People telling me that I'm too thin..um I'm MAD!

Options

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere NEAR emaciated in the slightest. However, my workplace is full of overweight people who eat like slobs.

. . . Why do people who are unhealthy--look at those who ARE healthy as having a disorder?!

. . . Don't tell me I'm emaciated and don't eat enough because I'm thin and in shape!

. . . Ughhh why do people have to be so ignorant? I've gotten it my whole life and I'm so tired of it. "I'm worried about you" "Don't lose any more weight, you're too thin" NO..I'm not too thin. Your PERCEPTION of thin is skewed just like the majority of America! Don't mistake emaciated for HEALTHY! There is a huge difference.

I agree that people shouldn't be commenting on your weight, low or high. However, it is difficult to have much sympathy for you when you start off your post, in the Motivation and Support thread of a website with many overweight people, by referring to the overweight people you work with as "slobs" and indicate that you assume everyone you work with who is overweight is unhealthy and doesn't exercise.

I think we could all stand to be less judgmental about people's weight, but the best way to get to that point is to model that behavior yourself. If I worked at your office, I suppose you would assume that I drink milkshakes all day and don't exercise, when in fact neither of those things are true, and weren't true even when I was at my highest weight. You can't assume everything about someone's behavior from their weight. It sounds like you maintain a healthy weight through healthy habits, but a lot of thin people maintain a low weight by starving themselves or eating low nutrition diet products. You simply don't know.

While our idea of what constitutes normal is skewing upward in some places, in other ways it's skewed downward: certainly any woman you see on a magazine cover is going to be called "fat" if she is even five pounds into the healthy range for her height. You can see the effects of that in many posts on here, usually by young women who are trying to get to ten pounds below a healthy weight so that they won't feel like "fat slobs". There's that word again. See how unhelpful it is?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere NEAR emaciated in the slightest. However, my workplace is full of overweight people who eat like slobs.

. . . Why do people who are unhealthy--look at those who ARE healthy as having a disorder?!

. . . Don't tell me I'm emaciated and don't eat enough because I'm thin and in shape!

. . . Ughhh why do people have to be so ignorant? I've gotten it my whole life and I'm so tired of it. "I'm worried about you" "Don't lose any more weight, you're too thin" NO..I'm not too thin. Your PERCEPTION of thin is skewed just like the majority of America! Don't mistake emaciated for HEALTHY! There is a huge difference.

I agree that people shouldn't be commenting on your weight, low or high. However, it is difficult to have much sympathy for you when you start off your post, in the Motivation and Support thread of a website with many overweight people, by referring to the overweight people you work with as "slobs" and indicate that you assume everyone you work with who is overweight is unhealthy and doesn't exercise.

I think we could all stand to be less judgmental about people's weight, but the best way to get to that point is to model that behavior yourself. If I worked at your office, I suppose you would assume that I drink milkshakes all day and don't exercise, when in fact neither of those things are true, and weren't true even when I was at my highest weight. You can't assume everything about someone's behavior from their weight. It sounds like you maintain a healthy weight through healthy habits, but a lot of thin people maintain a low weight by starving themselves or eating low nutrition diet products. You simply don't know.

While our idea of what constitutes normal is skewing upward in some places, in other ways it's skewed downward: certainly any woman you see on a magazine cover is going to be called "fat" if she is even five pounds into the healthy range for her height. You can see the effects of that in many posts on here, usually by young women who are trying to get to ten pounds below a healthy weight so that they won't feel like "fat slobs". There's that word again. See how unhelpful it is?

Haters going to hate
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Some of them say it because they care. Others say it because they're nasty, and that's what bothers me. The one lady at work the other day was saying stuff to me and I told her how much I weigh and i was like "130 is at the upper half of the healthy weight range for my height" and she goes "for what, an emaciated person? yeah, okay..." Umm who do you think you are, lady!!

I think 130 and 5'6" is on the lower half of healthy, not the upper half. Healthy is 115-154 for 5'6".
  • maricash
    Options

Haters going to hate

What a cogent and classy response. I will ponder it all day, mining it for new and fascinating insights! Thanks.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Some of them say it because they care. Others say it because they're nasty, and that's what bothers me. The one lady at work the other day was saying stuff to me and I told her how much I weigh and i was like "130 is at the upper half of the healthy weight range for my height" and she goes "for what, an emaciated person? yeah, okay..." Umm who do you think you are, lady!!

Sounds like jealousy. Just give her a chart that shows her risk level of heart disease and diabetes type 2. That'll shut her up.
  • tenaheff
    Options
    Why do so many people on this site give unsolicited advice? The OP didn't ask for advice regarding how many calories she eats a day. She is just venting.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Haters going to hate

What a cogent and classy response. I will ponder it all day, mining it for new and fascinating insights! Thanks.

Just calling it as i see it. This is a motivation and support section of the forums that works for both skinny and overweight people. :)
  • maricash
    Options
    Just calling it as i see it. This is a motivation and support section of the forums that works for both skinny and overweight people. :)

Yes, and referring to overweight people as "slobs", and making other assumptions about them, as the OP did, isn't motivating or supportive, which was my original point.

The OP is complaining that people are making judgments about her based on her weight. She is correct to complain, as people should not be making those comments. However, it is equally wrong for her to make judgments about others based on their weight. Both simplistic judgments contribute to an atmosphere which makes it difficult for people to develop healthy habits and are neither motivating nor supportive.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I haven't been told that I am too thin yet but I have been told "you are fine, don't go overboard with the weight loss." I am not even halfway to my first goal yet. I think it would be impossible to completely lose my curves, so far I am only seeing them become firmer and more defined. My family are all fans of me losing weight but my mom and sister usually don't say much because it is like they are just waiting for me to fail again. I think part of them doesn't expect me to succeed because I have failed so many times before. But I never really tried before so I wish they would be more supportive but I guess I also understand why they aren't more supportive. My dad is an all around good guy. He makes comments about my weight loss when I least expect them and in such a way that I just have to laugh. Like I was gardening one day when he stopped by my house and he made an off handed comment like "hey, your butt is getting smaller!" It caught me off guard and made me laugh so hard. I am in this for the long haul and I don't care if people think I look "fine" or "okay" I know where I want to be and I will know when it is time to stop losing and just maintain. Just keep doing your thing and tune out the doubters and haters. They are just jealous that they haven't found the determination to get fit like you have. :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Yes, and referring to overweight people as "slobs", and making other assumptions about them, as the OP did, isn't motivating or supportive, which was my original point.

The OP is complaining that people are making judgments about her based on her weight. She is correct to complain, as people should not be making those comments. However, it is equally wrong for her to make judgments about others based on their weight. Both simplistic judgments contribute to an atmosphere which makes it difficult for people to develop healthy habits and are neither motivating nor supportive.

They probably are slobs. Why are you getting so offended? She didn't call you a slob. Slob was in reference to her coworkers. You're just a hater.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people on this site give unsolicited advice? The OP didn't ask for advice regarding how many calories she eats a day. She is just venting.

When you make a thread to vent about a topic, you open yourself up to be criticized on that topic.
  • nmp6454
    nmp6454 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies so if I am repeating, I am sorry!

I am also 5'6/5'7" and between 125 and 130. I understand where you are coming from.

I don't believe it is okay to comment on a persons size/weight if they are small or large. I also had coworkers comment on my eating and exercising that were overwieght and not active. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to tell them to put down the pizza, eat some fruit and take a walk, so why is it appropriate for them to tell me to eat a cheeseburger?

If there is actual heartfelt concern (or a reason for concern), fine, but I also believe it to be true in the opposite direction, meaning an actual concern for people over eating or not exercising.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

Seriously, I know that it's annoying but just keep doing what you're doing. They'll think twice about it once they are sick and on medication.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    While it's stupid for them to make judgments about you, aren't you kind of doing the same thing when you refer to them as slobs? It's a two-way street. This is why I always keep to myself. Always. Ignoring people is an art that takes awhile to master, but it's sooooooo worth it. JUST IGNORE THEM. My mom always said that all throughout school when kids made fun of me, and it turns out that was the best advice she's ever given. Just let it roll off your back. There are always going to be people flapping their mouths and getting up in your business. Don't give them the satisfaction of getting p*ssed off.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't judge skinny or healthy people as having an eating disorder. My best friend is like a stick and it just happens to be that when her dad was her age, he would eat and eat to try to gain weight and he would end up losing weight.

It is all about eating the right things. Personally, I rather snack on small things i like then eat a big thing that wil make me uncomfortable later .

You could also have a faster metabolism.

Good job on staying strong and bringing your own food. I know it has definitely helped me since I moved into my own place and got more hours at work.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. People keep telling me the same thing and I weigh 154lbs give or take.
    They always say why are you dieting if you don't want to lose anymore weight. They don't get switching
    to a healthier lifestyle. I have found though that some times you inspire others to switch there eating
    habits. Just six months ago I weighed 216lbs. Some people call me an inspiration which is kind of cool, but
    there are those people that question if I am eating correctly.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. They're either ignorant or envious.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I have the same issue. People keep telling me the same thing and I weigh 154lbs give or take.
    They always say why are you dieting if you don't want to lose anymore weight. They don't get switching
    to a healthier lifestyle. I have found though that some times you inspire others to switch there eating
    habits. Just six months ago I weighed 216lbs. Some people call me an inspiration which is kind of cool, but
    there are those people that question if I am eating correctly.

6 months and 62 pounds would raise red flags for me. So I'd be one of those questioning whether you're eating correctly. Congrats on reaching your goal but I am not shocked by people showing concern.
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump... so I can come back to it later. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    This is a great Thread.
    I get told all the time that I am now TOO SKINNY. I tell everyone, THANK YOU. If they continue to LECTURE me, I revert to my favorite line: GO *kitten* YOURSELF.