"Natural Flavor" ingredient exposed?

Options
http://www.skinnybliss.com/60-minutes-the-flavorists-addictive-flavors-of-the-artificial-flavor-industry-exposed.html

What is your thoughts on this? Accurate or agenda? Fact or cherry picked facts or just flat out fiction?

I am taking it as fact, explains why I (mostly clean eater) am not addicted to food and my wife (non-clean eater) still is.

Replies

• greeneyedKat
    Options
    I believe it! It explains why my husband is addicted to the junk food he eats. I try to eat real food as much as possible and he really doesn't care what he eats, as long as it tastes good .....very frustrating in this household!!!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    in on eccentricdad thread.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    433542_o.gif&sa=X&ei=7KVhUMGwDcfryAGDo4HICw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEv24tUAE6-dG8egfvjkwnZJjBXkQ
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    in on eccentricdad thread.

^^ This.

And it's journalism that sells --- it is nice to try to blame "someone" in a "swiss company" for overeating.
    I gained weight because I ate real food, too much of it. Fois gras to wine to all sorts of sauces and breads and butters. A schnitzel or 200.

But hey, if you want to point a finger to someone else...

Edit: There is some truth in that type of journalism but it overstretches its position.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Please explain how anything found in food is not natural. There's a reason they use those quotes when labeling them "artificial". It's a made up term used to manipulate people.

And we aren't addicted to food. We need it to survive. Kicking the habit is not recommended.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    42577ba2-8600-e0cd.jpg
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    I don't know...I think a lot of food addiction has to do with the mental aspect.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    facepalm2.gif
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    42577ba2-8600-e0cd.jpg
    LOL
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ttdQV.gif
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    This is why i NEED A CHEESEBURGER!!!!!

mega_tamago_01.jpg
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    This is why i NEED A CHEESEBURGER!!!!!

mega_tamago_01.jpg

I WANT!!!!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I saw that report on 60 minutes, and its only common sense. They make food taste better.

When food tastes better people want to eat it more, the same reason someone would want coffee with heavy cream instead of skim. There is no "addiction", as you so ignorantly put it, but a lack of self control by the consumers, the fat, lazy, and obese populace.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    "natural flavor" usually means "something really gross that you wouldn't eat if you knew what it was, but it IS natural."
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    42577ba2-8600-e0cd.jpg

Funny you post this picture because my wife is making me watch the documentary this guy is in. While it's fascinating to listen to someone else's perspective about how our ancestors did the fine cuts and made these huge pyramids, I think we are just insulting the intelligence of our ancestors by saying they were too stupid to figure out these things on their own and they needed aliens to help them. But quite ironic you are posting this right now and we are in the middle of watching it at the moment.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    "natural flavor" usually means "something really gross that you wouldn't eat if you knew what it was, but it IS natural."

And sometimes it means "We can call whatever we like natural because it's not like any of this came from Pluto."
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    42577ba2-8600-e0cd.jpg

Funny you post this picture because my wife is making me watch the documentary this guy is in. While it's fascinating to listen to someone else's perspective about how our ancestors did the fine cuts and made these huge pyramids, I think we are just insulting the intelligence of our ancestors by saying they were too stupid to figure out these things on their own and they needed aliens to help them. But quite ironic you are posting this right now and we are in the middle of watching it at the moment.

wait what?

:shakes head:
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    There is no "addiction", as you so ignorantly put it, but a lack of self control by the consumers, the fat, lazy, and obese populace.

No name calling first of all (the ignorantly part was unnecessary).

And an "addiction" is by definition "Physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects." so in short it means "to have no self control" so thank you for your two cents but maybe you need to stop looking for ways to attack me and just play along in this conversation without personal bias towards people who aren't as smart as you (clearly me).
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    I believe it wholeheartedly. The salt, fat, and "flavors" in processed food are addicting and breaking that addiction is doubly difficult when the cheap, easy food is loaded with them. Eating clean is definitely more difficult to begin with but the feeling of not being loaded up with all that gross stuff is unbeatable.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And sometimes it means "We can call whatever we like natural because it's not like any of this came from Pluto."

Pluto is un-natural?
    Like devil-spawn?

pluto.jpg
This discussion has been closed.