotlighter this week is Busymom74. Busymom lost 2.2 lbs this week and has set the bar for weight loss in the new year! Busymom74 also dedicates her time and energy to keep up with the Junestarters spreadsheet and website which is a huge encouragement and motiavation for the whole group!
    Thanks, Busymom74! And congratulations on being our biggest "loser" this week!

Now, you don't have to write anything about yourself (which I know is HARD)!! BUT you should be our spotlight!! :drinker:
  • busymom74
    Options
    Thanks KJ, I didn't think it was that big of a difference. lol

Thanks again :blushing: :blushing: but I was just SL a couple weeks ago and I wouldn't feel right. lol Especially since it was just the weight I put on during the holidays and the ws is my geeky pleasure to maintain. :bigsmile:

I did one for Linnebooc, mamakatspokae and momto4wifeto1.

They were the only three on the ss to lose during the holidays. :happy:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Thanks KJ, I didn't think it was that big of a difference. lol

Thanks again :blushing: :blushing: but I was just SL a couple weeks ago and I wouldn't feel right. lol Especially since it was just the weight I put on during the holidays and the ws is my geeky pleasure to maintain. :bigsmile:

I did one for Linnebooc, mamakatspokae and momto4wifeto1.

They were the only three on the ss to lose during the holidays. :happy:

Awesome... I forgot that you were spotlight a couple of weeks ago! You still deserve it :drinker:
    Awesome!!!!! GREAT for linnebooc, mamakat and momto4wifeto1 !!!!!!!!
  • magglett
    Options
    Happy Weekend Everyone ... It's Sunny Out Today ... YAY!!! Went to do my 10:15 AM Zumba class in the gym this morning and my favourite instructor wasn't there ... so they called in the instructor that was on the other night ... you know ... the one who sucks ... so my friend and I left and went out for breakfast and vented a bit then we went to the other gym location and I spent an hour on the treadmill ... it was nice ... I watched part of a movie while I was walking. I feel great now ... it's good to be moving again. We did some shopping and I stopped and picked up a couple of movies and will enjoy sitting there watching them in my jammies with my hubby tonight. All in all I would say its a good Saturday here. I hope you're all doing well ... drop a note if you drop by.
  • schlieffen
    Options
    It's a so-so Saturday for me. I've been having some weirdo pains in my side the past few days so I decided to take it easy with the exercise for a few days. I'm also currently at work :grumble: because we've got an all-day meeting with the big guns who give us the money to do our research on Wednesday. I'm doing the presentation for what my lab has accomplished in the past couple of months. I don't mind giving the presentation at all, I just have to put it together. Fun times! :ohwell:

But on the plus side I went shopping on my way into work and I bought a pair of size 6 pants!!! :noway: :bigsmile: They're a wee bit snug, but one they'll stretch out a bit and two I know I'll shrink into them :tongue: If you had told me when I started here in June with all you fantastically amazing ladies that I'd be wearing a size 6 and weighing 141 lbs in January I'd call you nuts! I'm SO grateful for you guys, I honestly couldn't have done it without you all! :heart:
  • magglett
    Options
    Holy Moly!!! A SIX 6?!? No Kidding!! Way to go my friend ... you should be so proud of yourself. Seriously ... CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    I should write an advice column. Screw being an English teacher. Give me someone's personal problems and I'll take a whack at em.

I just spent a half an hour talking to a friend of mine. 26 year old male, upset that my 22 year old male friend recently lost his virginity and rubbed it in his face. I spent 30 minutes telling this guy how it was so much better to find someone special other than a quick release and how if he was unhappy, "change something. There is a step to be taken, somewhere. You just have to find it."

His response was thus: "shouldn't I be giving YOU advice lol, I'm the elder one here "

I didn't remind him that I had been where he was at. Pretty damn unhappy, feeling like I was just floating along with no mooring. Single and depressed about it, and gaining weight by what seemed the day. But I did something about it. I changed something in my life (quite a few things actually).

That's not to say I'm not floundering now. I've hit my "Crisis weight" as my therapist calls it; the number that I seem to get down to and then go right back up again for some reason. So I'm struggling with whatever emotions are holding me back. The biggest one is that I feel less vulnerable by being this large. I'm a tall girl and I'm big. I can look pretty intimidating if I want to, and less people are like to try physical violence against me. I was physically abused as a child, right smack dab when I started getting obese. Not a coincidence by a long shot.

But at the same time I have to keep reminding myself that I HAVE lost 34 pounds in sixth months. Even with my holiday gain I'm still no longer Morbidly obese. I'm still under that Crisis weight of 270. If it takes a few weeks to lose one more pound and then a few more to lose another, the fact is I'm doing it. I'm taking those steps as slowly or as quickly as I can.

In about 7 months (as of the 12th of this month) I've lost 34 pounds (maybe 35 wouldn't that be a nice number?). That's about 5 pounds a month. A little over 1 pound a week average.

I've kept up my grades in school while holding down a part time job that requires a lot of me emotionally.

And I've managed to nab myself a boyfriend who fits in with my friends and is a good balance of spending time together and having separate spheres. Who genuinely likes me for who I am not what I look like, and supports me in my weight loss.

And yes, it was a HUGE step for me to get into therapy. I've only been for two sessions but I can already see that it's really going to help. Just realizing the fact that I am this weight not only because of my food choices (which play a big part no matter what), but because I feel -safe- at this weight was a huge eye opener. It's something in the back of my head already that plays out when I reach for something to eat. Am I eating this because I really want to or am I eating this because of something else?

I won't let my past dictate who I am to that degree. I sure as hell won't let it keep me from having a happy healthy life that will eventually lead to happy healthy children.

And you know what? Even if June 2010 comes and I'm still 269 pounds, I won't be -too- bummed out as long as I'm making progress elsewhere. It's not the weight that matters. Its my happiness. Of course I would much rather be down another 35 pounds AND be making strides in other factors of my life. But hey. I'm on this journey for better or for worse and I'm going to just keep going.
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Amanda ~ you may not know it, but you are conquering your issues!!! I can hear the change in your attitude in your posts now as opposed to your posts in the beginning!! I am SO INCREDIBLY PROUD OF YOU!!! It will still be a struggle...it takes our bodies some time to catch up with our brain :laugh: but I think you have made an incredible breakthrough!! I know that we are going to be seeing amazing losses from you!! You have been a great sorce of encouragement for me and I am REALLY THE ELDER ONE :laugh:

schlieffen~ Congrats on the size 6 !!!! WOW that is so incredible AWESOME!!!!

Maggs~ So glad to hear that you had a GREAT Saturday!! Good job on not giving up on your workout because you were disappointed with Zumba!!!!!

Small victory with me this morning... As I am up getting ready for church, I took a look in the mirror and I am pleased to say that I am actually seeing results with my stomach (abs) YAY!!!!! AND I DECIDED TO PULL OUT A 12 -14 SIZE SHIRT THIS MORNIGN AND IT FIT!!!! Perfectly!!! I'm excited!!!!! So, I am back to knocking off the inches!!!! I know that the scale will start showing it... I have been doing a lot of strength training so I know I'm gaining muscle!!!! I decided I needed some help burning fat :laugh: So, I'm building muscle to help me out there :)
    Can't wait to see what our weigh-ins look like this week!!!!! JUNE STARTERS ROCK!!!!!!!
  • schlieffen
    Options
    Amanda, like Kandy said you have made an incredible breakthrough. You certainly sound happier and more positive lately, and I'm really happy for you! It sounds like the progress you're making will come a long way to getting you to your goal and a happy and healthy life. I wish you continued success and keep rockin' it!! :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • schlieffen
    Options
    Small victory with me this morning... As I am up getting ready for church, I took a look in the mirror and I am pleased to say that I am actually seeing results with my stomach (abs) YAY!!!!! AND I DECIDED TO PULL OUT A 12 -14 SIZE SHIRT THIS MORNIGN AND IT FIT!!!! Perfectly!!! I'm excited!!!!! So, I am back to knocking off the inches!!!! I know that the scale will start showing it... I have been doing a lot of strength training so I know I'm gaining muscle!!!! I decided I needed some help burning fat :laugh: So, I'm building muscle to help me out there :)
    Can't wait to see what our weigh-ins look like this week!!!!! JUNE STARTERS ROCK!!!!!!!

Wooo!!! Look at you shrinking away! :laugh: Keep up the fantastic work!!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Amanda- Ditto as to what everyone else said. You def sound more positive. And I find myself really enjoying what you are writing...I remember you said you wrote that novel, and I can tell that you have a gift for the written word. Anyway, keep up the great work and get far far away from that "crisis weight!!" It's good that you are in therapy talking everything out...wish you the best!

Schliffen- a 6!? Hey there, skinny :) I have one pair of 6s that I left at home with my Mom; maybe one day I can fit in them! Congrats!!!

Mags- It's good to see that you're getting back into it. The thought of being active is always like ughhhh, but as soon as you do it, you feel great. Back on the wagon again :wink:

KJ- Yay! I'm glad that you took a chance on the smaller shirt...those 15 lbs. really have made a difference!
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Hey, ladies!!! It's Sunday afternoon for me here in chilly Texas :) I just wanted to jump on here really quick and encourage everyone to start this week off strong!!! Let's make this one of our greatest weeks this year!!! :drinker:
    Just wanted to share a little bit of my day with you:
    First of all, our church had some pipes freeze in our old building (we use it for children's church and Sunday School space... Anyway, my husband always volunteers to do work around the church so he volunteered (with some other "young" guys) to fix the all the issues this cold weather is causing on the water works at our church... So, instead of the normal, sit-down lunch on Sunday afternoon, we did fast food... I have been so good and haven't had fast food in a LOOOONG time... So, anyway, needless to say...I didn't do good at lunch AT ALL!!!! I really, REALLY wanted to sit around and beat myself up about it (makes no sense, but it was my first instinct)... So, I actually thought about amandadaisylotus (TRUE STORY!!!) and about how she is growing and discovering reasons why she sabotages herself... I realized (EUREKA!!) that is what I always do!! When I slip up (and lets face it ladies, WE DO) that I think to myself, "Well, there it goes! My whole day is ruined. I might as well splurge"!!! Only to find that that method is hard to recover from. So, I decided... NO WAY!!!! I'm going to get up off my butt and do my 30 Day Shred!!! I'm not taking steps backward this year!!!! And that is just what I did... And let me tell you... What that decision did for my self esteem and confidence and will power!!! It was only a 20 minute workout, but I really feel that this decisive moment has changed my life... Think I'm over exagerrating? I really don't think so.... That old thinking has sabbotaged me SO many times...
    So, thank you, Amanda, for sharing your journey with us!!! It really, really helped me today and more than likely, for the rest of my life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!! :heart: