People telling me that I'm too thin..um I'm MAD!

Options
12346»

Replies

• lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. And no, I'm not referring to the people at my workplace as fat slobs. in fact, I love many of the people I work with. But the eating habits there are not of the best quality. THAT'S the point I was making. I'm in no way judging their size or even them as people, because they are (for the most part, give or take a few) amazing. I just wish there were healthier habits taking place there, as opposed to the ones that are in place now.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options

When I went for a physical last month, I asked my doctor about it. I told him that I based my goal on the height/weight chart here on MFP, which I assumed to be accurate, but I couldn't be sure.

Where is this chart? I would be interested in seeing it.

Well, not really a chart; I was referring to the BMI calculator:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
  • sundrine
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this. While I was working in a poor town where the obesity rate was probably even higher than the us average, I was frequently referred to as "the little skinny one" by overweight people. I was accused of being too skinny, of never eating, and when I ate meals with people, they looked at me like I was crazy when I didn't pile mashed potatoes and weird marshmallow goop "salad" on my plate, instead filling it with mostly vegetables and small portions of the unhealthy stuff. I am not "skinny", I'm actually pretty curvy for my height, being 5'3 and a size 5/6. But these people just loved to ostracize me because of my relative thinness.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I've been getting a lot of the same comments at my workplace. I told a couple women I work with about buying new pants a size smaller than usual and they were still too loose. Instead of congratulating me, I got a snarky comment, "That's because you've lost too much weight! I hope you're not planning on losing anymore" I'm 5'6 and 139, I still have another 10 more to go. I mean yeah, I probably look fine in my clothes, however, I know my body isn't where I want it to be yet ... lol they don't see me naked! They also make comments about what I eat when I'm on break which is annoying, some woman actually bought me a muffin the other day, saying I wasn't eating enough.

OMG I say this all the time to people who tell me I am too skinny. You dont see me naked and until I am happy with my body I will do what I want to do. I am not unhealthy. I have energy. I just dont eat like I used to. And I am 5'6" but I weigh 112.
  • jrmartinlv702
    Options
    Yeah, I get this crap from the in-laws all the time. Three years ago I was up to 275 pounds (at 5'10') and ate a lot of garbage. Over the next two and a half years I gave up a lot of the garbage and got down to 242. Back in June I started training with a karate dojo and am now sitting at about 206-208. Now the comments have started: "You're so tiny!" "You're a man. You should eat more." "If you get too thin you're gonna start getting sick." I want to respond but it's no use because these comments come from decades of ingrained mentality that men are supposed to be big and husky (both my father-in-law and brother-in-law are big guys). It drives me nuts, but the only comment I feel the need to respond with is the damn truth - "I FEEL GREAT!" No need to mention that NO I don't want bread, tortillas, fries, manteca, doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, or whatever, all the time. No need to chronicle with them all the work I do in the dojo. They see me cook all the time and know what I eat, so I don't understand what they're so worried about. They see me come home and smell the sweat on me, too. Sometimes I get frustrated and wonder what the **** all the squabbling is about. No need for that, though. I'm doing this for me and my actions, energy level, and health will speak for themselves.

It's all good. Imma get mine either way.

Ultimately, those of us who decide to take a course of action that involves reducing body weight have our reasons. These are our bodies and we have to do what's best for them, whether other people are comfortable with it or not. I don't really have a goal weight any more so much as I have a goal body composition and fitness level. I'm going to enjoy a quality of life as I get older that previous generations never considered (I'm almost 36 now). I WILL live life to the fullest! :-) If that involves family constantly whining that I'm too skinny, SO BE IT.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It annoying to say the least. Before I got sick 13 years ago I was one of those lucky gals who could eat anything and not gain, had been like this since a teenager right up until I was 31. I am 5'10 and weighed 54 kilo. I was forever getting called anorexic and told to fatten up. You just have to ignore it and carry on, don't even acknowledge the comments.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere NEAR emaciated in the slightest. However, my workplace is full of overweight people who eat like slobs.

. . . Why do people who are unhealthy--look at those who ARE healthy as having a disorder?!

. . . Don't tell me I'm emaciated and don't eat enough because I'm thin and in shape!

. . . Ughhh why do people have to be so ignorant? I've gotten it my whole life and I'm so tired of it. "I'm worried about you" "Don't lose any more weight, you're too thin" NO..I'm not too thin. Your PERCEPTION of thin is skewed just like the majority of America! Don't mistake emaciated for HEALTHY! There is a huge difference.

I agree that people shouldn't be commenting on your weight, low or high. However, it is difficult to have much sympathy for you when you start off your post, in the Motivation and Support thread of a website with many overweight people, by referring to the overweight people you work with as "slobs" and indicate that you assume everyone you work with who is overweight is unhealthy and doesn't exercise.

I think we could all stand to be less judgmental about people's weight, but the best way to get to that point is to model that behavior yourself. If I worked at your office, I suppose you would assume that I drink milkshakes all day and don't exercise, when in fact neither of those things are true, and weren't true even when I was at my highest weight. You can't assume everything about someone's behavior from their weight. It sounds like you maintain a healthy weight through healthy habits, but a lot of thin people maintain a low weight by starving themselves or eating low nutrition diet products. You simply don't know.

While our idea of what constitutes normal is skewing upward in some places, in other ways it's skewed downward: certainly any woman you see on a magazine cover is going to be called "fat" if she is even five pounds into the healthy range for her height. You can see the effects of that in many posts on here, usually by young women who are trying to get to ten pounds below a healthy weight so that they won't feel like "fat slobs". There's that word again. See how unhelpful it is?

THIS. THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Interesting site to call overweight ppl 'fat slobs'... smh

After reading more of your posts on here I'm curious if you've ever considered meditating or Yoga daily? You seem quite upset about this work situation. We can't control what others do or say but we can control how we react to it. Yoga is a very relaxing and also energying way to put the world aside for a bit, mediation can do wonders for stress.

I can't imagine it being much fun being this worked up each day when dealing with co-workers.

:flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I told them one day what I ate for breakfast and lunch and they were like wow, you actually ate more than I did today. I was like yeah, you guys think I don't eat!

Devil's advocate, but you can't expect them to be mind readers. Instead of getting angry, why not just do what you did there and explain what you're doing and why it works for you?

I had a lot of friends join MFP when I was raving about how easy it is to track my food and how I'm so happy with what I'm eating. Your coworkers might still be in that mental space where they believe dieting=deprivation=not enjoying life. Educate them. :smile:
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

I have a small frame but still have weight on my hips, butt and thighs that need to go. So really, I COULD stand to lose another 7 lbs or so, people just don't notice it because I wear scrubs all day and cover it up. I do have quite a bit of fat in those areas though that needs to be blasted away and that's why I'm still trying to lose.

I have a similar frame at 5'6" and 129 lbs. No amount of cardio is going to help with your body recomposition. You are going to have the same "problem areas" no matter how much cardio you do. Eat some more food (like 2000 calories per day and find something heavy to lift. You don't need to lose any more weight. See LorinaLynn. She eats twice as much as you, lifts heavy, and continues to make progress in changing her body.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    But lifting heavy ... doesn't that cause women to "bulk up" and look like a man? I mean... if she lifts heavy she might start growing facial hair and ****!