"Natural Flavor" ingredient exposed?

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It's sad that the naysayers think you must be depriving yourself or eating nothing but gruel if you don't eat processed food. There is so much delicious food out there that doesn't require weird-tasting manufactured flavors to make it good.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So what do you eat? Gruel? Why avoid stuff that tastes good just because it tastes good? Why does doing something you enjoy have to equal addiction? I like food. I like really good food. I'm really good at cooking really good food that tastes good and I enjoy trying new foods and developing new ways to prepare them so they taste freakin awesome. It's got nothing to do with addiction or ego or any of this goofy crap you keep spouting.

Also, according to your definition of addiction I am addicted to water and oxygen.

Also also, someone posting a picture of a dude in a show you are currently watching is not "ironic". Coincidental maybe but not ironic.

I already apologized on the other thread. If you have a bone to pick with me, private message me and let me have it. I am not in the mood to deal with you. I would like it if you did not correct everything I say/do. Yes, I am not as smart as you, you have made that extremely apparent; but to be a pedant about every little thing I say or do is not trolling, it's cyber-bullying. Now please, be fair with your replies to me. It's okay to disagree, but don't make this a personal attack.

I'm not trying to correct you so much as disagreeing with your assertion that enjoying the way something tastes = food addiction. It's ridiculous.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

And when you look at that burger you're thinking "moderation? That burger would feed a family of 8 in my opinion. I never said don't eat a burger, I'm saying look at that monstrosity! Who in their right mind is going to single handedly eat that burger? And if they are, they better be a body builder who has their TDEE some where in the 4,000's.

That's three patties with an egg thrown in, of course it's not "moderation". Pointing at extreme examples and saying "that's not moderation!" is ridiculous.

But even that monster burger could still fit someone's macros and calorie requirements depending on their body and exercise level. It sure won't feed a family of 8.

And why must you always discount "body builders"? Lifting weights will get you and most everyone here the results they are looking for. They just adamantly refuse because of people like yourself who label anyone who picks up a bar as a "meathead".
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Le sigh. Trolls, trolls everywhere.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Why can't it be both?

What you mean like moderation? Eating well and finding ways to still enjoy your favorite meals?

Pfft! Like that could ever work!

:wink:

And when you look at that burger you're thinking "moderation? That burger would feed a family of 8 in my opinion. I never said don't eat a burger, I'm saying look at that monstrosity! Who in their right mind is going to single handedly eat that burger? And if they are, they better be a body builder who has their TDEE some where in the 4,000's.

but it has eggs on it!!! thats ok right!?!?

Quit trolling me. I am not an alarmist or an extreme "clean" eater. I am a human being trying to figure out why things are the way they are, just like you. Any more harassment and I'm reporting you. Yes, eggs are just fine. If you came here for the lulz I'm just going to ignore you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is no "addiction", as you so ignorantly put it, but a lack of self control by the consumers, the fat, lazy, and obese populace.

No name calling first of all (the ignorantly part was unnecessary).

And an "addiction" is by definition "Physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects." so in short it means "to have no self control" so thank you for your two cents but maybe you need to stop looking for ways to attack me and just play along in this conversation without personal bias towards people who aren't as smart as you (clearly me).

That's a piss-poor definition of addiction. By it's very nature, there is no addiction without a withdrawal syndrome. Mental/emotional dependence is not the same as being physcially addicted. Yes, some people use food as a crutch to get through life, rather than as fuel. That doesn't make them addicts.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There is no "addiction", as you so ignorantly put it, but a lack of self control by the consumers, the fat, lazy, and obese populace.

And an "addiction" is by definition "Physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects." so in short it means "to have no self control" so thank you for your two cents but maybe you need to stop looking for ways to attack me and just play along in this conversation without personal bias towards people who aren't as smart as you (clearly me).

Do you know what "name calling" means? No one called you a name. You posted one article without any other sources, research, or ANYTHING, and said, "Well, I believe it!" That is ignorance, and he used that adjective to describe your claim.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    ... because of people like yourself who label anyone who picks up a bar as a "meathead".

Never said those words.

A person who lifts weights would be considered a "high intensity" exerciser; therefore their TDEE would be the highest activity level. It's not a "pick on the people who have a better lifestyle than mine" statement, it's just a matter of fact. You do have more calories to burn than me.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Why can't it be both?

What you mean like moderation? Eating well and finding ways to still enjoy your favorite meals?

If you have that kind of relationship with food, then I feel bad for you. Maybe you do have a food addiction.
    And I didn't specifically cite that image. I just said why can't you eat yummy foods that fuel your body.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    This is why i NEED A CHEESEBURGER!!!!!

mega_tamago_01.jpg

I WANT!!!!

That would taste like the heavens, but that would probably be my entire day's worth of calories, sodium, saturated fat, and protein. The question really is, should we so blindly eat what "tastes good" just because our ego requires a certain level of personal satisfaction, personal pleasure, and stimulation; or should we be eating what our body needs and focus on the goal of making our machine (body) function like it's well oiled?

That burger is a "Mega Tamago" burger, sold only in Japan's McDonald's. It's 846 calories, less than I would have guessed.
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    Why can't it be both?

Quit trolling me. I am not an alarmist or an extreme "clean" eater. I am a human being trying to figure out why things are the way they are, just like you. Any more harassment and I'm reporting you. Yes, eggs are just fine. If you came here for the lulz I'm just going to ignore you.

aw c'mon! Lulz are fun...that was funny.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

mega_tamago_01.jpg

I WANT!!!!

me too
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Do you know what "name calling" means? No one called you a name. You posted one article without any other sources, research, or ANYTHING, and said, "Well, I believe it!" That is ignorance, and he used that adjective to describe your claim.

I am allowed to believe what I want with how much or how little information that it takes to convince me. If you are trying to force me to be skeptical of everything I read then this is a battle not worth fighting. Your job in life isn't to convince ME to believe what you believe; it's to know that you are confident in what you are believe despite what everyone else thinks.

I am not trying to sway anyone here. I was asking your opinion on this controversial journalist entry. So are you saying that you disagree? What is your UNSCIENTIFIC response to this then? My unscientific response is I do think they are modifying their foods to trigger emotional responses to food causing to crave the processed foods and not the raw foods.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, food companies do research to find what is most pleasing to the palate and they add those things to their packaged foods. I suppose it's possible that for some it can be as addicting as narcotics, but I don't believe that is the norm. Personally, I think people are more addicted to the convenience than the taste. Or maybe it's the "head in the sand" ignorance that draws them. If you add all that sugar and fat to your own food then you can't say some evil company deceived you into eating it and made you fat.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Why can't it be both?

aw c'mon! Lulz are fun...that was funny.

It would be funnier if I wasn't the butt end of that joke. You try being attacked for once and see how you like it. :mad:
  • Ms_Steel
    Options

mega_tamago_01.jpg

I WANT!!!!

That would taste like the heavens, but that would probably be my entire day's worth of calories, sodium, saturated fat, and protein. The question really is, should we so blindly eat what "tastes good" just because our ego requires a certain level of personal satisfaction, personal pleasure, and stimulation; or should we be eating what our body needs and focus on the goal of making our machine (body) function like it's well oiled?

That burger is a "Mega Tamago" burger, sold only in Japan's McDonald's. It's 846 calories, less than I would have guessed.

oo, i could eat half for lunch and half for dinner! perfect. ( i only say this because I probably couldn't eat that in one sitting lol)
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I saw that report on 60 minutes, and its only common sense. They make food taste better.

When food tastes better people want to eat it more, the same reason someone would want coffee with heavy cream instead of skim. There is no "addiction", as you so ignorantly put it, but a lack of self control by the consumers, the fat, lazy, and obese populace.

I'm sorry, but that wording is rather harsh. I thought we were here to support one another in our weight loss goals, not call names and belittle people.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    42577ba2-8600-e0cd.jpg

this
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Please explain how anything found in food is not natural. There's a reason they use those quotes when labeling them "artificial". It's a made up term used to manipulate people.

And we aren't addicted to food. We need it to survive. Kicking the habit is not recommended.

I get sooooooo sick of people referring to the need for sustenance as an addiction! As a recovering addict, I find it completely offensive! There is a huge difference between lacking self control when it comes to food and being chemically dependent on a narcotic substance.

The confusion comes in because some of the principles that are used to help drug addicts can also help people in other facets of life, including self-control and self-discipline, which can be applied to weight loss. But there is NO such thing as a 'food' addiction.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

And an "addiction" is by definition "Physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects."

Now please explain how this would NOT apply to food for every single living person. Since you've overcome your food addiction.

^^ This.....
    Last time I checked, all humans are "physically dependent" on food.
This discussion has been closed.