Would you pay for MFP?

Options

Replies

• jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay. No one is technically giving any professional advice/tips, so that'd be silly.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In my case, it is not a question of would I pay. I couldn't. No matter how cheap it was.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    If it got rid of ads and I could write curse words in the forums then *kitten* yeah, I would. ;-)
  • massagecailin
    Options
    If I had to pay, I wouldn't use it, because then I'd just switch to Weight Watchers. This was the whole point of why I liked this site.
  • TraceAT
    TraceAT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No..too many other options available for free.

BTW, you can get rid of the ads by installing AdBlock on your Firefox or Chrome browser. I haven't seen an ad in years, here or any other site.

^^^^^^^^^This
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Agree with "tech". I'd pay if we could have a less moderated, more open forum/site!
  • Motorius
    Options
    I tracked my eating using an excel spreadsheet and a scale for a year and that worked.

This site IS a lot more convenient way to do the same thing. I'm really impressed with the layout, the reporting, the ease of use, the iPhone app. It makes the process a lot easier, even fun.

But the question is: "How much more valuable is this site compared to the alternatives?"

For a low annual fee ($25-$60) I might stay here. But I am also certain that for a low annual fee, I will take a close look at the other free alternatives out there and bail if I find something comparable.

It's tricky because the database is "crowdsourced" (entered by users) and you need a bunch of them around over time to keep it from going stale. If 85% of the users depart, that's going to hurt. Then you have a paywall scaring off every new user.

Maybe:

Free for 3 months
    $10/year after 3 months
    $25/year for no ads
    $50 prepaid for $0.15/day usage-based, never expires

But you can't go there until there is a strong perception that this site is THE site to be on. You have to be the "iPhone" of weight-loss sites in the user's minds. Crack the economics of creating that perception and you're in.

I'm sure I'm not giving the site owners any new ideas. :)
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    If this site wasn't free I would have never started it. I wouldn't have started as a free trial either. Now that i'm hooked I wouldn't pay a monthly fee or anything but I'd pay like $5 to use it forever. I'm just not a person who likes to pay for things like this month to month if I don't need to.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    hell to the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. besides, there are plenty of ads surrounding us right now!
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    Options
    No. I'll just move on to another free site. I'm sure they're making a killling already with all the ads.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nope, I would go to another free site as well. I would rather see the ads than pay.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Nope! I would go to another free site or use the bodymedia site more. That's what the advertisers are for.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    No
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Noooooo
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'd pay for an app that let me use the forums. On a Windows Mobile phone. I paid for Livestrong app when I was on there.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'd have to! Otherwise how would I count my calories, know my hottness rating, or know if the person below me would date me?! :indifferent:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    No.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    No
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If there was an SLA, transparency in upcoiming features and bugfixes, and access to export my data, then I might pay a nominal fee.